Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ikea - Parking Fees ?!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,746 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Niamhb5 wrote: »
    just wanted to add that we were charged for parking in the Ikea in Zurich!
    IKEA at Lyssach (near Bern) don't charge. So I suppose it depends on location, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭celticbest

Just a quick question,

Can anybody confirm if the peak time parking charge is a temporary measure while the M50 upgrade is completed or is this a permanent measure?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭littlebitdull

The parking charge will only be from 4pm to 7pm. And its going to be kept very low....

So it would be worth arriving at 3.45 and doing your bit of shopping looking around etc. Then grabbing something to eat and leaving at 7.10pm... with no parking charge worries.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

celticbest wrote: »
    Just a quick question,

Can anybody confirm if the peak time parking charge is a temporary measure while the M50 upgrade is completed or is this a permanent measure?

Afaik its going to be permanent. The agreement was that any money made after the operating costs goes to subsidise home delivery. Also that when the m50 is finished, i think the ballymun junction is already going to need upgrading

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Elliee

Just want to confirm the meatballs will be served in the resturant AND are only 2 euro for 10 meatballs from the 27th until the 31st! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Elliee

Also the first 40 people to show up on monday morning in Sweedish costume will recieve a goodie bag!
    Car park opens 7am on 27th, outdoor festivities start at 8am.

Car park open from 7am, festivities start at 8am .... shop open at 11am.

LeoB banned for a week for continued off-topic posting. HB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 ascottdub

Please, please tell me that this a joke of some sort(ikea charging to park)

Jesus Christ. Does it ever end?

At least tell me this is NOT going to apply on opening day?? Dear god, at least tell me that.

I have taken the day off, and spent last sat pricing stuff in the north, so lets just see how the prices are.

Is there going to be any sort of flyer to say whats on special or not? Surely on opening day there will be some sort of deals to be had.

Will happily go back to Belfast if not

Thanks

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

ascottdub wrote: »
    Please, please tell me that this a joke of some sort(ikea charging to park)

They will be charging. A condition of the planning was that a fee would be imposed between 4pm and 8pm. There is a flat fee for parking of €3. If €3 is not deterring people talks that it may be raised until it makes an effect.

I have taken the day off, and spent last sat pricing stuff in the north, so lets just see how the prices are.

Prices are going to be slightly higher because of the vat rate. Some products are cheaper than belfast beacuse prices are only changed once a year.

Is there going to be any sort of flyer to say whats on special or not? Surely on opening day there will be some sort of deals to be had.

Opening day will have offers, and prizes. When your paying at the till, their is a spinning wheel where you may win the price of your shopping. The first 100 people just in a swedish costume get a goody bag of some sort.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 47 ascottdub

Davy,

Thanks very much. very informative reply. Don't have any anything swedish besides a shot glass and coasters though. LOL

This spinning wheel, does it have different amounts on it?

Thanks, and I hope I do make some purchases otherwise I'll have got up early for no reason

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Cy_Revenant

I feel I should point out, it's not IKEA charging for parking, it's Fingal County Council.

If you leave the carpark between 4 and 8 you'll be paying €3, which will go to infrastructure within Ballymun.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

I feel I should point out, it's not IKEA charging for parking, it's Fingal County Council.

If you leave the carpark between 4 and 8 you'll be paying €3, which will go to infrastructure within Ballymun.

So essentially the barriers come down during those hours, and you pay in coins at the exit? Or are the barriers always there, and you always have to validate a ticket (for free or paying, depending on time)?

• Registered Users Posts: 29 thor17

Bazwah wrote: »
    Off peak I would assume would be middle of the day. Can't confirm details for you as I'm not sure, but as said before, it was a council condition we had no say in.

Pretty sure parking is free on weekends, and considering over half our customers shop on the weekends (which is why it's so busy and why we trade late on weekdays - to get you in during the week instead of Saturday & Sunday) you can assume that the majority of people will not be affected by having to pay for parking. To be fair to the M50 commuters, imagine trying to get to/from work if we opened at normal IKEA times!

But not long to go now and you can come and see for yourself our shiny new store....

27th July!
    The parking fee is 3 euro 4pm till 8pm. if consumers still use ikea it will go up to 6 euros, If the consumer is still not "discouraged" from using ikea it will go up to 10 euro! If you happen to leave ikea between these times you have to pay the fee even though you where there earlier (I think). This is a most idiotic situation and the rest of the world must be laughing there heads off at us, I'm just going to keep using the belfast store, no way am I getting rode by the council anymore, All the money goes to Fingal county council.

thor17 wrote: »
    The parking fee is 3 euro 4pm till 8pm. if consumers still use ikea it will go up to 6 euros, If the consumer is still not "discouraged" from using ikea it will go up to 10 euro!
    What is your source for these price increases - IKEA? FCC?

Hill Billy wrote: »
    What is your source for these price increases - IKEA? FCC?

It think it was FCC. It was mentioned that it could go to a tenner.

Went to Ikea yesterday evening & saw the Parking Ticket machines but there does not seem to be any barriers in place as of yet. I presume that these will be put in place in the next few days.

I got to Ikea at about 6:30 and was able to drive straight into a parking space there was no queuing at all, the traffic management was brilliant!

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Vico1612

http://www.ikea.com/ie/en/store/dublin

Parking Information
    Mon - Fri: 11am to 4pm - Free
    Mon - Fri: 4pm to 8pm - €3
    Saturday: 10am to 8pm - Free
    Sunday: 11am to 7pm - Free
    :mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Hornet

Vico1612 wrote: »
    http://www.ikea.com/ie/en/store/dublin

Parking Information
    :mad::mad:

LUNACY!!

So Fingal County Council is happy to take the rates and to get the jobs, but then they are sabotaging a business and are trying to force customers away (if the charges can increase depending on customer behaviour it is nothing else)?

If I were Ikea, I would be quiet for the moment and start with the business and then - in a few months - sue Fingal County Council for intentionally damaging my business.

If people are not meant to shop during certain hours, then force the shop to close (as it is done for off-licenses etc) otherwise get the infrastructure sorted!

What a banana republic!

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭ValerieR

Yeah, poor Ikea - They have had a hard time in setting up in the Republic!! I am surprised (happy though) they stuck to it.
    It surely is another case of ripping us off and get the infrastructure paid for twice : through our taxes and then through a parking fee. This is ludicrous!
    Coming from the other side of the country, I'll make sure I get to Ikea outside of these 'peak' hours !!!!
    Rant over ! (Don't feel any better though :( )
    ValerieR

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Mits

I was looking forward to Ikea coming here. I think they should sue the council for imposing this charge as it is anti business. I have no intention of paying a parking fee. I live in Bettystown so going to Belfast is no big.

We do a monthly shop in Sainsbury's anyway and reckon we save at least €100 after expenses.

I have a question for the Ikea employees in this group or for people who have been out there and investigated a little further:

The shop is open until 20:00 during the week and parking costs EUR 3 between 16:00 and 20:00, correct? Is this charge payable at the exit between the hours of 16:00 and 20:00?

What if I arrive at 18:30 and leave the car park at 20:01? Do I have to pay or is parking then free?

If I understand the rule correctly, it would suggest that in the example above parking then is free. Maybe at 20:00 the barrier will open??

I am a patient guy and after leaving the shop at 19:55, it will take me a bit to load the car and get sorted anyway, so waiting until after 20:00 is not a problem. (Showing a middle-finger when passing the open barrier is optional in this case!)

If my assumption is correct, can anyone tell me how the parking charge will discourage people from going to Ikea after work, i.e. during rush-hour times? You just have to wait a little after the shop closes and all is well.

Can anyone confirm my guesses/assumptions?

I hope that this is a correct description of the scenario and all we have to ensure then is that we stay in Ikea long enough. In this case it wouldn't matter either if the parking charges are increased to 6 Euro or 10 Euro. ;-)

Hornet wrote: »

The shop is open until 20:00 during the week and parking costs EUR 3 between 16:00 and 20:00, correct? Is this charge payable at the exit between the hours of 16:00 and 20:00?

