Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bogus Lithuanian Clothing Charity Collectors

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭CaSCaDe711

Would be great if the newspapers could run an article every now and then, reminding everyone there are no charities on the receiving end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

They cause so much rubbish from paper flyers to clothes left all over. They really should be banned. They collect them in charity shops and recycling centers thats enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

There doesn't seem to be as many as before. About a year ago I was getting a leaflet a day through the door, now it's down to about once a week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭booboo88

campers wrote: »
    In Limerick, I get several of those stickers from bogus "charities" each week...

Who are they fooling anyway:
    • No registered charity number
    • Phoney company registration number (...of no relevance for a charity anyway)
    • Only a mobile number
    • Collection day is PREPRINTED on the stickers... so either they have 7 different rolls of stickers, or they employ Santa Claus to cover every house in a single day

....getting sick of them now.... them and junk mail and free "newspapers".
    or the bad spelling is quite funny, as in, underwear spelt underware :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 988 ✭✭✭IsThatSo?

Get several of these a week usually, though they have slowed down recently. We bin the stickers and keep the plastic bags and recycle them. Never once had anyone coming back looking for a bag.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

might be worth writing to Minister Burton asking for some sort of awareness campaign on this.
    Even a full page ad in a couple of papers would get out to a huge amount of people, and in turn benefit charities like SVDP

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

IsThatSo? wrote: »
    Get several of these a week usually, though they have slowed down recently. We bin the stickers and keep the plastic bags and recycle them. Never once had anyone coming back looking for a bag.

I noticed they stopped giving the bags

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

I passed a sign on a shop the other day saying "we pay cash for your old clothes"- can't remember where I saw it....but no doubt there's a number of such places around....there was a TV programme on some months ago, and they stated the per tonne price of old clothes that are shipped abroad....it was quite significant so no wonder there are organised gangs into this business...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Hobbitfeet

Very annoying everyday we get these clothes collection labels in our door from "charitys" clearly not charitys no reg no on them is there somewhere you can report them?Will anything be done if I do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭LittleBook

CaSCaDe711 wrote: »
    they'll deliver no matter what you have stuck on your door. As long as people supply them with bags of clothes, they'll regularly deliver their stickers.
    Bob Z wrote: »
    I noticed they stopped giving the bags

Quick question ... do they actually put the leaflet through the letterbox? Or do they leave it half in/half out if you know what I mean?

At my house it's always a brightly coloured leaflet, half-way in the letterbox. Anyone walking by can see it and the person who put it there would know a couple of days later that if it hadn't been pulled through, the house is empty.

They know they're hated, they post through "No Junk Mail" signs and react quite aggressively when challenged ... I just have a feeling this is less to do with clothes than it is to do with a casing the joint type of scenario ... although maybe Conspiracy Theories is the place for this. :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭CaSCaDe711

Yes, through the letterbox, Most mornings there'll be a new glossy colour label on the floor of the porch. Have also seen one placed in the handle of the front gate, he/she must have been in a hurry that morning :D

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Kev.

What I cant understand is why they do it so early in the morning,

I woke for work at 5 o clock the other morning and there was one in the door

Surely they are up to something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Kev. wrote: »

Surely they are up to something?

Early bird gets the worm?

There are more than one crowd at it and I doubt there's much integrity between them so the earlier they're up, the earlier they can get any bag that's been left out, even if it's not theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Kev. wrote: »

15 years ago, I used to deliver leaflets (usually a 1p a leaflet), for random marketing companies. I "only" had 800-1600 houses to deliver to, so it only took a few hours. I'd say if someone had to cover a larger area, they'd start earlier, and finish later. I'd do the leaflet drop on my day off work, and I'd say they'd do the same thing, and thus why they don't spread it out to two or three days.

They stopped giving free bags, as people were using the bags for rubbish, so they lost money giving out free bags.

As the waste (clothes) is non-hazardous, I don't think they need any sort of certificate to collect it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,292 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

the_syco wrote: »
    They stopped giving free bags, as people were using the bags for rubbish, so they lost money giving out free bags.

Or because as people got wise to the scam they just threw the leaflet and the bag in the bin.

When they distributed bags the leaflet asked that if you had no clothes to donate to just leave the empty bag on the doorstep. Obviously I wasn't the only person who got so sick of the racket that I wouldn't even give them back the bag so I tossed it in the bin.

coylemj wrote: »
    Or because as people got wise to the scam they just threw the leaflet and the bag in the bin.

When they distributed bags the leaflet asked that if you had no clothes to donate to just leave the empty bag on the doorstep. Obviously I wasn't the only person who got so sick of the racket that I wouldn't even give them back the bag so I tossed it in the bin.

you threw a perfectly good bag in the bin? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,760 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

I got one of these annoying leaflets in my letterbox yesterday, I'm thinking of sticking it to a bag of grass clippings and leaving it out for collection. Has anyone else ever done this? i.e. do they check what's inside before taking it?

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭scarlet_mandy

Aglomerado wrote: »
    I got one of these annoying leaflets in my letterbox yesterday, I'm thinking of sticking it to a bag of grass clippings and leaving it out for collection. Has anyone else ever done this? i.e. do they check what's inside before taking it?

Oooh let me know if this works! We always fill our brown bin in week one so are constantly on a backlog of cut grass, this could be the answer..... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Aglomerado wrote: »

I wouldn't advise this, especially if you're going to leave it on your doorstep.
    The 'people' who operate these scams are usually very, very dangerous and I wouldn't want to piss them off. Inform the Gardai and council and chuck the bag in the bin.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,760 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

That did occur to me all right, after all they do know where I live!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 AubreyMartin

Just got this in the door this morning.
    donotdelay-clothing.jpg

Sure smells like a SCAM to me!
    There is a lot of info about them here too...
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=418179
    Just be careful who you give your old clothes to!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Zombie thread - closed

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 11 AubreyMartin

I just received this Sticker in the door this morning in Navan!
    donotdelay-clothing.jpg

Did a bit of digging and yes they are certainly scammers!
    You can see more about them here and their UK business here!
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=418179

They are not even a registered charity in Ireland or the UK!
    Just bring your used clothes to one of the Charity Shops or give them to the good known collectors like Barnardos, Vincents or Oxfam!
    Its a sad world when people will make money out of the poor!

99% of sticker-only ones are scams.
    they used to provide the bag, but obviously too many people were just keeping the bag for it to be profitable for them.
    the legit ones, Barnardos and a couple of others with always provide a bag.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement