Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Books, books, books

• 07-03-2019 9:35pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,299 Mod ✭✭✭✭

There hasn't been much mention of books for a while so I thought I'd start a thread on the subject.

I'm looking to expand my extremely limited library on genealogy and related matters and hoping people will share their thoughts on what they've read and what they'd recommend.

To date I've only read two books that deal specifically with genealogy, Claire Santry's Irish Genealogy Guide and Discover Irish Land Records by Chris Paton, both of which I'd heartily recommend.

Books I'd like to get include John Grenham's Tracing Your Irish Ancestors, Paul Gorry's Credentials for Genealogists, and The Archives of the Valuation of Ireland, 1830–65 by Frances McGee.

But as well as books that deal specifically with genealogy I'm wondering what books people have read on related subjects that have helped them with their research generally, such as books on the social history of 18th and 19th century Ireland for instance.

I look forward to everyone's comments and recommendations.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭BowWow

Two that I have are Paton's "Tracing Your Irish Family History on the Internet" and Ryan's "Tracing your Dublin Ancestors". Both of these were good in my early research days a couple of ago - but to be honest I find there is a lot of repetition between all the genealogy books. Also things are moving so fast on the internet front that a book seems out of date quickly - if that makes sense...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,614 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

John Grenham has a new edition out at some stage this year so I think wait on that.
    Paul Gorry's book - only read if you want to be a professional genealogist.

The Surnames of Ireland by Edward MacLysaght is essential.

Blaine Bettinger's book on DNA testing, which is in the same series as Claire Santry's.

The Flyleaf series I found very useful as a beginner but haven't looked at the editions I have for a long time now.

A New Genealogical Atlas of Ireland by Brian Mitchell.

Directory of Irish Archives
    edited by Seamus Helferty and Ray Refausse

Researching Scots-Irish ancestors by William Roulston (haven't read the second ed yet but believe is vg)

I do read more Irish history generally now to add to my background knowledge but I don't necesssarily read them cover to cover.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,299 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

pinkypinky wrote: »
    John Grenham has a new edition out at some stage this year so I think wait on that.
    Didn't know that - thanks for the heads up.
    Paul Gorry's book - only read if you want to be a professional genealogist.
    Have you read it? Any thoughts?

Genealogy Forum Mod

It's an interesting history of genealogy and countries which have accreditation and the conditions to achieve it. I don't agree with everything he says.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭Vetch

It's an interesting history of genealogy and countries which have accreditation and the conditions to achieve it. I don't agree with everything he says.

Out of interest, what types of conditions does he suggest?

• Advertisement

It's not his suggestions, it's the actual rules of each accrediting body.

For example, in Ireland, having a recognised accredited college course in genealogy is not taken into consideration by AGI.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭Vetch

It's not his suggestions, it's the actual rules of each accrediting body.

For example, in Ireland, having a recognised accredited college course in genealogy is not taken into consideration by AGI.

I know little of genealogy courses but not taking them into consideration might have a lot to do with how the courses are 'recognised' or 'accredited', and who does these things. Looking at the list of AGI criteria, having to work full-time as a genealogist seems like a high bar to achieve.

OP, apologies for dragging your thread off-topic.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,299 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Vetch wrote: »

No probs Vetch - it all adds to the debate.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Vetch wrote: »
    I know little of genealogy courses but not taking them into consideration might have a lot to do with how the courses are 'recognised' or 'accredited', and who does these things. Looking at the list of AGI criteria, having to work full-time as a genealogist seems like a high bar to achieve.

Oh I agree entirely there but when you exclude ones that are/were run by UCD and UCC and are a recognised FETAC course(or whatever we call that now)...indeed, I cannot meet the AGI criteria myself because I have mortgage and could barely earn a couple of months worth of bills from genealogy. I wish I could...

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 37 cat_r

I checked Amazon and it's due out on 5th April. Now, to pre-order or wait till then...? :)
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tracing-Your-Irish-Ancestors-Grenham/dp/0717174654/

• Advertisement

Buy it in Ireland!

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement