Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Should I??? Ping G410 Driver

• 22-06-2019 10:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Hello All, I have been using a stiff shaft ping G20 for a number of years and thinking of getting a ping G410, I would be very interested in your thoughts....

1) Is the 410 forgiving?? (I play off a solid 14 but every now and then I can be erratic).

2) I hit the ball high to approx 230/240 yards, would the 410 help me hit longer??

3) Planning to use the shot tracker in my local McGuirks (costs €30).......should I buy it there or bring my results to my club where I could buy one off the club pro??because I have a few quid in my club account that I could use.

I would really appreciate your feedback, thanks very much

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭tritriagain

I'm getting my new ping 410 today or tomorrow. I got fitted at a ping day in club and I don't really know if I will gain much distance but was far mor accurate. I got the sftec version. Let u kmow how I get on
    I

• Registered Users Posts: 32 super saints

I'm getting my new ping 410 today or tomorrow. I got fitted at a ping day in club and I don't really know if I will gain much distance but was far mor accurate. I got the sftec version. Let u kmow how I get on
    I

Please do Tritriagain, I’d be very interested to hear how you get on ðŸ‘ðŸ»

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭newport2

Hello All, I have been using a stiff shaft ping G20 for a number of years and thinking of getting a ping G410, I would be very interested in your thoughts....

1) Is the 410 forgiving?? (I play off a solid 14 but every now and then I can be erratic).

2) I hit the ball high to approx 230/240 yards, would the 410 help me hit longer??

3) Planning to use the shot tracker in my local McGuirks (costs €30).......should I buy it there or bring my results to my club where I could buy one off the club pro??because I have a few quid in my club account that I could use.

I would really appreciate your feedback, thanks very much

I got fitted for a Ping G410 about 2 months ago. I had a Titleist 915 D2 before that. Picked up about 8-10 yards I would say, the G410 spins less for me.
    If I had been just picking a driver off the shelf I would not have picked the G410, I much prefer the classic look. But I couldn't argue with the results of it.

In answer to your Qs:

1) It's ridiculously forgiving and a great club.

2) Maybe, maybe not. Depends on your current driver and how well suited the G410 is to you, etc.

3) Your choice, but if your club pro can match the price, why not support him?

The only advice I would give you is to go and get fitted for a driver, not specifically for a G410. Try an array of them, including the G410. There may be other drivers better suited to your swing that will perform better for you. Keep an open mind and use the results as a factor in your choice.

newport2 wrote: »
    I got fitted for a Ping G410 about 2 months ago. I had a Titleist 915 D2 before that. Picked up about 8-10 yards I would say, the G410 spins less for me.
    If I had been just picking a driver off the shelf I would not have picked the G410, I much prefer the classic look. But I couldn't argue with the results of it.

In answer to your Qs:

1) It's ridiculously forgiving and a great club.

2) Maybe, maybe not. Depends on your current driver and how well suited the G410 is to you, etc.

3) Your choice, but if your club pro can match the price, why not support him?

The only advice I would give you is to go and get fitted for a driver, not specifically for a G410. Try an array of them, including the G410. There may be other drivers better suited to your swing that will perform better for you. Keep an open mind and use the results as a factor in your choice.

Thanks very much for your sound advice Newport2, I really appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,257 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

This isn't helpful but the best decision I ever made was dumping my ping driver... Fair play to you if you can hit a ball with it. Club pro watched me hit ten balls with it and said I'd be best getting rid. He was right. Got fitted for some Taylor Made. Was chalk and cheese from the first ball.

• Advertisement

lawred2 wrote: »
    This isn't helpful but the best decision I ever made was dumping my ping driver... Fair play to you if you can hit a ball with it. Club pro watched me hit ten balls with it and said I'd be best getting rid. He was right. Got fitted for some Taylor Made. Was chalk an cheese from the first ball.

Although the 410 is is to the forefront of my mind Lawred2, I’ll definitely keep an open mind on what suits me best ðŸ‘ðŸ»

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

I've heard great things about the Cobra F9 Speedback. It's also at a cheaper price point than most of the other newest generation drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭morrga

I got the G410 back in March. First time getting a Ping driver and I don’t think I will ever hit any other brand of driver now after what I have seen so far. Easily gained 20 yards off the tee and forgiveness is great. The ability to adjust the face for draw, fade or neutral was a real bonus too as it wasn’t available in other Ping Models. Driving was my Achilles heel, not so any more.

You won’t regret getting it if my own experiences are anything to go by.

ligerdub wrote: »
    I've heard great things about the Cobra F9 Speedback. It's also at a cheaper price point than most of the other newest generation drivers.

Thanks Ligerdub

morrga wrote: »
    I got the G410 back in March. First time getting a Ping driver and I don’t think I will ever hit any other brand of driver now after what I have seen so far. Easily gained 20 yards off the tee and forgiveness is great. The ability to adjust the face for draw, fade or neutral was a real bonus too as it wasn’t available in other Ping Models. Driving was my Achilles heel, not so any more.

You won’t regret getting it if my own experiences are anything to go by.

That’s some recommendation Morrga, just a matter of interest how long were your drives before you got the 410??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭morrga

That’s some recommendation Morrga, just a matter of interest how long were your drives before you got the 410??

240 with a Nike Vapor Fly. Now easily 260.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭davegilly

Is the shaft not more important than any club head seeing as this is the main component (outside of our swing) which delivers the club to the ball?

Realistically, if all the various heads from different manufacturers were fitted to a robot with the same shaft I doubt you would see much if any real difference?

Also, for the average handicapper it's pretty much impossible to deliver the club to the ball the same way every time. So how can you fit anyone with this kind of inconsistency?

I'd love to think that fitting of a golf club makes sense and can improve someone's game but I've come to the conclusion that it's purely marketing drivel. Even the "YouTube pros" have started to have a giggle at the while fitting process from time to time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Head has more effect by a long shot. All the studies and tests show this.

When your loft,face angle and spin is coming from the head of the driver it has to have the most effect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭MarioLuigi

Honestly don't get the appeal of spending €400+ on a driver. I bought a Titleist 913D2 second hand off Adverts a few years ago for 100 quid and it seems to work fine for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭ShivasIrons

davegilly wrote: »
    Is the shaft not more important than any club head seeing as this is the main component (outside of our swing) which delivers the club to the ball?

Realistically, if all the various heads from different manufacturers were fitted to a robot with the same shaft I doubt you would see much if any real difference?

Also, for the average handicapper it's pretty much impossible to deliver the club to the ball the same way every time. So how can you fit anyone with this kind of inconsistency?

I'd love to think that fitting of a golf club makes sense and can improve someone's game but I've come to the conclusion that it's purely marketing drivel. Even the "YouTube pros" have started to have a giggle at the while fitting process from time to time.

Every now and again comments like this come up but the simple answer to this is, does every club have the exact same performance? The answer to this is no. Since every club doesn't perform the same way, how do you know what club to pick then?

As for swings not being consistent for the average player, that's also a big fallacy, speeds tend to be the same, loading and unloading of the club tend to be the same, paths tend to be similar etc, it's club face control, ground interaction and strike on the face that determine where the ball goes more than anything else.
    Should the OP get the Ping? The only answer is to hit it and find out.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭davegilly

how do you know what club to pick then?
    We don't. And never will because I might cream a Taylor Made driver down the middle, then top a Ping, then shank a Titleist, slicing a Cobra and finishing it off by hooking a Callaway.

We are too inconsistent to fit. In my opinion :)

We don't. And never will because I might cream a Taylor Made driver down the middle, then top a Ping, then shank a Titleist, slicing a Cobra and finishing it off by hooking a Callaway.

We are too inconsistent to fit.

Hit enough balls and patterns will start forming you will have some form of bell curve distribution. A good fitter is more than likely trying to identify these patterns and fit a club to make misses less extreme, and add to the good hits.

For me ideally for me I'd like to get fitted by someone I have lessons with, they should know slot of my inconsistencies or patterns and would hopefully help in the process. However not all good coaches are good fitters and vice versa

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭pakman

I've been playing with a friends driver now for past 5-6 weeks and I've dropped 3.4 shots.

Its stiff shaft and seem to be solving my slice a good bit even though I was told it could make it worse.

Getting a fitting tonight out in Celbridge and will bring it and old driver with me. Interesting to see what Pro says as I've been looking to update driver for some time and all the questions here come up in my mind every time.

The scores dropping are not all driver related btw either in case that's how it sounds. Slower swinging and course management are really the reason but the driver is giving me extra length and better shot shape to put me in positions to actually do it.

We are too inconsistent to fit. In my opinion :)

This proves my point, you don't how to pick a club so expert advice is needed.

Explain what the inconsistencies in the swing are and how they lead to a golfer being unfittable?

pakman wrote: »

Slower swinging and course management are really the reason but the driver is giving me extra length and better shot shape to put me in positions to actually do it.

All things being equal it is impossible to swing slower and hit the ball longer

• Advertisement

All things being equal it is impossible to swing slower and hit the ball longer

When I swung hard at it I would get a ballooning backspinny shot that went high and right. That usually ended up 200 yard up the fairway on the right or in the rough.

The new driver with stiff shaft seems to keep it much lower for me with even the occasional draw and I try no to kill the ball. The combination has 220-240 drives regularly.

Ask anyone who's played with me on boards outings, I hit it as high as long with old driver but the new one has helped a lot.

I get what your saying but maybe I mean swing more in control which for me is slower.

pakman wrote: »
    When I swung hard at it I would get a ballooning backspinny shot that went high and right. That usually ended up 200 yard up the fairway on the right or in the rough.

The new driver with stiff shaft seems to keep it much lower for me with even the occasional draw and I try no to kill the ball. The combination has 220-240 drives regularly.

Ask anyone who's played with me on boards outings, I hit it as high as long with old driver but the new one has helped a lot.

I get what your saying but maybe I mean swing more in control which for me is slower.

What you're saying is you've improved your contact, which has lead to the increase in distance, not slowing down your swing

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

What you're saying is you've improved your contact, which has lead to the increase in distance, not slowing down your swing

Is that not just getting pedantic?

Hes improved his contact by slowing down his swing.

Whatever way you look at it, its amounting to more distance with a slower swing.

Obviously all things being equal, more speed equals more distance, but in this case all things are not equal.

When he swings hard, his sequencing gets worse or his contact does. When he slows down he makes a more centred hit.

Obviously all things being equal, more speed equals more distance, but in this case all things are not equal.

When he swings hard, his sequencing gets worse or his contact does. When he slows down he makes a more centred hit.

yes, this!

Advertisement