Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The comedy genius.

• 23-05-2020 7:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭

The lockdown has given me an opportunity to catch up on some TV shows I haven’t watched over the years, despite them being recommended to me. I never really got into the whole boxset ‘binging’ thing, and it seemed like a bit of a waste of time to be honest. I’m the sort who would prefer to read the classics instead of staring gormlessly at a screen watching the latest dross that Netflix have released.

However, I’ve just finished watching Veep. The phrase comedy genius is overused, but can there be any doubt that Armando Iannucci is indeed fully deserving of the title? The writer of such comedy classics as The Day Today, I’m Alan Partridge, The Thick of It, The Death of Stalin etc.

Is there anyone else you feel is deserving of the comedy genius title? I’ve scanned threads in AH that relate to comedy, and find they always seem to be bad tempered affairs where desperately unfunny men give out about comedians and comedy, so I’m hoping this thread doesn’t follow the same route. Preferably modern comedy geniuses, as otherwise we get the Steptoe and Son, Dave Allen, Two Ronnies, P.G Wodehouse sorts putting in their false teeth and waxing lyrical about the ‘good old days’.

I’m also well aware that I’ve a magnificent sense of humour (and am quite the gifted mimic in real life), but I don’t feel I deserve the title of comedy genius. So no need to flatter me unnecessarily.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭LeYouth

Jayz you're back

• Registered Users Posts: 73,364 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Stewart Lee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

I reckon The Viper’s is Ireland’s pre-eminent comic genius at the moment. My son introduced me to his streams a few months ago and I have to say The Viper blows that pseudo intellectual fraud Blindboy Boatclub out of the water. The Viper strikes me as a very smart man pretending to be stupid and Blindboy is the exact opposite.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,443 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I’m the sort who would prefer to read the classics instead of stating gormlessly at a screen watching the latest dross that Netflix have released.

I’m also well aware that I’ve a magnificent sense of humour (and am quite the gifted mimic in real life), but I don’t feel I deserve the title of comedy genius. So no need to flatter me unnecessarily.

You do unintentional comedy well at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,429 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Woke Hogan wrote: »
    I reckon The Viper’s is Ireland’s pre-eminent comic genius at the moment.

Yeah, that ‘Hardy Bucks’ was good alright but I think Tony Cantwell, The Fresh Prince of Hilar, would have him beat for the “crown“ of current top Irish comedian.

The tide is turning…

• Advertisement

Yeah, that ‘Hardy Bucks’ was good alright but I think Tony Cantwell, The Fresh Prince of Hilar, would have him beat for the “crown“ of current top Irish comedian.

His later stuff is way better than Hardy Bucks.

But if we’re talking modern “comedy genius” you’d have to consider people like Dave Chappelle, Larry David, Sacha Baron Cohen, Dylan Moran, Rhod Gilbert, Limmy, Tina Fey, Steve Coogan and a few others to go along with Iannucci.

The tide is turning…

colm_mcm wrote: »
    His later stuff is way better than Hardy Bucks.

Like that ‘Republic of Telly’?

The tide is turning…

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Central Services

Lewis CK, Tommy Cooper, The Marx Brothers, Emo Philips, Richard Pryor

Like that ‘Republic of Telly’?

He does live streams and was doing some stuff for RT. I wouldn’t call him a comedy genius though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

If we're talking tv shows/sitcoms then Ianucci is hard to beat. Veep is sublime, albeit i wasnt mad about last series and his latest with Hugh Laurie isnt his best either. I would have both Ben Elton and Gervais up there too, as writers. Probably a lot of other good ones i wouldnt even know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭85603

If I had candidates for the title of comedy genius then four of them are in this clip together at the same time, below.

norton, cumia, louis ck and patrice, at the same time. the dream team.

honorable mentions for burr, stanhope, larry david, chris rock, dave chappelle.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    He does live streams and was doing some stuff for RT. I wouldn’t call him a comedy genius though.

The ‘Sherlock’ spoof on that ‘Republic of Telly’ was very funny.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

85603 wrote: »
    If I had candidates for the title of comedy genius then four of them are in this clip together at the same time, below.

norton, cumia, louis ck and patrice, at the same time. the dream team.

honorable mentions for burr, stanhope, larry david, chris rock, dave chappelle.

Didn't Louis CK masturbate in front of children? I wouldn't be including him in any hall of fame to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭85603

Didn't Louis CK masturbate in front of children? I wouldn't be including him in any hall of fame to be honest.

yes, in a cancer ward. while laughing about nelson mandellas death.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Dave Chappelle,

I'm not really well versed in comedy admittedly and don't know a huge amount about him but his sketches on Prince and Rick James were amazing. I love humour that is somewhat surreal and highly observational and takes the piss but isn't cruel or lowest common denominator.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Look up Hale and Pace.... Hilarious

• Registered Users Posts: 12,752 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Gervais and Merchant...together magic.

Louis CK.

Stewart Lee.

Steve Coogan.

Look up Hale and Pace.... Hilarious

He said “modern”.

Hale and Pace haven’t been “relevant” since they were warning us about fireworks and trying to sell us Clorets.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 8,112 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

is it possible to separate the artist from the art?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭FVP3

The OP mentioned Armando Iannucci, a writer and people are replying with comedians. I don't know who can match Iannucci on modern comedy writing. Maybe Charlie Brooker, but he is more a general satirist than a comedy writer.

Stewart Lee is as funny as cancer, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭FVP3

Louis didnt mastrubate in front of children, he got the lad out in front of women who knew that if they didn't have much choice in the matter, and tugged on it good. Not the same.

I thought that Stewart Lee was outed as an anti-semite recently. Disgusting.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Woke Hogan wrote: »
    The Viper strikes me as a very smart man pretending to be stupid and Blindboy is the exact opposite.

An interesting weigh-up there, which I agree with.

The only thing is Francis Viper Higgins can go a bit out there at times. Loses me. Boy doesn't be well at times.

FVP3 wrote: »
    Louis didnt mastrubate in front of children, he got the lad out in front of women who knew that if they didn't have much choice in the matter, and tugged on it good. Not the same.

I never really got the “full story” there, did he not ask the women if it was ok before he took it out?

The tide is turning…

FVP3 wrote: »

I thought that Stewart Lee was outed as an anti-semite recently. Disgusting.

He was accused of being anti Semite because he made a joke about Tom Tugendhat’s name in a newspaper column.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

June-Rogers.jpg

Genius.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Tiredalways

Any love for Friday night dinner out there. regularly has me in peels of laughter.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I like Marc Maron. Prob the most enjoyable comedic show I attended in vicar street last year. I’ve been to a fair few over the decades. My only regret was never getting to see Billy Connolly live. Surprised nobody mentioned him, maybe some feel he’s not modern, he’s still alive....

Norm MacDonald.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Chris Morris hasn't done a whole lot recently, but Brass Eye, On the Hour, The Day Today etc are comedy classics.

I'd also consider the South Park lads to be comedy geniuses.

Advertisement