Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Recommended Rainfall Radars

Options
  • 02-12-2018 4:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭

Can you recommend any rainfall radars/rainfall forecast radars apart from Met Eireanns.

I need to keep a close eye on the rain to plan my walks etc, and while I can usually rely on Met Eireann's, yesterday there was serious problems!

Rainfall Forecast seemed to be hours behind, and had no correlation whatsoever when you compared it to the actual radar for the day.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Raintoday.co.uk is one I sometimes use

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Download the Rainalarm app. It will notify you of rain on the way to your area.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

I still use net weathers storm radar

• Registered Users Posts: 10,060 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    I still use net weathers storm radar

Great app on the phone that one

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

The rainfall radar on WeatherLive app (for iPhone) is very good and very accurate the vast majority of the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Bio Mech

I use Meteoradar app on IOS and Android. Has loads of different maps types and has a 3 hour forecast (radar map also).

It’s very good.

Just checked on the App Store and it seems to be called rainradar uk and ireland now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

Would I be correct in saying that the Dublin Radar has been down for the last couple of weeks? Maintenance?

I generally use Netweather and for weeks you can see the 'rays' from Shannon which usually seems to happen when there is no overlapping coverage. ie. When Shannon is down you see 'rays' in the rainfall radar returns emanating from Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

I find Netweather's radar streets ahead of everything else, and it's free!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,137 ✭✭✭highdef

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    I find Netweather's radar streets ahead of everything else, and it's free!

I've been finding (the free version anyway) to be very inaccurate of late. Cross checking between it and the Met Eireann radar had shown Met Eireann to by miles ahead, at least for my location in North Kildare. Several times today, Met Eireann showed heavy showers approaching me and then passing over me yet most of the the Net Weather radar showed little or nothing over me. It was completely useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Rougies

highdef wrote: »
    I've been finding (the free version anyway) to be very inaccurate of late. Cross checking between it and the Met Eireann radar had shown Met Eireann to by miles ahead, at least for my location in North Kildare. Several times today, Met Eireann showed heavy showers approaching me and then passing over me yet most of the the Net Weather radar showed little or nothing over me. It was completely useless.

Netweather, Raintoday etc. don't use Dublin Airport radar data. As far as I know met.ie is the only public site that conveys Dublin radar data in its imagery.

Last year I was experimenting with a dynamic accumulated rainfall image based on radar image data. Here's an example of the Netweather accumulated returns over 24 hrs.

BrESwe1.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,877 ✭✭✭pauldry

I use an app called Ireland Weather by Leon Calcutt on Android.

Anyone else use this. I find it excellent

Advertisement