Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Airport alert as lethal coronavirus on our doorstep

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

This is the sort of thing that will probably kill us all off, not aliens / asteroids / nuclear war.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭73bc61lyohr0mu

Remember when Ebola was going to kill us all? Or SARS? Or Swine Flu? Mass hysteria as usual and the media are loving it. Wait until this illness becomes boring and you won't hear anything more about it. Live your life, relax and don't believe the sensationalist nonsense out there..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

Remember when Ebola was going to kill us all? Or SARS? Or Swine Flu? Mass hysteria as usual and the media are loving it. Wait until this illness becomes boring and you won't hear anything more about it. Live your life, relax and don't believe the sensationalist nonsense out there..

Those were only contained due to extensive international efforts, they didn't just disappear. Someone has eaten an infected bat or a koala in China and the repercussions are being felt across the world. The antibiotics crisis doesn't help things either.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

Well, if there’s any country that can make a complete tits of this, its us..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,146 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

It's a relatively minor virus as it is though, only really dangerous to those immunocompromised or the old, just like a lot of other viruses.

Antibiotic make no difference whatsoever anyway, it's a virus.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

Those were only contained due to extensive international efforts, they didn't just disappear. Someone has eaten an infected bat or a koala in China and the repercussions are being felt across the world. The antibiotics crisis doesn't help things either.

Agree with most of your point but antibiotics will not help with a virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

It is mutating they said at the start, and there have been many deaths already. Wise to take no risks.. Hope for the best but prepare for the worst

They are acting wisely and responsibly
    Hurrache wrote: »
    It's a relatively minor virus as it is though, only really dangerous to those immunocompromised or the old, just like a lot of other viruses.

Antibiotic make no difference whatsoever anyway, it's a virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Just waiting for this new virus to be blamed on climate change, can’t be long now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

Wow, the doom and gloom brigade media has really done a job in making peoples outlook overly negative. Things really aren't that bad in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Yep. Ebola still going strong in Africa... where's the headlines?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Someone has eaten a... koala in China
    :confused::confused:
    come again?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

I agree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

China: hold my tea

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

I feel sorry for young people these days. They are being bombarded with fear stories on a constant basis. It cannot be easy on their mental health.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,067 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Ah jeeze not the Russians again...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

Nothing against the OP but I love the sensationalist headline in the post.

Reminds me of the time in the 90's some guy caught a tope on a rod and line way up the Shannon Estuary, and the headline on the paper was something onto Jaws is getting nearer to Limerick city..

A tope is a small shark which is common enough around the coast and can grow up to 6ft in length.
    Harmless but one would have to be careful while unhooking them.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,011 ✭✭✭✭looksee

There have been 44 deaths so far this season from flu in Ireland (the 'ordinary' variety of flu) and around 2700 hospital admissions. That is from the HSE; normally there are between 80 and 120 deaths in a season. Last year there were 102 deaths.

looksee wrote: »
    There have been 44 deaths so far this season from flu in Ireland (the 'ordinary' variety of flu) and around 2700 hospital admissions? That is from the HSE; normally there are between 80 and 120 deaths in a season. Last year there were 102 deaths.

I've man flu since yesterday.. you telling me this is the end?!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Saw the headline and assumed the OP was just trying to do a dramatic impression of the Indo. Seems the paper is happy to be more and more tabloid itself!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

There will always be those who use alarmism or who just like to believe the worst doomsday scenario possible.

That said - I would recommend an excellent overview on plagues over the course of human history, which have been responsible for the deaths of many millions and how a number of specific regions - - one which is China effectively serve as disease pools for the generation of new forms of infection. Worth a read.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plagues_and_Peoples

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,464 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Peatys wrote: »
    I've man flu since yesterday.. you telling me this is the end?!

Yes. Put your affairs in order and inform your loved ones.

Yes. Put your affairs in order and inform your loved ones.

I hereby leave this half finished bowl of crunchy nuts to my next door neighbor. She always loved my crunchy nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,940 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

looksee wrote: »
    There have been 44 deaths so far this season from flu in Ireland (the 'ordinary' variety of flu) and around 2700 hospital admissions? That is from the HSE; normally there are between 80 and 120 deaths in a season. Last year there were 102 deaths.

But that's not 'sexy' enough for the 24hr news and media.

It has to be a killer virus from abroad, not plain old flu

Peatys wrote: »
    I hereby leave this half finished bowl of crunchy nuts to my next door neighbor. She always loved my crunchy nuts.

She is ill too ;)

Someone has eaten an infected bat or a koala in China

What a year. Straight from the fire and into the frying pan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

The media hungry for clicks again..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

What a load of chit.

It's a cold.

Tell that man in Belfast to have a lemsip and a hot whiskey and watch some netflix. Be grand.

remember when sars & Bird flu was going to wipe out the human race? Turned out that the only way to contract it is if you were living in a hen house in Thailand with your face up a ducks arse for 12 hours a day.

Same with swine flu. A load of bollox.

For normal healthy people, these are non-issues.

It is only if you have a AIDS or a knackered immune system or if you are a 137 year old diabetic that these are an issue. But sure then the regular flu would probably finish you off just as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Just waiting for this new virus to be blamed on climate change, can’t be long now.

The warming sea temperatures off the China coast created the perfect conditions for the virus to mutate within the local sea weed. Ironically in an attempt to reduce their carbon footprint and move to a more plant based diet locals have been eating more of this seaweed.

So the people causing climate change are to blame and the people trying to do something about it are also to blame. So no ones not to blame.

• Advertisement

You can nearly sense from news readers that they are fed up propping up these continual fear stories.
    You can see that they don't believe the hype and don't like saying overly dramatic words like 'deadly', 'lockdown' and 'mutating' (all viruses mutate ffs).

Advertisement