Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

ECTO's Walrus

• 05-07-2019 2:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭

484488.jpg

What is Walrus ?

Walrus is a game wherein you select music, & other people judge your music. Standard Walrus usually has 1 host who selects all the categories, & a bunch of people submit songs & the host judges all the songs in each category.

Why am I doing this ?

I want to hear more music. I love music and I love discovering other people's music. I was that nerdy teen who went through other people's CD collections (and possibly secretly judged them as only a teenager can). The most important thing to note though is that Rikand started this so he gets some credit if it goes well and all the blame if it doesn't. :p

What kind of music am I into ?

All sorts. Genuinely all sorts. I like indie, rock, metal, dance, hip hop, country and classical. If there's a genre I probably have listened to it. That said, that doesn't mean I like everything; I'm contrary that way. As you'll see from my categories, I'm a sucker for decent lyrics. I also love a good instrumental. Mostly I love discovering new music and I love finding out why people like it too, so a lot of my categories are based around that.

So....submit songs that you love. I'm mostly doing this to find new music so songs/bands that I'm not familiar with will probably do well. I will judge - but not too harshly :D

Categories are:

1: Tell me a story: I love a good narrative in songs, songs that capture a moment or movement or just a person. Submit a song that tells a story.

2: Give me one moment in time: For me, music can transport me back to specific moments in time. Submit a song that evokes a memory for you and feel free to share what it is too if you like :)

3: In my hometown: I love a lot of Irish songwriters work and I think smaller artists with local fanbases can be amazing. Submit something from your hometown/country.

4: Where da Cheese At? : While I love lots of great music, there are also a few absolute choons that I realise are terribad and love them anyway. They can be silly/sad/sentimental. Doesn't matter. Submit your favourite fromage.

5: Just Like in the Movies: One of my favourite ways to discover new music is through movies. I've found some great bands through soundtracks. Submit a song from a soundtrack.

That's it for the categories. Please submit links to the songs - Spotify/YouTube etc. so that I can listen to them easily.
    The deadline for submissions is 20th July. My plan is to listen to them over the following week with the reveal taking place between from the 28th on, with a plan to do one category per night across that week.

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,010 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Definitely entering this but will have to wait until next week as I'm not sure if the songs will link from mobile.

I will endeavour to try though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭Ectoplasm

Necro wrote: »
    Definitely entering this but will have to wait until next week as I'm not sure if the songs will link from mobile.

I will endeavour to try though :D

No rush at all Necro. As long as they're in by closing date it's all good. :)

Yay another walrus!! I'm definitely entering. Already have one song in mind after a quick read through the topics. :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,010 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Ectoplasm wrote:
    No rush at all Necro. As long as they're in by closing date it's all good.

I actually tried to submit an entry there but the links to the songs wouldn't work so yeah itll have to wait :(

My initial planned entries will probably change between now and then though :pac:

I'll be in at some stage, I'm considering submitting my answers in single pms per category, its a head scratching one.

Most of the songs I like could be cheasy :D

• Advertisement

in minus 1 until i work it out :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,339 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

3 songs in mind for 3 of the cats. Other two very much undecided

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭osh

Entry in

Quiet Sunday? Time on your hands? Why not dig through the old record collection and pick a few tunes... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

I'm in thanks Ectoplasm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Im in!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

In, although I'm not overly happy with my movie song, I'll have to think on that one some more

The story question along with a spam email this morning reminded me that of a guy who will write a song for you. Great present, I got it for the OH one christmas, sent him off about 10 details and he came up with the song, brilliant

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭tusk

YES!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

I'm definitely submitting for this but it'll have to wait till I'm back from my holiday. I'll have a think over the weekend.

Just entered. Ecto that was great fun. Thanks for running. Can't wait for the reveal!

Mollyb60 wrote:
    I'm definitely submitting for this but it'll have to wait till I'm back from my holiday. I'll have a think over the weekend.

Ditto. Tried again via mobile but the stupid YouTube links won't play when I preview the message :(

I'll be dedicating Monday morning to entering this however

I keep changing my mind with my one moment in time choice. I start with a thought that’s drifting off to another memory, then another then another!

Done. Well, No2 was a trip :D

Woohoo. Came home to find some new entries in my inbox.

Plenty of time still left to enter :)

I've just entered. With big explanations for each. Sorry about that Ecto.

I found that really hard. Especially the last one. There's too many great movie songs. I decided to steer away from the absolute classics and I'm already regretting it! :D

• Advertisement

I did a tv soundtrack song. Hope that's ok

Finally got mine submitted!! So much effort on the phone. But really enjoyed picking the songs.

Looking forward to this reveal now, particularly the Cheese category.

Love me some Cheese :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,667 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

I've just entered. With big explanations for each. Sorry about that Ecto

I wanted to ask similar

Ecto - would you like explanations?
    And if you get them are you likely to copy them into the reveal?

I ask because in one case (out of one so far!) the best song, and the song with the best reason are different. If you'd like accompanying reasons it'll change my pick

I wanted to ask similar

Ecto - would you like explanations?
    And if you get them are you likely to copy them into the reveal?

I ask because in one case (out of one so far!) the best song, and the song with the best reason are different. If you'd like accompanying reasons it'll change my pick

I love an auld explanation but I wouldn't make them public unless I'm told it's ok to do so.

That said, explanations will help with rankings.

Think I'm up to around 8 entries now. Delighted :D

Ectoplasm wrote: »
    Think I'm up to around 8 entries now. Delighted :D

Oh yeah, I don't think I said anything. Song 2 and my reasoning permissible.

Song 3... best not :pac:

I told my whole life story :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭osh

I felt after I gave a reason for the memory one, I had to include something for all the others. Probably my ocd :o

• Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Ecto, feel free to do as you please with any explanation I gave. Hope my “movie” song is permissible

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭Clarabel

Submitted, because I am loving the music discovery on Rikard's thread - sharing is caring

Advertisement