Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fair City - Worst Direction and Acting on the Planet?

• 22-10-2010 7:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Fore Iron

Prompted by last nights episode really, but been bubbling away inside me for a while now.

I often feel embarassed that people from other countries could see this show and think that's the level of attention to detail we apply to everything in Ireland!

Firstly, let me say I do not wish to take away from anyone suffering from domestic abuse, be it physical or mental, but my God that acting in that last episode was the worst I have ever seen. Before she started throwing the wobbly, Suzanne looked like a nervous and anxious actor worried about what she was about to try to portray. It was as though it was the first trial take that accidentally got on air. Absolutely sickeningly poor.

Earlier in the show, Damien appeared to forget his lines and started to head down the worng road, before pausing, thinking and correcting himself. Also, near the start of the show, two actors (detective dude I think it was and new guy - Neasa dad I think) talked over eachother as one of them forgot their timing and mubbled on regardless to finish the scene in the most uncomfortable way.

I can only blame the direction for the whole thing. It is embarassing. Is this really the best we can manage in this country? How do we pump out big name actors for the big screen but seem to have first time amateur quality on the TV? How can The Clinic be so good yet Fair City be poles apart?

Apparently this is what you get for 14 million euro in costs a year. Unbelievable.

Thank you for listening. Rant now over....:rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Meeja Ireland

This is why we need the show back on iPlayer. I'd love to debate those actual scenes. I have a feeling you're being too harsh. I didn't notice any of those things, but I suspect that attributing nerves and anxiety to the actress rather than the character is an extremely unsympathetic way to view a scene.

My problems last night were with the script, but that's another story.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭jmbkay

The domestic violence thing doesn't come across as credible. The actors don't seem to able to handle it. They are not having the desired effect, I have seen several people laughing at them. Sarah, (who plays Suzanne), is struggling, getting into the part, I mean, not just with Damian!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

This is why we need the show back on iPlayer. I'd love to debate those actual scenes. I have a feeling you're being too harsh. I didn't notice any of those things, but I suspect that attributing nerves and anxiety to the actress rather than the character is an extremely unsympathetic way to view a scene.

My problems last night were with the script, but that's another story.

Anyone know why its no on RTE PLayer?

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Fore Iron

Meeja, maybe you're right in that I am quite heavily biased towards Fair City. I have always felt the acting and direction are terrible so I guess I inevitably try to find things that are wrong.

All the same, I really don't see how anyone could possibly find that last scene believeable and credible. At a school play I would have said it wasn't great, but these are professional actors? In theory at least, what we see on the screen should be the best of possibly many takes. If that is the best they could manage, then I am at a loss for words. Some may say that it's the storyline that matters and not to be so worried about how it's portrayed, but this is a TV show! Visuals are everything! It's not radio!!!

I really don't accept that the actor (don't know Suzanne's real name) put anxiety and nerves into her character prior to her wobbly. She simply is utterly incapable of that. You are asking me to believe that she managed something special and extremely difficult just before she completed the worst scene I have seen in a long time. She's just not good enough to be that variable!!

More likely I guess from the other scenes, that the directors simply shoot a scene and as long as they don't swear or laugh during their lines, it makes it's way onto the TV.

Look at Eastenders. Whether you like it or loathe it, the standard of acting is miles ahead of Fair City. The direction and camera work is of generally high quality. The way the camera slowly zoomed into Damien last night, dragged the whole scene out pathetically and destroyed an already poor scene. It looked like a handheld camera used by an amateur movie buff. I just don't get how a professional director can see that and be happy with it.

(edit) Just to make the point, given what is being discussed in the main Fair City thread, I am not talking about the script (which is a whole other story!) or the storyline. I am quite impressed that Fair City tries to bring up difficult or controversial topics even if they don't necessarily conclude them ideally. I am just talking about the standard of acting and direction and nothing else!!

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭PBPumpkin

Fair City - the best comedy RTE has ever produced!!:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭MrThrifty

I agree 100% with Fore Iron. To me, the quality of acting in Fair City is generally atrocious and quite embarrassing. There is only a small few people on the show whose acting ability can be respected. It really makes me wonder what the acting/drama schools are up to in Ireland? I'm also starting to think that the show just takes in actors based on the suitability of their looks to the characters that they will play rather than acting ability. I am an engineer and have never done any acting in my life - yet I'm fairly confident I could do a better job than a fair amount of the actors on the show. Note that by actors, I obviously mean actresses also here. However, I don't include young actors (~16 years or under) as I don't think it's entirely fair to judge them at this early stage of their acting careers. Anyway, to anyone who disputes my thoughts, just watch any of the English dramas (Emmerdale, Corrie, East Enders) and judge for yourselves how far behind our actors generally are here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

mloc123 wrote: »
    Anyone know why its no on RTE PLayer?

It is an equity issue. :(

I am an addict to Fair City, I absolutely love it, I think it is the best soap on the box. If anyone has looked in on Eastenders lately, that has been nothing short of a comedy. Corrie is much the same.

I think the storylines are right up there with anything else, love the show, actors and the storylines. Seeing the set has given me another edge as a fan. I can recall all the places and I think it is a brilliant soap.

I know I am biased towards the show but it doesn't get the credit it deserves.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Fittle

Completely agree with the OP here.

Even the way it ended - what could have been a pretty powerful ending, had Damiens face hidden - we should have been able to see his face and his (supposed) fear and terror of the situation he finds himself in.

I've said it on the other thread, and domestic abuse is a very serious subject - but very unbelievable for these two characters.

And could anyone please explain to me why Charlie (another dreadful actor:rolleyes:) has a Dublin4 accent when he discusses books or anything intelligent...but reverts to his northside dublin accent when talking to Zumo....:rolleyes:

Storylines really are separate issues here. Imagine taking the Eastenders camera and direction team along with Eastenders actors and having them reproduce the Fair City episode last night. It would be powerful and compelling by comparison. Even with the same dodgy script.

Now imagine taking Fair City actors and production team and having them redo the Billie death episode from the other week on Easty. They could never pull it off. The storyline may be good on FC but they have extremely poor talent there. I lost a family member recently and was quite upset watching that Easty episode. Not because of the storyline but because of the feeling of shock and confusion and raw emotion that the actors displayed along with attention to detail on behalf of the production team. Fair City could never do that. Instead they took a serious and important issue (domestic abuse) and gave it a half hearted stab with little interest or professional attention.

I saw "Tracy" at the Gaiety recently in "little Gem". It was a fantastic show overall, but Tracy was blown away by the older woman who was incredible. It felt like you were in conversation with her one to one. How do those people or that level of talent not get on the show instead?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭blondie7

i do enjoy Fair City but i have to agree here the Acting last night was terrible and found myself laughing at the final scene. Not because of the storyline but the shockingly bad acting from Sarah Flood. I think Maclean Burke is a fine actor but acting alongside Sarah she is bringing him down!

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Pupito

Fittle wrote: »
    And could anyone please explain to me why Charlie (another dreadful actor:rolleyes:) has a Dublin4 accent when he discusses books or anything intelligent...but reverts to his northside dublin accent when talking to Zumo....:rolleyes:

There are people like that, maybe the actor is hinting at the character's Wandering Accent Syndrome and how it changes depending on what company he finds himself in?

The cynic in me says Charlie has a wandering accent precisely because he is unable to get into character in the first place.

It's no good trying to explain a poor performance as artistic licence. Yis can talk all you want about Sarah Flood (I know her name now!) attempting to make her character appear anxious or worried or Charlie trying to portray a under confident individual who subconsciously adjusts his accent depending on who he is talking to, but it just doesn't cut it.

Soaps are supposed to be about believable characters with realistic behaviour and relatively easily determinable psychology. Last night was as unbelieveable and unrealistic as any performance I have ever seen, TV or otherwise. It was "professional" actors doing nothing more than reading lines and following a script. There was no emotion, unrealistic body language, poor physical acting, etc, etc. They looked like utter amateurs on a cheap one shot per scene video from youtube. Absolutely appalling. I don't whether to blame the actors or the directors more, but either way, this countrys pool of talent is significantly better than that show. Is it simply jobs for the boys & girls that stops those with real talent getting onto the cast?

Well, yeah, I was probably giving him a bit too much credit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 647 ✭✭✭Namabillion

Fore Iron wrote: »
    Prompted by last nights episode really, but been bubbling away inside me for a while now.

I often feel embarassed that people from other countries could see this show and think that's the level of attention to detail we apply to everything in Ireland!

Firstly, let me say I do not wish to take away from anyone suffering from domestic abuse, be it physical or mental, but my God that acting in that last episode was the worst I have ever seen. Before she started throwing the wobbly, Suzanne looked like a nervous and anxious actor worried about what she was about to try to portray. It was as though it was the first trial take that accidentally got on air. Absolutely sickeningly poor.

Earlier in the show, Damien appeared to forget his lines and started to head down the worng road, before pausing, thinking and correcting himself. Also, near the start of the show, two actors (detective dude I think it was and new guy - Neasa dad I think) talked over eachother as one of them forgot their timing and mubbled on regardless to finish the scene in the most uncomfortable way.

I can only blame the direction for the whole thing. It is embarassing. Is this really the best we can manage in this country? How do we pump out big name actors for the big screen but seem to have first time amateur quality on the TV? How can The Clinic be so good yet Fair City be poles apart?

Apparently this is what you get for 14 million euro in costs a year. Unbelievable.

Thank you for listening. Rant now over....:rolleyes:

100% agree with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Meeja Ireland

Fore Iron wrote: »
    Storylines really are separate issues here. Imagine taking the Eastenders camera and direction team along with Eastenders actors and having them reproduce the Fair City episode last night. It would be powerful and compelling by comparison. Even with the same dodgy script.

I'm a huge fan, but I have to agree with the gist of what you're saying here. Very often the Fair City scripts in a given week are better than anything the other soaps have to offer. But it is badly let down by the directing. The camera seems to move a lot less in Fair City, and scenes where the dialogue is sparky are sometimes played at a funereal pace.

There was a scene in Damien's on Sunday night where Dean and the boys were talking over each other, and it was like a jolt of reality. It should be the basic standard of realism, but it stood out like one colour sequence in a series of black and white.

Mind you, I would give the actors a pass on this. There's a couple of reasons. One is that I think they are often very good. The other is about the directing. If the cameras are so badly directed, what must it be like for the actors?

If only we could settle this with an inter-soap act-off. Round one: Paul Brennan and Jack Duckworth - Tony Tormey versus his long-lost uncle Bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Contreversial perhaps, but I have given each Fair City actor a category of acting skills
    5 categories ranging from outstanding to "utterly atrocious"

Utterly Atrocious!

Avi
    Charlotte
    Leo
    Adam
    Felix
    Rachel
    Zumo

Borderline OK/Atrocious

Sean
    Vivienne
    Suzanne
    Zak
    Neasa
    Caoimhe
    Dearbhla
    Denzo
    Keith
    Charlie

OK, but nothing special

Dean
    Jennifer
    Deegan
    Doug
    Decco
    Judith
    Tommy
    Eileen
    Wayne
    Mark
    Jo
    Sarah
    Duncan
    Carol

very Good

Louis
    Barry
    Robert
    Damien
    Dermot
    Paul
    Christy
    Bella
    Cleo
    Niamh
    Delores
    Ester
    Yvonne
    Pete
    Ray

Outstanding

Bob!

I wouldn't expect anyone to agree with everything!

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭MrThrifty

That's an impressive list Laois Man! Don't go telling me you're not an avid fan!! Anyway, from the character names I recognise, the list looks to be on the ball. I wonder if someone from RTE will intercept this thread soon!!

Ah, here! Leo's great. The scenery provides 90% of his dietary needs, he's compelled to overact.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

MrThrifty wrote: »
    That's an impressive list Laois Man! Don't go telling me you're not an avid fan!! Anyway, from the character names I recognise, the list looks to be on the ball. I wonder if someone from RTE will intercept this thread soon!!

Oh I am a fan
    And I have to confess to building the list with the help of the RTE website or I'd have forgotten 80% of them! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭heavyballs

from a pure comedy and point of view i would love to see Fair City follow Eastenders live performance effort from last year.
    That proved the actors in Eastenders had a bit of quality and timing to their acting
    i think it would be classic but way too cringy
    btw i'm a fan,i think Deco,Robert and Bob are the best actors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 647 ✭✭✭Namabillion

It's a shame Bob is gone. He was the reason i watched it. Not so much now

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

I didn't read the full rant but I really hate the way people feel "embarrassed because I am Irish because.... " get over yourself.

IMO the current Fair City storyline involving Damian and Susanne is actually quite good. I tend not to watch soaps in full, half in, half out type of watcher of most. I used to annoy my sister with; why did they do that? and why is that happening? she'd reply FFS you don't even like these shows why are you asking so many questions?

I think Fair City is a Soap no more no less. If I was to think it was a great drama I would be kidding myself. The same goes for so many soap operas around the world. As for the UK ones

Corronation Street - over the last decade it has either gone all out EastEnders or bored people to tears with Norris storylines.
    EastEnders - So we are going to kill of one of the character when? 2 years time should give enough time to develop the story as to why we are killing them, followed by a who dunnit for another 2 years, followed by a 2 year court case.... We'll get 6 years out of one stroyline
    Emmerdale - A rural based soap that is now no more than Hollyoaks. Dead pan acting at its best
    Hollyoak - OMG its a teen drama from the UK
    Casulty/Holby City - Oh look I am driving my car, oh look I am drinking a coffee while driving my car, oh look the phone is ring I must pick it up, oh look it has fallen to the floor, oh **** I should have put down the coffee before I tried to pick up the phone from under the seat, OH **** I AM GOING GO CRASH INTO THE ACCIDENT A FEW YARDS UP THE ROAD...
    Home & Away - Let's get married .... But we are only 19.
    Neighbours - Nothing much happening down this street and whats with the shakey sets
    Shortland Street - Have you seen where Doctor X put me on the hospital timetable wait until I tell Nurse X (Add New Zealand vowle sounds for effect).
    And then there are the American ones :eek:

So no Fair City isn't all that bad, stop being so embarrassed its a fecking soap.

As for the money that Fair City gets, it a pittance in comparison to other soaps. Basing it on your 14m a year 1 ep cost €70,000 to produce. Here is Charlie Brook on making a cheap programme for TV (generally a presenter is all that is required). According to the Daily Mail EastEnders has a budget of £200m thats nearly 1million per ep, Its not worth it IMO.

It's a shame Bob is gone. He was the reason i watched it. Not so much now

He will be back. He is filming again this month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭ Simeon Delightful Tenseness

Fittle wrote: »

I call my Mother's telephone voice her Charlie Kelly voice. It's bizarre.
    I actually enjoy Fair City - I get so sick of the other soaps, (in particular the Corrie storyline involving John bloody Stape) and I thought the domestic violence storyline was done really well, if a bit long. Last night's episode was good (Mark and Dolores in particular) and as if I didn't love Dean enough before now *swoon* - I seriously love the man, LOVE him.

I'd be quite happy if I never saw Felix, Avi, Charlotte (there'd be more life in the floor of a sawdust factory), Tommy (constantly sounds like he's dubbed) and Jo again. Leo actually amuses me, I like to see what new hand gestures he comes up with. I love Bob, hope he's back soon. Louis is a brilliant character too, as is Philip. A lot of potential with him.

I'd completely forgotten about Una - I was genuinely looking at that picture thinking "who the hell was Una?!" But I hope that neither her, Robyn or Jimmy ever return. I'd like to see Louise Doyle back, and Laura Halpin - although, again, not that nasal actress who played her before - someone who can say "Mark" instead of "Mborck" would do grand, ta.

I call my Mother's telephone voice her Charlie Kelly voice. It's bizarre. .

You mean the Charlie Kelly History Voice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭ Simeon Delightful Tenseness

Elmo wrote: »
    You mean the Charlie Kelly History Voice.

*adjusts glasses* Indeed. That one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

Bella Doyle is the worst actor ever. I'm glad he got rid of that brown suade jacket, I'd say he had it on him in the first episode 20 years ago. And that stupid limp he puts on, i've never seen anyone with a limp like that in my life.

MJ23 wrote: »
    And that stupid limp he puts on, i've never seen anyone with a limp like that in my life.

AFAIK He had a stroke and that is the way he walks, in real life.

• Advertisement

Elmo wrote: »
    AFAIK He had a stroke and that is the way he walks, in real life.

You are correct :)

Advertisement