Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Now ye're talking - to a Nurse

• 08-02-2019 10:10am
    Boards.ie Employee Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Mark
    Boards.ie Employee

Our next guest is a nurse who would like to answer your questions and challenge common misconceptions about the nurse's strike and why it is happening.

She works as a children's nurse and has previously worked in the emergency department of a general hospital.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

First, thanks for the work that you do, I understand how demoralising it is to be understaffed and still be expected to provide the best care for your patients.

Is there any support for the idea of living-rate allowances so that nurses working in higher-cost places such as Dublin can be paid more than their country counterparts?

Has anybody complained to you about being called "Pet"?

• Site Banned Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Dakotabigone

What is your opinion on Simon Harris?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭vandriver

What's your basic pay,allowances and overtime.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭jay0109

Are restrictive working practices and Union 'rules' in our hospitals stopping any real reform of the health sector?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

Have you ever worked abroad or ever been tempted on going abroad?

• Advertisement

What are the main roster arrangements that you see amongst your colleagues and what are the %'s on each of them i.e. how many are on a 3 day week on long shifts

Do you know of any nurses who work full time for the HSE and also supplement that with agency nursing? How widespread is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

I gather that the salary for Nurses is well documented and laid out for all to see.
    So seeing as you had prior knowledge of the earnings potential was that a factor in your decision to become a nurse or did you not consider it.
    My mother was a nurse and I know how difficult of a job it is and I agree that they are underpaid.

Also to add my personal belief is that nurses who move abroad were always going to move abroad. They move for the experience of living abroad or make a lot more money and I don't think a raise would change this. What would be your opinion on that subject.

Do you acknowledge that Irish nurses are amongst the most highly paid in the world? And that is even before allowing for the pension benefits.

• Advertisement

jay0109 wrote: »
    Do you acknowledge that Irish nurses are amongst the most highly paid in the world? And that is even before allowing for the pension benefits.
    I think you'd have to include that Ireland is one of the most expensive places to live in the world (Think we are 15th most expensive) along with that statement

• Registered Users Posts: 20,171 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Nurses in Ireland enjoy a starting salary considerably greater than the average graduate salary. Salaries also increase relatively quickly, broadly in-line with other public sector roles to and well beyond the average industrial wage. It is true that salaries are much higher in Australia, but everything is much higher in Australia because of the huge boom there at the moment, largely because of the eye-watering amount of money the Chinese are printing.

Bottom line: I put it to you that wage increases are the Wrong Thing(TM) and won't solve the actual problems of overwork and short-staffing.

seannash wrote: »
    I think you'd have to include that Ireland is one of the most expensive places to live in the world (Think we are 15th most expensive) along with that statement

Dublin is expensive, Sligo and Castlebar a lot less so.

Sydney, Melbourne and London are right up there with Dublin but a lot of nurses heading that direction still.

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Mark
    Boards.ie Employee

Mod Note: Just going to jump in to say that this thread should be used to pose questions to our guest. The thread in After Hours would be better suited for general discussion: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057944444

• Registered Users Posts: 20,171 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Mod Note: Just going to jump in to say that this thread should be used to pose questions to our guest. The thread in After Hours would be better suited for general discussion: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057944444

I have a general question for our guest, viz. "Do you think that wage increases are the Wrong Thing(TM) and won't solve the actual problems of overwork and short-staffing?"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Bummer1234 wrote: »
    Have you ever worked abroad or ever been tempted on going abroad?

Just to add, if so, how did the role compare to the job in Ireland? Conditions? Levels of responsibility?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,228 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

jimgoose wrote: »
    I have a general question for our guest, viz. "Do you think that wage increases are the Wrong Thing(TM) and won't solve the actual problems of overwork and short-staffing?"

i would like to see how a nurse thinks wage increases will fix anything as well

• Registered Users Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Hello. Do you think school leavers today regard Nursing as an attractive profession to enter and does it still have the same kind of status as a job that it had twenty or thirty years ago particularly among those from rural Ireland?
    Also, would you say that there are a sufficient number of nurses graduating each year to fill the available number of positions in the public health service?
    Finally, sorry for being so long winded, approximately how many of your colleagues are a) male and b) non - Irish?
    Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,489 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Do you think it was a good idea to do an AMA at this time when considerations of nurses are heavily influenced by the ongoing strike?

Was that a motivation in doing the AMA?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,212 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Why do you think striking for more pay will solve understaffing issues, where in fact it does the opposite, it increases the opex on existing salaries reducing the number of further staff that can be hired.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭easygoing1982

Is it true most nurses are really living in poverty. I follow a nurse on instagram and she's constantly posting with her colleagues pics of nights out/holidays etc.

How can nurses expect restoration of pay without everyone else in the public sector getting theirs aswell. Do nurses really think the country can afford it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Why do you believe you deserve more money now when your Union signed up to the current wage agreement?

If the government give you more money, you'll have all the other Unions crying me too! So why do you believe you deserve more money than all your public service colleagues? Why not look for increased staffing levels which will lighten your load?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Duffryman

Assuming that there's only so much money to go round, and that we can't magic up some more of it to give nurses a pay rise, has the INMO or anybody else ever done a detailed proposal as to where money could be found to fund a pay raise?

If so, what exact cuts or budget freezes would it entail in the other areas that would be affected?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,031 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Where do you see yourself in 5 years?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,416 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Hello. Do you think the HSE is inefficient?

What do you think can be done to help keep nurses trained here from going abroad?

Do you think the location of the new children's hospital is a good place for it or do you think a greenfield site might have been better?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,574 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

How awful is the HSE and should it be done away with?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Do you think that the money issue has consumed the current action going on? What the nurses want is much more important than just a wage but that is being lost by the demand for a salary increase .

Would it be best if we introduce a mandatory term of service for those going into nursing which can be bought out at any time? That way we could address the amount of nurses goong abroad and servicing other countries off the back of our tax payer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭John Hutton

Do you think the questions here are rabidly right wing and anti worker in comparison to your experiences on the picket line and dealing with the public in general?

Good luck with the strike

• Registered Users Posts: 8,030 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

You certainly can't be accused of being a chatterbox anyway nurse!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Do you like Coppers? Can I find a nurse there?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement