Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

House in a bad state.

• 07-03-2019 11:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭

My cousin got keys today to a new house she's renting.
    She viewed the house a few weeks ago and said she was interested but the place needed a lot of work done.

She went into the house today but it's in a bad state.
    There's mould in places a dust and cobwebs all built up. Oven is destroyed from old greese all built up.
    There's a leak in the ceiling. There was dust and stains all over the wall and couchs.
    Fridge and freezer full of old food and completely full of ice.
    Microwave full of green stuff looks like mould.
    Rubbish all over the back yard and rubbish in presses.
    A few presses are broken as well
    Shower doesn't work there's very little power in it
    Bath tub is not sealed properly.
    It looks as if the place hasn't been cleaned in months.
    According to my cousin she would be the first tenant as the landlord is only new to the scene.
    He's done this through an agency.
    The agent promised my cousin the place will be professionally cleaned with a new oven installed and fridge and freezer and a new microwave plus a fresh paint and all little problems would be fixed.
    None of this was done and my cousin is paying 2k a month for this. She had to give 6k upfront before receiving the keys.
    She only got the keys today the lease starts from today

She feels conned. Is there any comeback can she cancel out of the agreement based on this. It would take weeks to sort this out she would rather look for somewhere else. She has tonnes of photos.

Its as if the landlord bought a new house packed his bags and invested nothing into the property hoping the tenants would fix everything and left all his rubbish behind him.

I must also mention she's gone through HAP with this but 6k upfront was her own money. Deposit and 2 months upfront

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Fol20

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »
    My cousin got keys today to a new house she's renting.
    She viewed the house a few weeks ago and said she was interested but the place needed a lot of work done.

She went into the house today but it's in a bad state.
    There's mould in places a dust and cobwebs all built up. Oven is destroyed from old greese all built up.
    There's a leak in the ceiling. There was dust and stains all over the wall and couchs.
    Fridge and freezer full of old food and completely full of ice.
    Microwave full of green stuff looks like mould.
    Rubbish all over the back yard and rubbish in presses.
    A few presses are broken as well
    Shower doesn't work there's very little power in it
    Bath tub is not sealed properly.
    It looks as if the place hasn't been cleaned in months.
    According to my cousin she would be the first tenant as the landlord is only new to the scene.
    He's done this through an agency.
    The agent promised my cousin the place will be professionally cleaned with a new oven installed and fridge and freezer and a new microwave plus a fresh paint and all little problems would be fixed.
    None of this was done and my cousin is paying 2k a month for this. She had to give 6k upfront before receiving the keys.
    She only got the keys today the lease starts from today

She feels conned. Is there any comeback can she cancel out of the agreement based on this. It would take weeks to sort this out she would rather look for somewhere else. She has tonnes of photos.

Its as if the landlord bought a new house packed his bags and invested nothing into the property hoping the tenants would fix everything and left all his rubbish behind him.

I must also mention she's gone through HAP with this but 6k upfront was her own money. Deposit and 2 months upfront

Cheers.

Did she get any of the propose works in writing?

There is a lot of problems there to go through. Many could be rectified through cleaning the place.
    I dont know the condition of the place myself so cant comment however from own experience as a ll, i have had tenants that were clean freaks and were very picky so would sometimes dent their request for cleaning. Again not saying that here as indont know the property, just a general comment.

Your best bet is to call the agency asap to see what they say. To cover yourself in case you are going to RTB also email them with pictures of said issues tomorrow also just to cover yourself. Make sure the photos you take are date stamped also. Depending on condition i do know some ll and agencies that keep deposits due to condition of the property even though it was like that when they moved in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

Fol20 wrote: »
    Did she get any of the propose works in writing?

There is a lot of problems there to go through. Many could be rectified through cleaning the place.
    I dont know the condition of the place myself so cant comment however from own experience as a ll, i have had tenants that were clean freaks and were very picky so would sometimes dent their request for cleaning. Again not saying that here as indont know the property, just a general comment.

Your best bet is to call the agency asap to see what they say. To cover yourself in case you are going to RTB also email them with pictures of said issues tomorrow also just to cover yourself. Make sure the photos you take are date stamped also. Depending on condition i do know some ll and agencies that keep deposits due to condition of the property even though it was like that when they moved in.

Was promised according to her not in writing.
    But the place is unhabitable surely there is a standard expected.

I've seen the house it's in an awful state I live close by it.
    I wouldn't let it to a dog to be honest.

Just some of the many photos below

She doesn't want to live there anymore it's in to much of a state and knows the agent will drag there feet about it.
    She just wants a way out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭JJJackal

Was promised according to her not in writing.
    But the place is unhabitable surely there is a standard expected.

