Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Brazilian Jiu Jitsu - General Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

BOHtox wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity how long did it take for each of your belt progressions?

It took me about 15 months of training, but it was broken up by a few months here and there so was actually a little over 30 months, if that makes sense?

I work over seas for a few months at a time every year in developing countries and when I'm over seas training generally isn't an option. Usually takes a few weeks to get back into the swing of things.

Luckily I don't think I'll be going over seas much in the next 2 years because I got a promotion and I'm tentatively aiming for purple within 3 years if I can keep training consistently.

I train for about 3 hours 3 or 4 days per week. One of those being open mat time.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

I've been training a little over 2 years but I've had a lot of time off between work commitments and a bad injury at the start of last year, probably a year off in total in that time. I'm only on two stripes but I can roll with other guys in my club on 3/4 pretty comfortably, some not so comfortably.
    I'm aiming to get my blue this year, I'm in a place where I can be consistent, this really is key.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,998 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Subcomandante Marcos, emmetkenny, sounds like we're all targeting a purple belt around the same time.

Darced, we'll be doing well to catch you however ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,472 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

After 2 months, I'm on my way to skipping blue and going straight to purple as I'm tapping everyone out. In reality, during my last roll, I tried to get a guy in a choke and ended up punching myself in the nose....good times :)

Great to hear from other people about their journey, motivating stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    After 2 months, I'm on my way to skipping blue and going straight to purple as I'm tapping everyone out. In reality, during my last roll, I tried to get a guy in a coke and ended up punching myself in the nose....good times :)

Great to hear from other people about their journey, motivating stuff.

Hahaha that's hilarious. I'm forever accidental kicking/punching myself or who I'm rolling with. I'm always apologising.

It's funny where I'm at. When someone's in my guard I feel my guard or spiderguard can be strong enough to try find a sub or keep them there at worst. Maybe sneak a triangle choke or a sweep - but of course I'm losing more than I'm winning. But in a dominate position in side control I'm always getting swept. Maybe that's just because we've done more defence than attack so far.

Yeah that's why I asked the question. I saw similar ones on Reddit or whatever buy hearing stories of real people overcoming adversities or starting late in their life and making slow but steady progress to a blue belt is very much inspiring.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,772 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

But in a dominate position in side control I'm always getting swept.

By any chance are you putting your hand under your opponent neck and holding your other hand to try squeeze them and hold them towards you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭RonanP77

I'm glad to see this thread was set up, I searched for it on the phone a few times lately but only spotted it today.
    Zero-Cool wrote:
    After 2 months, I'm on my way to skipping blue and going straight to purple as I'm tapping everyone out. In reality, during my last roll, I tried to get a guy in a coke and ended up punching myself in the nose....good times

This sounds more like me, I'm at it about 2 months now, 2 classes a week, and I struggle to sink things in when we're rolling. If I manage a good sweep or two I'm delighted with myself. I get into good positions at times then haven't a notion what to do from that position.

I have managed to tap a few people but some of that was because they saw what I was going for and let me at it. Others were just as inexperienced as me so it wasn't a big achievement. I'm definitely still at the stage where I tap out a lot.

Regarding belt progression, from next month I'd hope to be doing a double class (2.5hrs) Tuesdays, then a normal class (1.5hrs) every Wednesday and Saturday. I'd love to get a stripe every 6 months or so based on putting in that many hours and I do pick things up quick enough, I'm no slower than the average student. Realistically though I'd be happy if I got my 1st stripe by the end of the year. I know BJJ is a long slow journey.

RonanP77 wrote: »
    I'm glad to see this thread was set up, I searched for it on the phone a few times lately but only spotted it today.

This sounds more like me, I'm at it about 2 months now, 2 classes a week, and I struggle to sink things in when we're rolling. If I manage a good sweep or two I'm delighted with myself. I get into good positions at times then haven't a notion what to do from that position.

I have managed to tap a few people but some of that was because they saw what I was going for and let me at it. Others were just as inexperienced as me so it wasn't a big achievement. I'm definitely still at the stage where I tap out a lot.

Regarding belt progression, from next month I'd hope to be doing a double class (2.5hrs) Tuesdays, then a normal class (1.5hrs) every Wednesday and Saturday. I'd love to get a stripe every 6 months or so based on putting in that many hours and I do pick things up quick enough, I'm no slower than the average student. Realistically though I'd be happy if I got my 1st stripe by the end of the year. I know BJJ is a long slow journey.

Just to yourself and another poster who are just beginning, you might feel like your learning nothing but you in fact are.

My advice would be at this early stage to work on your defense. You will find yourself in Closed Guard(learn how to escape for when your caught, and how to break a persons base/posture if you have someone in your CG).

When in your opponent Side Control focus on preventing them going for full mount. Also practice Hip Bump and Shrimp escapes. If you get SC work on your movement from one control position to another, ie SC, FM, SC, RK, NS, as well as maintaining a strong base for yourself.

When you've been mounted again try working on basic hip bump escapes, they are not flashy bit are great at throwing off the opponents weight and balance.

If you get caught in a sub just tap. Don't be the hero that trys to hang on for dear life. When you try your own sub don't Hulk out and use your strength, work your technique it'll stand to you in the long.

Also just enjoy the roll. A day will come when everything will click and it'll all feel natural to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

emmetkenny wrote: »
    By any chance are you putting your hand under your opponent neck and holding your other hand to try squeeze them and hold them towards you?

Maybe :D

I think I do actually though to be honest. But I'm not just holding on for dear life I'd be trying to gain a bettter position if you get me

• Advertisement

Maybe :D

I think I do actually though to be honest. But I'm not just holding on for dear life I'd be trying to gain a bettter position if you get me

You won't get a better position squeezing them to you. All your doing is moving your balance to far forward and then the opponent only needs to roll sideways and over you go.

If your in SC get one knee right beside their hip and one under the armpit. Keep your top hand under their neck palm flat to the floor(stops you been rolled) keep your lower arm under the opponent bum outside your leg(this will stop them getting their knee back across your stomach). Your chest on theirs and your bum low to the ground as possible.

This will allow you to keep good pressure with your chest, control your centre of gravity (low bum), control their hips(low hand).

When someone's in my guard I feel my guard or spiderguard can be strong enough to try find a sub or keep them there at worst. Maybe sneak a triangle choke or a sweep - but of course I'm losing more than I'm winning. But in a dominate position in side control I'm always getting swept. Maybe that's just because we've done more defence than attack so far.
    I think that's natural tbh. Guard is a very alien position, when new people are stuck there, then tend to not know what to do. Unless they've learned some specific escapes. Side control is a more "natural" position, young kids will instinctively find that position when playing around. The natural tendency for the guy on bottom to to try roll you over, and for the guy top is to hold on tight - which makes the job easier for the guy on bottom.

A good side control takes work. Emmet has given you a solid foundation above.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Out of curiosity what sort of injuries have ye had and how did ye get them? I did BJJ for around 4 months (2 classes a week) and I was forever dealing with a strained neck or back or something or other. I've been boxing competitively for the past few years but can see myself having a bash off grappling at some stage. It seems to me the injuries you get are much more serious in grappling than in striking.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

darced wrote: »
    Ill be honest and say most people who grapple in my experience are constantly carrying some type of injury. I had a torn Rotator cuff which was a nightmare, multiple broken ribs which are probably the worst because you have to sit out completely. My most serious were ruptured discs in my neck but I have nearly a full recovery at this stage.

Fingers are a constant problem breaks, dislocations or just plain sore.
    Right now I'm in pretty good health bar a lingering knee problem as well as the usual overall soreness.

It all depends on how you manage them but BJJ is highly addictive and its not easy to sit out for any length of time.
    This is the biggest catch 22 for me.
    When on injured I turn up for class anyway just to watch and take mental notes but by the end of the night I'm usually on the mets for a roll anyway.

Depending on how bad I'm hurt of course, I just can't watch everyone roll/spar and not want to jump in.
    :D

Stubbed toes, tendinitis in my right ankle, hyperextension of fingers the odd knee in the face, nothing major for me, but i tend to be picky about rolling partners and don't try to just muscle into or out of things.

FTA69 wrote: »
    Out of curiosity what sort of injuries have ye had and how did ye get them? I did BJJ for around 4 months (2 classes a week) and I was forever dealing with a strained neck or back or something or other. I've been boxing competitively for the past few years but can see myself having a bash off grappling at some stage. It seems to me the injuries you get are much more serious in grappling than in striking.

Dislocated Fingers,
    Dislocated Toes
    Torn Rotator Cuff
    Tissue Damage/Severe Bruising on my Back(got slammed from standing height by a bigger guy when putting on a triangle)
    Hyperextension of both Elbows
    Burst Eyebrow (straw knee)

Mat Burn on my Feet(worst injury ever, hate the things)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

"Gentle art" my hole!

FTA69 wrote: »
    "Gentle art" my hole!

Accept the warm embrace of a well sunk arm triangle while I whisper "this is what it feels like to die" in your ear, my child.

muhawhawhaw

I've had a shoulder injury twice, probable slight torn rotator cuff. And a minor MCL tear. I also tor a ligament on a pinky knuckle, and its never got back the full spread range. But that's about it been lucky.
    Badly bruised ribs, bruised bone in a shin, and a nerve spasm in my shin from kick boxing also

Other stuff like strained neck, inflamed elbows etc I won't even count as injurys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,858 ✭✭✭cletus

Fingers, and toes...and fingers and toes...and rinse and repeat. Big injuries to the ribs, shoulder, knee and bith ankles. I have issues with my hip and lower back due to one leg being longer than the other, and being stacked while trying to get an armbar from the guard definitely doesn't help. I also have problems with my right arm (broke it pretty badly, enough to require surgery and a plate), so that I'm much more likely to tap to a sub on my right than on my left

None of the above injuries have had anything to do with my 7 year hiatus from training, though, and they aren't impacting my attempt to get back either (this ****in 'flu is though)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,715 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

cletus wrote: »
    Fingers, and toes...and fingers and toes...and rinse and repeat. Big injuries to the ribs, shoulder, knee and bith ankles. I have issues with my hip due to one leg being longer than the other, and being stacked while trying to get an armbar from the guard definitely doesn't help.

None of the above injuries have had anything to do with my 7 year hiatus from training, though, and they aren't impacting my attempt to get back either (this ****in 'flu is though)

You weren't training for 7 years? How long are you back at it?

When is that palhares match on?

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    You weren't training for 7 years? How long are you back at it?

About 3 weeks. Meetings plus flu last week and this mean no training. Hopefully next week though

2nd of April

April 2nd, they released the full card recently.

Joao Miyao x Yukinori Sasa (GI)
    Geo Martinez x Dan Covel (NO GI)
    Darragh O Conaill x Jon Satava (GI)

Gezary Matuda x Laurence Fouillat (GI)
    (Interval)
    Bruno Frazatto x Gianni Grippo (GI)
    Augusto Tanquinho x Eddie Cummings (NO GI)
    AJ Agazarm x Jake Shields (NO GI)
    Rousimar Palhares x Garry Tonon (NO GI)

12841334_557686621074604_7984842744030322976_o.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 29,472 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Will that be a ppv top watch online or any UK channel showing it? Nice to have something on local time as well.

Mellor wrote: »

(Interval)

Nice to see Darragh get in again.

Mellor wrote: »

(Interval)

Jesus darragh o Connell is in there with big names. Great to see

• Advertisement

cletus wrote: »
    About 3 weeks. Meetings plus flu last week and this mean no training. Hopefully next week though

So you've had No mma/bjj for 7 year and your back at it now? Sorry for prying, in a similar situation myself although not as long an absence from the sport. Really want to get back into it

Advertisement