Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2013- Mod Warning Post #1

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭thegambler2

Just wondering what peoples opinions on the fact that the minor captain has to be from the previous years minor winning team. Firstly I have no problem with this years choice, that being said he wouldnt have got the captaincy except for the fact he is from that club. Throughout the years players from clubs from lower divisions have deserved the captaincy. Why not take the senior model and give it to the most deserving and save the hassle of it all?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Just wondering what peoples opinions on the fact that the minor captain has to be from the previous years minor winning team. Firstly I have no problem with this years choice, that being said he wouldnt have got the captaincy except for the fact he is from that club. Throughout the years players from clubs from lower divisions have deserved the captaincy. Why not take the senior model and give it to the most deserving and save the hassle of it all?

Personally, I don't like it at all. I played on minor and U21 teams where we either had a very poor choice of captain, or worse again had a decent captain who didn't have enough ability to be starting on the team.

A team which won the county title might actually be less likely to have high quality players not in their last year of minor or 21.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Wasn't aware Waterford had such a rule and tbh its bizzare and illogical, longest serving panel member or managements preference would be far more appropriate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭seananigans

Wasn't aware Waterford had such a rule and tbh its bizzare and illogical, longest serving panel member or managements preference would be far more appropriate.

Wouldn't it be mental if we turn into a new Gallway/ Clare with unsafe success to beat the band and seniors with no bottle

Wouldn't it be mental if we turn into a new Gallway/ Clare with unsafe success to beat the band and seniors with no bottle

:confused: you lost me bud??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

Makes zero sense. Last years minor club champions are effectively a different age group to this years county minor team. Should have no bearing whatsoever.

That being said last years captain kevin daly was a brilliant choice. A very level headed younglad and became a great ambassador for the team and county.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭hurler on de ditch

:confused: you lost me bud??
    LOST THE PLOT

robopaddy wrote: »
    Makes zero sense. Last years minor club champions are effectively a different age group to this years county minor team. Should have no bearing whatsoever.

That being said last years captain kevin daly was a brilliant choice. A very level headed younglad and became a great ambassador for the team and county.

Spot on there! He wouldnt have got the position apart from this crazy rule, but it really worked in the teams favour!
    But for example he was dropped for the Clare game last year, a captain needs to be a guareenteed starter, can anybody remember 2010? there was problems there too!
    The most natural leader should be given the job. Simple as

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Deiseforall

Kevin Daly led his County by example last year. He was only dropped because he was selected in the wrong position for the Tipperary game. A natural leader once he was selected in his correct position as FULL BACK.

Kevin Daly led his County by example last year. He was only dropped because he was selected in the wrong position for the Tipperary game. A natural leader once he was selected in his correct position as FULL BACK.

I agree completely with what you are saying, the point im trying to bring across isnt that kevin daly the player was dropped, rather the waterford captain was dropped!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭carter10

Do Tipp not have the same rule? I remember somethin about Pa O NEILL IN 88?

carter10 wrote: »
    Do Tipp not have the same rule? I remember somethin about Pa O NEILL IN 88?

No we used to have it at senior level alright but that was abolished in the 90's, mamgements choice now.

Pa O'Neill was captain in 1988 but was never really an established first 15 player, when he was left out for the final and Nicky English was chosen as captain there was a bit if resentment in Cappawhite (Pa's Club) as they felt it was Babs trying to get the star man as his captain. Its still a very contentious subject in West tipp tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭Slobbery

It makes no sense really

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭carter10

No we used to have it at senior level alright but that was abolished in the 90's, mamgements choice now.

Pa O'Neill was captain in 1988 but was never really an established first 15 player, when he was left out for the final and Nicky English was chosen as captain there was a bit if resentment in Cappawhite (Pa's Club) as they felt it was Babs trying to get the star man as his captain. Its still a very contentious subject in West tipp tbh.

Am I right in saying he gave a great speech after the 88 league final? Long time ago now, vaguely remember the hassle over the captaincy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Don't most have it?
    Spot on there! He wouldnt have got the position apart from this crazy rule, but it really worked in the teams favour!
    But for example he was dropped for the Clare game last year, a captain needs to be a guareenteed starter, can anybody remember 2010? there was problems there too!
    The most natural leader should be given the job. Simple as

Pretty sure Paudi Mahony was captain in 2010 which was no bad choice.

2011 though Chris Kervick was captain and didn't play after the first game. He was joint captain though with Gavin O'Brien, so that wasn't too bad either in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Waterford cd

Only know handful of minors . Anyone have player by player info on starting line up?

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Waterford cd

Surprised at the positioning of lyons

Anyone know info on starting line up ?

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Mr Tibbs

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Ropaire

Mr Tibbs wrote: »

Interesting read. Who sold off these rights to Sky btw? If that went to a vote at any level of whats supposed to be an amateur organisation it would have fell flat on its arse!

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Waternut

Anyone know is Jack McCarthy and Craig Brown injured / on the panel? Sutton would be a huge addition too..

• Advertisement

Ropaire wrote: »
    Interesting read. Who sold off these rights to Sky btw? If that went to a vote at any level of whats supposed to be an amateur organisation it would have fell flat on its arse!

Then again so would many other votes. Eg opening croke park. People will move on

• Registered Users Posts: 19 1club1county

M.J. Sutton ferrybank, What is his best position, and how would that impact on this team Named?, Also What is his injury, and how Long will he be out for?, i Know colm roche, so i presume he would be Centre forward, with cormac gone to midfield or possible to the wing with team captain under pressure, and again anyone in the know ,What is his injury ? and how long is he out for, I presume both must be significant, as you would do your best to be back for this game, Also what is the state of Play with stephen bennett is he injured at the moment?, or is he training with the senior panel, also Darragh fives was his injury against dublin, a new injury or a continuation of his previous and very much consistant injury woes?, please no speculation, just relevant facts.
    Roche has always played full back for this age group & mj in midfield. But postions always change about at minor grade, Austin Gleeson moving from the forwards to centre back is an example

Don't most have it?

Pretty sure Paudi Mahony was captain in 2010 which was no bad choice.

2011 though Chris Kervick was captain and didn't play after the first game. He was joint captain though with Gavin O'Brien, so that wasn't too bad either in fairness.

Apologies it was 2011 I was thinking of!

Anyone read wayne hutchinsons blog on his battles with depression? Compelling reading. Fair play to him for talking about it. Shows a lot of courage

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭seananigans

Anyone read wayne hutchinsons blog on his battles with depression? Compelling reading. Fair play to him for talking about it. Shows a lot of courage

No chance of a link no?

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭cleaboy boy

Link to Wayne Hutchinson's piece here.
    Very powerful and very brave.

http://waynehutchinson09.wordpress.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭TheBomber14

the minors are 4/9 to win tomorrow night, very short, anyone have any info on the clare team?

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭cleaboy boy

No info on the Clare team, I know there's goals in that Waterford full forward line though. Patrick Curran isnt 100% fit so that's a bit of a worry...

the minors are 4/9 to win tomorrow night, very short, anyone have any info on the clare team?

From the clare forum, not much expected from their minors this year it would seem. Davy fitz younglad is playin. Years dont be long goin!

• Advertisement

carter10 wrote: »
    Am I right in saying he gave a great speech after the 88 league final? Long time ago now, vaguely remember the hassle over the captaincy
    He did indeed, he was a fine hurler in his own right to be fair but at the time Tipp had an exceptional set of forwards, the 6 that started the final in '88 was Declan Ryan, Donie O'Connell, John Leahy, Pat Fox, Nicholas English and Aidan Ryan. Even Cormac Bonner couldnt make the line up so he just very unlucky really.

Don't most have it?

Perhaps Mountain although wasn't aware that it was still prevelant, its completely illogoical, technically a club could win a minor county final ( especially a town or city club, with 15, 18 year olds and all would be overage the following year yet that club would have the captain of the county team the following year.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement