Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Thurles

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭jooksavage

• Registered Users Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

it is a disgrace though.
    that surface isn't there that long .

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

jooksavage wrote: »
    "Worse than Syria".

hyperbole
    hʌɪˈpəːbəli/
    noun
    exaggerated statements or claims

Typical SF “third world conditions” “police state” nonsense.
    It’s bad alright but slightly insulting considering the amount of Syrian refugees in Thurles.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,990 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

McKeons Shoes is closing.
    Heard there's a good sale on.

To thine own self be true

any truth that the L and n costcutters is closing

• Advertisement

Jesus. Friar Street is depressing as hell

Jesus. Friar Street is depressing as hell

Is it just me or is Thurles very busy tonight? What’s that all about ?

I have no idea how they’ve kept going this long. Lidl must be killing them.

splinter65 wrote: »
    I have no idea how they’ve kept going this long. Lidl must be killing them.

is that yes

is that yes

Oh I haven’t a clue, I didn’t hear anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

I doubt that’s true. A big advantage that supermarket has is the car park behind it. If it did that premises would be snapped up pretty fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

If thats true that would be at least 4 decent size sites lying empty in thurles...there was often talk of tesco looking to move.the old L&N site would be a good in town location for them more.
    Has Elevrys moved to the shopping centre yet? Also specsavers are recruiting for a thurles store
    Both Tempemore and Thurles badly need the like of the plans for lisheen site and glessons site to take off.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,566 ✭✭✭shmeee

If thats true that would be at least 4 decent size sites lying empty in thurles...there was often talk of tesco looking to move.the old L&N site would be a good in town location for them more.
    Has Elevrys moved to the shopping centre yet? Also specsavers are recruiting for a thurles store
    Both Tempemore and Thurles badly need the like of the plans for lisheen site and glessons site to take off.

Elverys / Tipp GAA Store re-locating to the Shopping Centre and coming together in one store. Will happen over the coming Months.

Specsavers planning to be open for April also there too.

The square / side streets in Thurles are slowly dying a death.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

shmeee wrote: »
    Elverys / Tipp GAA Store re-locating to the Shopping Centre and coming together in one store. Will happen over the coming Months.

What will happen with Lár na Páirce? You'd assume most of their footfall comes from people going into the shop to buy Tipp gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,566 ✭✭✭shmeee

marvin80 wrote: »
    What will happen with Lár na Páirce? You'd assume most of their footfall comes from people going into the shop to buy Tipp gear.

The Lar na Pairce shop will be closed.

The museum there is a waste of time and figures showing visitor numbers were shocking last I saw. Wasn't worth it. Literally a few dozen a year.

The GAA offices will stay there.

shmeee wrote: »
    The Lar na Pairce shop will be closed.

The museum there is a waste of time and figures showing visitor numbers were shocking last I saw. Wasn't worth it. Literally a few dozen a year.

The GAA offices will stay there.

The museum needed to be integrated with the stadium though in all honesty or a better idea would have been for the GAA to buy Hayes Hotel and turn it into a GAA themed hotel with artefacts on display along the lobby and in the bars. It would draw visitors and give them a great sense of tradition. It may not even be a bad idea for the new owners of Hayes to do something similar or perhaps for the County board to open something within the stadium.

The shop and museum was in a very badly located part of town. Nice building it is and all.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,652 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

what are they going to make it into

what are they going to make it into

A family home for themselves apparently.
    As far as I can make out the courtyard will open out into Parnell St Carpark which is like Sodom and Gomorahh when Lar Corbett’s puts out at around 12.30pm especially after Monday Club!!
    Strikes me that the Irish American wife said “I wanna live in an oirish castle hunny !!” and he’s gonna try to make it happen.
    Not a hope in hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

While i dont often agree with objections and some of he complaints people have on facebook but i have to agree with the love thurles page about the munster hotel....so much for a health center..planning gone in for a bookies. Of all the things badly needed in thurles...another bookies isnt needed

• Advertisement

People in Thurles gave up on wanting jobs a long time ago. During the recession up to 500 construction jobs could have been created building two supermarkets. Two independent retailers stopped this and are serial objectors. In fact most of Liberty Square is. It’s embarrassing that on our Main Street there’s 2 derelict premises (Apollo/Ladbrokes, pub beside Heatons) and a charity shop in what was a more upmarket premises. I had a friend visiting from the USA recently who took one look at that Tesco store and decided he didn’t want to consume anything from it. Remember the time the freezer doors wouldn’t close in it? They stopped selling frozen food for a number of days. More recently it took them months to replace the fridges at the door that stopped working. It shut for store renovations for two days a number of years ago. It was rumoured the HSE forced them to close.

At least there’s more bookmakers for the unemployed to lose their money and the more gummy mouthed beggars opening car doors of elderly looking for €2.

People in Thurles gave up on wanting jobs a long time ago. During the recession up to 500 construction jobs could have been created building two supermarkets. Two independent retailers stopped this and are serial objectors. In fact most of Liberty Square is. It’s embarrassing that on our Main Street there’s 2 derelict premises (Apollo/Ladbrokes, pub beside Heatons) and a charity shop in what was a more upmarket premises. I had a friend visiting from the USA recently who took one look at that Tesco store and decided he didn’t want to consume anything from it. Remember the time the freezer doors wouldn’t close in it? They stopped selling frozen food for a number of days. More recently it took them months to replace the fridges at the door that stopped working. It shut for store renovations for two days a number of years ago. It was rumoured the HSE forced them to close.

At least there’s more bookmakers for the unemployed to lose their money and the more gummy mouthed beggars opening car doors of elderly looking for €2.

Bit harsh.

By the way, did you get caught by the guy claiming to be a chef but his kitchen burnt down so now he was reduced to wandering the Square for a few days? Pretty elaborate back story as they go.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭mikep

Sad but true Grab All.
    Empty premises are growing with the departure of Elverys and Stakelums "fashion" from the square...but sure it will all be grand when the square gets redeveloped giving the scobies more areas to destroy..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,990 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

^And to think only a few years ago, Fiona Looney compared Thurles Square to Bond Street in London for its high end fashion outlets!

To thine own self be true

Bit harsh.

By the way, did you get caught by the guy claiming to be a chef but his kitchen burnt down so now he was reduced to wandering the Square for a few days? Pretty elaborate back story as they go.

He’s actually quite dangerous. I’m not going to elaborate but don’t take him for harmless, believe me he’s not.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭HcksawJimDuggan

splinter65 wrote: »
    He’s actually quite dangerous. I’m not going to elaborate but don’t take him for harmless, believe me he’s not.

Any chance of a description so we know to avoid him?

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭PacMan

I like Thurles. The shopping centre is excellent and always has a good "Buzz" about the place. Some great shops like Stakelums Hardware on the racecourse road, and also Ronaynes hardware is very good.
    I am very reluctant to drive around the square, as it seems to be a free for all and although I have been driving for many a year, its not an ideal place to drive.

Any chance of a description so we know to avoid him?

Big fine fella fantastic head of dark hair early 50s. Would be good looking if he was tidied up. May have a dog on a lead.
    Tapping young fellas for fags non stop .
    He’s great craic till he suddenly snaps. Then he’s a vicious thug. And he has the memory of an elephant even when pissed. He’s terrified some of the younger wastrels around the town . He’s wrecked all the houses he was given by the council so he’s homeless now.

Another problem in the town is the mental health service in St Mary’s drugging and dumping its patients on to the streets. A few years ago a teenager from Drombane was punched by one of them at the bus stop in the square. She was laughing with someone on the phone when one of these patients accused her of laughing at him and punched her in the face.

• Advertisement

Another problem in the town is the mental health service in St Mary’s drugging and dumping its patients on to the streets. A few years ago a teenager from Drombane was punched by one of them at the bus stop in the square. She was laughing with someone on the phone when one of these patients accused her of laughing at him and punched her in the face.

You can blame all the wooly left wing hand wringing do-gooders who wagged their fingers at the government and told them to close down all the psychiatric hospitals and let people look after themselves.
    Now we have “care in the community”. It’s a joke.

Advertisement