Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you think nurses will get their payrise?

• 08-01-2019 9:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭hawkelady

As the title suggests ... do you think the government will give what the inmo is asking for ? The way pascal and Harris is talking it looks like it’s going to be a long drawn out process. Who will buckle first. Btw, I do hope the nurses get what they want and they do a great job.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

I think they are paid reasonably well as it is. There is a pay agreement in place at the moment anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,606 ✭✭✭gctest50

Deserve a shotgun blast in the face if someone dies over this

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 28 welltodo

hawkelady wrote: »
    As the title suggests ... do you think the government will give what the inmo is asking for ? The way pascal and Harris is talking it looks like it’s going to be a long drawn out process. Who will buckle first. Btw, I do hope the nurses get what they want and they do a great job.

hopefully

but the way varadker is i'd say he'll cut their pay so they have to go to australia and then he'll bring in his own kind

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

welltodo wrote: »
    hopefully

but the way varadker is i'd say he'll cut their pay so they have to go to australia and then he'll bring in his own kind

How much extra tax are you willing to pay for their rise?

hopefully

his own kind ? , people that get stuff done like ?

or was it just a bit of the racism from a 10 post wonder ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

They want more money yet they are giving out about conditions and worried about patients safety?

Which is it, surely they should want the extra money spent on recruitment if they are giving out about staff shortages?

More union greed, where will it end?

Another bankrupt country in a few years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ Samantha Icy Rubbish

he'll bring in his own kind

Male, Irish born, doctors?

Or is there a badly veiled racist comment in here? If so, man up and state it clearly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭Odelay

They have a 6% turnover of staff, not exactly a sign of serious staffing problems. I think this is being over hyped in the media.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Alrigghtythen

I think they are adequately paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

They will. When it's the PS vs the govt the PS always wins. They might not get all they are looking for, but they get more than they currently have.

I've several friends and relations working in the health service (and wider PS) and the common issue that's cited is part-time working. Since it was introduced in the PS is has made rostering in some areas very difficult. The health service seems to be the most impacted of all areas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,758 ✭✭✭enricoh

Odelay wrote: »
    They have a 6% turnover of staff, not exactly a sign of serious staffing problems. I think this is being over hyped in the media.

6%, if thats right its a non issue.
    The moneys better in dubai n we're supposed to match it. Eh, no.
    Was reading an article on a teacher the other day, aged 30 on 47k. With the airtime they get on rte u'd think they were on half that!

http://www.thejournal.ie/readme/money-spending-diary-ireland-2-4404095-Jan2019/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Nurses could demand 150 k per annum and most would support them, we adore nurses in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

Of course they will get it. The irony is that after getting it, if Leo calls an election in the Autumn they will be out again.

The budget plus income for the health service is €22bn, that’s €5k for every man, woman and child in the country. If nurses, by far the largest cohort in the health service are undermanned and under paid as claimed by their mouthpiece, where the fcuk is the money being spent?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

They should let them know the pay rates before they sign up to stop them becoming nurses and then not agreeing with the pay..........

• Registered Users Posts: 6,010 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

They want more money yet they are giving out about conditions and worried about patients safety?

Which is it, surely they should want the extra money spent on recruitment if they are giving out about staff shortages?

More union greed, where will it end?

Another bankrupt country in a few years.

Someday you might like to have nurses who are well paid and stress free if you are sick in hospital.I'm sure you would like to have the best possible care if you ever become a patient in a hospital ward.
    The point they are making is under the current pay and working conditions it is extremely hard to recruit new graduates into the HSE,leaving all hospitals short staffed and creating stress and danger to existing staff and also to patients.Extra beds are needed in every hospital in the country,that means more staff.Then there is the appalling situation of the HSE spending millions on agency staff every year.I could go on.

The Aras Attracta ones are suspended on full pay - how did they get away with that ?

They went very quiet about that

The HSE are spending € 43,000,000 on moving people out of places like aras attracta

€ 43,000,000 ? that's a lot of moving

How many more Bungalow 3's were there ?

Batter an elderly non-verbal autistic woman and get early retirement on full wages !

What a country !

MfnKcNm.jpg

4fMxi2j.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Someday you might like to have nurses who are well paid and stress free if you are sick in hospital.I'm sure you would like to have the best possible care if you ever become a patient in a hospital ward.
    The point they are making is under the current pay and working conditions it is extremely hard to recruit new graduates into the HSE,leaving all hospitals short staffed and creating stress and danger to existing staff and also to patients.Extra beds are needed in every hospital in the country,that means more staff.Then there is the appalling situation of the HSE spending millions on agency staff every year.I could go on.

Why are they looking for more money so?

Do you think throwing money at them will make them work harder?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

No, because next we'll have the teachers, then the doctors, then the consultants, then the revenue staff, then the ESB, etc etc. Before you know it we'll have benchmarking mark 2.

The public and civil service already earns far more than the private sector, and we pay enough tax as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Who are you to decide they're adequately paid??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Odelay wrote: »

If you have a union spinning a story for long enough, some people start to believe it unfortunately.

What's the standard working week for a nurse I hear you ask ?

• Advertisement

He's a tax payer

If you have a union spinning a story for long enough, some people start to believe it unfortunately.

What's the standard working week for a nurse I hear you ask ?

37 hours, average salary is 55k per annum not including overtime

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭touts

There is a good chance the Brexit Recession will make the banking collapse look like a small economic correction. If that happens public service pay cuts will be the order of the day not pay rises.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,758 ✭✭✭enricoh

A 6% turnover in staff tells me more than an ingrid miley union love in exclusive!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

People are allowed have opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Unions have ruined this country. They used to serve a very necessary purpose, but these days its just constant calling of strikes in order to get paid more and more.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Bellerstring

They are fantastic, are angels, do an unbelievable job and are nowhere near paid enough

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭wat24

The average salary really are averages due to the high earners who are usually in management. I’m 6 years qualified and on 36,000. Most of the nurses working with me are on around the same. There’s far too many bed managers and nurse managers working admin roles that aren’t hands on frontline care. That’s where the money is going

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭thee glitz

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    37 hours, average salary is 55k per annum not including overtime

Can you give a source please?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,010 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Why are they looking for more money so?

Do you think throwing money at them will make them work harder?

They cannot work any harder as the are stretched to the limits everyday.Unfortunately there is a lot of ignorance and lack of understanding by people of how difficult it can be for nurses and other medical professionals working in our hospitals at present.A great example of that was shown by our Taoiseach recently when he made his stupid statement about Christmas being the peak time in Hospitals and therefore no staff should be allowed annual leave at that time.Its peak time at all times of year in our hospitals.

Advertisement