Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Trucking general chat - was Forum/Sub-forum proposal

• 03-01-2018 2:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭

Would anyone here be interest in having a forum such as the above mentioned started up for truckers and all truck related topics for discussion etc?

Note: title changed to reflect thread repurposing.

Would you like to see a forum for Truckers/trucking topics? 175 votes

Yes i'm interested in a trucking forum
    2% 5 votes
    No i'm not interested in a trucking forum
    97% 170 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,031 ✭✭✭✭neris

Irishrigs.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

neris wrote: »
    Irishrigs.com

I know that exists on facebook,was looking for something of a similar nature here on boards but with added anonymity that you don't get there.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Rave.ef

Dono is there many of us here

Rave.ef wrote: »
    Dono is there many of us here

I’d love to know how many of us exactly that there is here though

I’d love to know how many of us exactly that there is here though

Would be interesting to know. Be good if it took off even for lads to show off theyre rigs or the strange and wonderful things we encounter on a daily basis

• Advertisement

Would be interesting to know. Be good if it took off even for lads to show off theyre rigs or the strange and wonderful things we encounter on a daily basis

There’s a few alright around here as I was PMing a few of them.

I think just myself and Truckermal are the most obvious on account of our usernames.

Be interesting to see would other trucks come in here and state that they actually are.

I’ll be throwing up a few threads here and there when I get the chance, my personal life is crazy busy at the moment.

There’s also a thread on the new Scania L series I started last week.

Can’t beat a Volvo though :D

There’s a few alright around here as I was PMing a few of them.

I think just myself and Truckermal are the most obvious on account of our usernames.

Be interesting to see would other trucks come in here and state that they actually are.

I’ll be throwing up a few threads here and there when I get the chance, my personal life is crazy busy at the moment.

There’s also a thread on the new Scania L series I started last week.

Can’t beat a Volvo though :D

I know I actually seen it just before I picked up on this one. Not gone on it but I don't have much love for the new gen s ether.

I'd agree 100% with you on the Volvo. That would upset all the scania boys tho

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭osheen

Another vote for Volvo here, hai.
    Do have a soft spot for MAN though

osheen wrote: »
    Another vote for Volvo here, hai.
    Do have a soft spot for MAN though

The MAN look nice on the outside, on the inside they are s not cheap though, also the auto box are a bloody nightmare.

The manual 4 over 4 version I find unusual in that I had to take off in second rather than 3rd in a Volvo or Scania.

The Mercedes Actros in manual are far better than the Axor.

As for DAF :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

I do like trucks but I wouldnt be a massive fan. My fav manufacturer is US based Freightliner and subsequently Mercedes :)

• Advertisement

Mc Love wrote: »
    I do like trucks but I wouldnt be a massive fan. My fav manufacturer is US based Freightliner and subsequently Mercedes :)

They are a nice truck, they won’t be viable here though due to their size.

The most a truck can be here in length legally 16.5m so if they were commissioned by companies then the payload would be tiny.

Now there are trucks longer than that here such as road trains etc but permits are required a lot of the time.

I’d love a go at one in my job though :D

The MAN look nice on the outside, on the inside they are s not cheap though, also the auto box are a bloody nightmare.

The manual 4 over 4 version I find unusual in that I had to take off in second rather than 3rd in a Volvo or Scania.

The Mercedes Actros in manual are far better than the Axor.

As for DAF :rolleyes:

MAN is what I drive and as far as the box gos at times I'd be chewing the steering wheel with frustration. Had a rare 4 over 4 one for awhile too and going through the high low range just as slow. But they have a handy little button saves the left leg a lot. Can't beat the i-shift tho.

As far as the Yankee machienes. 70s Cab over Pete

I'd agree 100% with you on the Volvo. That would upset all the scania boys tho

sure they get upset with a scania if it doesnt say V8

neris wrote: »
    sure they get upset with a scania if it doesnt say V8

Some of those V8’s wouldn’t pull the socks off ya.

The only thing I like about Scania is the fuel economy is good, seriously big tanks though, 1400 litres all in.

A DAF xf had more power than it on take off even when fully loaded.

i was looking at dafs on the continent last year and some of the yokes out there have 14 & 1500 litre tanks as well but the dafs are alot more popular abroad then here and better value 2nd hand aswell. Cant see the point of some of the V8s especially the bigger ones over here they do shortish runs on flat road and the dont need all the power. see 1 near me pulling from a chocolate factory to dublin port that probably spends more time in traffic crawling along

Thing with the DAF I've always found is that the likes of the 45 and 55 are hard to beat for multi drop around towns plus they take a fair bit of abuse. Remember when they updated them all the way back in 1999 or 2000 the base level was was like a spaceship compared to the mitsubishi s or Volvo fl's in the 7.5t - 18t, fancy trip computer and cruise lol.

V8 is handy on the hills and they sound nice but I don't like how narrow the scania is. Apart from the newer FH one of the nicest trucks iv driven would surprisingly be the Renault T series. Dumbed down Volvo I know but a lovely truck.

I actually don't mind the DAF xf's if i am to be truthful, plenty of power in them, the dash lighting up like a christmas tree and the auto boxes refusing to go into gear was my most major issue.

In a job i had 2 years ago i had a DAF LF rigid, all i can say is i have never driven anything as bad as it.

Some of the V8's are poor on power, the Scania Topline i have at the moment isn't great going up hills empty, let alone full and to cap it off the engines were turned down from 90 to 85km/h and the 5 km/h is very noticeable especially on the motorway when other trucks fly by.

I wouldn't mind a spin in one of the Renault T range, drove a Renault Premium 270 and loved it even if it wasn't very powerful.

The Magnum is the one for me though after Volvo and Mercedes, i'm in love with those trucks, i know it's basically a volvo under the skin.

First truck i ever drove was a 2001 Iveco with Ford Running gear, after that a 2003 version of the same truck with the Fiat running gear,i went for the 01 every time.

In relation to the DAF 45/55 yeah you are right on the abuse bit for multi drop but they are still a heap, economical around the city in fairness.

The magnum is a fair beast alright. Really like the first generation. Think they were the first with the flat floor. Was in a place in nenagh a few weeks ago they have a class 95 rigid and drag magnum. The longest thing Iv ever seen.

Trouble with the likes of the lf and all those 7.5t - 10t is there built to be short haul and lacking the air seat.

Comfert wise it's had to beat the MAN TGX, what she lacks in acceleration she makes up for in comfert. Renault T wouldn't be far behind.
    Those new DAFs are a lovely truck and the box has been improved in them too.

Yeah I detest them no power at all but its all about the running costs . Funny enough I always liked the Renault premium in a rigid as well probably due to being so similar to Volvo.
    Pity they discontinued the big Magnum cabs, just look like nothing else out there and anyone who spent proper time in them sings there praise

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Would this forum be more towards Artic drivers rather then C/C1 drivers ?

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    Would this forum be more towards Artic drivers rather then C/C1 drivers ?

Nope, both rigid and artic.

C/C1
    CE/C1E

I started out in rigids with a C licence but now i'm in an artic with a CE licence and i will never ever go back to a rigid as a daily driver unless it was one of the trucks i mentioned earlier.

It's slowly gaining ground here as well which is a good step, rome wasn't built in a day and all that.

I wouldn't think so

The magnum is a fair beast alright. Really like the first generation. Think they were the first with the flat floor. Was in a place in nenagh a few weeks ago they have a class 95 rigid and drag magnum. The longest thing Iv ever seen.

Trouble with the likes of the lf and all those 7.5t - 10t is there built to be short haul and lacking the air seat.

Comfert wise it's had to beat the MAN TGX, what she lacks in acceleration she makes up for in comfert. Renault T wouldn't be far behind.
    Those new DAFs are a lovely truck and the box has been improved in them too.

Do you remember the Magnum that Jeremy Clarkson bought on Top Gear for a challenge years ago? the thing cost him £5000, if i had a place to store one i'd nearly buy one of them.

Here in Cork there was a magnum down the marina for ages and she was weathering badly, a 1997 reg, it's gone now, hopefully not scrapped.

Rigid and drag magnum is rare, did you get a photo?

I agree on the comfort of the MAN, cab is fine and spacious also, as you said, it makes up for the lack of power, i'll never forget my first day in one doing muti drop, took about 2-3 hours to actually remember to take off in 2nd and not 3rd :pac:

Those DAF's were a pain in the ar$e if you didn't know how to knock off the sensors that alert you to stay in lane.

Not a great one but only one I took.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,380 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

If you're wondering where the trucks end up and what they get up to!

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x10vy3h

Not a great one but only one I took.

Some length is right :eek:

Used for equestrian purposes by the looks of it.

Seen this one on donedeal, a bit tired, but would be a nice restoration project.

https://www.donedeal.ie/trucks-for-sale/renault-magnum/17361732

Some length is right :eek:

Used for equestrian purposes by the looks of it.

Seen this one on donedeal, a bit tired, but would be a nice restoration project.

https://www.donedeal.ie/trucks-for-sale/renault-magnum/17361732

Living quaters and 4 horses. They are becoming rare enough. O learys have one of the last of them and a lad in mitchelstown has 2 he used to show I think. V8s as well as far as I remember

colm_mcm wrote: »
    If you're wondering where the trucks end up and what they get up to!

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x10vy3h

There was a cork hino spotted there recently. Stickers still on and all

• Advertisement

There was a cork hino spotted there recently. Stickers still on and all

This one?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/be216cd1/16603202247/

Advertisement