Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Mavic mini

• 12-11-2019 8:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12 paddymcg

Anyone getting the new dji Mavic mini. Under 250g so doesn't have to be registered. 2.7k camera. Size of a average smartphone. 4km range. 30 minute flight. €399. Or €499 for fly more combo pack which comes with 3 batteries extra propellers and a case.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,357 ✭✭✭squonk

Yeah, I have one ordered. It’s still waiting to ship but I’m looking forward to finally getting it whenever that will be

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

paddymcg wrote: »
    Anyone getting the new dji Mavic mini. Under 250g so doesn't have to be registered. 2.7k camera. Size of a average smartphone. 4km range. 30 minute flight. €399. Or €499 for fly more combo pack which comes with 3 batteries extra propellers and a case.

Just on the 4km range. You wont get that in Ireland as you'll be using the CE version which I believe is restricted.
    No obstacle avoidance either.
    I'm not sold on it. I have the spark and the only thing thats tempting me is the flight time.
    Still a great price

• Registered Users Posts: 8,357 ✭✭✭squonk

Yeah, I think 4Km is a bit far to send one of these anyway even if you could. I have a phantom 3 which I can get out to about 1.5 miles in hilly terrain. That’s more than enough and I generally fly nearby missions really.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 paddymcg

Yeah I've seen range tests done on the ce version. Up to 2k. Had a phantom 3 myself before but would generally loose range at about 700 meters. Sold it as found it was too big not portable enough. Be nice to have a bit more range but. Dont care about the obstacle avoidance as I never had it before with the phantom. Interesting to see what range anyone gets here in ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭FrostyJack

I am picking one up tomorrow so hopefully will have a range test done by the weekend. Apparently the CE lock is GPS controlled, so say you brought it to the US it would revert to FCC spec and would have higher output. One youtube test in urban environment showed it got 600m, that isn't bad I suppose. I don't think I would risk testing that with the risk of interference. The price and portability is what sold me on it.

• Advertisement

FrostyJack wrote: »
    I am picking one up tomorrow so hopefully will have a range test done by the weekend. Apparently the CE lock is GPS controlled, so say you brought it to the US it would revert to FCC spec and would have higher output. One youtube test in urban environment showed it got 600m, that isn't bad I suppose. I don't think I would risk testing that with the risk of interference. The price and portability is what sold me on it.

Ok would appreciate if you let me know how you got on and what you think of it. Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭stuff.hunter

well, as far as I'm aware, Mini comes in two versions FCC and CE with model numbers with drones GPS responsible for changing between modes so usual FCC 'hack' used on Air or Spark probably wont work.

Personally wouldn't buy it as there's very little or when comparing to Air:
    - very similar dimensions
    - weight itself doesn't really matter in EU

and a lot of disadvantages:
    - no sensors
    - degraded camera
    - need controller
    - badly overpriced, at the end of the day its more a toy and you can buy far superior drone for less (e.g. Hubsan Zino)

..but that's my personal opinion :)

well, as far as I'm aware, Mini comes in two versions FCC and CE with model numbers with drones GPS responsible for changing between modes so usual FCC 'hack' used on Air or Spark probably wont work.

Personally wouldn't buy it as there's very little or when comparing to Air:
    - very similar dimensions
    - weight itself doesn't really matter in EU

and a lot of disadvantages:
    - no sensors
    - degraded camera
    - need controller
    - badly overpriced, at the end of the day its more a toy and you can buy far superior drone for less (e.g. Hubsan Zino)

..but that's my personal opinion :)
    I don't think you could compare it to the Air. Its a totally different pricepoint no? Practically double the price.
    I think a comparison to the Spark is fairer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,826 ✭✭✭ozmo

Keeping an eye on this - size, low noise and battery life look great
    but range doesnt looks impressive on uk youtube videos - with video breaking up completely at as near as 320m in wide open fields - probably worse with a few houses around.

