Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cocaine

• 17-01-2020 3:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,191 ✭✭✭

In the context of ever increasing consumption of cocaine in Ireland, I thought the following from the gardai investigating Keane Mulready-Woods gruesome murder was interesting. Indeed, given the typical demographic of this site, there are large numbers of cocaine users on this site. So, do you think cocaine users in Ireland have some responsibility for the gang warfare that is destroying parts of the country?
    RTE News wrote:
    Chief Supt Mangan said that anyone taking cocaine contributes to Keane's death, the drug economy and the criminal networks.

"Just look at the fallout from you buying drugs, it's damaging our children and society," he said.

Do cocaine users in Ireland have blood on their hands? 989 votes

Yes
    65% 645 votes
    No
    34% 344 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Prohibition does not work, never has never will.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Legalize it and remove the criminality from the trade for the most part

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Gobb

Without the demand, there is no need to supply. So yes, users are a contributing factor.

However, dealers/gangs/etc know what they are getting into as with any "profession" one might decide to employ themselves in.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,191 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    This isn't a question about legalisation. The question is that given coke is currently illegal, do current users have blood on their hands?

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Mr.burgess

what about crack cocaine ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

This isn't a question about legalisation. The question is that given coke is currently illegal, do current users have blood on their hands?

The government for their failed policy of prohibition have blood on their hands

• Registered Users Posts: 14,328 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Yes, I think they do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Mr.burgess wrote: »
    what about crack cocaine ?

Why do you care if it's freebase or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Gobb

tuxy wrote: »
    Why do you care if it's freebase or not?

Physiologically more addicting and effects lower income demographics?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

yes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Very hard to do coke with bloody hands - too sticky.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,170 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I had a similar thread a few months back. People didn't feel that guilty!

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=111355432

Which is in itself a leading question, and one following a particular agenda. Guilt.

Collective guilt.

I'm not a cocaine user. Never have been and never will. And I find the notion of collective guilt to be disgusting. So, no, They're not responsible... no more than you're responsible for the priests molesting boys if you're a Christian. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

I'd be very much in favour of legalising all drugs, and I'm a recovering addict so I'm all too aware of the damage drugs can do to a person!

My drug of choice was alcohol and there's plenty of help available for those who want to stop drinking. Many of my friends in recovery were addicted to heroin or cocaine or other drugs, there are a lot more barriers to getting help when it's an illegal substance.

Legalisation would remove much of the stigma, it would make recovery supports more accessible to those who want recovery, and it would reduce the criminality associated with the supply of drugs.

Those who want to use are going to do it anyways, same as those who wanted abortions were always going to go to England to get them. Same with the abortion referendum, it makes sense to acknowledge what's happening, bring it out into the open, and have the supports available for those in need.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭fatknacker

The psychopaths who groom and recruit young boys from disadvantaged areas have blood on their hands. Literally. People who consume drugs illegally have no other ways to get them.
    And if it weren’t drugs they’d be selling something else that the public want but cant access.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

The government for their failed policy of prohibition have blood on their hands

Agreed.

Prohibition will always fail.

The government are largely responsible because despite this glaringly obvious fact they continue with a failed policy.

We need a government with a little foresight and courage to tackle this one.

We'll be waiting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

These criminals will always find something to sell to people, be that drugs, gambling, money lending etc. The fact that they are currently fighting over drug territories is irrelevant, because if it wasn't drugs it'd be something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭JMMCapital

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,898 ✭✭✭circadian

The War on Drugs and prohibition are failed policies and a complete disaster. The Government should have realised this in the 80's when there was a heroin epidemic. Then we had the market flooded with synthetic analogues which were arguablely much more dangerous.

I'm all for legalisation of marijuana and decriminalisation of all other drugs. I do believe, however, anyone caught with large supplies with intent to sell or bypassing any marijuana licencing laws should be handed a heavy sentence.

The school curriculum should be honest and Frank about drugs. Not this drugs are bad approach. More along the lines of how the drugs actually effect you, responsible usage if you do decide to do drugs and the risks involved.

Nightclubs/festivals should be allowed to have drug testing on site.

While I think users contribute to the criminal factor ultimately it falls on successive governments failure to tackle the issue in a mature and responsible way. There will always be a demand, let's at least make it safer for the average joe. After all, addiction is an illness and that also needs to be dealt with in a much better manner than it currently is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

Eamon Dunphy says you cant get good coke in this town anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 11,298 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

I’m not going to give an opinion on ending prohibition as I think the issue is quite nuanced with pros and cons but I do see one issue which always seems to get overlooked in this debate.

If the newly elected Dail decided to legalise cocaine for example.

Where does it come from? We’d be the only country where it’s legal although I’m open to correction. Our supply chain would still need to involve shady characters in Colombia or Mexico or wherever so it wouldn’t instantly remove the criminal element.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,898 ✭✭✭circadian

There's a difference between legalisation and decriminalisation. I believe when people aya it would be legalised they really mean it should be decriminalised like Portugal or the Czech Republic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

What is with the focus on coke?
    Gangland deals in everything from weed to fake clothing and fake smokes.

Is it because these other items are not as sexy as coke that there is next to no talk about them?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

Diceicle wrote: »
    What is with the focus on coke?
    Gangland deals in everything from weed to fake clothing and fake smokes.

Is it because these other items are not as sexy as coke that there is next to no talk about them?

I'd imagine it's the addiction/dependent element of drugs. People tend to be less dependent on knock-off Gucci handbags.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

If you want to hang out, you've gotta take her out...

If you want to get down, get down on the ground...

She don't lie, she don't lie, she don't lie...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭blackbox

I'm in favour of legalisation of all drugs for adults as it is patently obvious that prohibition doesn't work.

However I recognize that it is a complex issue because of potential cross border smuggling.

Legalisation only has a chance of working if it is approached at EU level.

Not a user...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,170 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

People don't care. They only care about getting their high.
    A minbus full of school kids could get all killed tomorrow because of gangland feuds/related to drugs and no one would stop taking cocaine.

But if the price went up by 1000% people would. That's life.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

That garda is dead right. Cocaine is everywhere and use is rampant. These gangs supply it and get it from areas of the world with massive problems so those using are directly contributing to the problem. Tbh blaming the government or anything else is only deflecting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Paulzx

The base problem with drugs is addiction. All the other issues and societal woes associated with drugs stem from this addiction.

Legalising it doesn't remove the addiction. There is no solution to the drugs problem once people continue to become addicted irrespective of whether we legalise it or not. I am on the fence on whether legalising is a good or bad thing.

Even with legalisation i still believe there will be criminality associated with drugs. n addict will still need their fix. Who's going to pay for it? As their habit increases they are still going to have to fund their drugs even if they are legal. Robbery and petty criminality will still be the source of funds for the addict who needs more drugs than the state will supply them with.

Personally, I can't see what the solution is or if there even is a solution.

Advertisement