Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Bus looking for Drivers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Gary10r

Really? They usually use the training school in phibsboro depot

Are you going for it? Best of luck if you are.

Might have something to do with the volume of applicants id say, yeah im in tomorrow at 10am, cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭Careful_now!

Gary10r wrote: »
    Might have something to do with the volume of applicants id say, yeah im in tomorrow at 10am, cheers

How did it go?

Was there many there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭coolbond

I applied but never got anything in the post,do yous reckon theres still hope for me or was it just the one day they were doing assessments?

Loads of time yet. Don't be worrying. As far as I know they are taking on 70 new drivers. Some people won't get past the written assessment, more will fail the driving assessment, more will fail the interview, and more will fail the medical.

I'd say the written assessment will be on over a few weeks.

They will need well over 100 for the written assessment.

How did it go?

Was there many there?

It went well. As someone said , had to do a accident report & then calculate fares given & finished off with the aptitude test. There wasn't as many as I thought there would be, approx 50 & a few empty seats, thinking there are probably other days with more groups as I heard there are 70 positions going. They said they will contact us near the end of feb to see who is going through to the driving assessment.

• Advertisement

According to information from the unions, new drivers will be starting in March. Has anybody progressed to the next stage yet?

Just heard today, got the driving assessment & interview (if i pass the driving assessment) next week, any tips greatly appreciated :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭GTE

I am sure there is something about low bridges I heard. . . . nah, nevermind. Probably not important! Just drive away I say!*

*useless advice.

Good luck though!!

Just heard today, got the driving assessment & interview (if i pass the driving assessment) next week, any tips greatly appreciated :)

I don't know if anything has changed, but when I had mine the assessment was in a automatic ford focus. All the new applicants have a bus licence already, and that hasn't happened before, so I don't know if the assessment is in a car or a bus.

As for tips, take your time, it's not a race. Drive like its a driving test and you'll be fine.

Where do you have to go? The training school in Phibsboro?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭StreetLight

Number One is safety.

Don't take undue risks, but maintain progress.
    Use the handbrake if you anticipate being stopped for more than a few seconds.

Observation is so important. Let them see you using mirrors as much as possible. Look over your right shoulder before moving off. Move your head and body to help you look around corners.

Every time you overtake a cyclist, give them plenty of room and check your nearside mirror when you have passed them. Cyclists are vulnerable and can be unseated or steered off course by the draught created by a large passing vehicle. Cyclists are held in high regard by Dublin Bus as they don't contribute to further clogging of the city by private cars.

If you don't understand an instructor's direction, just ask for it to be repeated. They won't lose the rag with you because they are actually very nice, understanding people!

All the best. :)

• Advertisement

I don't know if anything has changed, but when I had mine the assessment was in a automatic ford focus. All the new applicants have a bus licence already, and that hasn't happened before, so I don't know if the assessment is in a car or a bus.

As for tips, take your time, it's not a race. Drive like its a driving test and you'll be fine.

Where do you have to go? The training school in Phibsboro?

Its in a bus & yes i have to go to phibsboro depot for 9.30am which is gonna be a test in itself :(

Number One is safety.

Don't take undue risks, but maintain progress.
    Use the handbrake if you anticipate being stopped for more than a few seconds.

Observation is so important. Let them see you using mirrors as much as possible. Look over your right shoulder before moving off. Move your head and body to help you look around corners.

Every time you overtake a cyclist, give them plenty of room and check your nearside mirror when you have passed them. Cyclists are vulnerable and can be unseated or steered off course by the draught created by a large passing vehicle. Cyclists are held in high regard by Dublin Bus as they don't contribute to further clogging of the city by private cars.

If you don't understand an instructor's direction, just ask for it to be repeated. They won't lose the rag with you because they are actually very nice, understanding people!

All the best. :)
    Thanks for that, as much as i hate them i can understand Dublin Bus position on cyclists. cheers

I know there is nothing normal about this process but does anyone know the general route you are taking on from the depot?? its been a long time since i was over that direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭StreetLight

I know there is nothing normal about this process but does anyone know the general route you are taking on from the depot?? its been a long time since i was over that direction.

Most likely a couple of laps of the yard in Broadstone first to give you a feel for the bus. Then maybe along Phibsboro Road to Finglas, or North Circular Road to Conyngham Road, or Western Way down to O'Connell Street and Dame Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Csalem

I have spotted the Driving School RAs out in the city centre a lot in the last week or so. I was wondering if maybe that was some of the driver assessments?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭cdebru

Could bring you anywhere really it will probably only be for around 30 minutes just remember your 30kmph in around the city center if you go that direction.

cdebru wrote: »
    Could bring you anywhere really it will probably only be for around 30 minutes just remember your 30kmph in around the city center if you go that direction.
    Thanks for that, i havent drove around the city centre in yonks in a car never mind a bus, i have experience in a RV but not in the city centre, ah sure ill just be mr careful & see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭the boss of me

Thanks for that, as much as i hate cyclists

You might want to keep that quiet on the day. Most if not all of the inspectors in the driving school are keen cyclists ; )

You might want to keep that quiet on the day. Most if not all of the inspectors in the driving school are keen cyclists ; )
    Oh they are my best buds on that day, might even throw in 'im a keen cyclist myself' :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭rx8

Their favourite route is left and then right on to Western Way, around Blessington St. and then on to O'Connell St. Make sure to observe the sneaky stop sign coming out of Phibsboro Garage, and the 30 kph limit around town and you'll be alright.
    As mentioned already, the driving instructors are all really nice and they have seen it all before.
    Best of luck anyway and keep us posted as to how you get on.

• Advertisement

Thanks for that, appreciated, ye i heard about the sneaky stop sign coming out of the garage :) ye ill be back on to update,cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 4 usiaczek283

not all of the Dublin Bus passengers are so bad ;):) some are really nice to the drivers.
    Especially if you go to work each day and the same driver takes you there, replies to your ''Hi/Good morning'' and to your 'have a nice day'. It is a nice way to start a day each day when you are tired and sleepy in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭rx8

Unfortunately though, most of the new recruits will be bringing them home from the pub when they are locked and looking for a row. ;)

Thanks for that, appreciated, ye i heard about the sneaky stop sign coming out of the garage :) ye ill be back on to update,cheers

Have you had your driving assessment yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 I lost me ticket

Just got letter today to confirm driving assessment & interview next week.
    Has anyone been offered job yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 usiaczek283

How do the shifts work in Dublin Bus once you are not a spare driver anymore? Is it from Monday to Friday? you get like early shifts (morning) for a whole week and then really late ones (evening) for another week and it rotates over few weeks?
    How long does it take to be moved from spare driver to become 5 days driver? just wondering..., as I might tell my friend to apply for the job as well :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 I lost me ticket

How do the shifts work in Dublin Bus once you are not a spare driver anymore? Is it from Monday to Friday? you get like early shifts (morning) for a whole week and then really late ones (evening) for another week and it rotates over few weeks?
    How long does it take to be moved from spare driver to become 5 days driver? just wondering..., as I might tell my friend to apply for the job as well :-)

As far as I know they closed down the online application :(. Closing date for receipt of applications, I think was last month.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭The_Pretender

It seems the average is 9/10 years of being a spare driver.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭coolbond

I got invited for assessments this saturday in the gresham,did anybody else get the invited?

• Advertisement

coolbond wrote: »
    I got invited for assessments this saturday in the gresham,did anybody else get the invited?

I heard a lot if people didn't pass the aptitude test, so maybe that's why they are having more tests.

I'm also told the first batch of new recruits will be starting on March 10th.

Has anybody been given their start date yet?

Advertisement