I've seen the house it's in an awful state I live close by it.
    I wouldn't let it to a dog to be honest.

Just some of the many photos below

She doesn't want to live there anymore it's in to much of a state and knows the agent will drag there feet about it.
    She just wants a way out.

Needs a good cleaning alright

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭turbot

Be careful of mould - especially if its in the structure / walls / ceilings from water damage. Prolonged exposure to it can make you very sick - lethargy, brain fog and much worse. Some kinds of mould emit tiny particles that end in in the air and all dust - called mycotoxins - that are biotoxins and neurotoxins.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭turbot

Those photos look like its messy - but not neccessarily anything more than a weekends worth of cleaning?
    Is it damp etc?

• Advertisement

JJJackal wrote: »
    Needs a good cleaning alright

That's 5 pictures out of 88 I have received

turbot wrote: »
    Those photos look like its messy - but not neccessarily anything more than a weekends worth of cleaning?
    Is it damp etc?

Mould.
    Stained walls
    Broken presses
    Rubbish everywhere
    Broken shower

Giving 2k a month it's unacceptable
    Or am I wrong in thinking handing 2k a month you should be expected to clean the place completely and fix every issue on getting the keys.
    It needs a fresh paint and professional cleaners brought in. As well as mould removed assuming it's not all over the walls she has a 1 yr old baby she can't move into this place the way it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,230 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

That is fair manky alright - but TBH I wouldn't have handed over a penny until I had seen it had been cleaned and everything sorted.
    Did the LL just buy the house and think he was gonna retire on it.
    Three months rent up front!?!? Definitely would have wanted a second viewing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Heckler

2k a month for what you've shown is a joke. I wouldn't let a 1 year old near the place till professional cleaners have been in, the appliances replaced and most importantly the mould situation sorted out. How these cowboys get away with it I don't know. I've rented apartments/houses over the years. She should find another agency. Any place I rented was spotless on arrival and when I left the agency rep came around and deducted from deposit work that needed to be done. And I'm talking small pototoes. Scuffed skirting boards, a few marks on a wall, a crack in a mirror etc.

fritzelly wrote: »
    That is fair manky alright - but TBH I wouldn't have handed over a penny until I had seen it had been cleaned and everything sorted.
    Did the LL just buy the house and think he was gonna retire on it.
    Three months rent up front!?!? Definitely would have wanted a second viewing.

I know she's not the brightest person alive but I feel really bad for her it's a lot of money.
    She just wants a way out now. It's only day1 she's still living at home she won't go near the place.
    I think the ll was changing his arm hoping she would do it all. She should of went for a 2nd viewing

• Advertisement

Heckler wrote: »
    2k a month for what you've shown is a joke. I wouldn't let a 1 year old near the place till professional cleaners have been in, the appliances replaced and most importantly the mould situation sorted out. How these cowboys get away with it I don't know. I've rented apartments/houses over the years. She should find another agency. Any place I rented was spotless on arrival and when I left the agency rep came around and deducted from deposit work that needed to be done. And I'm talking small pototoes. Scuffed skirting boards, a few marks on a wall, a crack in a mirror etc.

She just wants to end the tenancy even though it only started.
    It will be weeks and that's if the ll actually does decide to do it.
    Not sure if he has to.

She just wants to end the tenancy even though it only started.
    It will be weeks and that's if the ll actually does decide to do it.
    Not sure if he has to.

Its been a while since I rented. Is there not an opt out clause if you want to leave within 6 months ? I could be totally wrong here.

Maybe bad advice but tell her walk away. Take a load more pictures. Unlikely the LL will persue her. Will just move onto the next person willing to rent.

And 6k up front ? What ? For a rental ?

Heckler wrote: »
    Its been a while since I rented. Is there not an opt out clause if you want to leave within 6 months ? I could be totally wrong here.

Maybe bad advice but tell her walk away. Take a load more pictures. Unlikely the LL will persue her. Will just move onto the next person willing to rent.

And 6k up front ? What ? For a rental ?

Hard to walk away without getting the money back.
    Plus she's on hap as well so it complicates things. Il tell her to ring citizens advice tomorrow.

Hard to walk away without getting the money back.
    Plus she's on hap as well so it complicates things. Il tell her to ring citizens advice tomorrow.

Do. Hope it all works out for the best. Keep us updated. Could be very valuable advice for others.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Set out in writing what you want done. When the LL doesn't do it open a case with the RTB. There's no way someone renting a place in that state is going to return 3 months deposit.

I would not blame her for whats going on here. Some ll and agencies promise the world and do not deliver. She cant exactly not hand over the deposit in advance as this is a requirement to show you mean business. It was done in good faith and now the agency hasnt held up their end of the deal.

Once thing, i would say is all the pics so far are not as bad as people make it out to be. Yes its dirty particularly the oven however a professional clean will sort out most of that. Oven will never be perfect based on current condition but would be usable again. TBH i would be taking the professional clean out of the previous tenants deposit as they left a lot behind.

The pics you have taken so far are not date stamped. Just so she can protect herself. I would set it so the date and time are built into the pic or have a newspaper or something to highlight the date. I know it sounds small but you will need to protect yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Browney7

I would not blame her for whats going on here. Some ll and agencies promise the world and do not deliver. She cant exactly not hand over the deposit in advance as this is a requirement to show you mean business. It was done in good faith and now the agency hasnt held up their end of the deal.

Once thing, i would say is all the pics so far are not as bad as people make it out to be. Yes its dirty particularly the oven however a professional clean will sort out most of that. Oven will never be perfect based on current condition but would be usable again. TBH i would be taking the professional clean out of the previous tenants deposit as they left a lot behind.

The pics you have taken so far are not date stamped. Just so she can protect herself. I would set it so the date and time are built into the pic or have a newspaper or something to highlight the date. I know it sounds small but you will need to protect yourself.

This.

A landlord who would let out a house in this condition will have no qualms at eyeing up a slice of that nice 4g deposit at cessation of the tenancy so the tenant needs to prep for that.

2gs a month to move into filth and dirt.

Do houses for HAP not to need to be palatial as per posts on here and so this house will likely fail a HAP inspection?

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭tvjunki

Contact the agency straight away and list the complaints. I don't understand why the agency did not do a check with the new tenant and list the issues on the lease. If they have signed the lease before checking the property then they have accepted it as is. Not a good agency if they did not check the property.

On a second note ....How could someone afford to pay so many months upfront and get Hap?

Browney7 wrote: »
    This.

A landlord who would let out a house in this condition will have no qualms at eyeing up a slice of that nice 4g deposit at cessation of the tenancy so the tenant needs to prep for that.

Do houses for HAP not to need to be palatial as per posts on here and so this house will likely fail a HAP inspection?

Cant you ask for a HAP inspection?

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭tvjunki

Browney7 wrote: »
    This.

Tenant has to find a property and then apply for Hap for that property. It may take up to 6months before an inspection takes place.

• Advertisement

tvjunki wrote: »
    Tenant has to find a property and then apply for Hap for that property. It may take up to 6months before an inspection takes place.

It can be much longer than that. I have a tenant who is over 2 years without an inspection. I dread the time it will come as although its only being built in past 10years. HAP are quite fussy and if the work meets min standards but not HAP standards, it will be up to the tenant to fight for his HAP payment as i wont pay for unnecessary work.

Just to answer the last couple of posts without quoting.

That's om my 5 pics there's another 83 just like it for all over the house.
    Doesn't include photos and videos of broken stuff.
    Mould is a bigger issue as well
    Plus the water tank looks like it's leaking looking at the pic below.

She's on HAP you can earn a certain amount and be on HAP. She also has savings which a good chunk was taken out on this deposit.

She's devastated. She's going to a solicitor the agency is dragging there feet saying there's nothing they can do she's already signed the agreement

She's on HAP you can earn a certain amount and be on HAP. She also has savings which a good chunk was taken out on this deposit.

She's devastated. She's going to a solicitor the agency is dragging there feet saying there's nothing they can do she's already signed the agreement

Pic

I attached a pic to this and can't see an attachment I'm on me phone so if anyone can confirm it's there. It's a pic of the bed room ceiling with a water leak from the water tank on the ceiling

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

the agency is dragging there feet saying there's nothing they can do she's already signed the agreement

A signed agreement does not override basic standards that are legally required. The kitchen equipment as described is not in a usable state and hence effectively not there for starters.

There was no previous tenant this is the ll forst time renting out a place.
    It's all his old stuff. Couches microwave oven blinds mattress
    All old badly worn and disgustingly filthy. I'm not talking dust and abit of dirt this is way beyond that

Just a few more pics below these are just the ones that she first took.
    This is without the broken stuff

Water tank pic

• Registered Users Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

So does the HAP pay the entire 2k a month ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

TomSweeney wrote: »

Why does it matter?

I suspect the agency is wrong. House has to be in a habitable condition.

I would be afraid to clean that house without a mask on! riddled with fungus, mould, bacteria and viruses

• Advertisement

TomSweeney wrote: »

No they pay 1250 a month towards rent but they don't pay deposit or any money up front. So she had to pay the 6k up front but she would or should get back 2250 off the landlord after 2 months because he would of received 2 months upfront already as well as been paid the HAP for them 2 months.

Advertisement