Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

All Ireland Hurling 2019 (Tiers 2-5)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

CHRISTY RING CUP Semi-Finals Down v Roscommon Meath v Derry Relegation Play-off Donegal v London NICKY RACKARD CUP Semi-Finals Armagh v Tyrone Sligo v Warwickshire Relegation Play-off Monaghan v Louth

Jesus it's a ****er not to make the semis after beating them today.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 22 mdk_kdm

I recall a few years ago tier two teams being ****ed over with several format changes all designed to protect and insolate the "traditional" hurling teams. Proof of the pudding is showing this season. Many said Offaly (or any other special status county) shouldn't have to play in tier two hurling, it was below them. Wouldn't do them any good. They'd steam roll all competition. Well isn't this a turn up for the books!

The attendance in Tullamore today says all anyone needs to know about where Offaly hurling is and where it's going.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,399 ✭✭✭✭cson

Just had a look to see what their last win against Tier 1 opposition was; had to go all the way back to 2010 when they took Limerick's scalp in the qualifiers. Those two teams couldn't have gone on more different paths in the 8 years since.

Next best was 2011 when they ran Cork to a point in the qualifiers. Everything after that they've been bet out the gate.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,550 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

cson wrote: »
    Just had a look to see what their last win against Tier 1 opposition was; had to go all the way back to 2010 when they took Limerick's scalp in the qualifiers. Those two teams couldn't have gone on more different paths in the 8 years since.

Next best was 2011 when they ran Cork to a point in the qualifiers. Everything after that they've been bet out the gate.

Unless you want to shoehorn 2012 Wexford into tier 1.

Too reliant on Shane Dooley for too long and now his impact is on the wane.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

The attendance in Tullamore today says all anyone needs to know about where Offaly hurling is and where it's going.

How many?

boggerman1 wrote: »
    Offaly beaten again.who they going to blame now

I wouldn't take any pleasure in Offaly's hurling woes unless they were indicative of progress by Laois, Westmeath, Antrim and Kerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭sc86

waiting to see how the gaa keep offaly out of christy ring , what rule change they can swing mid season

much like decide to promote antrim + carlow one year from christy ring - and force antrim v meath to replay the year before

sc86 wrote: »
    waiting to see how the gaa keep offaly out of christy ring , what rule change they can swing mid season

much like decide to promote antrim + carlow one year from christy ring - and force antrim v meath to replay the year before

I totally agree that movingvthe goalposts is wrong. The stunt you will probably see is Joe McDonagh increased to six teams, which, leaving aside the skulduggery involved, should probably have been the case in the first instance.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

Really enjoyable game to watch that was today. Great to be able to watch it on gaa now. Better late than never in showing some of these games.

Often very close high scoring encounters like today. Sad to see Offaly in such trouble now, but if they do happen to be relegated there should be no changes to any system. Let them down and if they are good enough next year will win the Christy Ring. 2 of Down/Derry or Meath will be there and they are no pushovers.

Well done to Antrim, good to see them improving on a poor league and Joe McDonagh last year. A few interesting games left in this to enjoy at both ends of the table.

• Advertisement

Offaly conceding massive scores. Better than the last few weeks today but not good enough.

The first 20 years of my life, there were only 4 Leinster finals Offaly didn't contest. Minor AI in 89. The magic of 94, going close in 95 and then winning again in 98.

I never imagined we'd fall so far. Lost for words.

