Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blackheads on nose and cheeks

• 11-08-2010 9:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Hey,

Have had a problem with blackheads on my nose and cheeks for a long time now. Have tried using exfoliants/scrubs/toners etc to no avail. I'm 34 with a good diet and get plenty of exercise and water. Not so worried about the ones on my nose but the ones on my cheeks continually turn into red sores which are unsightly to say the least. The area between my eyebrows is constantly red also. I sweat a lot when I train so don't know if that has an effect. Any ideas on the best way to clear this up?
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Have you seen a dermatologist?If its something thats recurring then thats probably your best option.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 slave_screams

Not as of yet, as far as I was aware I would have to go to a doctor first to refer me before I could see a dermatologist. The idea of paying a doctor 60€ for a referral then pay a dermatologist twice that just to be seen didn't sound too inviting. I don't think it warrants a trip to one, I'd imagine if I could get rid of the blackheads it would sort the problem. I had tried the pore strips and they just aggravate my skin.

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Jenneke87

Perhaps you don´t need a referal to a dermatologist and the doctor could give you something? Blackheads appear when the pores become clogged so the problem is most likely internal instead of external. I think a visit to the GP really is your best bet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Rubik.

Nivea For Men clear pore strips?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭jurgenscarl

1. Boil pot of water.
    2. Put stopper in sink and pour in boiling water from pot.
    3. Place face over sink and put towel over head.
    4. Allow steam to open pores.
    5. Get shaving mirror and squeeze pus out between finger nails.
    6. Dab methylated spirits on spots.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15 meeney78

1. Boil pot of water.

great, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭catthinkin

also by a facial soap and make sure you rinse well after use . Blackheads can be caused by reside soap left on the face . worth a try

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭chirogirl

Biore Tea Tree nose strips are very good also.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

Putting methylated spirits on your face doesn't really sound like a good idea...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

1. Boil pot of water.

This is a DIY method for giving yourself broken red cappillaries and infecting your pores with the bacteria from your fingers. And your nails could cause scarring.

The gp might give you a topical anti-biotic gel that'll clear the pores and the bacteria that causes the recurrance.

Try the nose strips too, and pan-oxyl 10 or 5 cream to stop your pores re clogging.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,175 ✭✭✭✭fits

La Roche Posay do a moisturiser which reduces formation of blackheads (by reducing dead skin cells). You can get the odd facial or steam the blackheads but do go easy on them.

And panoxyl/quinoderm will prevent them getting infected and spots forming.

A facial could be a good kickstart.

Btw you can go to a dermatologist without a referral from gp. least I did.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I find the sauna and steam room are excellent for the skin, especially the steam room. It really clears out the pores, make sure to jump straight into the ice pool after and it will then close the pores. Coming out of the ice pool is one of the best feelings in world.

This is a DIY method for giving yourself broken red cappillaries and infecting your pores with the bacteria from your fingers. And your nails could cause scarring.

Surely it's obvious that you wash your fingers first????:mad:

Ladies dig scars.

Put away those metrosexual therapies and man up ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Hasmunch

Try a good facial clenser and use it in the shower.
    Properly washing and scrubbing your face will help a lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Surely it's obvious that you wash your fingers first????:mad:

Ladies dig scars.

Put away those metrosexual therapies and man up ffs

#1 - Giselle is female so its pretty unlikely that she can man up.

#2 - reply like that to anyone else on this forum again and I will have no hesitation in banning you.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭janja

Origins do a fantastic clay mask called 'Clear Improvement' . You can feeling it drawing gunk out of your pores. The only downside is its black and an absolute bitch to wash off, but worth it. Google it and read the reviews, anyone i recommended it to swears by it. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Sauna and steamroom

Won't clear everything but it can help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 sopick

all you need is to go to the sauna or the steam room a couple of times and that will sort you out dont mind all them creams and stuff

If you ever go up to the Jervis Centre there are usually these Israelis selling Dead Sea Mud. You smear the muck all over your face and it is supposed to get rid of the blackheads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

I discovered lots of this stuff as a dad to a teenage daughter.I clense, tone, moisturoise and exfoliate regularily.

So I say visit your GP some forms of creams etc can only be giver by persription.

That you are alone in this is nonsense and lots of lads ha ve spotrs and blemishes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Every winter on dry winter days my face would dry out.
    Em, I'm not sure if you know what I mean by a dry winter day, when it's cold and crisp I suppose. Anyway, my face would dry out and you'd see dry flaky skin, ewwww!
    Yeah I was self conscious about it

Got a cortisone face cream which did the trick. However, this was prescription only so maybe OP you should pay a visit to a GP, they can prescribe treatments if the standard commercial products don't work.
    You may get a referal to a dermotologist.
    Yeah, these cost money but it's worth it to pay for even one consultation to get more information here OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭dinorebel

I got some face wipes from ASDA and they are really working cost something like a euro to.I am sure Tesco/Dunnes ect have there own versions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mackman

I suffer from blackheads on my nose. Ive made it my missin to get rid of them. Ive used the strips which got rid of most of them.
    Ive been using the OH's cleanser stuff lately. Its pretty good. You think your face is clean, but put some of that stuff on a cotton pad and wipe your face :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

Giselle wrote: »
    This is a DIY method for giving yourself broken red cappillaries .

how do you get rid of cappililaries

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭smk89

CDfm wrote: »
    how do you get rid of cappililaries

I think the procedure used involves a laser sealing them

Advertisement