Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Art O'Neill Challenge 2011

• 07-09-2010 10:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭

I see this event is back.

http://www.artoneillchallenge.com/

The reviews from the 2009, which raised money for Stuart Mangan, were fantastic.

55km from Dublin Castle to Glenmalure, leaving at midnight and follows Art O Neill and Red Hugh O Donnell's escape route in 1592.

Should be spectacular

Rate this race based on, Scenery, PB potential, Atmosphere, Value, Organisation 18 votes

5 stars (excellent)
    0%
    4 stars (good)
    66%
    StarkStrasserEnduroBeachMusicnerraw1111Fi HfrandivGit101jb-skiPositiveNegativFortrathMy2Cents 12 votes
    3 stars (average)
    33%
    nutts_77ultraman1ocnocAngryLipstceolRonan.p 6 votes
    2 stars (poor)
    0%
    1 star (terrible)
    0%

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Wonkagirl

Looks good- that would be right up my alley- who is it in aid of this year?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I'm almost definitely doing this. Couple of others on here were talking about it too.

I'm almost definitely doing this. Couple of others on here were talking about it too.

Is it just a hike, or is it multi discipline (assume the former given the time of day)?

There's very scant details on the site, and the 'Register now' just brings you to the mycharity homepage. So it's safe to assume it's in aid of a charity, but it doesnt say which one

Definitely sounds like something i'd be into one way or another though, i did a few night hikes in nepal and NZ and it's a great buzz

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

I'm thinking about this too. There is a mention on the site abit running it.

In the 'route' tab is says

It is recommended that both hikers and ultra runners familiarise themselves with the route using maps and the grid references below, before they begin the challenge.

So there must be different options to hike it or run it. Think the hike might be more entertaining and social though, but would be tempted to run it.

Was it cancelled this year because of the snow?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

4 stars (good)
    It was a hike/ ultra run.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_kKX_Sb4o4

I think about 10 ran it in 2009 with vast majority walking it. No event was planned for 2010.

Review of the event here.

http://www.stuartmangan.org/smangan/default.asp?contentID=9

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

We did a hybrid hike/run the year we did it. Ran up the road portion and then joined one of the hiking groups. The hikers set out a couple of hours before the runners. I wasn't at all confident about navigation (as those who watched me circling Dingle on Saturday looking for my car will confirm!) and I didn't think snow covered mountains in the middle of the night were the time to try for the first time so it was great for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭jeffontour

I ran it last year, great craic. Although the run out on the road to Kippure is a bit boring the rest certainly makes up for it.

Climbing up the ice covered surface to Art's Cross feeling like I was in Canada or somewhere was one of many highlights for me but the porridge at arts kitchen was THE highlight if pushed to pick just one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Rinker

Wow, what an amazing challenge. The race report is brilliant too.
    I'd really love to have a go at running it. It'd definitely give me a good reason to stay training through the winter. I'll be keenly awaiting any updates on this one.

I love the idea of a hybrid hike/run.. what a brilliant way to start your new yrs fitness goals!! Will be following updates with great interest..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 shipstirrer

word on the grapevine is that the site will be ready next week and that there is an ultra running race with a hybrid option. The Art Nav Night is a gps training night with a mountain leader, to certify that you can do the art under your own steam, without a guide. Would be a good option for ultra runners who want to go it alone......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭GoHardOrGoHome

word on the grapevine is that the site will be ready next week and that there is an ultra running race with a hybrid option. The Art Nav Night is a gps training night with a mountain leader, to certify that you can do the art under your own steam, without a guide. Would be a good option for ultra runners who want to go it alone......

I heard that you might be able to do it in a team which is less risky than the on-your-own option. I'll be attending the gps training night and hopefully JeffOnTour can show me what it's like to run for hours during the night. Reckon we'd have a similar speed on a race of that distance. 55k with quite a lot of altitude gain is a fairly tough proposition. What time did Enduro do it in last year?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭kingQuez

Anyone got a route map for it? Im curious what the run/hike breakdown would be if you went that route.

kingQuez wrote: »
    Anyone got a route map for it? Im curious what the run/hike breakdown would be if you went that route.

26km on road to Kippure adventure centre place, 30km mostly cross country from there as we went.

See here for Garmin connect link to route.

Took me 9:41, Enduro took a much more direct route and is obviously much quicker so think it took him 6:30 or so(feel free to jump here with a correction Enduro!). We followed the suggested route, there are more direct routes though which I'll be taking in January I think!

JeffOnTour can show me what it's like to run for hours during the night

I'll swap you that for getting me through the kayaking of the Cooley Raid reasonably dry!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

i see the website is still not ready yet.

just a quick question, i see aldi have walking/hiking gear out on thursday

http://www.aldi.ie/ie/html/offers/offers_week39Thursday10.htm?WT.z_src=main

would this be ok for this event, thinking boots and jacket as i will prob only wearing them a couple of times to break in and on the night and im on a budget.

still only thinking about doing this but its looking highly likely that i will

any veiws welcome

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Would you not be running it? Aren't they seperating it this year into a race and then a walking/hiking event or something along those lines?

