Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bought a dodgy car...

• 16-08-2014 1:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

I really need advise..

In May this year, we bought a 00 1.4 Golf. We new when buying that it needed a few small jobs done (no NCT, water pump + timing belt done recently plus serviced - according to the ad), but after initial inspection and bargaining, we got the car for €650 (asking price €800). It drove perfect for 2 weeks, then the valves in the engine went. We replaced the engine (cheapest option) and the car was still not right. The mechanic said all the bulbs from the dash were removed. You know the lights that appear on the dash if the oil is low etc. The seller removed these so on initial inspection, they wouldn't come on.

We then sent the car to our local garage. He told us the amount of issues with the car was not worth the amount of money we would have to spend. He gave us a list of about 20 different codes, which the car shouldn't have. For example, the spark plugs were all different, apparently they are supposed to be the same?

Anyway, my question is.... What come back do i have here? The seller was a complete cowboy. We are out of pocket by €1150 and still no car..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Did you buy the car privately or from a dealer?

If it's from a dealer, then you might have had a guarantee and therefore some comeback. If you bought the car privately? No comeback, I'm afraid. Caveat Emptor - the car was bought as seen...

Why didn't you take a mechanic with you when you viewed the car? A water pump for a Golf isn't exactly small and is pretty expensive to replace.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

if you bought privately these is no comeback.
    you could sell it for scrap, doesn't sound as though it would be worth bringing up to nct standard.
    bad luck though.

A 13 year old car with no NCT would be a big red flag to me, I'm afraid...

• Registered Users Posts: 14 ladyking85

We were just looking for a cheap run-around car to last a few months. It was the one time we didn't bring a mechanic with us. I've bought privately several times and never had an issue like this.

I text the seller yesterday asking him for the name and number of the 'mechanic' who did the work on the car, no response.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

The issue with the spark plugs isn't with the seller, if you had a new engine fitted. Unless the person fitting the engine changed them over which would be bad form not to notice on his behalf. With regard to all of the fault codes, they should be erased and rechecked in a week or 2 to see if any come back on.

• Registered Users Posts: 80,798 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn

It's a pretty basic check when the ignition comes on to see that all warning lights come on to see the bulbs are not removed, to be honest for €650 and knowing it was a fixer upper you will have no comeback.

He had the bulbs removed so if there was a problem with something (where the lights would come on) the light wouldn't come on giving the impression its working perfect. I'll never buy privately again. Huge mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

Normally they all come on at the start and then go off.

I don't think you are getting what I mean.

• Advertisement

Anyway, all i wanted to know was 'do i have any comeback?'. Its clear i don't.

Sadly, I think the answer's no. I'd be looking to flog the car for scrap.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

You don't have any comeback. I'm not sure what you expect from a car that you paid €600 for, it's falling apart and is only good for scrap by the sounds of it. An average mechanic will charge €400+ to do a timing belt and water pump service on a MkIV Golf so I don't for a second believe these were actually done.

He was looking for €800 to begin with. We bargained him down to €650.

We expected the car to last a few months at least. As i said, we just wanted a cheap run around car.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

the fact that you bargained him down over 20% on his original price didn't seem strange to you?
    all the lights come on when you first start up a car, then go off.

Sounds like you didn't check the car very well before buying. no come backs on private sales, you buy it as you see it.

At least it was only a relatively small sum, imagine if you'd paid 10 grand.

I bought a car before for €500 and it lasted almost 2 years.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Sorry to hear about it OP :( bad luck

ladyking85 wrote: »
    I bought a car before for €500 and it lasted almost 2 years.

I got a car for free and it didnt have wheels. or a car.

Whats your point?

Every seller is different, some more trustworthy than others. That's why you inspect the car before you buy it. Ensure everything is in working order.

RossieMan wrote: »
    I got a car for free and it didnt have wheels. or a car.

Whats your point?

Every seller is different, some more trustworthy than others. That's why you inspect the car before you buy it. Ensure everything is in working order.

My point is, i bought a car before and it was perfect. Did the job. We did inspect the car before we bought it, it seemed fine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Dowl88

Could have gotten a decent car with a years NCT for 650. Even at 650 it was a crazy price to get a 14 year old car through the NCT

My point is, i bought a car before and it was perfect. Did the job. We did inspect the car before we bought it, it seemed fine.

Different seller, different driver(s),different car.

See my point?

no 2 sellers are the same. the lack of lights should have been very easy to spot.
    you'd usually check for a check engine light and such to see if there are any problems.

You'll get a couple of hundred for it scrap, might be some good and get some of the losses back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Dowl88

See my point?

no 2 sellers are the same. the lack of lights should have been very easy to spot.
    you'd usually check for a check engine light and such to see if here are any problems.

You'll get a couple of hundred for it scrap, might be some good and get some of the losses back.

I dont think you see his point which is plain to see. Plenty of good cars out their with NCT for 650 or less.

Dowl88 - how is your post answering my question? I wanted to know IF i had a comeback not what i COULD get for €650.

Dowl88 wrote: »
    Could have gotten a decent car with a years NCT for 650. Even at 650 it was a crazy price to get a 14 year old car through the NCT

See my point?

you'd usually check for a check engine light and such to see if there are any problems.

I do see your point and thank you. We did inspect it. It seemed perfect. The engine looked spotless. It drove beautifully. Its a harsh lesson, trust nobody.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭TheFullDuck

you have been answered OP

caveat emptor - buyer beware, sold as seen etc etc

you bought a turkey, tough luck.

chalk it up to experience and move on

DH just text.. We've just been offered €300 for breaking. Not so bad. Only €850 out of pocket now.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I don't think you are getting what I mean.

He is. When you turn the key on a car a good few lights come on, usually oil, engine light airbag and a couple more, On startup or a couple of seconds later all the lights go out. This shows that all is OK. If the bulbs were removed then they obviously won't light up and straight away you know something is up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

If the bulbs were removed there's the possible avenue of fraud and the car not being safe but relaistically even if you went through the Small Claims Procedure and won (which is far from certain), you've almost no chance on recovery.

Sorry OP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Bepolite wrote: »
    If the bulbs were removed there's the possible avenue of fraud and the car not being safe but relaistically even if you went through the Small Claims Procedure and won (which is far from certain), you've almost no chance on recovery.

Sorry OP.
    You can't take a person to the small claims court. It's for using against a business.

Advertisement