In the first 20 years of my life Offaly never got to a Leinster final, or even a semi-final as far as I know. Offaly punched away above their weight 1980-2000, and what they achieved was utterly unprecedented by a county with about seven senior clubs. It was never going to last.
    In the early 1960s the GAA set up a commission to report on hurling development in the weaker counties. They classed nine counties as strong and seven more as intermediate. The remainder were dubbed "the great wasteland" by the late Paddy Downey. The seven intermediate counties were Offaly, Laois, Westmeath, Carlow, Meath, Antrim and Kerry. I use the term intermediate because I can't remember the exact term. Of the remainder four were consistently stronger than the others, namely Kildare, Down, Roscommon and Wicklow.
    People decrying Offaly's fall don't seem to fully realise that where they are now is near to their traditional and natural state, perhaps a little worse. They did well in the 1920s appearing in three Leinster finals and winning a few All-Ireland junior titles when that was a strong competition. Up to then they had played just one Leinster final. They then fell away for about 30 years, consistently overshadowed by Westmeath and Laois in particular. Laois were always able to master them. And they struggled to beat Kerry and Antrim.
    The first time they attracted notice was in the mid sixties. Michael O'Hehir waxed lyrical about their performance in beating Kerry in the 1966 division two NHL final. In 1969 they shocked all of Ireland by dethroning All-Ireland champions Wexford and losing by two points to Kilkenny in the Leinster final. They moved onwards and upwards from there, with a few minor hiccups in the seventies until they eventually triumphed. But the 20 years of glory were the blip, not the present time.
    Will Offaly ever return to glory? I think they will definitely return to dominating the Antrims and the Kerrys, but win Liam McCarthy? Not in my lifetime, maybe in yours but I doubt it. Offaly have little to sustain them now other than the tradition which they created in the good times. At the best of times such a county might produce a good crop once in 40 years., and then they must be handled properly and in addition must be lucky. Add to that the way in which the game has become almost professional with military style boot camp training, and the dominance of commerce.I fear not just for the Offalys but for the very inter-county traditional structure.
    Other counties came close to breaking through, Kildare in the 70s, Westmeath in the 80s, Antrim 1985-1995. Difficult to see it happening now.
    Laois could be said to have suffered a similar fate to Offaly. The NHL began in 1926 with seven counties, including Laois but excluding Clare and Waterford. Laois were serious contenders until about 1960, though not as consistent or as successful as Offaly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Nic_Col

I'd thank that a second time if I could feargale.

I always felt the narrative of "Isn't it awful to see how far Offaly have fallen?" does a great disservice to what they actually achieved in the 80's and 90's. Given their playing population and number of clubs what they achieved was phenomenal.

That narrative also does a disservice to the teams who have deservedly beaten them in the McDonagh cup this year, they don't deserve to be spoken in terms of being teams that should definitely be being beaten by Offaly and that something must be terribly wrong when the likes of Laois, Westmeath and Antrim are beating Offaly.

I'd love to see them rise again but there's no fool proof way to achieve that, if there was then all counties would do it.

Dublin are 5th in the hurling roll of honour and they haven't won a title since before the second world war. They won a Leinster title in 1961 and vanished as a hurling power for half a century until they won a league and a Leinster under Anthony Daly earlier this decade. They were basically McDonagh cup standard for 5 decades and their return to the top table in the last decade was largely helped by major investment from the GAA in the 00's.

Given how long it took to get Dublin back to the top table (and not quite yet All Ireland winning standard) despite their population and club numbers, and just given the general overall demographics in terms of the number of hurling clubs within every county (I'd hazard a guess that the majority of counties have less than a dozen hurling clubs) then to be honest I'm not sure if we'll see a new county break into the top tier and remain there in our lifetimes. And unfortunately I include Offaly in that, their 80's and 90's success was once in a lifetime stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

