Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Turning a Perx reward card into cash?

• 14-12-2019 5:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭

I have a Perx card with a balance of €250 that I would like to try turn into cash. I am wondering the best way to go about this. I thought that perhaps since it is a Mastercard I could topup my paypal account and then withdraw from it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭runswithascript

I have discovered you can only 'topup' your Paypal balance by SEPA transfer. I have been able to add the card to my account, and as Paypal will not let me send money to myself, I could send it to a family member and ask them to send back to me so I can withdraw, but I am sure when I was sent money in the past there was some charge...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Mod: better suited to the banking forum? Please be aware of the charter in the new forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,387 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

I have discovered you can only 'topup' your Paypal balance by SEPA transfer. I have been able to add the card to my account, and as Paypal will not let me send money to myself, I could send it to a family member and ask them to send back to me so I can withdraw, but I am sure when I was sent money in the past there was some charge...

You can setup a second PayPal account, add the card to that account and then send money to your original PayPal account and withdraw the money to your bank account. There is no fee transferring money between the PayPal accounts when paying a friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭ebayissues

I topped up betfair account using perx card and withdrew to bank account

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Johnny Sausage

ebayissues wrote: »
    I topped up betfair account using perx card and withdrew to bank account

Surprised they didnt flag your account for money laundering

they are supposeed to be strict on that kinda thing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭TM

Old thread but just wanted to say thanks to others above for the tip on converting Perx to cash by sending a gift to somebody else and having them send it back. Was able to convert €500 on a Perx card received as a work bonus to cash in my bank this way with no charges being deducted.

My other plan to buy Prize Bonds did not work because technically Perx is a prepaid CREDIT not DEBIT card so cannot be used to purchase PBs.

Anyway - thanks for the tip! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Galadriel

Thanks for this, I get these cards from time to time and I find them painful to use in supermarkets, they never know how to scan them.

Second paypal account, problem solved!

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Jafin

Galadriel wrote: »
    Thanks for this, I get these cards from time to time and I find them painful to use in supermarkets, they never know how to scan them.

Second paypal account, problem solved!

They can just swipe them, the same as had to be done before chip and pin was ever a thing, and then you sign the piece of paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭yurtyaherne

Could you use them to top up a Revolut or N26 account and then withdraw from ATM or transfer to bank A/C?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Galadriel

Jafin wrote: »
    They can just swipe them, the same as had to be done before chip and pin was ever a thing, and then you sign the piece of paper.

Yep, I have tried telling them that. I used one in Dunnes last week and tried it again today, nope, they couldn't manage it :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Could you use them to top up a Revolut or N26 account and then withdraw from ATM or transfer to bank A/C?

Not Revolut anyway, I tried.

I just did the PayPal trick. Added it as my primary card, sent money to my brother via PayPal using that card, and he sent it straight back to me. I then withdrew it to my bank account.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Is there a way to do something similar with an all4one online code?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 dustempire

Not Revolut anyway, I tried.

I just did the PayPal trick. Added it as my primary card, sent money to my brother via PayPal using that card, and he sent it straight back to me. I then withdrew it to my bank account.

Sent 250€ to my girlfriend following this method and got charged almost 9€ by PayPal. Refunding the payment wouldn’t have made a difference according to their T&Cs. Just letting people know to avoid this hassle

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Moochy Pugh

dustempire wrote: »
    Sent 250€ to my girlfriend following this method and got charged almost 9€ by PayPal. Refunding the payment wouldn’t have made a difference according to their T&Cs. Just letting people know to avoid this hassle

Have PayPal cottoned onto it - Did you use the friends and family option?

Tried the PayPal way again (send the money from Perx card to a friend who was going to send it back so I could then transfer it to my current account) but PayPal limited my account as a result. They claimed that the attempted transfer of €500 was in breach of EU regulations. WTF?!?!

So (having been with them since 2001) they required that I prove my identity. But before I could do this they said that I had to change the name on my account from my informal name to my official name. More than two letters difference so couldn't be done directly/simply.

To do this I had to submit my drivers licence and bank statement. Took them ages and they would not respond to queries/complaints but today they effected that change.

So now, having changed the name on my account to my official name, I still have to prove my identity. How? Yes, you guessed it ... by submitting my driver's licence and bank statement...

FFS. Ridiculous. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Kennage

Hey I got a perx card for Christmas from work & tried to add it to my PayPal but no matter what billing address I add it will not accept it, says it's invalid and I can't add the card, anyone eose have this issue?

Kennage wrote: »
    Hey I got a perx card for Christmas from work & tried to add it to my PayPal but no matter what billing address I add it will not accept it, says it's invalid and I can't add the card, anyone eose have this issue?
    As I mentioned above I recently added a Perx card to my PayPal account without any problem (well - different problems due to PayPal as you can see!). And I am now able to make PayPal payments that back onto that Perx card. Are you absolutely sure that you are adding the card details correctly (not meaning to sound patronising!)?

TM wrote: »
    As I mentioned above I recently added a Perx card to my PayPal account without any problem (well - different problems due to PayPal as you can see!). And I am now able to make PayPal payments that back onto that Perx card. Are you absolutely sure that you are adding the card details correctly (not meaning to sound patronising!)?

Yeah I scanned it with the camera & double checked it went in ok, entered everything else right but it wouldn't take the billing address. Odd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Wuff Wuff

Kennage wrote: »
    Yeah I scanned it with the camera & double checked it went in ok, entered everything else right but it wouldn't take the billing address. Odd

have you registede the perx card online yet?

Wuff Wuff wrote: »
    have you registede the perx card online yet?

Yeah I had registered it but I managed to sort it, I added the address on the card in Bray as the billing and it worked, managed to send to my girlfriend, she sent it back (not refund) then I withdrew it to my bank without any fees at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭fixxation

I trick I do each year is to put a big payment on my Bord Gais/Energia account using the Perx card, and then reduce my payments to them over the the months that follow. Same difference really, the cash makes it's way back you, it's just a little bit slower.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

Just did the paypal thingy for 500 worth of value and worked like a charm...money in the bank account now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭BArra

thanks, worked also for me

• Registered Users Posts: 3 mindezz

Can refund be returned to perx card as I paid online and now need refund because of faulty goods

I would expect so and hope so too because I'm due a refund myself!
    On the other hand Perx's claims that their cards are just like any other MasterCard are not completely true as I discovered when certain payments (to charities) were refused.
    They explained it as Perx not allowing payments to gambling companies!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 mindezz

I tried ringing customer service and message on FB still no answer. They're not even answering phone calls

TM wrote: »
    I would expect so and hope so too because I'm due a refund myself!
    On the other hand Perx's claims that their cards are just like any other MasterCard are not completely true as I discovered when certain payments (to charities) were refused.
    They explained it as Perx not allowing payments to gambling companies!
    Oh - my payment was from Perx but via Paypal so the refund went to my paypal account and not back to the card.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,504 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

Sorry for dragging up an old thread - but just transferred money to a relatives paypal using a Perx card but it would only charge me in GBP, so for 120 euro on the receivers end, it charged me 130 euro on my end for currency exchange.... Weird that it wasnt just showing in euro? Card is showing in GBP on my PayPal account.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

Damo 2k9 wrote: »
    Sorry for dragging up an old thread - but just transferred money to a relatives paypal using a Perx card but it would only charge me in GBP, so for 120 euro on the receivers end, it charged me 130 euro on my end for currency exchange.... Weird that it wasnt just showing in euro? Card is showing in GBP on my PayPal account.

U shud have transferred it in Eur...possibly one of the paypal account is With location UK and by default it had GBP as currency and u transferred 120 GBP.

• Advertisement

U shud have transferred it in Eur...possibly one of the paypal account is With location UK and by default it had GBP as currency and u transferred 120 GBP.

Yeah. Sounds like what happened to me.
    I just checked my PayPal account and my Perx card registration there doesn't mention currency/denomination there at all. And on the Perx account itself it is listed as EUR. So you must've chosen GBP£ when setting up the PayPal transaction.

Advertisement