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭mithril

As RacoonQueen says, a lot depends on what approach you are adopting.
    I assume you will be running the initial leg to Kippure?
    Are you planning on hiking the off-road section in the dark or running this as well?

hope to run it but as i have no navigation skills i thought i might have to end up doing the same as hunnymonster last year , a run/hike where i run the first runnable section then fall in with a hiking group
    ideally i would love to run it but would need to be part of a running group so i wouldnt get lost.
    as site is down im not sure if its a seperate run and a hike
    well RQ mirthil what do ye hope to do?
    any takers on a running group?

Running group works for me. It could be very hostile in the wrong conditions - minus 8 at night one year - so it makes a lot of sense to stick together.
    I have a reasonable grasp of the route and we should be OK with the help of GPS if we get a couple of recces in beforehand.
    I am inclined to run/jog on the the roads and trails but walk the sections of rough ground. Still carrying an injury so would not be able to run it at the moment but hoping to have shaken this off by January.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭Enduro

4 stars (good)
    mithril wrote: »
    I am inclined to run/jog on the the roads and trails but walk the sections of rough ground. Still carrying an injury so would not be able to run it at the moment but hoping to have shaken this off by January.

It's mostly off road after the Kippure checkpoint, so if you're still intent on walking rough ground you might be as well off to join with one of the faster walking groups. But then you'd be missing the joy of proper off road running!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

How easy it it running off road in the middle of a winter's night? I suppose a headlamp would be needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭Enduro

4 stars (good)
    Aimman wrote: »
    How easy it it running off road in the middle of a winter's night? I suppose a headlamp would be needed.

It's not easy. Its pretty gnarly. It was one of the few events I've done where I had a moment of realisation in the middle of it that what I was doing was bonkers :D But then, that's the great attraction of the thing (and quite a complement to the event).

A headtorch will presumably be mandatory for the event. Even if it isn't make sure you bring one (With enough battery power to see you all the way to dawn).

I agree there are not many roads, but there are quite a few sections of good trails that appear safely runnable in the dark, and where you would make better progress than a walking group.

From a couple of recces and a close reading of the maps, this is what I am thinking of doing:

Walk initially from Kippure House across the river (not sure where bridge is ?) along shoulder of Ballybrockan Hill until connect with road. Looks to be about 1KM. Not sure if any of this is runnable?

About 4KM run on the road to Ballynultagh Car park.

2KM jog on good stony trail to top of Black Hill.

4.5KM walk on rough ground over Billy Byrnes Gap until connect with forest trail near intersection of Ballinagee River and Gowran brook.

2 KM run on forest trail southwards until reach the R756 just south of Ballinagee Bridge

3KM run on a forest trail until reach the Glenreemore Brook.

2km walk following the river until reach Art's Cross.
    Ascend the ramp here.

1 KM walk on rough ground south west until reach Three Lakes.

1 KM walk due south until reach river.

1 KM walk south following river until reach Table Track forest trail.

3.5 KM run on Table Track south east until reach finish at Barravore.

Comments?

afraid i have to plead ignorence on the route but that sounds good to me
    i wont be able to pre-run any of the course but will study the map
    prob a stupid Q but is it the exact same route as last time?
    site still not up
    but if you want company on the night im in

Aimman wrote: »

The weather leading up to the event and on the night will play a large part in this, as well as route choice.

Last year it was chilly on the night and had been cold in the weeks leading up to it so the ground was well frozen. Made for some tough running/ice climbing at points but it's just a matter of slowing your pace a little to account for the reduced vision at night. A lot of the time the underfoot conditions slow you down sufficiently to ensure the head torch is more than adequate to light your way.

SUNGOD wrote: »
    site still not up

Think there's a suggested route but it's not set in stone or doesn't have marshalls checking that I'm aware of. It's point to point as far as I know.

SUNGOD wrote: »
    site still not up
    There are quicker, and entirely legitimate ways of getting from point to point, but what I have above follows the traditional walking route fairly closely. I am not running this for a fast time.

Glad of the company. The more the merrier.

sounds good to me mithril
    might have RQ(dont think she will be able to resist doing it:D) and a few more taking part as the date gets closer
    we will know more when site is up

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭dare2be

I'd like to give it a go as well. Nothing like a bit out of the ordinary event to wet the apetite for winter training. Could i tag along also? Just to complete it would be good enough for me.

• Advertisement

Just to point out from safety point of view, no-one should attempt to run this unless they have completed a regular road marathon before without difficulty. This will be a good deal tougher and you don't want to "hit the wall" in the dark and cold miles from help. Completion time is not that important; its having the endurance and the miles in the legs that is required.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement