Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Philomena Lynott RIP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I couldn’t care less about who she is or if she’s dead or not I just found it odd that the woman was all over the place going on about her son. No other dead pop stars mother did the same to me it seemed like she craved attention. Why do any of us even know who she is?

Well I presume it's how she made her living, royalties off the estate.

It's not that uncommon, Rory Gallagher's brother does the same thing.

It's a good thing for fans, it means we get loads of re issues, unreleased material, greatest hits, books etc.

It keeps the artist's memory alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,557 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Well I presume it's how she made her living, royalties off the estate.

It's a good thing for fans, it means we get loads of re issues, unreleased material, greatest hits, books etc.

It keeps the artist's memory alive.

I wouldn’t be comfortable doing it myself. Amy Winehouses Da was milking it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,428 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

I believe Rory Gallagher’s brother was his manager, there’s a bit of a difference in him giving interviews.

The tide is turning…

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 499 ✭✭SirGerryAdams

I don’t think that really happens

Maybe they mean in the urn (or grave)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

People handle grief differently. Maybe living her life though Phil's legacy was what kept her going. Never having met the woman or knowing much about her or her family, I wouldn't like to say whether she was lovely or a right rip. Things aren't always how they seem.

• Advertisement

I hope there's a thread about me when I die

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Close relative of mine works in TV production and dealt with her several times, daft as a brush but charming

• Registered Users Posts: 21,078 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

I gotta be honest (and I hope folks'll be honest too when I go into the earth too) but I thought she was a horrible person.

She always promoted Phil, and for many, many years she spoke of being a single mother to Phil, and how difficult it was...

Never mentioned she had 2 other children who are still alive, a boy and a girl. Nor did she mention Phil was only told of one sibling, and not the other. (Phil's Sister shares a father with him, but the son is from a different relationship). Nor did she mention she never visited her grandkids, and didn't have a relationship with them.

And there was no mention of her other children in many obituaries... all about Phil. Probably the way she wanted it.

Cruel woman.

She had all 3 in England, as a single mother. Phil was sent home to be raised by her parents and the other two were put up for adoption?
    Sounds messed up in today's world but a much different time back then for a single mother.

There's a history there that could lead to plenty of reasons for not mentioning them, not seeing grandkids etc. Maybe they didn't want her involved?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,829 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

People handle grief differently. Maybe living her life though Phil's legacy was what kept her going. Never having met the woman or knowing much about her or her family, I wouldn't like to say whether she was lovely or a right rip. Things aren't always how they seem.

She did say in the recent RTE documentary she was very angry with Phil for the way he departed the world, I found that telling - a lot of mixed emotions.

Strazdas wrote: »
    She did say in the recent RTE documentary she was very angry with Phil for the way he departed the world, I found that telling - a lot of mixed emotions.

I get the feeling she'd have said anything to get more air time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

I hope there's a thread about me when I die
    Why would there be? Whatever reservations you have about Philomena Lynott (and I understand some, but I'd keep an open mind, personally) she was known and liked. We don't know who you are... unless you're actually Thelonious Monk risen from the dead?! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,259 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

PARlance wrote: »
    She had all 3 in England, as a single mother. Phil was sent home to be raised by her parents and the other two were put up for adoption?
    Sounds messed up in today's world but a much different time back then for a single mother.

There's a history there that could lead to plenty of reasons for not mentioning them, not seeing grandkids etc. Maybe they didn't want her involved?

Well, she spun a far different story. Even in the VH1 Behind the Music series on Thin Lizzy, she stated 'he was her only child'.
    To me, that's horrible.

And no, they tried to get her to talk to and meet her grandkids-she didn't want to. That's absolutely horrible. She didn't even want to talk to them, and some didn't find out they had siblings, or that Phil was their brother.

• Registered Users, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

R.I.P Philomena.....lovely lady.

Why would there be? Whatever reservations you have about Philomena Lynott (and I understand some, but I'd keep an open mind, personally) she was known and liked. We don't know who you are... unless you're actually Thelonious Monk risen from the dead?! :eek:

I never died baby

I never died baby

If you did die, and returned-then that makes you our new saviour...

So if you could like, turn this water into wine...that would be greaaaaattt...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,631 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

As always, all the weirdos come out to play in AH.

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Close relative of mine works in TV production and dealt with her several times, daft as a brush but charming

What's that got to do with anything

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

A description of the person in question. If their friend said she was a lovely woman, it would be the same kinda thing. They did say she was charming.

Which weirdos? The critics?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

Which weirdos? The critics?
    More like a few miserable feckers. Remind me of Norris from Coronation Street.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 499 ✭✭SirGerryAdams

Was Phil Lynott that good? Or was it just that he died early?

• Advertisement

Yes he WAS that good

As always, all the weirdos come out to play in AH.

We have an opinion-you don't agree with our opinion of that person, just as we don't agree with yours.

That doesn't make any of us right or wrong.

Fer the love of heck, when I die-I want people to be honest. I'll be in the ground, it won't matter what folks say about me. I won't be there to hear it.

Was Phil Lynott that good? Or was it just that he died early?

Personally I think they were a middling rock band with a few hits, some good some awful, and because they were Irish they're overhyped to bejesus like we do with everything. They're probably about as significant as 10cc outside of Ireland, a band I really like but won't be remembered for too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

Not many singers have ever had the charisma that Phil had. A great singer, a great personality, and a proud Irishman. What's not to love? I thought Thin Lizzy produced some brilliant tunes as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,349 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Personally I think they were a middling rock band with a few hits, some good some awful, and because they were Irish they're overhyped to bejesus like we do with everything. They're probably about as significant as 10cc outside of Ireland, a band I really like but won't be remembered for too long.

Hopefully the ol' wan has a humanist funeral where you can go along and give a few words about the band at the pulpit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

I'm not one for lying about a person to make them sound good because they died, but it's nice to note their passing without being a c**t about it.

Yeah right

• Registered Users Posts: 24,693 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

She came across as a nice woman who was full of love for her son, his music, legacy and indeed fans....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,031 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Won't be remembered for too long? Bit of a ridiculous comment. It's been years since they were around already and they are still remembered. I regularly hear their songs on the radio here in the US, although I doubt many people here even realise they are Irish, they are a significant rock band from that era whose music still is popular. Not just in Ireland.

I mean to make it in America is pretty big for bands, even more so to still be getting radio play after all these years, and how many movies has the boys are back in town been in? Loads!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Wake up

Advertisement