Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yet another mass shooting

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 80,798 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn

There was only another this morning, a marine did that too, jaysus.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

There was only another this morning, a marine did that too, jaysus.

Really, jesus christ.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ Lochlan Hissing Pentagon

Is this not the one last night?

Is this not the one last night?

You're right it was last night, my bad - only just got the alert now.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭mammajamma

Its just the disintegration of the United States picking up pace. Next year they will break the records for this year, and so on.

They're going down unless something drastic changes within their society.

• Advertisement

In 2016 there was only a five day stretch without somesort of mass shooting. I'm not even sure we hear about the majority of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Was there a thread on this before now (like last night perhaps?)

Imagine how bad things have gotten if AH collectively has gotten desensitized to these things.

Couldn't see one, please lock this one if so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Couldn't see one, please lock this one if so.

I didn't see one, which is what I meant, imagine that the time would come where there's a mass shooting and no thread on AH....
    It's possible of course we both missed it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Jim Bob Scratcher

Merica

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

On an individual level of the victims and their families, it is terrible. There is a heartbreaking video on social media of a 50 something father who broke down in tears because he felt guilty about not doing more to stop the shooter because he wanted to save his son instead.

On a national level though, it is hard to sympathize. My understanding is that a majority of Americans want greater gun control yet they voted republicans back into the senate who will do nothing but dance to the NRA's tune.

They voted for a president who they knew would do nothing about gun control despite an alternative candidate who promised to address the issue.

So there will be the typical CTRL+C, CTRL+V from the last mass shooting. They'll be thoughts and prayers, democrats will demand action, republicans will say it is not the time and the 2nd amendment must be protected, the news cycle will move on but there will be another group of families forever changed and scarred, and then repeat, and repeat and repeat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

As always, thoughts and prayers.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Sad but that's the US now.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,182 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

This is why everyone in the US should be armed when going out so people like this can be taken out immediately after they kill the first person even before if they are showing signs of mental illness
    I mean every week there is another mass shooting so chances are you would be in a position to have to do this.
    Hell not even just going out, students, teachers, going shopping, babies - should all be armed. The only way to stop this kind of thing happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,370 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Thoughts and Prayers.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Sad but that's the US now.

now?? been like that for years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ Lochlan Hissing Pentagon

wexie wrote: »
    Was there a thread on this before now (like last night perhaps?)

Imagine how bad things have gotten if AH collectively has gotten desensitized to these things.

It's inevitable that we will become desensitised to these shootings. The only reason we hear of them are the strong links here to US media.

We don't seem to run threads on the 46 murders each day in South Africa. The bulk of the 15000 murders using guns in the USA each year largely go unreported.

It takes the spectacular event to be newsworthy, and the definition of spectacular is tightening every day.

By the way, I don't think this got much attention here but I saw the headline when I was looking at CNN for the midterms.

An 11 year old boy shot his grandmother in the head after she asked him to clean his room. He then shot himself.

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/11/05/us/arizona-boy-11-grandmother-shot/index.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

On an individual level of the victims and their families, it is terrible. There is a heartbreaking video on social media of a 50 something father who broke down in tears because he felt guilty about not doing more to stop the shooter because he wanted to save his son instead.

On a national level though, it is hard to sympathize. My understanding is that a majority of Americans want greater gun control yet they voted republicans back into the senate who will do nothing but dance to the NRA's tune.

They voted for a president who they knew would do nothing about gun control despite an alternative candidate who promised to address the issue.

So there will be the typical CTRL+C, CTRL+V from the last mass shooting. They'll be thoughts and prayers, democrats will demand action, republicans will say it is not the time and the 2nd amendment must be protected, the news cycle will move on but there will be another group of families forever changed and scarred, and then repeat, and repeat and repeat.

It isnt a level playing field with regards voting though. Republicans have made an art of choosing their voters as opposed to the voters choosing them. Saw a tweet yesterday which said the Republicans had a 7% increase in 2010 and took 66 extra seats as a result. This week, the Democrats had a 9.5% increase and took just 33 extra seats. The system is also purposely skewed to give as much and often more voting power to smaller populated rural states which traditionally have always been pro Republican and staunchly pro gun.

As for the president, he got three million less votes than his gun reform opponent, but thanks to a rigged system, now sits in the Oval office.
    It's hard to blame the voter when they are fighting with one hand tied behind their back.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,779 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

By the way, I don't think this got much attention here but I saw the headline when I was looking at CNN for the midterms.

An 11 year old boy shot his grandmother in the head after she asked him to clean his room. He then shot himself.

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/11/05/us/arizona-boy-11-grandmother-shot/index.html

Ah lordie , this is all becoming too commonplace . Shootings after shootings in various situations .
    It honestly makes me sad :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Watching the news just now. This is the 307th mass shooting in America this year. No words.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,182 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

That is pretty much a weekly event (most accidental).
    When its so ingrained into your psyche that having loaded guns is the norm sure why the hell would you have them locked up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

That reads like a overzealous piece of fiction. Unbelievable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

I was reading in a book today that in the US they have this really critical superego or, if you will, critical inner voice that bugs them terribly surrounding things like being unpopular and that it drives them to the point of madness whereby they conduct revenge shootings like this on the places like high schools where they were outsiders.

Agricola wrote: »
    It isnt a level playing field with regards voting though. Republicans have made an art of choosing their voters as opposed to the voters choosing them. Saw a tweet yesterday which said the Republicans had a 7% increase in 2010 and took 66 extra seats as a result. This week, the Democrats had a 9.5% increase and took just 33 extra seats. The system is also purposely skewed to give as much and often more voting power to smaller populated rural states which traditionally have always been pro Republican and staunchly pro gun.

As for the president, he got three million less votes than his gun reform opponent, but thanks to a rigged system, now sits in the Oval office.
    It's hard to blame the voter when they are fighting with one hand tied behind their back.

I agree the voting landscape and system in America is borderline undemocratic at this stage. It is pretty difficult to defend a system in a so called democracy where the winner of the popular vote is the loser. America needs to get rid of the electoral college system and they'll be better for it.

That being said, voting democrats into power is not impossible and those who voted for republicans (especially in the swing states) did so knowing that gun control laws won't change, whether this was a conscious decision in their choice of candidate, or just apathy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

Thoughts and Prayers.

As it has happened so many times now, it's clear that this doesn't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,462 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Gwynplaine wrote: »
    As it has happened so many times now, it's clear that this doesn't work.

i think it was pretty clear after the first time that BS didn't work, never mind the xxxth time

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭joe40

I know people who expressed reservations about visiting European cities last year for fear of terrorist attacks.
    But wouldn't think twice about visiting America.
    Perception is a powerful thing

• Registered Users Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Was about 30km from there two weeks ago. Scary thought.

Shooter used an extended magazine, ironically in the only US state that outlaws extended magazines.

My thoughts regarding how to tackle the gun control issue as quite elequently inferred by CJ Cregg:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,165 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

I agree the voting landscape and system in America is borderline undemocratic at this stage. It is pretty difficult to defend a system in a so called democracy where the winner of the popular vote is the loser. America needs to get rid of the electoral college system and they'll be better for it.

As opposed to what, a parliamentary system like the UK where occasionally the party which receives fewer votes ends up with the Prime Minister? There is a reason why Clement Attlee was not PM after the 1955 election, despite his Labor Party receiving more votes than the Tories.

Something missing from the above discussion is that though most of us would like improved gun control there is a wide swathe as to just how far that gun control should go. My supporting universal background checks does not mean I would support Clinton’s stance on the subject.

Advertisement