Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Luas: Badly designed?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭The_Brood

This is one of these 'so what' scenarios, even if its true.
    It happens all over the world, like going from Leicester Sq to Covent Garden on the Tube in London would take marginally longer than walking but no-one suggests that its a bad idea to serve these places.
    These things generally aren't designed to be the best way of going from one city centre stop to another city centre stop a kilometre away, they are primarily commuter lines aimed at going from suburban locations to urban locations. The slow bits in the middle are necessary for the overall system to be a working network.

That's why underground metros are a necessity. Without them, you are stick with an endlessly worsening cluster**** above .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 711 ✭✭✭Three More Big Sleeps

jrmb wrote: »
    I saw a tram painted yellow the other day as part of an advertising campaign.

Yes indeed, saw it this morning: it's almost fluorescent yellow and it's irrelevantly for some vaping company.

In any event, the colour made no difference as I was crossing the road, mostly because I'm self-aware enough to know that I was crossing a fcuking road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭orourkeda1977

Do you think there are design flaws with the luas and the signaling systems etc considering the amount of accident and actual deaths that have been linked with it.

Some incidents are definitely as a result of people running red lights etc but not all can be classed this way.

I wonder how much of a review takes places after each of the incidents

A more significant problem is the number of idiots using the roads.

Idiot drivers.

Idiot pedestrians.

Idiot cyclists.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭kirving

Another near-invisible Luas smashed up this morning;

Who said anything about near-invisible? I could post a picture of a plane crash and claim planes are unsafe. Cherry picking incidents does prove much.

Their livery is close to the worst colour possible for a country like Ireland. Overcast skies and long periods of twilight.

This was intentional however. Blends into the city well, doesn't look tacky, and won't go out of fashion easily since it's so bland.

When the Luas was first introduced it did not have the yellow stripe. I imagine it was added at cost to the operator for a specific reason.

Go-Ahead busses were originally blue at the front when first tested, and were very quickly changed to yellow in response to customer feedback.

I think they certainly could have improved lighting at the front though before going changing the livery.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

There is a AOA Luas all yellow at the moment, not sure if posted already.

Doesn't matter the colour as people are just thick and as thick as 2 planks....

They see vehicles coming and they step out, on their phones etc and in a different world and step out...

No cure for thickness I'm afraid

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,991 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Who said anything about near-invisible? I could post a picture of a plane crash and claim planes are unsafe. Cherry picking incidents does prove much.

Their livery is close to the worst colour possible for a country like Ireland. Overcast skies and long periods of twilight.

This was intentional however. Blends into the city well, doesn't look tacky, and won't go out of fashion easily since it's so bland.

When the Luas was first introduced it did not have the yellow stripe. I imagine it was added at cost to the operator for a specific reason.

Go-Ahead busses were originally blue at the front when first tested, and were very quickly changed to yellow in response to customer feedback.

I think they certainly could have improved lighting at the front though before going changing the livery.

You can imagine all you like, but the facts don't change - it's big, noisy, and has a big yellow stripe all round it. Anyone who has difficulty seeing it has no business being behind the wheel.

Do we need to ban all silver/grey cars as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

There is a AOA Luas all yellow at the moment, not sure if posted already.

Doesn't matter the colour as people are just thick and as thick as 2 planks....

They see vehicles coming and they step out, on their phones etc and in a different world and step out...

No cure for thickness I'm afraid

Indeed. It doesn't matter what colour you paint it if people don't look at it.

• Site Banned Posts: 1 devintoner

The Luas Red Line needs to be extended to Rathcoole.

BTW are the super-long trams still in use?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Good for you. I get the luas across the city every day at both rush hours. I walk it sometimes too and it is absolutely not faster walking.

Do you have one leg?

I take the Luas to Abbey and walk to Charlemont area quicker than the Luas, I've taken and still take the Luas when I'm feeling lazy but walking is quicker then Marlborough to Charlemont

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

Do you have one leg?

I take the Luas to Abbey and walk to Charlemont area quicker than the Luas, I've taken and still take the Luas when I'm feeling lazy but walking is quicker then Marlborough to Charlemont

Google maps says that walk takes 30 minutes. Even if you’re power walking that will take at least 20 minutes. The Luas will take about 10 minutes but certainly no more than 15. Of course if you’re adding waiting time for changing trams then that’s a different story.

• Advertisement

IngazZagni wrote: »
    Google maps says that walk takes 30 minutes. Even if you’re power walking that will take at least 20 minutes. The Luas will take about 10 minutes but certainly no more than 15. Of course if you’re adding waiting time for changing trams then that’s a different story.

Try it yourself at rush hour, the luas can be 6/7 minutes getting from Marlborough to Trinity alone. I make the walk in 20/22 minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Somedaythefire

Try it yourself at rush hour, the luas can be 6/7 minutes getting from Marlborough to Trinity alone. I make the walk in 20/22 minutes
    I've never once had the luas take 6 or 7 minutes to get to Trinity at rush hour. It routinely, and by routinely I mean nearly every single day at rush hour, it takes 13-15 minutes to get to Harcourt. Today it took 11 minutes.

I've never once had the luas take 6 or 7 minutes to get to Trinity at rush hour. It routinely, and by routinely I mean nearly every single day at rush hour, it takes 13-15 minutes to get to Harcourt. Today it took 11 minutes.

11 minutes from where to where?

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Somedaythefire

11 minutes from where to where?
    Marlborough to Harcourt Street.

Marlborough to Harcourt Street.

Which end of Harcourt St?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

The Luas in college green will regularly completely block the junction there for traffic travelling up townsend street, only a matter of time before a car or truck doesnt realise the green light is only a suggestion there and ploughs into a carriage

Apparently the traffic corps are okay with this carry on right outside their window.

So yeah, not the best system in the world

• Registered Users Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Bambi wrote: »
    The Luas in college green will regularly completely block the junction there for traffic travelling up townsend street, only a matter of time before a car or truck doesnt realise the green light is only a suggestion there and ploughs into a carriage

Apparently the traffic corps are okay with this carry on right outside their window.

So yeah, not the best system in the world

Well its taxi and Dublin Bus that make this happen by blocking access to Trinity....

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Well its taxi and Dublin Bus that make this happen by blocking access to Trinity....

Who's responsibility is it to ensure that they only cross a junction when they have space to clear it?

The old luas drivers have been given a TFI papal blessing to do as they see fit, the results are evident.

Bambi wrote: »
    Who's responsibility is it to ensure that they only cross a junction when they have space to clear it?

The old luas drivers have been given a TFI papal blessing to do as they see fit, the results are evident.

Again bus and taxi are blocking boxes. If trams waited for clearance they would be hours.

The biggest design flaw was not putting it in a tunnel.

• Advertisement

17 minutes last night from Charlemont to O'Connell. I decided to give it a try this morning on the reverse but at just before 8.30 this morning but the next tram at Marlborough was 8 minutes away so I walked.

Just over nine minutes from Marlborough to Harcourt on Friday evening at rush hour;

476400.JPG

Marlborough to Charlemont yesterday morning was 21minutes.

Also Strava time pauses when it's stopped, so your 10minutes wouldn't include times stopped or moving slowly

Marlborough to Charlemont yesterday morning was 21minutes.

Also Strava time pauses when it's stopped, so your 10minutes wouldn't include times stopped or moving slowly

I am sure when its pissing rain you have no problem using it.

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    I am sure when its pissing rain you have no problem using it.

What has that got to do with the length of time it takes? I used it yesterday, I was banjoed after training.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭fatknacker

It should have a leap scanner on board

fatknacker wrote: »
    It should have a leap scanner on board

You'd see a big rush for it when the orange lads got on though.

Nope, elapsed time.

Nope, elapsed time.

Fair enough, seems you got lucky. It's not been that way for me. Now there are times it's quick but for me it's taking 17-20 odd minutes going that way around 8.30ish.

If I get off the Red Line at Abbey at 8.30 I walk because I know I'll be in work on time whereas I've been late if I take the Green Line. Thankfully I'll be back commuting on the bike in 2 weeks which takes all of 15minutes from door to door :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭jrmb

You'd see a big rush for it when the orange lads got on though.
    That's true but no doubt they could temporarily turn them off. In France, on-board scanners work well.

Advertisement