Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Your daily forecasts from Boards.ie weather forum (NO CHAT)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,268 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Sunday, 14 June, 2009

TODAY will start out showery in eastern Ireland (added at 0645, some of this rain could become heavy and thundery over Wexford and Wicklow), and hazy but dry further west. Later in the day, the eastern showers will give way to hazy sunshine and warm conditions, while more showers and thundershowers move into the west (from about 0800 in Galway). These will eventually move across the country by evening to give a second round of rainfall in the east. Highs will be about 21 C inland, and 16 C near the west coast, and in most of Donegal and Ulster.

TONIGHT will continue mostly cloudy, with more showers, and mist or fog becoming widespread. It will be warm and close, with lows of about 12 to 14 C for most places.

MONDAY looks very unsettled with frequent showers and the risk of a heavier thunderstorm. Highs will be about 18 C although closer to 14 C in some northern parts.

TUESDAY should see some longer sunny intervals and it will remain rather warm (the Monday low has no cooler air mass following it) and still rather humid, with highs of about 19-21 C, following a morning low of about 11 C.

WEDNESDAY and THURSDAY look partly cloudy with showers and moderate westerly breezes, highs of about 20 or 21 C.

FRIDAY may bring somewhat drier conditions with a slight drop in temperature and humidity, highs near 18 C.

So far, it does appear that the forecast of a warmer summer is holding true, although perhaps the bar was set pretty low by 2007 and 2008.

Monday, 15 June, 2009

Alert for heavy, locally flooding rainfall 25-50 mms (1-2 inches) and local hail most likely in eastern Ireland this morning and then across southern districts mid-day in a second wave of showers

TODAY will bring some heavy, thundery showers that may produce flooding rainfalls and hail at times. The heaviest cluster at present is around Laois to Waterford, moving towards the southeast and Dublin later this morning. Although it could clear briefly behind this activity, more will develop and the southwest to south central districts may get hail at times by mid-day. The northern half of the country will also have some scattered heavy showers but rainfall amounts should be generally less. There could also be some longer sunny intervals in Mayo, Sligo and Donegal. Highs today will generally be close to 18 C.

TONIGHT will see the showers ending, to be followed by partly cloudy skies and widespread mist or fog especially where rainfalls earlier prove to be heavy, lows will be 9 to 11 C.

TUESDAY should produce some sunshine especially late morning and mid-day, then increasing cloud, with periods of rain possible by evening. Highs will be 19 to 21 C, except 14-16 C in the northwest coastal districts.

WEDNESDAY will be breezy and rather warm with continued showers, a few thundershowers, but also sunny intervals, lows near 12 C and highs near 20 C.

THURSDAY will be a bit cooler, otherwise similar, partly cloudy, breezy with more showers, heavy in some western districts at times. Lows of about 9 C will be followed by highs near 17 C.

FRIDAY should see some improvements to partly sunny conditions, and highs of about 18 C.

NEXT WEEKEND is looking quite warm, a little unsettled but showers in the west and north mainly, and highs of about 20 to 22 C inland.

I will try to update the severe weather potential from time to time, but if any of the regular weather crew happen to look in and think we need an update as the storms develop, please post one ... thanks.

Tuesday, 16 June, 2009

The unsettled weather (which was mainly in the south) is long gone now, and a weak ridge of high pressure will bring fair weather and, away from the cooling influence of the 14 C sea waters, quite warm today ... I reviewed the latest model runs, and the official forecasts, and didn't find much that I wanted to change from yesterday's forecasts starting with today; I just added some details:

TODAY should produce some sunshine especially by later this morning and mid-day, then increasing cloud, with periods of rain possible by evening. Highs will be 19 to 21 C, except 14-16 C in the northwest coastal districts. Winds will pick up to southerly 20-30 knots over south coast waters and the southwest (40 knots in a few very open stretches) but for most people on land, 10-20 mph will be about the strongest winds later on after quite a calm morning. Any fog will tend to linger to about 0900 in some valleys.

TONIGHT will be mild with a steady rainfall of 10-20 mms in almost all parts of Ireland. This should gradually end in the west before sunrise, but will be continuing into the morning in the east.

WEDNESDAY will be breezy and rather warm with continued showers, a few thundershowers, but also sunny intervals developing, lows near 12 C and highs near 20 C, as winds swing around to WSW 20-35 knots over the west coast and south coast, but 15-25 mph over land.

THURSDAY will be a bit cooler, otherwise similar, partly cloudy, breezy from about due west, with more showers, heavy in some western districts at times. Lows of about 7-9 C will be followed by highs near 17 C.

FRIDAY should see some improvements to partly sunny conditions, lows near 7 C, and highs of about 18 C.

NEXT WEEKEND is looking quite warm, a little unsettled for some, but showers in the west and north mainly, and highs of about 20 to 22 C inland, possibly touching 24 if the sunshine is strong enough.

Wednesday, 17 June, 2009

Alert issued for locally heavy and flooding rainfalls across the southern two-thirds of Ireland, ending soon in the west but lasting to mid-day in some eastern sections. Amounts of 30-50 mms could produce some flooding.

TODAY will bring periods of heavy rain moving rather slowly across the country this morning, ending about 0900 in the southwest and up the west coast, but persisting to about 1100-1200 or so in the east. This rain is coming down hard enough to suggest 30-50 mms could fall in some places and lead to some flooding problems. There could be some thunder with it at times especially as it reaches the southeast. Once this moves through, a rapid improvement can be expected on strong SW breezes, some sunny intervals, quite warm near 20-21 C away from the west coast (15 C there), and just a few isolated showers re-developing later on mainly in areas like Mayo and Donegal.

TONIGHT will be generally dry and partly cloudy with a strong SW breeze although trending towards gale force westerly winds around Belmullet and the northwest coast. There could be an isolated shower, and lows will reach about 11 C in most places, 8 C in a few inland portions of the northwest.

THURSDAY will also be quite breezy to windy in the north, from a westerly direction, with passing showers, one or two thundery with hail, mainly over the western and northern parts of Ireland, and a bit cooler than recent days with highs of 15-17 C.

FRIDAY will start out rather cloudy and progress to partly sunny conditions in a strong westerly breeze (NW at times in the morning), and if there are any showers early on, these should be light and quite brief (Ulster would be the most likely place for these). Lows of about 6-9 C will be followed by highs of about 15-17 C.

THE WEEKEND is looking quite fine from this distance out, there is a slight risk of showers in the far north but even there, the chances of dry weather are higher, and it could be sunny most of the time both days in the south and even the central parts of Ireland. Highs will be around 21 or 22 C inland and could even reach 24 C on Sunday.

And next week also looks quite good with a warm southeast wind returning like the beginning of June, although perhaps not that hot, and mainly dry weather indicated for several days.

UPDATE _ 6:30 pm on 17 June

Looks to be ideal for rainbows to form in the skies over Galway, Mayo and some other parts of western Ireland this evening, as "splash and dash" showers come and go in partly cloudy skies. For most other areas, a relatively dry if breezy evening ahead. You could see five minutes of light rain from one passing shower, outside of the areas mentioned.

• Advertisement

Thursday, 18 June, 2009

TODAY will start out mostly cloudy with the best chance for brief sunny intervals in the southeast and in Donegal, as most of the country in between will be under a slow-moving band of cloud that is dropping light rain here and there, nothing very substantial, 2-3 mms at most. Some of these showers could become heavier by mid-day, but meanwhile another batch of thundery showers will be moving into western districts from the Atlantic. By mid-day and afternoon it will be quite breezy (windy in fact for Connacht) and highs will reach about 16 or 17 C. Winds for most districts will be in the range of 20-30 mph but the northwest coast could see gusts to 40 knots or almost 50 mph, all of these from about due west. Winds will be veering slowly from WSW to WNW for those venturing out onto the water today.

TONIGHT will continue quite breezy or even windy with more showers or local drizzle from hill fog, as low cloud will tend to dominate. Lows will be about 6 to 8 C, and winds will be around towards NW at 25-40 mph. Some east coast locations could have some clear intervals though.

FRIDAY will be a slowly improving day, as the low cloud and strong winds move away towards Scotland and northern England during the morning, to leave a mixture of cloud and sunshine, and less gusty winds from a more westerly direction again, with highs of about 17 C.

SATURDAY should be fine, as long as any west coast fog or low cloud stays near the coast or out over the near Atlantic, if not, some of the western third of the country could have a rather cloudy morning, but sunshine should begin to break through there eventually, and the rest of the country is likely to be at least partly sunny, with warming temperatures, after a rather cool overnight low of 5-8 C ... highs could be close to 21 C or even a touch higher away from the sea breeze zone (15-17 C there). Winds may still be a little breezy in Donegal and other parts of the north, from the SW, but further south it will be rather calm.

SUNDAY looks even better, as high pressure builds over the British Isles from the Azores. Highs will be 22-24 C inland, and near 18 C in most coastal locations, with hazy sunshine for most. There could be more cloud further north at times, from sea fog blowing inland.

NEXT WEEK still looks quite warm and mainly dry, although some research of mine tells me that around Tuesday there could be a bit of an active trough developing in the warm air, leading to isolated storms. Other than that, it should generally be a case of light winds to start, and very warm southeast winds with the usual cooler sea breeze zones later in the week, as highs may stay in the lower to mid 20s. There are even indications of hot weather to follow by about the next weekend.

Friday, 19 June, 2009

TODAY will feature some longer sunny intervals in eastern and southern districts, but there will still be a rather cloudy flow coming into western and northern districts most of the day, with passing showers. The morning will be quite breezy especially in the north, expect winds to be WNW 20-30 mph on land and 30-40 knots on the open Atlantic, then it should ease to W 15-25 later on. Highs today should be about 15 to 17 C.

TONIGHT will have some longer clear intervals with another area of low cloud and drizzle moving into the northwest after midnight. Lows will be around 6 or 7 C in many parts, closer to 10 C near the west and south coasts.

SATURDAY could be quite a mixed bag, in the northwest and possibly further south there will be extensive morning low cloud and drizzle before any clearing sets in. Further south, the sun may break through more frequently and set up for a sunny afternoon, but at the same time, south coast locations could remain foggy. Highs will range from about 14 C in the northwest to 19 or 20 C in the southeast.

SUNDAY looks more likely to produce a fine day of sunshine and warm temperatures. There is some risk of low cloud or fog near some coasts due to light sea-breeze conditions, but anywhere else inland should be sunny and warm with highs of about 22 C.

NEXT WEEK should be generally warm and dry with highs in the range of 22 to 25 C inland, near 18 C in coastal locations.

I may post an update if the uncertainties around Saturday's forecast seems to be reducing. And feel free to add your own thoughts at any time, as I was hoping this would be a community effort.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭darc

Friday, 19 June, 2009

And feel free to add your own thoughts at any time, as I was hoping this would be a community effort.

Very hard to add anything (not that I have any great knowledge) to a very good and fairly precise forecast. Hoever with an average of 130 page views per day you can be sure its appreciated by many.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭paulhac

Thanls again M.T.Yesterday you were saying there was a chance of an unstable area on Tuesday which might produce a storm .Is this chance gone for now

cheers
    Paul

darc wrote: »
    Very hard to add anything (not that I have any great knowledge) to a very good and fairly precise forecast. Hoever with an average of 130 page views per day you can be sure its appreciated by many.
    Indeed Ill second that!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Welsh Wizard

darc wrote: »

I'll echo this....

I find myself using this more than any other weather website..

Thanks for your great work M.T...

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭dryan

This is the first page i look at ever morning.
    Now i have all my work mates checking it out too :). Very accurate forecast.
    I have used it for the last few weeks to carry out and plan all my farming activities. Worked a treat.

Now im off to cut the hay!!

Thanks, and by the way, Tuesday or thereabouts could still produce an isolated storm in a generally dry and warm pattern. Perhaps there will be better indications by Monday or so as to where and when. Something in my research says, basically, if any storms develop at this time, they can be heavy. But if there's no storm potential, then somebody else will get that where they have potential. That's where that stands.

Just also wanted to comment, I'm glad people are getting some use out of these forecasts and at this point, it's no doubt worth mentioning that the day will come (these things are inevitable) when readers are going to say, that MTC, he really blew the forecast for such and such etc, and so I just thought I would mention that before it actually happens, because you just know it will ... the main advantage we have here is that this forecast does not have to fit a prescribed format, length or even timing considerations, because I have to say this, the "official forecast" is often more or less the same but perhaps having a bit of extra space for details, this forecast here can be fleshed out and given some extra details. It hasn't been my experience that these are different forecasts as to the basic content, of course I am not hearing all the media forecasts that you have there, only reading what's on the met.ie website (and just to be bold, usually after I make a forecast here), but if they ever sound that way, it could be for that reason. And I do continue to hope that some of the other Weather forum crew will step in from time to time, for one thing, I may disappear for a couple of weeks in late July and early August, so I will try to arrange for continuity there. Also it's wise to have a few different views in some situations, anyone can get stuck on a wrong idea from time to time (a classic example, my decision to visit Ireland at this time of year in 1978). :D

Anyway, cheers, tomorrow still looks a bit iffy in the north but it may not be too bad a day at all in much of Ireland, just perhaps cloudy to start, as the high is going to build in rather gradually over the weekend. This weak frontal system that has forecasters concerned is sliding along at a latitude about equal to Donegal at the moment and not making too great a southward push as it comes nearer, so it's going to be a case of how much low cloud pushes inland with this, and how long it takes to break up during the day.

Saturday, 20 June, 2009

A decidedly tough forecast for this weekend, as warmer air tries to move into Ireland, but taking a route over the cool Atlantic as pressures slowly rise, seems like a recipe for widespread low cloud and drizzle in the west and north, fog along the south coast, but fairly good chances for sunshine nevertheless in central and eastern Ireland.

TODAY will likely start out quite dull and misty in most parts, brightening slowly in the east and some central districts to some pleasantly warm sunny intervals this afternoon, with highs of 18-21 C. However, the western third and also the northern third of the country will be prone to longer periods of low cloud, drizzle and hill fog, with highs closer to 15 or 16 C, and the south coast could be socked in by dense fog at times to about 5-10 miles inland.

TONIGHT will likely remain rather cloudy and misty with further outbreaks of drizzle or light rain affecting mainly the west and northwest. Lows will be about 9 to 12 C.

SUNDAY will be broadly similar to today only for the chance of longer sunny intervals and slightly warmer temperatures in most places, about 16-17 C in the cloudier west, and 20-22 C in the sunnier east, however, I should stress that I am an incurable optimist even for other peoples' weather, especially on weekends, so anywhere near a coastline it could be rather foggy for long intervals.

MONDAY looks warmer for most as the marine influence is restricted more to the south coast in a developing light SE wind, so that larger sections of Ireland should enjoy sunshine and highs above 22 C, but there is likely to be dense fog near the south coast drifting some distance inland at times, and this will be accompanied by temperatures closer to 15 C.

TUESDAY should be very warm with long sunny intervals, but isolated thundershowers most likely in the Midlands, and highs near 24 C inland, 18 C near the east and south coasts.

THE REST OF THE WEEK will remain quite warm and mostly dry with fairly strong sea breezes cooling the east and south coasts. Highs inland and in western districts should be into the 24-26 C range while the east coast is likely to remain closer to 18-20 C. This warm spell has no immediate end according to the latest model runs.

Have a pleasant weekend, and keep your fingers crossed for sunshine. :cool:

Sunday, 21 June, 2009

TODAY will start out rather cloudy with the best chances for morning sunshine in the west and south, as patchy light rain or drizzle moves slowly out of eastern and northern districts. By mid-day the sunshine or at least brighter conditions should spread into the east, but then low cloud and sea fog will begin to drift inland in some western districts, dimming the sunshine at times there. In this rather changeable mix, highs will probably be able to reach 20 or 21 C in some southern and eastern locations, about 18 or 19 C in central parts, and 17 C in the western third as well as across the north.

TONIGHT there may be another interval of cloud and light rain moving across the north and brushing the east coast towards morning. Amounts will be light, around 1-2 mms at most. Many southern and western locations will have some fog or mist but no measurable rain. Lows will be around 11 to 13 C.

MONDAY is likely to bring warmer sunshine to roughly the same parts of Ireland as the previous two days, mainly the inland south, southeast and east, with highs to about 22 or 23 C there. It will likely remain rather foggy with low cloud and drizzle in some western coastal districts, with highs near 17 C, and the north could stay cloudy much of the day with highs of about 18 or 19 C.

