Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to fly a drone in Ireland

• 09-05-2017 3:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭m_stan

New to the drone hobby - yes I've jumped on your bandwagon. Just purchased a DJI Mavic Pro, registered it and have read the regulations from the IAAA.

Can someone clarify for me whether it's legal to fly in a public park or not? eg: St Anne's Park, the Phoenix Park, St Stephens Green for example?

If my read of the regulations is correct, it's technically only legal to fly on private land. Is that a good way to think about it?

Any advice on where I can fly within the rules would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

You cannot fly anywhere in Phoenix Park, because it's prohibited airspace due to the Aras etc. In the other two parks you mentioned, and indeed anywhere within 15 miles (I think, though it could be 20) of Dublin Airport, you cannot fly above 50 ft - this is called controlled airspace.

You then have the usual limitations of not flying within 30 metres of any person or building and not flying within 120 metres of a congregation of people.

In terms of where it's legal to fly...it's legal to fly anywhere as long as the above is adhered to. If you're taking off from or landing on private land, you need permission from the land owner, but it's perfectly legal to do so on public property as long as you're far enough away from everything as above.

Poster here for common rules: https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/p960x960/16991780_10154270635290848_7049142253023082252_o.jpg?oh=8f3ab86ba45a629fb0255fca6733b471&oe=59B91CD5
    You can use this map to determine if you're in controlled (yellow) or prohibited (red) airspace: https://www.flyryte.com/airspace/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

Download an app called airmap handy to use before you even turn on your drone it will check the area your in.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Denisoftus

Poster here for common rules: https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/p960x960/16991780_10154270635290848_7049142253023082252_o.jpg?oh=8f3ab86ba45a629fb0255fca6733b471&oe=59B91CD5

You can use this map to determine if you're in controlled (yellow) or prohibited (red) airspace: https://www.flyryte.com/airspace/

This is very confusing. First link states never flight closer then 5km from any aerodrome, right, ok, but the second link shows Bray (far longer then 5km from Dublin airport), for example, as Class C airspace, which limits you to 15m alt (again according to the website). What is this site anyway? And where does it take the map data from? I could not confirm on IAA site that this area is restricted to 15m to flight drones. Is there an official IAA map to confirm it?

By the way, Flyryte site now offering online course, is it worth taking it? With so many restrictions and rules one can be so easily and genuinely confused.

Denisoftus wrote: »
    This is very confusing. First link states never flight closer then 5km from any aerodrome, right, ok, but the second link shows Bray (far longer then 5km from Dublin airport), for example, as Class C airspace, which limits you to 15m alt (again according to the website). What is this site anyway? And where does it take the map data from? I could not confirm on IAA site that this area is restricted to 15m to flight drones. Is there an official IAA map to confirm it?

By the way, Flyryte site now offering online course, is it worth taking it? With so many restrictions and rules one can be so easily and genuinely confused.

Nobody can fly within 5 km of any airport. If you're licensed, you can fly with express permission from the IAA. Outside that, usually to 15 miles (this is Class C), anyone can fly without permission, but only up to 15 m (or 50 ft). Outside that again, you can fly pretty much un-restricted - max of 120 m altitude, and 300 m distance from controller to drone.

Unfortunately the IAA don't offer an official online map of Irish airspace - you're forced to buy a hard copy from OSI, which is expensive and just behind the times IMHO. So that FlyRyte online map is an unofficial map, pretty much just as a guide. What's there is accurate though, and while I don't have experience with FlyRyte personally, they have a great reputation in the drone industry here, so if you're interested in learning everything I would recommend the course on reputation alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Denisoftus

Outside that, usually to 15 miles (this is Class C), anyone can fly without permission, but only up to 15 m

I can't find this restriction anywhere on IAA website. Where did you see it?

• Advertisement

Denisoftus wrote: »
    I can't find this restriction anywhere on IAA website. Where did you see it?

U.04

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭m_stan

The maps in the doc above seem to suggest that only parts of the Phoenix park are a no fly zone. Is it possible to fly outside the marked no fly zone or is the entire park off limits? Thanks!

Yeah, looks like the prohibited airspace centres on the Aras with a radius of about 1.8 km, so outside of that it's just a case of staying below 50 ft.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭tawnyowl

Yeah, looks like the prohibited airspace centres on the Aras with a radius of about 1.8 km, so outside of that it's just a case of staying below 50 ft.
    Does the Leinster Model Flying Club fly to the west of St. Marys' Hospital? They fly in the Fifteen Acres area, I gather: http://www.leinstermodelflyingclub.ie/about-us.html

tawnyowl wrote: »
    Does the Leinster Model Flying Club fly to the west of St. Marys' Hospital? They fly in the Fifteen Acres area, I gather: http://www.leinstermodelflyingclub.ie/about-us.html
    I've no idea, but based on the map on their website, it's actually inside prohibited airspace, so they likely have an agreement with the IAA to fly there on a regular basis.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

The mavic may be outside the scope of the IAA regulations if the 1kg threshold is still in place, although might still be if it has metal parts etc.

