Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sluts/slappers/whores/homewreckers

• 04-09-2008 3:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Has anyone else been really pissed off by the unfair coverage of Sienna Miller in the media recently?

For all of you who dont know, Sienna Miller,a free and single actress, recently got together with a married man who has a family. So you'd think in this wonderful post-feminist era where women are 'supposedly' crashing through glass ceilings and can shag around like men, that the one who cheated on his wife and family would be branded horrible names.
    But no, Sienna has been branded a homewrecker,slut,whore and every other awful name under the sun,while the man who dumped his wife and kids becomes the stud who gets of scott free.

And this unfair brandishing is not just confined to the media but also the consensus on our own boards:
    Cathal01 wrote: »
    Sienna genuinely is a bit of a slut....
    gcgirl wrote: »
    HomeRecker
    MILF wrote: »
    Hahaha, Sienna the Slag ....
    JP Liz wrote: »
    Homewrecker
    She is a home wrecker! :

I ask, why oh why is it always the (innocent) women that always gets the blame for marriage breakdowns/splits etc.

Also I know a lot of men who shag around who have never once been called a slapper yet when us women do it we are automatically 'the town wheel',an 'easy lay' and a 'slut'.
    Is anyone else just sick of these double standards society has for men and women?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

Fine them.......

crap actress

now are you happy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

Because she is famous and people like to target famous people. I'm pretty sure it would be the same reaction if some high flying hollywood actor did the same.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

Oh Good Jesus.
    She had an affair with a married man, yes he is scum, but she a dodgy actress with a questionable relationship history.
    She allegedly had an affair with Jude law when he was married,allegedly had an affair with Sean Combs while his girlfriend was pregnant, and now is having an affair with a married man with a child under one.
    What does she expect? Of course she is going to get called names, Of course none of these men a better then pond scum, but there's one common thing in all of these affairs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Got a fright there for a minute. I thought I had clicked through into the Celebrity and Showbiz forum by mistake. How could I live with myself?

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭bealbocht

GinnyJo wrote: »
    Oh Good Jesus.
    She had an affair with a married man, yes he is scum, but she a dodgy actress with a questionable relationship history.
    She allegedly had an affair with Jude law when he was married,allegedly had an affair with Sean Combs while his girlfriend was pregnant, and now is having an affair with a married man with a child under one.
    What does she expect? Of course she is going to get called names, Of course none of these men a better then pond scum, but there's one common thing in all of these affairs.

bit of a trend forming there alright.., although anyone of those guys could rightfully be called a b'tard.. for doing the dirt.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

What does she expect? Of course she is going to get called names,.

These are all 'allegedly'. David Beckham has had numerous 'alledged' affairs yet comes out smelling like roses.Brad Pitt cheated on his wife yet It was Angelina Jolie who was branded a homewrecker..............but Im not going to get into a discussion on celebrities, this is a much broader disscussion and I was just using Sienna Miller here as an example.

So you think that women who sleep around deserve to be called names then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Clebs forum ?

Of is this about the nasty names women call other women ?

Panda you started a thread based on Sienna so I was replying to how Sienna is not as innocent as you may have painted her.
    David Beckham did not escapre smelling of roses he was splashed all over the tabloids as was his wife at the time of his supposed affairs, as was Brad and Angelina.

So you think that women who sleep around deserve to be called names then?
    *Sigh*
    Where did I say that?

Please don't selectively quote my remarks to remove the parts relating to how I viewed the men in the situation aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Beetlebum

She knew he was married therefore she her behaviour is disgraceful. Regardless of how attracted I was to a man, if
    he had a girlfriend/wife & kids then I'd have enough self control and morals to refrain from jumping into bed with him.
    I hope the karma police get her and if she evers gets marries and has kids that her husband cheats on her. If that did
    happen I bet Sienns would be the first to call the girl a slut!!

Equally or arguably more so, the man is a bastard too. He is married, he took vows, he is hurting way more people then she is.
    Lets face it though, she is a beautiful young actress and I think most men would be tempted at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭eveie

sienna is not innocent in this matter, she knowinly got involved with a marrid man, in my opinion these names shes been called are fine in fact id go as far as saying there not bad! i wouldnt like to hear what her mans ex wife would call her

• Advertisement

David Beckham did not escapre smelling of roses he was splashed all over the tabloids as was his wife at the time of his supposed affairs, as was Brad and Angelina..

So you dont think there is a gender bias in society when It comes to naming people sluts and slappers?
    That both men and women equally are branded with these types of derogatory names?

Where did I say that?

Please don't selectively quote my remarks to remove the parts relating to how I viewed the men in the situation aswell.

You said "Of course she's going to get called names?"
    I took that to presume that you felt unquestionably that she desrved to be called a slapper and a slut for her behaviour? What did you mean?
    eveie wrote: »
    sienna is not innocent in this matter, she knowinly got involved with a marrid man, in my opinion these names shes been called are fine in fact id go as far as saying there not bad! i wouldnt like to hear what her mans ex wife would call her

Ok I take the point that she's not a complete innocent and I understand thats what GinnyJo was trying to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

She knowingly slept with a married man. She has "allegedly" done so before in the past. Any woman who willingly goes to bed with a married or involved man deserves everything she gets.

Your OP asked "Was anyone else pissed off at the unfair coverage that Sienna Miller has received lately?"

I don't think it was unfair I think she completely deserves it to be honest. She's not innocent and it's not the sleeping around that bothers people it's the sleeping with involved men.

She could sleep with a different man every night of the week and not many people would bat an eyelid, it's the men she chooses to sleep with that are the problem.

edit:

Genuine question to all the ladies of the lounge, if she or any other woman slept with your partner would you call them any less?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

you all only the one side of the story, there are four sides to this story.

1. The Husband
    2. The Wife
    3. The Sienna
    4. The Tabloids who would print anything to sell papers

what happens in the above peoples lives is nothing to do with anyone else except them.

I get the feeling Panda might be the third person in a relationship and is feeling a little bit paranoid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Beetlebum wrote: »
    Lets face it though, she is a beautiful young actress and I think most men would be tempted at least.
    I'm really sorry if I'm wrong Beetlebum, but that looks a little bit like you're excusing him - that this siren offered herself to him and he couldn't help it...:)

I agree with Panda. She's not objecting to the criticism of Sienna Miller, she's objecting to the way it's Sienna who's getting all the criticism, not Balthazar Getty.

Getting involved with a person whom you know is married is ****ty behaviour (generally - I think it would be best to look at each case individually) but it's the disproportionate doling out of abuse that's unfair. Both parties deserve it but in this case, it's the woman who's bearing the brunt far more. But then again, she is more well known than he is. However, he's the one married with four kids - seems very much like a homewrecker also.
    It was the same with Rebecca Loos - she was the target of far more vitriol than Beckham was.

My gran (who's 91, a devout catholic and from a rural part of the west of Ireland, to be fair) says it's always the woman's fault. So one day, I tried to gently to point out that the man is also having the affair. She agreed... but insisted it was still always the woman's fault... :) :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Burial

panda100 wrote: »
    So you dont think there is a gender bias in society when It comes to naming people sluts and slappers?
    That both men and women equally are branded with these types of derogatory names?

Well, imagine if the roles were reversed. They will be quoted homewreckers and the like. However, sluts is more female-y word, for example you don't call a guy a bitch, likewise you don't call a woman a bastard. It just doesn't go!

Anyway, you've always quoted men cheating on women. The women are sluts because they knew he was married and still did it anyway. If A woman was married and a man slept with her, he would be labelled the same.

I never said that, I was commenting on the cases presented in the thread.
    Yes I've seen gender bias, but imo anyone who is that sad and shallow to have that opinion about a completely innocent women is not worth listening to, or wasting my time on.

You said "Of course she's going to get called names?"
    I took that to presume that you felt unquestionably that she desrved to be called a slapper and a slut for her behaviour? What did you mean?
    You originally asked about her treatment by the media, I was referring to the fact of course she's going to be branded those names by the media, she's placed herself in position of the other women a few times, she also courts the media when she feels like it, the media loves gossip and scandal and will write anything for a headline.
    If she was anyway clever she wouldn't put herself in any positions where she might be called anything, plenty of celebs conduct their private life very privately.
    TBH I've seen numerous articles dragging Getty through the mud, and how many loverat articles are there about the likes of Darren Day, Calum Best, Brendan Cole..etc.?
    Ok I take the point that she's not a complete innocent and I understand thats what GinnyJo was trying to say.

honestly she's probably the worst example you could pick to prove this point.

irishbird wrote: »
    I get the feeling Panda might be the third person in a relationship and is feeling a little bit paranoid

haha no,no,I am an innocent :)

but I have been on the recieving end of some nasty name calling in the past, slapper etc. The whole Sienna debacle recently sorta reminded me of it and thought it would be an intresting thing to discuss in the lounge.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭KrazeeEyezKilla

For all of you who dont know, Sienna Miller,a free and single actress, recently got together with a married man who has a family. So you'd think in this wonderful post-feminist era where women are 'supposedly' crashing through glass ceilings and can shag around like men, that the one who cheated on his wife and family would be branded horrible names.

I have no idea what she is supposed to have done and have little knowledge or interest in Sienna Miller, but I've never understood why some women think that if some men behave like c**ts that they should do the same and be considered 'liberated' for doing so.

irishbird wrote: »

I get the feeling your feeling is wrong and that Panda is trying to have a dicussion on the degrading and demeaning sexually related terms that are used about women which are not used about men and how we as women need to stop using such terms.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Solarball10

I ask, why oh why is it always the (innocent) women that always gets the blame for marriage breakdowns/splits etc.

Hmmm....innocent? Did she not know he was married then?

Sorry, but it's true - any woman that gets involved with a married man IS a slut, homewrecker, whatever you want to call it.
    The married man is an even bigger d!ck.

And yep, it does suck the way the "other women" seem to get blamed more than the men, but that's double standards for you!

• Advertisement

But it's a bit grim that these double standards exist in the first place.
    Thaedydal wrote: »
    I get the feeling your feeling is wrong and that Panda is trying to have a dicussion on the degrading and demeaning sexually related terms that are used about women which are not used about men and how we as women need to stop using such terms.
    ... and the disparity between the media/public's treatment of the married man and of the "other woman". There tends to be a glaring difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

The reason she's been branded as such is because of the target marked for retarded celeb mags/programs are 99% female. With women being exceptionally hateful towards one another, it sells more when it's the woman that's being a <insert slut alternative>.

Burial wrote: »
    Well, imagine if the roles were reversed. They will be quoted homewreckers and the like. However, sluts is more female-y word, for example you don't call a guy a bitch, likewise you don't call a woman a bastard. It just doesn't go!

So when a man sleeps around a lot what is the term for it?
    A slut?
    A Slapper?
    A Whore?
    These to me seem words more synonmous with females, But perhaps thats just me.
    And the term homewrecker I think most certainly is associated with women. Why isnt Balthazar Getty the one being brandished a 'homewrceker'? Is he not really the one responsible for wrecking his home? Why is it the women in these situation who has to take the brunt of the blame? Why is society so eager to spurn these women and not the one who has deserted their famliles and wives?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

It's more the Womans fault in my opinion, as a woman can procure sex from almost any man. Why does she choose a married one? Thats not to say the married man isn't at fault either.
    A man cannot get sex as easily as a Woman, therefore whenever he scores he is a stud. It is an achievement for him. A woman need only open her legs.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭chickenhawk

In this case I have to agree that the guy is the homewrecker. But I don't think the woman is free of guilt either. She (I presume) knew he was married and still went along with it.

However she has taken most of the blame because she is famous and an easy person to do profiles on etc which fills pages.

Anyone who cheats on another person is a cnut imo. The person who has the relationship/family etc and still cheats is doing something much worse then the single person and deserves all the bad stuff that happens. So in this case the guy deserves to be the one called a cnut.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,052 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I have to say I think Kinetic^ has a point. I have found women are generally much worse than men at branding other women sluts, whores etc. You'll hear more women brand women, too fat, bad dress sense, bad mothers, too skinny, too pushy etc. Do not get me wrong men can be as bad sometimes, but not nearly to the same extent. Especially about complete strangers.

Most men would have ms miller on the radar as some tottie they've seen half naked in loaded, that as far as they recall was shagging that bloke jude law. That's about the extent of their knowledge. I would put money that most of those calling her a slapper are other women reading those mags and editors male and female serving it up to an audience that wants to read that guff.

Personal opinion in the case of infidelity? He's a fool led by his willy and she's a fool led by her crotch and often compounded by the idea he'll leave the wife and kids. If she's just in it for the shaggete then she's a slapper with no sense of responsibility. IMHO I think the husband in these cases is far worse as he has a responsibility to the wife and kids as well as to himself.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

WindSock wrote: »
    It's more the Womans fault in my opinion, as a woman can procure sex from almost any man. Why does she choose a married one? Thats not to say the married man isn't at fault either.
    A man cannot get sex as easily as a Woman, therefore whenever he scores he is a stud. It is an achievement for him. A woman need only open her legs.
    But then surely a man has to degrade himself more in order to get sex? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Burial

So when a man sleeps around a lot what is the term for it?
    A slut?
    A Slapper?
    A Whore?
    These to me seem words more synonmous with females, But perhaps thats just me.
    And the term homewrecker I think most certainly is associated with women. Why isnt Balthazar Getty the one being brandished a 'homewrceker'? Is he not really the one responsible for wrecking his home? Why is it the women in these situation who has to take the brunt of the blame? Why is society so eager to spurn these women and not the one who has deserted their famliles and wives?

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Homewrecker

"One who comes into your life, and screws it all up. This involves stealing your boyfriend/girlfriend, puppy, your friends, until they pretty much take over your entire life."

That is why Sienna is a homewrecker. And look up slut, slapper, and everything you just said. They apply to females, not males. As for male terms (If confronted by the BF/OH):

Wanker,
    Prick,
    Man-Whore,
    etc,

I've hinted this in my last post, and I'm going to ask it now.

Can you tell me of a celebrity married female who cheated with a single man?

P.S.

It's mostly women who call other women those names you say. Men usually talk about fighting/hurting the other guy, rather then resorting to name calling...

P.P.S

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=man%20whore

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=man-slut

Look at any of the words associated with those....

P.P.P.S

So yes, Sienna is a home-wrecker, but if the roles were reversed, whoever slept with her would be the home-wrecker.

WindSock wrote: »

Rubbish if he wanted to have an affair he chooses to have one.

I find the idea that a man can not pass up sex on a plate even when he is in a committed relationship to be insulting.

Ah poor men it's not there fault some "slapper" offered him sex....
    Bullshít, utter bullshít.
    He is the one who took vows and swore oaths and he is the one who broke them, I find him to be there for more culpable.

• Advertisement

Burial wrote: »
    So yes, Sienna is a home-wrecker, but if the roles were reversed, whoever slept with her would be the home-wrecker.
    Surely the married party (and in this case, parent) is also the homewrecker?

Advertisement