TUESDAY the wind direction will reverse from the very light NW'ly flow of previous days, to a slight SE'ly and this will tend to redistribute the coastal fog and low cloud more to the south and east coasts, leaving most inland and western districts sunny, warm and dry. However, there may be some isolated thunderstorms forming in central districts. Highs will be about 24 C inland and west, and 17-19 C south and east coasts.

WEDNESDAY to FRIDAY at present show a tendency for winds to back from southeast to northeast, which will likely take a few degrees off the warmth especially in the eastern third of the country, but in general it should stay rather warm and dry, with a slight risk of showers in one or two locations. Highs should be mainly around 22-23 C, cooler in the north and near the east coast. With this change in wind direction, the south coast could benefit by having a drier and warmer wind off the land rather than sea breezes.

Monday, 22 June, 2009

TODAY will be generally warm and dry, with the main question being how much cloud or sunshine will develop in various regions. There are one or two very light showers moving through eastern sections but these are unlikely to last very long after sunrise. The chances of low cloud, mist or fog are probably greatest in western and northern coastal regions, leaving highs around 17 C, and for the morning also near the east coast which should eventually clear to hazy sunshine and reach 20 C, with most other inland sections seeing sunshine fairly early and this will boost highs to about 22-24 C.

TONIGHT will have low cloud and fog near most south and east facing coasts, with clear if hazy skies in most inland and western sections. It will be quite warm with lows of about 12 to 15 C.

TUESDAY will bring sunshine and even warmer temperatures to many parts of Ireland, but as winds turn to a light southeast regime, the chances of low cloud and fog will be greater than before in east and south coast locations, while the west coast benefits from a warm, dry land breeze. Highs in the warmer parts should reach 24 to 26 C, while coastal sections south and east can expect highs of 18-20 C. There may be isolated thundershowers by afternoon in central districts.

WEDNESDAY to FRIDAY should remain warm and dry with sunshine except in some coastal sections exposed to an east wind; highs will generally be in the range of 22 to 25 C, and overnight lows around 10-13 C. Some east coast locations may be held to 17-19 C by sea breezes.

THE FOLLOWING WEEKEND may even be warmer as a hot continental air mass edges closer and begins to move across southern England towards Ireland.

Today is new moon ... this occurs at 1936 GMT or 8:36 pm.

UPDATE _ Monday, 22 June, 2009 _ 4:20 pm

A few showers will occur in parts of southeast Ireland, mainly about 20-30 miles inland from the south coast. This could represent the beginning of the expected heavier activity for Tuesday, so one or two of these showers could become thundery this evening. There is very little movement with these showers once they develop.

Tuesday, 23 June, 2009

The warm spell should continue for several more days, and there will be some tendency towards lower humidity values and a stronger degree of sunshine later in the week; some will be using the word hot in their reports.

TODAY will still see a lot of higher cloud filtering the sunshine, as well as local sea fog or lower cloud drifting inland in a few places near the south coast mainly, as winds become light southeast. Highs could reach 24 or 25 C despite the lack of direct sunshine, and we're watching out for any thundershowers developing near Laois, Offaly and n Tipps.

TONIGHT will be another warm, muggy (and short) night with lows of about 13 to 16 C.

WEDNESDAY looks a bit less humid as the breeze picks up somewhat from about the ESE direction, and there could be some stronger sunshine in central and western portions, as well as the slight risk of an afternoon shower developing, as highs reach 24-26 C. The east coast may be somewhat cooler than today due to a stronger sea breeze and highs may be in the range of 18-22 C there.

THURSDAY and FRIDAY should be similar with a slight tendency for the east coast sea breezes to back to due east and then ENE, which will perhaps make them slightly more able to push inland. But many places will have very similar weather all three days with highs remaining in the range of 24-26 C. Overnight lows will remain around 13 C.

NEXT WEEKEND could even be a touch warmer, and qualify as "hot" in places with highs to 27 or even 28 C, as the easterly flow goes quite slack again and favours more of a slight southeast wind, which may bring a cooler sea breeze back to the south coast and leave the east coast almost as warm as further inland.

I hope some of the other weather watchers will update around 1-3 pm if they see details emerging on any thundershowers, as yours truly will be otherwise occupied (zzz).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Welsh Wizard

Since started reading your report everyday, we've had nothing but great weather..!:D How do you do it...?

Last night was the warmest night for me in 10 years, (00.30am = 17.5c)

Is this the best summer we've had in 2-3 years...??

End of June last year brought some great weather too..;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭L.O.F.T

I want to say thanks, everyday i come here for my weather updates. Thank you, your work is appreciated.

• Advertisement

HI M.T. and all Just to update todays forecast:convection now in swing parts of Donegal, Mayo ,Galway and Tipp. spherics recorded too. Clear blue skies here in Dublin, fantastic!

Looks like Clare and Limerick also developing convection atm

Looks like a downgrade of the storms and upgrade of the heat going through the weekend. The low out to our south west is only slowly moving in to affect mainly south western areas. Eastern parts could stay dry and get warmer. Remains to be seen

Wednesday, 24 June, 2009

TODAY will be (very) warm and hazy for most, with some cloud to start across parts of central Ireland -- this is the remnants of some heavy showers in Wales yesterday, so needs to be watched for the same sort of development later on today in the northwestern parts of Ireland (being a slow learner I have recently discovered this to be Connaught). In fact, almost anywhere in the western two thirds of Ireland could see a brief shower later today, but most places will stay dry and the sun should become quite strong eventually as some drier air is mixing in -- this will lower the humidity more than the temperature, although the east coast could have a noticeable sea breeze this afternoon. Highs for most of Ireland should reach 23 to 26 C, and even where the sea breeze cools things down a little, it will be into the 18-21 C range. Hopefully I or someone else will spot any heavy showers developing and report on them, anything that does form should drift to the northwest mainly.

TONIGHT will be another fairly clear if hazy night, and quite warm with lows of about 14 to 17 C for most. Some dense fog patches are quite likely especially over districts where rain has fallen in the evening (parts of Mayo and Galway would be a rough guess).

THURSDAY should be quite similar to today, with possibly a slight cooling near the east coast due to a stronger sea breeze. There may be less potential for showers to form as well, although that's not very certain, and highs should reach 23 to 25 C for most places, near 20 C east coast. Winds will tend to back slightly to about due east.

FRIDAY may see a return to somewhat higher humidity levels again as it stays very warm and winds return more to the southeast again. Highs will once again reach 23 to 26 C and there may be somewhat more organized shower or thundershower development in the western half of the country.

SATURDAY is looking very warm and sunny as well with a few isolated thundershowers, highs 24 to 27 C with light sea breezes on most coastlines cooling the immediate shore districts to about 18-20 C.

SUNDAY from this distance looks warm and humid with thundershowers that could become rather heavy in places. Highs will be around 23-25 C away from the coasts. All of the nights from Thursday to early Monday should remain well above 10 C for lowest readings, probably averaging about 14 or 15 C. But as the air dries out later this week, one or two places could drop to 8 or 9 C for a couple of hours, but you likely won't notice unless you're out at 0400 or so.

Thanks to Paulhac for updating yesterday, I missed the entire day in real time due to sleep and then some business that took me away for the day, normally I have a couple of quick looks at the British Isles weather around 3 to 6 pm your time, and I hope to do that today to catch up with any interesting showers or storms. I should just mention (for weather newbies) that sometimes in this kind of weather pattern, you will notice radar echoes at night and early morning that are not really showers or rain, but just false returns off a stable layer near the ground. For example, I'm seeing one or two of those over parts of Wales early this morning. The ones that show up at mid-day are usually real though. If you ever wonder if they are real, check the satellite image for corresponding bright features, if you only see very grey and dull images where the radar echoes are sitting, then it's likely (wait for it) anomalous propagation.

Not much convection today compared to this time yesterday. anything on the radar is just anaprop e.g. south county Down, false echoes. Much fresher feel today due to breeze here in east, much more bearable

• Registered Users Posts: 9,580 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Both Meto and GFS now going for serious heat next week:D

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭glossy

just echoing on what most posters have said thanks M.T Cranium ;)

Thursday, 25 June, 2009

TODAY should continue warm and bright in most parts, although I am a bit concerned about the spread of low cloud into Ireland (as well as eastern England) overnight, and how fast this might dissipate today, given a slightly stronger east wind that may be more noticeable today at 15-25 mph in more exposed locations. This will, however, suppress the sea breeze on the west coast and allow those locations to warm to the maximum extent.

