Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

where to get me a cargo bike

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Last time I came through holyhead with a bike, the checkin desk said you have to load the bike as luggage but the lad at the luggage drop off said "sure ride down to the boat and board with the motorbikes". I reckon you'd just wander through the baggage hall with the bike and out the other door and start pedalling. It's about 1km from terminal to boat.

Nobody will care once you're past checkin and have your boarding pass.

Also, make a day of the spin from Liverpool to Holyhead along the scenic north Wales coast...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭beazee

site_owner wrote: »
    https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F292842956574

Any thoughts on this bike?
    Around what price is good value, seems good spec?

Frame seems to be Manufacturing Year 2013.
    It features the removable dropouts and the old style headset. Before tapered headset was introduced in 2014. The next iteration was rear triangle break to allow for Gates Belt transmission.

I am aware this only a bidding but GBP1,200 is on the low side for the bike in question. The honeycomb board, sides and Alfine 11 Di2 could easily push the price in the GBP2,000 region.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

beazee wrote: »
    It features the removable dropouts and the old style headset. Before tapered headset was introduced in 2014. The next iteration was rear triangle break to allow for Gates Belt transmission.

I am aware this only a bidding but GBP1,200 is on the low side for the bike in question. The honeycomb board, sides and Alfine 11 Di2 could easily push the price in the GBP2,000 region.

Agree with this, someone has put a little effort into the bike, new rear wheel for the Alfine 11, new seat post, etc. Looks like it may have been left outside, but shouldn't have any major issues with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Finally caved and ordered the bullit canioy today... Seems like the rain will never end.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

mloc123 wrote: »
    Finally caved and ordered the bullit canioy today... Seems like the rain will never end.

Thank goodness for that. A nice dry winter ahead so...

• Advertisement

cdaly_ wrote: »
    Thank goodness for that. A nice dry winter ahead so...

Haha. I know. Each week I have been waiting for frosty dry mornings... No doubt we won't see rain until spring now.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

mloc123 wrote: »
    Haha. I know. Each week I have been waiting for frosty dry mornings... No doubt we won't see rain until spring now.

Did you buy a canopy for the side panels or the full canopy itself?

Did you buy a canopy for the side panels or the full canopy itself?

Ordered the full child canopy. I had actually ordered the canvas side panel cover online 3 weeks ago and cancelled the order this week (very poor service from the shop). So went ahead and ordered the full canopy with thinkbike instead

• Registered Users Posts: 27,983 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

going through the planning now

stability, i've never ridden a cargo bike before, do the kids affect stability much? do they have to sit still or is the CoG low enough? how hard is it to keep one upright at traffic lights and so on.
    I've taken adults out with Cycling Without Age a few times. I found the balance to be dramatically different. It felt all wrong, like the bike was tilted, or about to go over.

It takes a bit of getting used to, particularly as I'm only doing it now and again.

I've taken adults out with Cycling Without Age a few times. I found the balance to be dramatically different. It felt all wrong, like the bike was tilted, or about to go over.

It takes a bit of getting used to, particularly as I'm only doing it now and again.

Balance is very different... Steering feels delayed.

Ability to ride it is relative. The better your general bike riding skills, the quicker you adapt, but everyone can ride one.

Full disclosure, I've been a bit of a sap on mine, resulting in two crashes. One, where I misjudged a slight kerb between grass and pavement and we went over. No harm done. One while it was empty and I leaned into a corner on ice and slid for quite a bit. Harm done, but not permanent. Scars are still on the box. I still managed to descend Howth at almost full pelt with child onboard with no accidents.

Generally though, the best approach is to sit a little further back on the saddle and upright, use the front brake as little as possible (I've never swapped my brakes back form the European format it came on for this reason). Keep an eye on your front wheel, if you don't have the damper on it (most don't), it's gonna wiggle from side to side a lot, especially through potholes and ruts, don't panic, mostly you can just let it jump about cos you'll barely feel it in the handlebars or you can counter steer. You'll find your own level on wiggle acceptance soon enough,

I cut my bars a little narrower for traffic and I ride clipless now, I can sometimes balance for c couple of seconds at lights, but I can barely do that on a bike anyway. I do have a friend who is convinced he can wheelie it at some point, but I doubt it.

I don't carry my kid on mine anymore, he's 14 now, so I'm about to start making it as light as possible. They're work horses, and everyone should have one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

They're work horses, and everyone should have one

I'm very tempted but right now have 4 bikes and a trailer in my garage (excluding kids balance bike). I'd need some serious space rationalisation to justify it and would still need a reasonable way for my wife to cycle with our boy if I was awol somewhere...

Handling wise... I find the bullitt very similar to a standard mountain bike. Balance, steering etc... all performs as expected. The only difference is that it is a slog up hills with that extra 15kg in the front.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭beazee

Is that w three-wheeler bike you're talking?
    I owned a rickshaw for a year and couldn't get my mind around about not being able to tilt into the turn. Worse if the tarmac was sloped the other way around - it did feel like I was about to flip over to the other side.