Bruthal wrote: »
    The mavic may be outside the scope of the IAA regulations if the 1kg threshold is still in place, although might still be if it has metal parts etc.

That's likely the change pretty quickly, and the laws are there good reason, so people should be looking to follow them unless they have one of these

20151201041220297.jpg

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7 dirtydancing

A bit late to the party, but does anyone how to deal with the limitation proposed by OPW on national monuments? Is the the case of "no taking off or landing within our properties", or are they considered restricted airspace?

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭stuff.hunter

A bit late to the party, but does anyone how to deal with the limitation proposed by OPW on national monuments? Is the the case of "no taking off or landing within our properties", or are they considered restricted airspace?

as far as I know, national monuments are not classified as restricted airspace (unless in regular restricted areas :) ) and most of them are on private owned land so in theory no extra restrictions apply but... usually there are visitors around so flying over is prohibited. Also, when taking off from outside of the monuments site while on private property, you should get (farmers?) permission to do so.
    On the IAA website ( https://www.iaa.ie/general-aviation/drones ) you can find a link to the Heritage.ie website which says 'PLEASE NOTE: THE USE OF DRONES IS NOT PERMITTED AT NATIONAL MONUMENT SITES' and pointing you back to the IAA where is no other heritage sites related info :) so I'd say that taking off and landing on the site is prohibited, safe flying over is ok

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

It's a tough one. You need to pay attention to the signage in the area. Flying over people/crowds is a no no.

I was at the curragh a few months ago, there are no drones or planes allowed to fly anywhere in that area. Probably would have been able to get some great shots with all the sheep freely roaming.

Check the Airmap app and if you need to fly in a restricted place, make sure you have permission first.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

Man if you want action with a drone go to the cliffs of moher or Doolin and you'll get spectacular footage.

Loop heads another place worth a shot, thats if you're ever down this way.

So would I be right in saying that as a general rule of thumb, the general gist of things is you can pretty much do what you want, as long as you're not flying too high (over 50ft) and not over a crowded area (ie; festival, parade, etc.).

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,638 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

So would I be right in saying that as a general rule of thumb, the general gist of things is you can pretty much do what you want, as long as you're not flying too high (over 50ft) and not over a crowded area (ie; festival, parade, etc.).

Add to that that you have a line of sight restriction and can't fly near vehicles that are not within your control.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,158 ✭✭✭Top Dog

IAA website says you can fly to 120m (400ft) altitude.

Top Dog wrote:

True, I think Elianna Salmon Marksman meant without having to register the drone.

• Advertisement

tedpan wrote: »
    True, I think Elianna Salmon Marksman meant without having to register the drone.
    Ah. Apologies so :o Only learning all the rules & regs myself :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭99nsr125

If the drone is registered what is the maximum ceilng then

99nsr125 wrote: »
    If the drone is registered what is the maximum ceilng then
    120m/400ft

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,638 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Just for anyone wondering, registration involves putting your details online, giving the drone model details and serial number, which costs €5 for 2 years. You'll then get sent out a IAA registration sticker to attach to your drone. It's a pretty inoffensive process, so would recommend it if you plan on flying in the wild. It also gives you a small bit of credibility if you get any hassle if you do get approached, as most non drone people don't have a clue what you can and can't do.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭robinwing

delly wrote: »
    Just for anyone wondering, registration involves putting your details online, giving the drone model details and serial number, which costs €5 for 2 years. You'll then get sent out a IAA registration sticker to attach to your drone. It's a pretty inoffensive process, so would recommend it if you plan on flying in the wild. It also gives you a small bit of credibility if you get any hassle if you do get approached, as most non drone people don't have a clue what you can and can't do.

Hi whats the address for registering online please ?

robinwing wrote: »
    Hi whats the address for registering online please ?

Register Here

Cheers. Been flying for years and just did registered there now. Could never actually find where to register. Website always struck me as a mess, but maybe I just never bothered looking hard enough.

Cheers. Been flying for years and just did registered there now. Could never actually find where to register. Website always struck me as a mess, but maybe I just never bothered looking hard enough.

Yeah the website has gotten slightly better recently but still a pain to navigate.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,250 ✭✭✭Homer

Top Dog wrote: »

It’s very much down to the flight space you are in. For example, all of Dublin is 50ft which is actually 15 metres! Class G airspace would be 120m

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Having a drone such as a mavic Pro etc with its abilities, is now getting like having a formula one car but you can only drive it in a shopping centre car park.

Range of about 4km and full autopilot home etc but ye won't be able to fly it outside your living room in time.

Advertisement