To be on the safe side, I am going to suggest a cloudy start with a brighter late morning, sunny by afternoon in most locations, but don't be surprised if some east coast locations stay foggy or get into a clammy low cloud situation for a while. Highs should be about 22-25 C in the west and central inland districts, near 20 C south coast (15 C over the water) and 18-20 C east coast assuming that it clears up somewhat this afternoon (16 C over the Irish Sea). The chance of showers seems slight although some are moving past the southwest early this morning in a northwesterly direction away from land. However, there could be a few light sprinkles of rain moving west across Clare and Galway towards Mayo this morning.

TONIGHT should see mainly clear skies and less breezy conditions, with fog becoming extensive in some east and south coast locations. Lows will be about 10-13 C inland, and 12-15 C in larger cities and near the coasts.

FRIDAY will be partly cloudy, warm and more humid again, with a higher risk of showers developing, once again mainly in the south and west. Highs will be about 23 C with some cooling near the east and south coasts.

SATURDAY also looks very warm and humid with isolated heavy thundershowers possible, highs near 25 C inland, 20 C near the coasts.

SUNDAY to TUESDAY could be somewhat unsettled but with very warm air seeping in from the near continent and the southern UK, it may reach 27 C in places. The situation is less than certain because a strong low well offshore will continue to spin off moisture just to the southwest of Ireland, and if this proves to be more progressive it could bring a lot of rain into the southwest at any point beyond Sunday night. On the other hand, if the pattern stays more blocked than the models are showing today, the warmth could evolve into a heat wave. So the forecast splits the difference and places Ireland on the edge of these two competing systems (for the time being).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 583 ✭✭✭xp90

Great stuff! although you couldnt please us, these days were complainin its too fecking warm!! Keep up the good work!

• Thursday, 25 June, 2009

TODAY should continue warm and bright in most parts, although I am a bit concerned about the spread of low cloud into Ireland (as well as eastern England) overnight, and how fast this might dissipate today, given a slightly stronger east wind that may be more noticeable today at 15-25 mph in more exposed locations. This will, however, suppress the sea breeze on the west coast and allow those locations to warm to the maximum extent.

To be on the safe side, I am going to suggest a cloudy start with a brighter late morning, sunny by afternoon in most locations, but don't be surprised if some east coast locations stay foggy or get into a clammy low cloud situation for a while. Highs should be about 22-25 C in the west and central inland districts, near 20 C south coast (15 C over the water) and 18-20 C east coast assuming that it clears up somewhat this afternoon (16 C over the Irish Sea). The chance of showers seems slight although some are moving past the southwest early this morning in a northwesterly direction away from land. However, there could be a few light sprinkles of rain moving west across Clare and Galway towards Mayo this morning.

TONIGHT should see mainly clear skies and less breezy conditions, with fog becoming extensive in some east and south coast locations. Lows will be about 10-13 C inland, and 12-15 C in larger cities and near the coasts.

FRIDAY will be partly cloudy, warm and more humid again, with a higher risk of showers developing, once again mainly in the south and west. Highs will be about 23 C with some cooling near the east and south coasts.

SATURDAY also looks very warm and humid with isolated heavy thundershowers possible, highs near 25 C inland, 20 C near the coasts.

SUNDAY to TUESDAY could be somewhat unsettled but with very warm air seeping in from the near continent and the southern UK, it may reach 27 C in places. The situation is less than certain because a strong low well offshore will continue to spin off moisture just to the southwest of Ireland, and if this proves to be more progressive it could bring a lot of rain into the southwest at any point beyond Sunday night. On the other hand, if the pattern stays more blocked than the models are showing today, the warmth could evolve into a heat wave. So the forecast splits the difference and places Ireland on the edge of these two competing systems (for the time being).
    Met Éireann are quite different to you today MT on their radio forecast this morning..
    They are expecting showers in the south and East [as opposed to you expecting them more in the west] spreading in from wales late tonight and tomorrow[friday] with embedded thunderstorms and locally heavy downpours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭jay28

I'm heading to Ballymena tomorrow to a classic show, Im told the weather is going to be very bad, heavy rain most of the day, Is it that bad?:eek:

Advertisement