Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Handwriting decipher thread *must post link to full page*

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,299 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Second entry down is the birth record of Mary Brogan, daughter of Bernard Brogan and Martha Burrows.

For Date and Place of Birth I'm reading -

Fourth
    March
    Nerney's
    Cottages
    Sandwith
    Street not __________ ???

What do you think that last word is?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭ath262

not numbered

there's a small x where he was going to put the number

Good spot ath!

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭dia squish

Looking at entries 479 and 480 here.

479 - Can't figure out the place of death, occupation, or the word under the informant's name (cousin?)

480 - Cause of death?

Also - anyone think these two entries are referring to the same person? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭KildareFan

479 & 480 - seems to relate to the same person with slight differences in details; the first informant is Anastatia Kavanagh Cullen, present at death, residence 52 Mountjoy Square; the second informant was Nicholas Whyte esq, Coroner for the city of Dublin
    place of death - Jervis St Hospital; residence [hard to read] 4 Court & House Ball? on off Great Hawkins ... Lisyard???
    occupation 479 ship stoker; 480 ship fireman
    cause of death: 479 Fracture of the skull, inquest; 480 fracture of the skull by falling into the hold of a ship accidental, inquest held 10 July 88

Freeman's Journal 10 July 1888 p3 reports that he died in the hold of the Steamer "Longford"; the inquest was told he fell 23ft into the hatch, verdict accidental death [Dublin Daily Express 11 July 1888]

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

479 Place of death was Jervis St hospital, but I think after that is a Liverpool address.
    Occupation - Ship _____?
    Given the dreadful writing, could be cousin.

**edit
    Checking the papers for inquest reports, it seems he fell 23 feet down a hatchway into the hold of the steamer Longford.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭dia squish

KildareFan wrote: »
    479 & 480 - seems to relate to the same person with slight differences in details; the first informant is Anastatia Kavanagh Cullen, present at death, residence 52 Mountjoy Square; the second informant was Nicholas Whyte esq, Coroner for the city of Dublin
    place of death - Jervis St Hospital; residence [hard to read] 4 Court & House Ball? on off Great Hawkins ... Lisyard???
    occupation 479 ship stoker; 480 ship fireman
    cause of death: 479 Fracture of the skull, inquest; 480 fracture of the skull by falling into the hold of a ship accidental, inquest held 10 July 88

Freeman's Journal 10 July 1888 p3 reports that he died in the hold of the Steamer "Longford"; the inquest was told he fell 23ft into the hatch, verdict accidental death [Dublin Daily Express 11 July 1888]
    spurious wrote: »
    479 Place of death was Jervis St hospital, but I think after that is a Liverpool address.
    Occupation - Ship _____?
    Given the dreadful writing, could be cousin.

**edit
    Checking the papers for inquest reports, it seems he fell 23 feet down a hatchway into the hold of the steamer Longford.

Thanks guys!

How did you find these inquest details? I have a FMP subscription and entered the name and date into the newspaper search, but didn't get any results.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭KildareFan

<How did you find these inquest details? I have a FMP subscription and entered the name and date into the newspaper search, but didn't get any results.>

The newspaper reports didn't mention his address - often less detail in the search criteria will produce more results.

What's strange is that his death was registered twice - normally with an inquest, the coroner will be the informant, which happened in this case. For some reason Anastatia also decided to register the death.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I found the inquest report on irishnewsarchive.com . It's a subscription site - though free in libraries and schools.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭Vetch

I think that the Liverpool address is [ ] Street off Great Howard, Liverpool.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Waitsian

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1886/10851/5961850.pdf

Third entry down, father of the bride. I can't make out his first name. The surname is Tully, and he's 'living'. I think his occupation is 'Smith'?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,614 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

It looks like Norah but that can't be right.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭ath262

Church record gives parents as John and Norah

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭BowWow

Is it the Pro Cathedral?
    Have you looked at Church record?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Waitsian

pinkypinky wrote: »
    It looks like Norah but that can't be right.

That's what I thought! They subsequently had a daughter called Norah. Hmmm. Could Margaret's mother have been Norah and it's a mistaken entry? I hardly think the person filling it in would put a mother's name deliberately.

Thanks all. John it is so...

Edit: mother was indeed Norah, going by the church record.

For what it's worth, I have an Irish civil marriage record where the groom's mother is named instead of his father, said groom having been born out of wedlock.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭kanadams123

Marriage

Any ideas on the marriage of Owen Hayes and Julia Carroll (sponsors transcribed as Thomas Hayes and John Carroll)
    The very bottom of the left page! There seems to extra writing, possibly Latin? I can't even make that out!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

kanadams123, they got a dispensation as they were 1st cousins.

1st cousins?

Wow, was not expecting that!
    Thanks for the help wyldwood!

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭A New earth

My understanding is 4th to 4th dispensation is for 3rd cousins

1st to 1st is siblings
    2nd to 2nd is 1st cousins
    3rd to 3rd is 2nd cousins

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

Apologies, of course A New Earth is correct 3rd cousins - wasn't thinking properly.

Ahh Thanks Guys ! I was wondering this as I couldn't make a 1st cousin connection between them!

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭SophieLockhart

Cause of death for No 156 please, before 'cardiac dropsy'. Elizabeth Coll -

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1895/05919/4680585.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭montgo

Mitral Stenosis?

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭SophieLockhart

montgo wrote: »
    Mitral Stenosis?

Wow that doesn't even sound like something real, but apparently it is and connected to cardiac issues. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭kildarejohn

Placename in Kildare baptismal Register

Would be interested in opinions on the interpretation of one place that appears several times in the 1844 Register for Kildare Parish here - https://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000634478#page/19/mode/1up

The name appears against the entries on March 12th & Mar 24th - towards bottom of LH page - and on May 5th & 7th on RH page.
    It could be "Coolahan" or "Coolban" or maybe "Cashlan", but I cannot find any Townland names or names on map to match any of those for near Kildare Town. Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭BowWow

I read the March ones as "Cashlan" and the May ones as "Coolahan".

I looked at the register before looking at what you thought they were.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,188 ✭✭✭jos28

Looking for help with the address for Richard and Alice Keogh on this marriage cert please. Is it unusual that they would have the same surname/address ??

It's Harman Street. It was Alice's address.
    Richard may have given it rather than a barracks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,188 ✭✭✭jos28

Cheers Spurious, many thanks

Advertisement