Also wasn't impressed not being able adjust brightness of the image so the ground looks quite dark when there is sky in the shot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InTOYI2dRb0 (see 5m13s in)

“Roll it back”

seannash wrote: »
    I don't think you could compare it to the Air. Its a totally different pricepoint no? Practically double the price.
    I think a comparison to the Spark is fairer

true but tried to point out that Mini's specs / price ratio is very bad even comparing to the Spark :)

• Advertisement

true but tried to point out that Mini's specs / price ratio is very bad even comparing to the Spark :)
    The big sell would be the flight time for me.
    Better camera on the mini compared to the Spark.
    Not sure what a Spark is going for now but I think its a similar price point.
    Spark struggles in wind too.
    Its tough to call to be honest. I have the spark and the flight time frustrated me, its manageable with extra batteries but constantly swapping them out gets tiresome

ozmo wrote: »
    Keeping an eye on this - size, low noise and battery life look great
    but range doesnt looks impressive on uk youtube videos - with video breaking up completely at as near as 320m in wide open fields - probably worse with a few houses around.

Also wasn't impressed not being able adjust brightness of the image so the ground looks quite dark when there is sky in the shot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InTOYI2dRb0 (see 5m13s in)

yup, plus Minis GPS looks dodgy, it seem to lose satellites lock which I've seen on other videos as well (9 - 12 satellites locked on), thats pretty weird especially in open area

seannash wrote: »
    The big sell would be the flight time for me.
    Better camera on the mini compared to the Spark.
    Not sure what a Spark is going for now but I think its a similar price point.
    Spark struggles in wind too.
    Its tough to call to be honest. I have the spark and the flight time frustrated me, its manageable with extra batteries but constantly swapping them out gets tiresome

you're right with flying time but other than that, still would go for Spark :)

you're right with flying time but other than that, still would go for Spark

Spark has half the battery life, 720p vs 2.7k camera, almost half the range, lower wind tolerance and cost more new. The only thing it really has over the mini is the follow me mode and few other quick shot features which could be added on firmware down the line. Unless you have a spark and don't think it is worth the upgrade there is no real metric to pick it over the mini. It is even more expensive on Amazon even though it is a year or 2 older.

I updated mine and charged it up but weather was too bad to fly today. Hopefully conditions are better tomorrow and can actually test it and see if spec is anyway true. I didn't get the fly more combo which I regret now as I could have 3 batteries ready to go. Seemed to be charging for ages with the usb micro charger I am using.

Spark has half the battery life, 720p vs 2.7k camera, almost half the range, lower wind tolerance and cost more new. The only thing it really has over the mini is the follow me mode and few other quick shot features which could be added on firmware down the line. Unless you have a spark and don't think it is worth the upgrade there is no real metric to pick it over the mini. It is even more expensive on Amazon even though it is a year or 2 older.

I updated mine and charged it up but weather was too bad to fly today. Hopefully conditions are better tomorrow and can actually test it and see if spec is anyway true. I didn't get the fly more combo which I regret now as I could have 3 batteries ready to go. Seemed to be charging for ages with the usb micro charger I am using.

Ok would love to know how you get on. Keep us updated jack

Ok would love to know how you get on. Keep us updated jack

Great start. Raining all morning and when got a break in clouds I ran out with it. Calibrated compass ok but when went to do IMU it won't let me press start. Looking online for help, going to try factory reset. It is also giving gimbal not connected error as well I hope it is just glitch that is related or else it will have to go back. Raging.

Great start. Raining all morning and when got a break in clouds I ran out with it. Calibrated compass ok but when went to do IMU it won't let me press start. Looking online for help, going to try factory reset. It is also giving gimbal not connected error as well I hope it is just glitch that is related or else it will have to go back. Raging.

Ah jaysus. And you have firmware all updated. Hate to say it but sounds like a faulty one.

Ah jaysus. And you have firmware all updated. Hate to say it but sounds like a faulty one.

Brought it back to store and they gave a new one as replacement, so hopefully this one will be fine. He said mine was the first one back with issue so could of just been unlucky. Going to do calibrations tonight and hopefully get some clear weather in the morning.

Brought it back to store and they gave a new one as replacement, so hopefully this one will be fine. He said mine was the first one back with issue so could of just been unlucky. Going to do calibrations tonight and hopefully get some clear weather in the morning.

I would have been tempted to go for the combo pack. Keep us updated

paddymcg wrote:
    I would have been tempted to go for the combo pack. Keep us updated

Yeah it is the way to go I think. Trying to find out how much just the combo is separately. They do it for all the other models I think. Will try pick it up after xmas if bank balance allows. I charged controller and drone and updated firmware using PC this time. It all calibrated perfectly. The other one must have been defective or stuck in some mode. When connecting old drone the led at the back rotated through every colour when connected to PC, the new one just flashed green so the issue must be around that. Should get some action tomorrow so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,826 ✭✭✭ozmo

> Seemed to be charging for ages with the usb micro charger I am using.

Think you have to use a specifc type of fastcharger and its supposed to charge very fast (uses a higher voltage than the standard 5v)
    Did it not come with one in the box?

“Roll it back”

Same. It just comes with micro usb cable. I didn't use my Samsung fast charger as I am afraid it could damage it. The fly more combo is a must.

Took her up this morning. Very happy with the stability in decent wind. Didnt give it a range test as I was messing with the controls and testing camera. It is quite quiet considering. The other half didn't hear it in the house at all. Ran it in C mode and was easy to control. Have trees surrounding me so didn't risk the quick shots. Just as I was finishing up I sent it straight up. I was putting it into 2.7k mode and my phone crashed. It landed with the controller fine while phone reset. No idea what happened, I have a Note 9 and it barely fits. The connection to controller is on the hairy edge of fitting. I don't know if it came out slightly or the dji app crashed it. Back on charge now so hopefully will be clear later to get another run.

Got to do a range test and results slightly less than ones on youtube though there were a lot of obstacles in the way. Return to home worked perfectly though and landed within a metre of the same spot. I ran it with phone in airplane mode and there was no repeat of phone crash, after about 20 minutes of use. When I went to review the 2.7k and 1080p 60 fps footage on sd card it was stopping and starting all over the place. I was raging thinking the recommended sd card was not good enough or there was another fault but when I opened it with window media player as apposed to vlc it played fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Looking like these will sell like hot cakes coming up to Christmas....
    Always felt the Spark was overpriced by 20-30% but this seems just about right

Also if you're thinking of buying, +1 for the Fly More Combo, one battery will never be enough ;)

Got to do a range test and results slightly less than ones on youtube though there were a lot of obstacles in the way. Return to home worked perfectly though and landed within a metre of the same spot. I ran it with phone in airplane mode and there was no repeat of phone crash, after about 20 minutes of use. When I went to review the 2.7k and 1080p 60 fps footage on sd card it was stopping and starting all over the place. I was raging thinking the recommended sd card was not good enough or there was another fault but when I opened it with window media player as apposed to vlc it played fine.
    Sounds good. What was the range like. Wonder is it much better than the phantom 3. I may have the chance of getting a mavic pro original brand new in a combo pack for 999. Or the new mavic 2 pro with the 20mp hasselbad canera at 1249. After the mavic pro came the pro platinum. So wonder if it's a bit old. Or might just go with the mavic mini combo. Decisions

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭rash

Young lad is looking for one for Xmas, the fly app is 64 bit so won't run on his Moto G5s. Anyone using app on a phone that's not too expensive? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

rash wrote: »
    Young lad is looking for one for Xmas, the fly app is 64 bit so won't run on his Moto G5s. Anyone using app on a phone that's not too expensive? Thanks.
    There's a compatibility list at the end of this page if thats any help: https://www.dji.com/ie/dji-fly

Maybe pick the older phones on that lift and compare the specs with your sons phone.

Edit: Bit more: https://forum.dji.com/thread-202136-1-1.html

rash wrote: »

https://cultofdrone.com/dji-fly-compatible-device/#list

paddymcg wrote:
    Sounds good. What was the range like. Wonder is it much better than the phantom 3. I may have the chance of getting a mavic pro original brand new in a combo pack for 999. Or the new mavic 2 pro with the 20mp hasselbad canera at 1249. After the mavic pro came the pro platinum. So wonder if it's a bit old. Or might just go with the mavic mini combo. Decisions

I reckon you could get 600 m in an open area at least ;) . I have a syma x5 and x8 and they don't even compare. A slight breeze and they are a mile off course. Useless in Ireland. The mini is a different league. I have never used a pro or 2, so going by reviews and specs they are much better but it all depends what you want. If you only bring it out once in a while it is an expensive paper weight. I can't afford the Air never mind the big boys but if I get much use out of this I may invest next year in the 3 if it comes out or the Air 2. As the mini is so small I can bring it anywhere and it is fairly quiet too compared to the others. When I take it up the mountains will be the real test. Don't think I fancy letting it out on top of Carrantouhill but maybe on smaller mountains on calmer days. If they put the follow me mode on it I will be happy out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭jay28

I used to have a phantom 4 a few years ago, I found it great except for it's size and transportation.

Have the mavic mini on order through Harvey Norman's, when it arrives tho is anyone's guess.

Advertisement