Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OEM MK1 GT turbo Starlet

• 07-12-2014 4:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭

Wel I thought id join this site after the influence of Cian Ryan on this
    I currently drive a mk1 gt turbo starlet and goin back oem with it now and engine bay is in need of a serious clean but body work is pretty ok only minor marks which are to be expected on a 23 year old car but I will get around to it
    Iv been collecting optional extras along the way Iv about 23 now I'll get pictures up at a later date

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

The more pictures the better, get them up. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Darraghmh91.

Said I'm only a new member I can't upload pictures just yet

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

Well you better get making random posts then, ya can't go teasing us when you can't show pics.

How many posted do I need to get pics up

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

50 I think. Just make 50 in here and start a new thread.

• Advertisement

50 posts ****in hell that is mental ha why so many posts?

50 posts ****in hell that is mental ha why so many posts?

Not sure man it's a new thing. Awful weather today. drove down to limerick to pick up a MIG welder. Going to try an fix the exhaust on the asti.

Yeah it was a cold day I clayed the car yesterdsy and my hands were blue after it
    What make welder dos you get man I'd love to get a good welder and a workshop to go along with it

Yeah it was a cold day I clayed the car yesterdsy and my hands were blue after it
    What make welder dos you get man I'd love to get a good welder and a workshop to go along with it

Lucky enough I live in the sticks and my mates renting a house with a big garage out the back. Got this one. http://www.adverts.ie/power-tools/clarke-welder-151-te-turbo/6937057?notification=f6282b810975f8456e89fe7b81e5a7d4-1417961958#comment_40843249

Came with 2 masks and a big bottle full of C02 and nitrogen. I think it's for beer:confused:. Has a guiness label on it. Need to get a regulator for it to hook it up. Think it should be OK, think I heard my mate say his da uses 95% Co2 5% N for something :pac:. Haven't looked into it yet. 70 quid all in wasn't bad even with 40 for diesel on top.

Co2, but plenty of dust masks, that **** is smokey as ****. :p

Dar, I'll go halfs on a welder once I get a job, then we just need the work shop. :p

• Advertisement

Id love it man a nice big garage in it with a **** load of Jdm rare cars ha little toy cars there the best 1.5 and down ha

Yeah let me get a job and **** then I'll look into a garage .. How handy would it be in blessington ha (**** load of monster can't) mint mx5 nd mk1 gt and gi starlet ha it's s dream

CianRyan wrote: »
    Co2, but plenty of dust masks, that **** is smokey as ****. :p

Dar, I'll go halfs on a welder once I get a job, then we just need the work shop. :p

They a bit smokey... I've a inline duct fan thing. Might hook it up to a bit of wavin tumble dryer ducting pro welding extraction fan set up. Or just buy some dust masks and open the door!

Get s garden hose and put one half in your mouth and the other out the door nd you will be fine ha .. If you drop dead you will be too out of it to notice haha

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭chriity139

Have a mk1 gt myself which has a good bit done to the engine, but like yourself I wouldnt mind a standard engine dropped back into her as replacing parts is a pain in my a**. A few months ago I had to spend 200 euro to replace a manifold gasket just because my manifold and inlets are bored out. These gaskets are like 7 euro from toyota if you havent had any work done on the engine. Felt like jumping off a cliff haha

chriity139 wrote: »
    Have a mk1 gt myself which has a good bit done to the engine, but like yourself I wouldnt mind a standard engine dropped back into her as replacing parts is a pain in my a**. A few months ago I had to spend 200 euro to replace a manifold gasket just because my manifold and inlets are bored out. These gaskets are like 7 euro from toyota if you havent had any work done on the engine. Felt like jumping off a cliff haha

Nice one man can you get pictures of it up man .. Iv got the std wheels for it now bought a rebuilt ct9 turbo for it yesterday and Iv the std exhaust here in mint condition with the 2 chrome tips on the back box and about 26 optional extras for it now man and about 8 starlet brochures from Japan including a hyper revs book aswell
    Just have to get 50 posts up here first to get pics up

