Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

RTE Player on Boxee

Options
  • 26-06-2009 12:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

Hi All,

I have developed a player like the BBC iplayer for Boxee. That means that anybody using Boxee (Windows, Mac, Linux, AppleTV or other) will be able to watch all the shows in fullscreen available from the RTE Player.
    At the moment, features available are:
    - Highlights displayed on Home page and ready to be played.
    - TV Section contains Latest, Last Chance, Categories and A-Z
    - For all of those, it plays only the last show available.

What I need to work on still:
    - Display previous show available
    - Add Radio section with all RTE Podcast
    - Add Search functionality.

I am waiting on Boxee Community to see how I can make that available from Boxee repository.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

fair play. will it work on xbmc too?

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭kdobey

sounds great. I hoped this would happen but didn't think it would. Do u work for rte or do u have cooperation/blessing? I had wondered my self about how to reverse engineer the interface (since its flash).

Do tell? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭aledoux

No I don't work for RTE ;)
    Just installed Boxee on my new AppleTV and then saw that BBC iPlayer was on it so why not RTE Player.
    So I started investigating it and did it myself. I have the repository in place on my own server so anybody that runs boxee will soon be able to test it. All contributions or comments will be welcome.

Scruff, As for XBMC I didn't look yet if it would work but why not as Boxee is based on XBMC. Once I am happy with the Boxee version, I will look into XBMC.

Here is a preview of what I have at the moment.

RTE Player on Boxee Preview

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

looks great

what format are the rte player streams? flash video or h264?

just wondering as theres a new 100euro media player coming out this week called xtreamer which supports h264 and flash (but not the on2 vp6 codec yet) and it would be cool to have rte player working with it.

http://xtreamer.net/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

that xtreamer looks very interesting. If it lives up to its promise for €99 its definitely a better buy than the likes of the WD tv.

Ok some update on what I have now. Rather than focusing on RTE Player only, I have integrated RTE, TV3, SkyNews and City Channel in the same app. I have some other plans that I need to investigate before I say anything.
    At the moment it is working great and I should have a version ready for testing soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭marathont

This sounds really cool, maybe you could put tg4.tv in there as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

marathont wrote: »
    This sounds really cool, maybe you could put tg4.tv in there as well.

Yes please.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭eddiem74

Would this also be able to integrate with windows media center?

Sorry if a silly question, don't know much about boxee...:o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭Thomas-G

That's well cool, good work, XBMC would be great too!

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Lemo

RTE should give you a medal but they'll probably try to have you arrested instead :-)

How did you get around the fact that the RTE streams are encrypted?

By the way, I'm also a Boxee on ATV user so happy to test...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭dmck

good work, i was hoping somebody would develop this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Lemo wrote: »
    RTE should give you a medal but they'll probably try to have you arrested instead :-)

How did you get around the fact that the RTE streams are encrypted?

By the way, I'm also a Boxee on ATV user so happy to test...

Second that, got Boxee on my ATV if you need testers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

Hey how have you been getting on with this? Is it ready by any chance ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Dorsanty

Me want too!!

Been all quiet on the boxee forum too link

• Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭rom

pitty, looks like vapourware

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭jeromeof

Alexis,
    I would be interested in this plugin too. Hope you get around to finishing it. I see you have a France24 boxee plugin and a repo for it, would you not just put your current plugin (without the TV3 stuff) up, so that some beta testers can try it?

Thanks

Jerome

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭viking

Any update on this? Would love to have this app on my Boxee :)

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭beaker

I too would love to use this. I hope you get a second wind and finish it.

Go wan, go wan, go wan, go wan, go wan....... :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 shucks11

This would be fantastic - hope we get to see it sometime! Boxee is great but we need some good streaming content we can access from ireland!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,000 ✭✭✭Talisman

I had been looking at creating a plugin for Plex but haven't had the time to investigate what's involved with the RTMPE protocol. Processing the XML feed is easy enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

Seems to be done, just saw it retweeted (by @boxee )they are looking for testers next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

looks like its dkane and not the op behind it

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭dkane

Hey,
    Just to clarify. I have been working on a separate RTE Player app. Hope to launch it to my repository (dir.nexthop.ie) early next week.

Beta version of RTE Player Boxee App just launched
    see: http://forum.boxee.tv/showthread.php?t=12363

Comment/Bug reports welcome

Happily using this now. Just finished watching 6:01 news, also did a bit of navigating the menus.

Thanks dkane

• Registered Users Posts: 40 hecmail

I've been hoping someone would develop this.

If you need any help testing/working on the app let me know.

Work away on testing it. Its available to download from my DEV repository.
    I have't had much time to do much more with it the past few days. I need to get the javascript for the controls working properly and fix a couple of things in the UI.

Very interested in any feedback anyone has on the app.

• Advertisement

@dkane : Do you have plans to support more of the topbar menu items i.e. My Videos and others? Seems a bit low on space for more then 2 or so extra items over the current but I see you listed scaling in your known issues so my question might be covered by that issue.

I've only found one or two navigation transition issues which also seem to match your known issues list.

Please let us know when you release any updates to the app and great work so far!

Advertisement