Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Interest in starting a new Bushcraft Club

• 24-04-2014 2:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭

Hi all,

I've had a lot of interest from people looking to come out with us here in the Irish Bushcraft Club. Unfortunately our club is now at capacity and we will only be running closed events for members within the club.

However, We are hoping to aid anyone interested in starting a club of similar ethos and values when it comes to Bushcraft. We are a member club of Mountaineering Ireland and are required to adopt certain policies around 'Leave no trace' and other guidelines around the use of Mountain areas which are good guidelines for people who use the Mountains and Woodlands around the country.

Starting this club with the help of others has been one of the most rewarding things I've ever done and I sincerely encourage people, that if you are passionate about bushcraft to start a club of your own. Through the club, I have gained a lot of knowledge by learning through a community of like minded people and gained great friends too. As a club we have been to almost every county in the country practicing Bushcraft. As well as visits to the UK, Sweden & Norway.

Boards.ie is where this club was started, so I think it fitting that we try get another club up and running using the same means.

If you are interested in what we do and possibly starting something similar, post it here and I will try do my best to answer questions or meet up with people if needed.

Here is what we do
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055315103&page=26

Here is who we are
    http://www.irishbushcraftclub.org/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8 ciaran.mmc

Hi, I really wanted to join Bushcraft Ireland and I was talking to Donal (Crapbag?) and I might just start my own group for Cork and maybe Munster but if I start it I'd probably be looking to go all over Ireland and I'd also be interested in going to Scotland but I could probably do with a couple of other experienced people. I'll put up some other posts on this later. It's a real shame Bushcraft is full as I would have loved to join but maybe this will be a good opportunity to start our own one. CiaranMMC.

I'm looking into it anyway at the moment. I only even started thinking of starting my own group similar to Bushcraft earlier this morning after talking to Donal from Bushcraft.

I'll put up what I emailed to Bushcraft Ireland now via copy and paste. :-)

This club looks great and I would be really interested in joining. I'm not if you are the crowd that were on the late late show but regardless your club and website look great. I have a good bit about 10 or so years worth of camping experience under my belt and at the moment I am looking to go over to Scotland or maybe d a bit of free camping but I am trying to convince I a couple of the guys from my school to do with or get a couple of friends to go but this club looks good as it is full of other people with similar interest. Can you give me an email back with any info I'd need and I'd look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks, Ciaran.

*Also I have since realised that this a different club to that one on The Late Late Show, but I actually think I might have preferred joining this one or starting something similar to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

Mod

ciaran.mmc,

You have posted the same content in the main Bushcraft thread. Please don't post duplicate content, because it's against boards.ie spam rules.

I have removed the duplicate content now.

It is possible for you to edit your posts to include further content, rather than entering further, similar posts on the same subject.

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Crapbag

Hi Ciaran,

To be honest I hate that we have had to close to new members. Initially we had discussed having different 'branches' of the same club in different provinces. However after discussing this in depth, we decided against this. Simply to avoid the bureaucracy of a large organisation.

Also separate clubs are free to implement things that we haven't. For instance, our club is for adults only. Where another club might want people to be able to bring out their kids. Same for pets, we have a no pets policy in our club. Others might want to have their pets on site. That's fine. Therefore a new club would have the ability to implement different policies in that regard. Where we can help is the administration and speaking to Mountaineering Ireland.

Remember that MI are a National Governing Body of Ireland and are associated with the Sports Council of Ireland. Therefore there are certain policies that Mountaineering Ireland expect to have implemented by their member clubs which need to be considered. The benefit of going through MI is that clubs receive public liability insurance for their activities with which they can approach land owners with. It makes an organisation look more professional and conscientious when approaching people in relation to land use.

We are prepared to help with the formation of any club who wants to learn and practice bushcraft. If the club/group you are hoping to form has a completely different set of ideals or principles, then we would not be the people to talk to. However I would love to work with others who are passionate about Bushcraft

Yeah thanks, I think to be honest for this kind of thing you want to be at least 14 or 16 and have had previous experience camping maybe. Maybe starting a new club with some similar ethos might be good. Also going through MI might be good. Probably too early to talk about thgis but did you have to approach Coilte Ireland and how did you get on with that. It would be interesting to know.. Ciaran.

To be honest my interaction with Coillte has been mixed. Initially it was all very positive, I was emailing their head of recreation at the time the club started. Then it went quiet all of a sudden and I heard nothing from them. However we do have permission in a Coillte forest through the club, thanks to a local contact

You have to understand that Coillte are a commercial operation and are not obliged to open their commercial forests to the public other than providing through ways for day walkers. However there are exceptions to this around other activities. Bushcraft on the other hand is different. We light fires and this could be viewed as a threat to a commercial crop which is understandable. Most of their experiences of people lighting fires in the woods would probably be negative. Im sure everyone has seen the ugly fire rings and cans left everywhere by irresponsible campers.

My advice to anyone looking to use a Coillte wood is to interact with them on a local level. Speak to the local forest manager. Having the backing of MI here is huge. It shows that not only do you have Public Liability insurance but that you are conforming to policies such as 'Leave no trace' guiding the club on the use of Wilderness areas.

Crapbag wrote: »
    To be honest my interaction with Coillte has been mixed. Initially it was all very positive, I was emailing their head of recreation at the time the club started. Then it went quiet all of a sudden and I heard nothing from them. However we do have permission in a Coillte forest through the club, thanks to a local contact

You have to understand that Coillte are a commercial operation and are not obliged to open their commercial forests to the public other than providing through ways for day walkers. However there are exceptions to this around other activities. Bushcraft on the other hand is different. We light fires and this could be viewed as a threat to a commercial crop which is understandable. Most of their experiences of people lighting fires in the woods would probably be negative. Im sure everyone has seen the ugly fire rings and cans left everywhere by irresponsible campers.

My advice to anyone looking to use a Coillte wood is to interact with them on a local level. Speak to the local forest manager. Having the backing of MI here is huge. It shows that not only do you have Public Liability insurance but that you are conforming to policies such as 'Leave no trace' guiding the club on the use of Wilderness areas.

Yeah very important to light fires responsibly like digging a hole a surrounding with stones. I agree being part of MI and being a club would make a huge difference. Thanks for the advice. Ciaran.

ciaran.mmc wrote: »
    Yeah very important to light fires responsibly like digging a hole a surrounding with stones. I agree being part of MI and being a club would make a huge difference. Thanks for the advice. Ciaran.

Lighting fires is an important skill in bushcraft. What I would suggest if you are thinking of forming a club, is maybe do a course. It doesn't need to cost the world or be a week long or be with Ray Mears personally but it does give you an insight into the skills you will be practicing in your club. If you can't afford a course, that's fine. Read bushcraft forums, look up skills on YouTube but above all, get out and practice

Personally, using stones around and fire and digging a hole is not something I would regularly do. I wont go in to the ins & outs of my experience with fires but it does highlight the need to practice some basic skills

• Advertisement

Crapbag wrote: »
    Lighting fires is an important skill in bushcraft. What I would suggest if you are thinking of forming a club, is maybe do a course. It doesn't need to cost the world or be a week long or be with Ray Mears personally but it does give you an insight into the skills you will be practicing in your club. If you can't afford a course, that's fine. Read bushcraft forums, look up skills on YouTube but above all, get out and practice

Personally, using stones around and fire and digging a hole is not something I would regularly do. I wont go in to the ins & outs of my experience with fires but it does highlight the need to practice some basic skills

To be honest I'd have always just used a gas stove and never really had a need or an opportunity to be lighting fires but it might be a good skill to learn especially for something like Bushcraft. If I was on my own I probably would be just using a gas stove.

Probably could do with a bit of looking up first if I was going to be using fires

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭thehippychippy

ciaran.mmc wrote: »
    To be honest I'd have always just used a gas stove and never really had a need or an opportunity to be lighting fires but it might be a good skill to learn especially for something like Bushcraft. If I was on my own I probably would be just using a gas stove.

I'm heading back to mayo in may for another Grey Wolf Bushcraft course with MacTire bushcraft. Well worth the money for the amount of knowledge and experience gained and a sound fella running it too.

I'm heading back to mayo in may for another Grey Wolf Bushcraft course with MacTire bushcraft. Well worth the money for the amount of knowledge and experience gained and a sound fella running it too.

Colm seems like a dead sound bloke. I've never met the man but any email conversations I've had have been very positive

Colm and Sam are good people alright, makes the learning a lot easier. And Sam is a greater cook. Looking forward to a night in those woods again!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 paul5446

I would be very interested in this if it were to happen

Hi Paul,

Are you interested in helping to start one?

Hi yes I would be interested, I'm quite new to the whole area or bushcraft so what I could offer would be limited but at the end of the day it's a learning curve that one must start somewhere.
    If there are some other board members on here that would be interested in maybe meeting up to discuss the possibility of a bushcraft club I'd be willing to be a part of it.
    Also Donal(crapbag)? your input would be extremely valuable:)

Diarmuid

Hi Diarmuid,

I have no problem offering assistance to a group who are serious about starting a club of similar ethos to ourselves. I'm prepared to meet up with an individual or even better, a small group of people willing to put the little bit of effort needed to get this going. Believe me when I say it. If you get a good group of people together, the club will run itself. The initial start up process for the first club was difficult but any subsequent clubs should be fine. I would love to see more clubs on the go

Yep sounds good to me I would be happy to get the ball rolling on this. Shout out to any other board members here that are interested and we can share contacts to arrange a meet up to discuss.
    If there are no replays by this Sunday I will proceed solo:) Would anytime next week or the following suit you Donal?

• Advertisement

paul5446 wrote: »
    Yep sounds good to me I would be happy to get the ball rolling on this. Shout out to any other board members here that are interested and we can share contacts to arrange a meet up to discuss.
    If there are no replays by this Sunday I will proceed solo:) Would anytime next week or the following suit you Donal?

I'm deffo up for this. Had a great weekend with Mactire and would love to get out more. Anything I can do to help just shout

Hey Diarmuid,

Next week isn't great for me. Unfortunately I'm away next weekend and busy during the evenings. The week after would suit better if that's any help. I would be around the weekend but could possibly meet during the week. It might give you some time to get more people together though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

Maybe not the most appropriate thread to post this in but the most current one on bushcraft - I was up in the Kings River valley last Sat morn at about 10.30 and where the Annalecka Brook meets the Kings River, came upon a campfire - still burning. No sign of rubbish or anybody about at all, very strange! And not entirely right on what is forestry land, although this fire was well set back from any trees and there was little or no wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 bigd23

Hey what's the craic. I'm interested In This also. Keep me posted about any developments. If you need a hand with anything I'm game

I've had a lot of people interested in the formation of another club but so far no one has actually put their hand up and say that they would be willing to get one off the ground. All I will say is, that things don't happen without someone willing to grab the horse by the reigns and make it happen. I'm willing to help in any way possible but unless there is someone motivated and passionate enough to get it moving, it wont happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 hellooperator

Hi guys.
    I would be interested in starting a club based out of the Dublin area. I see there were a few people interested in this before, maybe if interested persons could pm me or post below. I think we could get something up and running even between three of us.
    I have been on a few courses with woodlore and frontier bushcraft but hopefully a club would be a great way of meeting people who share a passion for the outdoors.

Excellent. If we can do anything to help, don't hesitate to contact me

Hi guys.
    I would be interested in starting a club based out of the Dublin area. I see there were a few people interested in this before, maybe if interested persons could pm me or post below. I think we could get something up and running even between three of us.
    I have been on a few courses with woodlore and frontier bushcraft but hopefully a club would be a great way of meeting people who share a passion for the outdoors.

Count me in Hello

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Hammock n Tarp 88

Hi everyone, I've been talking to Donal via the Irish Bushcraft Clubs facebook page about trying to get a club up and running in the mid or north leinster region? so basically anywhere between Wicklow and the Border with the North, mainly this is because I'm not driving at the minute, and would like to start something I could actually attend! I've limited practical bushcraft experience but have done a lot of reading, and I'm eager to be involved in a club with like minded people, so I can further my experience.

I've seen from the posts above that there are a few people interested in forming a club in Munster and a few mention Dublin and the surrounding areas and obviously the distance between those two regions would mean it wouldn't be all that practical to have one club that covered the entire area, in my eyes that would lead to people to bicker over having to travel so far etc etc.

What I would propose however is that, if there is enough serious interest that we attempt to form two branches of the same club, as mentioned above, free to implement their own little rules but following the same main ethos, so that members from either branch could attend either club outing,should they so choose?

I'm willing to put in alot of the graft to get this off the ground, and would be more than happy to assist if somebody has already begun the process.

If people would like to give me some feedback on starting up a club for this area,and anybody willing to help in its founding then I can gauge the interest and then from there hopefully Donal can help us get the ball rolling with MI and the general running of the club?

Thanks

Bernard

• Advertisement

Hi Bernard,

Donal here. I'm delighted you're so enthused about it. I wouldn't let geography get in the way of starting a club. For example in our club we have members from Cork, Mayo, Galway, Meath, Dublin and Belfast to mention but a few. Not everyone makes every meet up but it doesn't stop them being a member as they can get our maybe once every 2 months. We meet every 4 weeks at least and many of us are prepared to travel. What I would suggest is looking for somewhere that you can get land access first. Having the legitimatacy of Mountaineering Ireland will really help with that. Somewhere central would be ideal but really, you'll find it hard to be able to pick a spot that you want. It's whatever you can get for now, then when you have even a small location you can get people in and make contacts

Advertisement