As far as I'm aware the store is open until 9pm each weeknight, I was there on Tuesday and did not leave the store until about 20:45.

celticbest wrote: »
    As far as I'm aware the store is open until 9pm each weeknight, I was there on Tuesday and did not leave the store until about 20:45.

Good point!

The shop is indeed open until 21:00 from Mon-Fri, but parking is only charged from 16:00-20:00!

Store opening hours:
    Mon - Fri: 11am - 9pm
    Saturday: 10am to 8pm
    Sunday: 11am - 7pm
    (Bank Holiday Monday 3rd Aug: 11am - 8pm)

Parking Information

So does my solution to the problem make sense? And show up Fingal County Council's stupidity because driving TO Ikea during Rush-Hour is not penalised only LEAVING Ikea is penalised. So how does that achieve the goal to ease the traffic on the M50 during rush hour? Plan cleverly and then you can buy in Ikea in Ballymun without FCC's interference.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭DHFrame

Davy wrote: »
    I think that was always the plan to have parking fees to help subsidise a home delivery service. Im sure they are going to be small enough, if your going to be spending a few bob on furniture whats an extra fiver! You could always get the bus and have the stuff delivered ;)

Whats an extra fiver? Its my fiver. Its this kind of attitude that makes them do this in the first place. Why should we pay to park when every other Ikea in the world park for free? Its a money making scam and Irish people let go of their money like its hot coals. Thats why they do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 tracy1

I went up there yesterday and ther was no fee charged , but there were barriers fitted which may come into play soon for the pay parking!!!
    Frankly I thinks their stuff is awful quality and cheap looking, I have bought a lot of much better stuff online for great prices over the last while!!!

DHFrame wrote: »
    Whats an extra fiver? Its my fiver. Its this kind of attitude that makes them do this in the first place. Why should we pay to park when every other Ikea in the world park for free?

I totally agree with this!
    Currently it is EUR 3, but it could go up. And in Ikea Terms 3 Euro is 10 nearly 10 meatballs and for a fiver you get lunch. So what's a fiver? The difference between leaving hungry or not. If you want to look at it that way. ;-)
    DHFrame wrote: »
    Its a money making scam and Irish people let go of their money like its hot coals. Thats why they do it.

Well, that is NOT confirmed! If Fingal County Council enforces the parking fees and maybe (or maybe not) even gets the parking fees, then it is NOT an IKEA money making scam. I think it has been established that it is not Ikea who decided to take more money. In fact it it counterproductive for them. I still don't know who will GET the money. Anybody has some reliable information on that?

BTW: Subsidising a home delivery scheme? Why should I subsidise if I don't use it?

tracy1 wrote: »
    I went up there yesterday and ther was no fee charged , but there were barriers fitted which may come into play soon for the pay parking!!!
    Frankly I thinks their stuff is awful quality and cheap looking, I have bought a lot of much better stuff online for great prices over the last while!!!

Since yesterday was a bank holiday I would expect that the Sunday rules have applied so it is no surprise that you were not charged.

I can't agree with your opinion about the products. Looks obviously is very subjective and there is no point in arguing over it. But when it comes to quality, I think it is definitely a LOT better than Argos or Bargaintown-type quality. This might not be enough for you, but for many people it is a good start and for rented accommodation I would distinctly prefer Ikea furniture over wobbly Argos et al stuff.

If anybody thinks that Ikea is the answer to all furniture related prayers, then you were fooled by an incorrect hype. But it certainly provides more options and good quality at a good (not always cheap!) price.

I work in Ikea, just at basic co-worker level. And according to what I have been told by my line manager the parking fee applies between the hours as stated ... BUT ... you can indeed aviod paying it by arriving a few minutes before that and leaving a few minutes after it.

But if you arrive between the set times when the parking fee applies the full 3euro will apply. Its a flat fee not an hourly rate.

• Advertisement

Can anyone confirm if the paying fees are in affect yet?

Advertisement