Speaking of two-wheelers (Bullitt) - it's the speed that helps in keeping the bike balanced. Any sudden move from the passenger (especially adult) may knock you off balance but with the higher speed (momentum) it's easier to maintain the course taken.

Spotted this for sale during the week and things moved quickly. Picked up today and just had a great spin home on the cycle track.

Spotted this for sale during the week and things moved quickly. Picked up today and just had a great spin home on the sutton cycle track.

Very happy :)

467607.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

awesome! does it have seats for the kids or how will that work?

awesome! does it have seats for the kids or how will that work?

yes, theres a little cushioned bench inside the canopy, the whole thing closes up and is rain and wind proof.
    its a slightly narrower space than the croozer but they arent short of room.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭Ferris

Spotted this for sale during the week and things moved quickly. Picked up today and just had a great spin home on the cycle track.

Cool! What drive system does it have?

E-cargo bikes have been occupying way too much of my thoughts lately.

Ferris wrote: »
    Cool! What drive system does it have?

E-cargo bikes have been occupying way too much of my thoughts lately.

its the shimano steps 6000 version.
    alfine 8 with di2

Never tried the steps system but its great by all accounts. That bike would have cost a fortune new, well bought.

• Advertisement

Ferris wrote: »
    Never tried the steps system but its great by all accounts. That bike would have cost a fortune new, well bought.

this is my first experience with it, first time on any e-bike. its very smooth getting going at traffic lights and should be great for hills and windy days. first experience is that you dont really notice it coming in, just that pedalling gets a lot easier. i can see why people like them :)

its not modified, and wont be, so it cuts out at 25kph and i was mostly between 29-32 on the seafront so didn't really get much of a chance to experience it other than when moving off.

Sounds similar to me, I have a bosch system but they're all much of a muchness. The ability to move off quickly from traffic would be a great help in traffic with a heavy bike like yours and it helps build stability quickly. The battery assistance comes into its own in headwinds, uphill and when you're carrying a load.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,735 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

On the stability front, I don't have much trouble, though it's hard to keep the steering straight at very low speeds. I think I've just got so used to it now.

Going over dropped kerbs, keep the steering straight. You have to avoid a situation where the kerb is guiding the front wheel in one direction, and your momentum is pulling the bike in another. So grooves and fissures in the road are another thing to watch out for, and they can canalise the front wheel and make the bike unstable.

But it mostly comes down to going no faster than brisk, I think. Mind you, if you're on your own, I guess you can test the limits. You just might have to touch up the paintwork on the box if it goes wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,983 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Is that w three-wheeler bike you're talking?
    I owned a rickshaw for a year and couldn't get my mind around about not being able to tilt into the turn. Worse if the tarmac was sloped the other way around - it did feel like I was about to flip over to the other side.

Speaking of two-wheelers (Bullitt) - it's the speed that helps in keeping the bike balanced. Any sudden move from the passenger (especially adult) may knock you off balance but with the higher speed (momentum) it's easier to maintain the course taken.
    It's a three wheeler, but with the carriage in front, not behind. The balance takes a lot of getting used to, as you say. I kept feeling initially that it was going to flip over, but it doesn't. The non-leaning into corners is strange, and when going straight, I have this strange feeling that I'm tilted at a slight angle, even though everything looks right.

Hopefully, experience will help.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,735 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

It's a three wheeler, but with the carriage in front, not behind. The balance takes a lot of getting used to, as you say. I kept feeling initially that it was going to flip over, but it doesn't. The non-leaning into corners is strange, and when going straight, I have this strange feeling that I'm tilted at a slight angle, even though everything looks right.

Hopefully, experience will help.
    Yeah, I know a few people with three-wheelers, and the consensus seems to be that they're harder to cycle, at least until you get used to them, if you're already used to two-wheelers. You have three wheel lines instead of one, which makes avoiding potholes and such like much harder, and, as already said, cornering is a bit weird. Not as weird, I imagine, as cornering on a conventional trike, where the outside rear wheel often comes off the ground.

1955gbp in the end

Extra tip actually. In the summer, remove the mudguards and move to Schwalbe Kojacks. Makes a world of difference

Extra tip actually. In the summer, remove the mudguards and move to Schwalbe Kojacks. Makes a world of difference

Marathons are a dog to cycle on... but should never puncture at least

Hadn't thought about the tyres being a drag. I value puncture protection pretty highly so I'm not sure I'll switch, will see when summer comes around.

Has anyone insured their cargo bike? Bikmo quoted me more than the car insurance...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Hadn't thought about the tyres being a drag. I value puncture protection pretty highly so I'm not sure I'll switch, will see when summer comes around.

Has anyone insured their cargo bike? Bikmo quoted me more than the car insurance...

I added mine to the house insurance (fbd), think it was an extra 100 or 150 euro or so, all risks

Advertisement