Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Humble House Phone.

• 29-07-2020 9:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭

Is it still a a thing within Irish Households or has everyone gone mobile?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

Still have a landline, and both a corded and cordless handsets used daily.

House in an area with a poor enough mobile signal across all providers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭xabi

Still have one, my Mother is the only one that calls it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭accensi0n

phone.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,688 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Nah it's long gone. I have calls on my VM package I never even hooked a phone up to the modem.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Elwood_Blues

Mobile all the way these days. Do have the option with Virgin to use a phone plugged into their router as they provide a home phone of sorts but have never used it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

I know there one as part of my VM package but have never used it. I'm not even sure where it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭bittihuduga

have the dual set cordless connected to VM.
    not sure anyone else knows the number other than me and wifey.
    my 7 year old uses the handset to ring me on mobile when she has trouble with mommy ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Vita nova

Still have a house phone but these days it's hooked up to the internet modem as opposed to the telephone network. As far as I'm aware there is no fixed charge and we only pay for some calls, so there's no extra cost in having it. Lots of free calls to other international landlines that aren't available from the mobile networks.

I still use Web based free phone apps but they're not as convenient as a permanent phone (IMO) and the quality of service isn't as consistent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Hoop66

Still have a home phone, the only calls I get on it are scams so I never answer it. I keep meaning to ask Virgin to take it away, but I think I get a slight discount for having it. Presumably so Virgin can sell my phone no to all those scammers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

I find it great when I have to send a fax. Only reason I have it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Vita nova

Also, you won't get the same feels making a call from your mobile or PC as from this beauty:

sr1v4zdu49221.jpg
    Telecom Eireann used to sell (& rent) these as one of their standard sets.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Still have a landline and the usual type cordless phone.

A while ago I bought a corded old style phone that doesn't need external power.
    Meaning I can still make phone calls when the electricity and internet have gone and the mobile battery happens to be empty.

Hashtag zombie apocalypse :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

I got a new landline number a few months ago when I upgraded the place to Eir fibre. I then invested a twenty-spot in Panasonic's finest beige plastic, just to commission the thing and have some sort of backup should cellular ever go titsup.com. I never use it.

peasant wrote: »
    Still have a landline and the usual type cordless phone.

A while ago I bought a corded old style phone that doesn't need external power.
    Meaning I can still make phone calls when the electricity and internet have gone and the mobile battery happens to be empty...

Nice and old-school. I see the landline plugs into the modem under the fibre setup, so my one does depend on the electrickery.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

jimgoose wrote: »
    Nice and old-school. I see the landline plugs into the modem under the fibre setup, so my one does depend on the electrickery.

I run the electricity off the gas and the gas off the electricity. It saves around 200 a year on insulation

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Vita nova wrote: »
    Also, you won't get the same feels making a call from your mobile or PC as from this beauty:

sr1v4zdu49221.jpg
    Telecom Eireann used to sell (& rent) these as one of their standard sets.

Wicklow looks too far south on that map. I couldn’t look at that all day!

In 4 years we have received on call on the landline - from Sky who provide the landline!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Gretas Gonna Get Ya!

I once befriended a lonely badger...

It did NOT have a landline! The End. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,884 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Locked keys in my van yesterday along with mobile and went to my parents house to use their phone (landline). I actually had to stop for a split second before i lifted it, to remember what to do. It was also a strange feeling just standing there talking and to thew person on the other end and being unable to walk around. Horrendous experience all told. :)

Locked keys in my van yesterday along with mobile and went to my parents house to use their phone (landline). I actually had to stop for a split second before i lifted it, to remember what to do. It was also a strange feeling just standing there talking and to thew person on the other end and being unable to walk around. Horrendous experience all told. :)

I know - I gave my mother a quick call on the thing the day it was installed, I felt like some sort of wild animal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

I still have a landline - costs about €5 per month on a broadband package and I can talk all day and night on it, to other landlines, for that cost. Worth it for family member chats. It has also proven to be more reliable than mobile networks.

I also have a 1970's rotary dial phone, using break loop dialing, and I am amazed that it still works on modern exchanges - I thought they would have all been changed over to DTMF only. I took it to a group of teenagers recently, hooked it up to a phone line and asked them to make a call. Out of a group of twelve, none could do it. Some didn't know to lift the receiver, some didn't know what the dial tone was and none knew how to rotate the dial. Some said that they vaguely remembered their grandparents having a phone like it.

How times have changed... it made me feel very old(er).

• Advertisement

I know - I gave my mother a quick call on the thing the day it was installed, I felt like some sort of wild animal.

A wild animal like a badger, by any chance? :)

A wild animal like a badger, by any chance? :)

What are you talking about, what is with the badger??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,064 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

xabi wrote: »

Same here. I wonder are we brothers?

What are you talking about, what is with the badger??

Back off Jimmy...

Badgers are superior to geese, everyone knows that! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

I think the phone might still work in a power cut though. I once powered my router off a battery during a power cut and still had broadband and phone - the telephone network infrastructure was still running off it's own exchange based supply.

My broadband is supplied over a Fibre to Cabinet line with the final house connection being a copper pair - total fibre to the home probably requires mains power to transform the phone line back to electrical signals. My part of first world twenty first century Ireland hasn't got that option yet, even though we are less than an hour from Dublin and practically in the hard shoulder of the N11.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Tig98

Can't bayt a good ole corded landline in a power cut

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

xabi wrote: »

Have one here and my mother was the only one who ever called on it, she passed away two years ago, and it hasn’t rang since, not once... :(

my son pretended it was his mobile for a while and used to carry it around the house or pretend to his friends he was taking urgent calls on it, ‘yes, yes I will play dinosaurs at twelvety o clock’ ..... other than that, I’ve no idea why I still have it, think it’s practically free with the broadband, must look into it

Do you remember the phone money box, put 20p in the box when making a call, my mother tried to do the when we see young, but sure we were always robbing it ...

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭og2k7

Used to have it as was required to have UPC/NTL/Virgin setup. Realized recently it wasn't required anymore so got rid of it. Haven't touched it in 4 years

It might be soon the case with traditional SMS. Since WFH we have even replaced traditional calls with WhatsApp calls as they are better quality in general

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Elwood_Blues

Edgware wrote: »
    I run the electricity off the gas and the gas off the electricity. It saves around 200 a year on insulation

What's your favorite humming noise? Would it be mmm-mmmmm or would it be mmmm-mm? The first one there, now that’s the sound of a fridge humming and the second one, now that’s the sound of a man humming. You never hear a woman humming. I knew a woman once, but she died soon afterwards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,576 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Marcusm wrote: »
    Wicklow looks too far south on that map. I couldn’t look at that all day!

In 4 years we have received on call on the landline - from Sky who provide the landline!

Thats Arklows location

Advertisement