feargale wrote: »
    In the first 20 years of my life Offaly never got to a Leinster final, or even a semi-final as far as I know. Offaly punched away above their weight 1980-2000, and what they achieved was utterly unprecedented by a county with about seven senior clubs. It was never going to last.
    In the early 1960s the GAA set up a commission to report on hurling development in the weaker counties. They classed nine counties as strong and seven more as intermediate. The remainder were dubbed "the great wasteland" by the late Paddy Downey. The seven intermediate counties were Offaly, Laois, Westmeath, Carlow, Meath, Antrim and Kerry. I use the term intermediate because I can't remember the exact term. Of the remainder four were consistently stronger than the others, namely Kildare, Down, Roscommon and Wicklow.
    People decrying Offaly's fall don't seem to fully realise that where they are now is near to their traditional and natural state, perhaps a little worse. They did well in the 1920s appearing in three Leinster finals and winning a few All-Ireland junior titles when that was a strong competition. Up to then they had played just one Leinster final. They then fell away for about 30 years, consistently overshadowed by Westmeath and Laois in particular. Laois were always able to master them. And they struggled to beat Kerry and Antrim.
    The first time they attracted notice was in the mid sixties. Michael O'Hehir waxed lyrical about their performance in beating Kerry in the 1966 division two NHL final. In 1969 they shocked all of Ireland by dethroning All-Ireland champions Wexford and losing by two points to Kilkenny in the Leinster final. They moved onwards and upwards from there, with a few minor hiccups in the seventies until they eventually triumphed. But the 20 years of glory were the blip, not the present time.
    Will Offaly ever return to glory? I think they will definitely return to dominating the Antrims and the Kerrys, but win Liam McCarthy? Not in my lifetime, maybe in yours but I doubt it. Offaly have little to sustain them now other than the tradition which they created in the good times. At the best of times such a county might produce a good crop once in 40 years., and then they must be handled properly and in addition must be lucky. Add to that the way in which the game has become almost professional with military style boot camp training, and the dominance of commerce.I fear not just for the Offalys but for the very inter-county traditional structure.
    Other counties came close to breaking through, Kildare in the 70s, Westmeath in the 80s, Antrim 1985-1995. Difficult to see it happening now.
    Laois could be said to have suffered a similar fate to Offaly. The NHL began in 1926 with seven counties, including Laois but excluding Clare and Waterford. Laois were serious contenders until about 1960, though not as consistent or as successful as Offaly.

Noteworthy that the seven intermediate counties are the same ones who have dominated the All-Ireland B, Christy Ring and Joe McDonagh competitions.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,717 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Can us in Waterford play in the Mcdonagh next season ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 22 mdk_kdm

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Can us in Waterford play in the Mcdonagh next season ?

Hope that Kerry win it this season, then you can lose to them in the playoff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭tipp_tipp_tipp

Antrim Westmeath streaming on GAA now

https://www.gaa.ie/gaa-now/

• Registered Users Posts: 17,652 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Disappointed with Antrim, they've been poor so far. 3 points from play in 37 minutes. First touch isn't good. You'd have to wonder how poor Offaly are. Not sure what the game plan is but it's not working so far.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Antrim Westmeath streaming on GAA now

https://www.gaa.ie/gaa-now/

Unfortunately, the Kerry v Laois stream hasn't launched even now, 25 minutes into the game - just saying "Live stream about to start" !

Unfortunately, the Kerry v Laois stream hasn't launched even now, 25 minutes into the game - just saying "Live stream about to start" !

I'm getting audio only, Laois well on top.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Laois qualify for the final, Westmeath still need a draw, given the H2H result against Kerry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭techdiver

Laois qualify for the final, Westmeath still need a draw, given the H2H result against Kerry.

Don't think so. If Kerry beat Offaly and Westmeath lose to Laois you will have 3 teams on 4 points all who have beaten each other (Kerry beat Westmeath, Westmeath beat Antrim and Antrim beat Kerry), so it'll go to points difference and barring a strange result it should be Westmeath to go through.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭sc86

Anybody know why christy ring is second game on next sat and not 3rd as normal ?
    nicky rackard final is last this year

Are they all on tg4 ?

Things sound in good shape in Offaly. But then again, it's the structure that's failed them.

https://twitter.com/ShaneSaint/status/1139811807592423424

Things sound in good shape in Offaly. But then again, it's the structure that's failed them.

https://twitter.com/ShaneSaint/status/1139811807592423424

Wow that's bad form, I'd imagine the players aren't impressed then again surely they'll have enough to beat Kerry.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Is it possible to watch a stream of Joe McDonagh today? I'm reading complaints about it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

Kerry Offaly game working fine for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭kksaints

Offaly down to Christy Ring after losing to Kerry.

doylefe wrote: »
    Kerry Offaly game working fine for me.

Thanks. I got the second half.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Delighted that we managed to stay up after what was an up and down year for us, but we kept our Joe McDonagh status and that is a great achievement in itself

Thought the commentator on the stream was a bit surprised that we beat Offaly, sure we beat them in the league up in Birr a few years back so its no surprise

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Blinky Plebum

I wish people(media mainly) would stop saying this was the biggest game in Offaly's history.

It wasn't even close to that, relegation is nowhere near as important as winning big championship matches.

We spent most of our history in the doldrums so those Leinster and all ireland wins are much much bigger than being sent into a slightly worse version of the doldrums.

Advertisement