Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clarification needed

• 23-05-2019 10:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭

So i just bought a new LG TV and I'm tuning in my channels via aerial but only the Irish ones are populating. It's been a long time since i didn't have cable or satellite TV. How do i go about getting the bbc channels etc?
    I was led to believe by the guy in store that they would tune in no problem.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭decor58

You will need a dish in most cases, unless you live near the border or in certain parts of the East coast.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

Thanks for replying. Is there an equivalent aerial that will do the same thing, or does it have to be a dish?

• Registered Users Posts: 80,795 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn

If you live near the border with NIRL possibly can be got with an aeriel, if not you need a dish.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

An alternative might be an IPTV provider.

If i go down the dish route (which seems like the best way), will this also receive the Irish channels? At the moment im only picking them up because i have the old style "ears" aerial on top of the TV. Ideally i would like to get rid of that as it can be unreliable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,912 ✭✭✭emaherx

If i go down the dish route (which seems like the best way), will this also receive the Irish channels? At the moment im only picking them up because i have the old style "ears" aerial on top of the TV. Ideally i would like to get rid of that as it can be unreliable.

Where are you based? Might get away with an outdoor aerial for all channels. (But most of the country won't)

Best for UK channels is satellite.
    Best for Irish is aerial.

You can get some Irish channels through SaorSat but it is a different satellite from the UK stations and setup is even more complicated than using separate dish and aerial. Virgin media channels not available for free via satellite anyway.

I'm based in Dublin. So would I have to get an aerial AND a satellite for the house?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,912 ✭✭✭emaherx

I'm based in Dublin. So would I have to get an aerial AND a satellite for the house?

Yes, I'd imagine that would be the best. Aerial won't need to be anything fancy as indoor aerial already works.

I'd expect a basic outdoor aerial to be less than €20 euro. It should also work in your attic if you'd prefer.

That's great. Thanks for the help. Will give that a go and see how I get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭winston_1

Does your new TV have an input for a satellite dish? If not you will need a satellite receiver as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭winston_1

I have the old style "ears" aerial on top of the TV. Ideally i would like to get rid of that as it can be unreliable.

Because Those are VHF aerials for DAB or FM radio, not suitable for UHF TV at all.

Advertisement