Here we go now iv 50 posts now so can get pictures up of the car and fill you guys in about it
    The car was imported to ireland in 2010 by a fella called anthony king i believe and lives in galways but then sold it to another fella in donegal called conor peoples who i bought the car off .. the car has been on the track quite a few times from what iv heard and running over 200hp at 1.1 bar ao anyways i bought the car in Donegal on the 19th of august 2013
    The car was clean but not spotless and with the milage at 100k i bought it and drove it home
    had a nice few mods to it like speedvision hybrid turbo, KAAZ diff, Autoban front mount intercooler, blitz decat, 5zegin pro racer exhaust hks fpr apaxi neo hks actuator etc
    iv currently stripped most of it now and installed an OEM optional extra c52 Lsd gearbox fully rebuilt (Much nicer to drive)
    blitz decat is gone and oem cat is in the car
    FMIC is gone with TMIC put onto it now
    Hybrid turbo is gone with std ct9 turbo now
    5zegin exhaust is still on the car but i have the original exhaust there waiting to go on with the turbo i bought and polished rocker cover and vacuum pipes

heres the car when i got her home which i did like but wanted to go oem since im a kid when my brother use to own a starlet back in the late 90s

image-1380802919389-V_zps5bf95316.jpg

IMG_1064_zps6257e481.jpg

here it is as it is now

image_zps56fc97fa.jpg

image_zps598adc8a.jpg

image_zps83a877ef.jpg

image_zps74e7bc9b.jpg

IMG_1169_zps3b3c7a24.jpg

the brochure collection i have so far i still have plenty more of these to get but there so handy to look through and see what way it was done from original amd see what optional extras they had to offer
    A lot of the brochures are the same but if you get 1 you might aswell get them all

IMG_0081_zpsa9a8e3f6.jpg

firstly we have here is my vanity tray which has 2 cup holders in it and a little pop up mirror on it which i pretty cool .. it also has a little pen holder on it and slots for change as there is tolls everywhere in japan .. this basiclly just mounts to the car with double sided sticky tape on it

IMG_1112_zpsd525a62f.jpg

IMG_1113_zps5aa86d51.jpg

optional extra boot matt .. i really really love this little extra its a toyota rubber boot matt and its so handy for the likes of dirt or oil and it just wipes straight off the car or if your doing work on the car you can simple take it out and lay down on it then pop it bavck in when your finished

IMG_1114_zps6508c337.jpg

optional extra cassette radio for 6 or 12 cd changer .. im not actully gonna put this in the car as it is to suit the cd changed and not actully used as a radio so this would mean id have to use up the 2 dins in the front and i have other plans for them slots so this will be just put away safe

IMG_1195_zpsfc27b7a9.jpg

optional extra passanger under seat compartment .. just mounts under the passanger seat with little screws (not wood screws) and can be used to put a pair of runners or even have some of your car cleaning products in it

IMG_1072_zpsdf0f42b7.jpg

optional extra footwell lights which mount under the feet of each seat in the front and once the car is turned on or doors opened they light up green and them go off after 7 seconds when the door is closed but stil have to wire them up

IMG_1043_zps06b4b5d1.jpg

all of the followin pictures are all Toyota Optional Extras
    Recaro fishnets front and rear and i also have the rear panels and door cards but none of them will be goin near the car till i get them all reconditioned with genuine recaro material and bolsters so that will be a pricy enough job for material alone

IMG_1158_zpsd786f1b7.jpg

IMG_1196_zps8b257708.jpg

map torch .. this is a mad little extra its just wired to the car and for reading a map in the dark as back then there was no sat navs devices so came in pretty handy in japan in the esrly 90s .. when you pull the torch away from its bracket it lights up but will only light up when the car is at a complete stop so you couldnt look at the map while you were driving down the road as a safety feature .. Took me years to get one of these

DSCN0601_zpsc579fca8.jpg

DSCN0602_zpsd8c6b1b9.jpg

DSCN0596_zpsd8b077a4.jpg

arm rest . this was an optional extra arm rest which opens up at the top and has again more slots for change in it and retracts back and forward to suit the drivers arm

DSCN0604_zpse08294ad.jpg

Reg plate surrounds .. these are pretty hard got and even harder got in mint condition .. there just a surround for the reg plate but in order to fit them i need to get special sized plates to fit them as there designed to fit japanese sized plates and not irish plates but shound have them next week on the car

IMG_0070_zps8ceb06a2.jpg

junior seat which i believe to be 1 or 2 in ireland and just sits on the back seat .. my bird can understand ehy i bought it as i dont have a kid and dont plan on it any time soon but again if you gettin the extras you need to get every last one of them

IMG_0069_zps65010b04.jpg

IMG_0067_zpsc4f5e029.jpg

junior seat fitted to car

image_zps441dd4a6.jpg

mk1 rescueman still brand new in the box .. this mounts to the driver side of the car down beside the hand brake and is just a glass braker and a scissors so if you were to get into a car crash you can cut your seat belt or shirt off you depanding on what you need it for and then the hammer is just there to brake the glass so you can fre yourself from the car .. iv never seen another mk1 rescueman before till i got my one iv seen the mk2 and 3 but not the mk1 so another super rare item added to the list ofd growing extras

IMG_0025_zpsb2c9534b.jpg

image_zps1abd49cf.jpg

image_zps7690a08b.jpg

mk1 clean box another super rare extra which has a bracket screwed to the passanger footwell and the bin actullt slides off and you can tip the rubbish out without puttin your hand into the bin .. i believe that in japan when you go to fill the car up with petrol then clean this out for you ha i love this little extra again it took about 3 years to get one

DSCN0607_zps3b07ab0c.jpg

Air purifier .. this is the air purifier which mounts to the parcel shelf so meant cutting a hole in the parcel shelf and slotting this into the car then feeding the wires up to the front of the car and fitting the switch into one of the blanks beside the spotlight and its just a fan assisted purifier which is very quiet .. i couldnt believbe me eyes when i saw how clean this was i has to have it

image_zps9368f15f.jpg

image_zpsd9466ae0.jpg

image_zpseeba8c58.jpg

image_zpsf17559db.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Simonigs1.0

I'm really enjoying this.

Seeing all of the quirky JDM extras is fascinating!

I'm really enjoying this.

Seeing all of the quirky JDM extras is fascinating!

Yeah there mad little things ha I'll give each item a proper write up and explain what there for etc
    Still loads to add to my list of extras and iv anoher extra on the was aswell
    it takes a long time to source them and when they pop upm everyone wants them and they go for mega money but i wont be selling the car it will be put into a garage so i dont mind spendin the extra money on them as they are pretty cool to look at and others admire them when they see them as they didnt know anything like this was offered for a starlet

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

I don't think I've ever seen a toyota with as many extras! I love it!

and another brochure added to the list frsh in from japan this week

image_zpsb82bed2d.jpg

image_zps42dcb544.jpg

image_zpsf65c0e63.jpg

image_zps43b177d8.jpg

and a few pictures of what the brochures have in each of them

DSCN0614_zps84f882ab.jpg

DSCN0615_zps9c5b88aa.jpg

DSCN0616_zpsf9380846.jpg

IMG_1205_zps349fc8f5.jpg

DSCN0617_zpsffcf807c.jpg

DSCN0619_zps8f21f5f5.jpg

DSCN0620_zps860735dd.jpg

heres the only write up i can find about a starlet back in 1990

IMG_0082_zps0d2e2169.jpg

all comments welcome good or bad .. i do let a lot of negative people at me about the car as its goin back oem and no performance goodies but screw them i love the car and its what i wanted for years so win win for me

You'll find a lot of people here will favour the OEM build.

Love the car but sure you know that. ;)

CianRyan wrote: »
    You'll find a lot of people here will favour the OEM build.

Love the car but sure you know that. ;)

Yeah seems that was alright with a lot of projects .. Hello from the other side of the kitchen

• Registered Users Posts: 73,364 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

That generation Starlet were a great car. There are still a few 1.3 JDM non GT/GI models locally to me and they're in great nick. My elderly neighbour has an Irish one (from new AFAIK)

Yeah there's very few gt gi starlets around now and even harder to get a mk1 ep82 starlet and I'm proud to say I own both a mk1 gt and gi now

My da thought the go was s nice drive for tippin around and bought himself a 97 starlet ha he loved it

Heres mine up in sallies gap running in the engine when it got the work done. Paint work isn't as clean anymore as this was nearly 2 years ago. Would like to get her sprayed this year, will see how funds go.

6_zps0f7eaf9f.jpg

Heres pictures of when I bought it, bodywork and paint were in great condition but was left sitting in a yard for 4 months waiting to get the engine work done which left the paint in bad order and a bit of rust started forming on the boot.

GT.jpg

DSC08272.jpg
    DSC08271.jpg
    DSC08270.jpg

plans for this year if I keep it

replace turbo with better condition one
    respray

Nice one man it's s mk2 there pretty rare now aswell I see very few of them anymore .. I'm in Dublin myself I live in Tallaght so not to far from you I'd imagine if your in Sally's gap

There a good car man I'd keep it and what kind of turno you gonna go for a ct9 or hybrid or td04 or somethin man

I just bought myself a reconditioned turno this week can't wait to pop it in just need new gaskets all round now

Just want to go for a reconditioned ct9 man not chasing power. Wouldn't mind going td04 but I wouldn't do it unless I forged the engine. Don't really want to pump money into it.

• Advertisement

Yeah it's Probly the better option man I believe there failing cars on mods that are on the car now
    Hs I'm the opposite man I'll be throwing the cash at mine which I have been doin

Advertisement