Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Abortion Discussion, Part Trois

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Ye gods, that lady is out of her depth in saucer.

Thought that van at 10:45 was going to reverse over her too.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Properly on-topic, although it was indicated that Ms. Jordan would file an appeal, I see no reportage of same.

Is it actually possible she gave up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Under His Eye

Need to wait 21 days to see if an appeal is lodged.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,823 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

It was reported at the time it had to be lodged by last Friday.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,536 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Need to wait 21 days to see if an appeal is lodged.

Then it seems Ms Jordan may have only 12 calendar days left [from midnight tonight] to lodge an appeal if the limit is 21 days and its clock started ticking on Mon the 27th Aug, the day of judgement.

However, the Appeal Court put a stay on its decision until Friday the 31st Aug which would imply a deadline for something to be done to further delay the judgement. I got the impression that by then either Ms Jordan or her legal people were obliged to inform the court service by Friday 31st Aug of her Yes or No intent and the calendar clock might not have started ticking until end of court business that day.

Irish Times, 27th August online edition - After dismissing the appeal the court placed a stay on its decision pending an appeal to the Supreme Court until Friday 31st. It is understood Ms Jordan intends appealing the court’s decision against her lost appeal.

Edit. It's actually amazing that only 9 days have passed since judgement as it seems longer with the way events around the world are being reported on the world timescale.

• Advertisement

Harking back to my mention of Renua Ireland, the party is running a candidate [Neil O'Mahony] in the east Galway local elections on pillar 5 [the nation state and the constitution] of the party's 6 pillars. I think we better hurry up and get the constitution fixed before they get into power again.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

https://twitter.com/JJ5000/status/1038044687498653696?s=19

She has since deleted the Tweet, but people I trust on Twitter know that it's her account, so it looks like she's been formally denied leave for appeal, and that's it, it's over.

Official confirmation won't come through till next week probably.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

Today is the 35th anniversary of the vote to introduce the 8th amendment.

This feels like closure at long last.

Life ain't always empty.

When is El Presidente signing the bill?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,101 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

It has to go through the dail first

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

It has to go through the dail first

He has to sign the referendum Bill first. Then the abortion Bill debates can start.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

Sometime during the week. Will be an absolute honor for him, I'm sure. Has been fighting against it for a long time before he became President.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,912 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

mrkiscool2 wrote: »
    Sometime during the week. Will be an absolute honor for him, I'm sure. Has been fighting against it for a long time before he became President.

Is this typically televised? Would like to see it and capture the video.

I would imagine the signing will be recorded and played on the news that day given the significance of the event.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

seamus wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/JJ5000/status/1038044687498653696?s=19

She has since deleted the Tweet, but people I trust on Twitter know that it's her account, so it looks like she's been formally denied leave for appeal, and that's it, it's over.

Official confirmation won't come through till next week probably.

Boasting about filibustering again? Utterly shameless.

ETA: original tweet (or a duplicate of it) still seems to be live.
    https://twitter.com/JoannaJ_Ireland/status/1038034108037951490

• Registered Users Posts: 15,978 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

alaimacerc wrote: »
    Boasting about filibustering again? Utterly shameless.

ETA: original tweet (or a duplicate of it) still seems to be live.
    https://twitter.com/JoannaJ_Ireland/status/1038034108037951490

Has all this legal silly buggers actually delayed the introduction of abortion by one day? The government line has always been that the services would come on line early in the New Year and AFAIK that is still on target. My understanding is that nothing could have happened legislatively for the past couple of months anyway because the Dail was on holidays...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,980 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Igotadose wrote: »
    Is this typically televised? Would like to see it and capture the video.

it will be on the news. rte, and probably virgin media if they still do news. other then that, signings aren't televised.
    Has all this legal silly buggers actually delayed the introduction of abortion by one day? The government line has always been that the services would come on line early in the New Year and AFAIK that is still on target. My understanding is that nothing could have happened legislatively for the past couple of months anyway because the Dail was on holidays...

that is my understanding as well.

shut down alcohol action ireland now! end MUP today!

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/ireland/anti-abortion-group-to-target-women-during-three-day-window-80s8dw0dc

Some indication of the pro-lifers 'fightback' plans here. I don't see how they're going to be able to 'target' individual women seeking abortion during the three-day waiting period though...

The waiting period is a farce and should be removed.

Life ain't always empty.

• Advertisement

The fact that the damned amendment hasn't been removed from the Constitution by now is really annoying. The Dail should be taking that up this week ffs.

The Dail did their bit way back when the referendum bill was passed. It doesn't go back before them again (what if they voted against ratifying an amendment the people had passed?)

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

The vellum is on the way to the president for signature.

Just on RTE 1 Radio, Michael D has signed the 36th amendment into law. The 8th amendment is now gone into history.

Yes! A GREAT day for Ireland!

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2018/0918/994438-cabinet/

:):):) Yay!

Disappointing that that crap lasted 35 years, but thank feck it's finally gone.

Life ain't always empty.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Disappointing that that crap lasted 35 years, but thank feck it's finally gone.

Now the fun begins with legislation,
    just watch the no side restart their PR machine,

Cabaal wrote: »
    Now the fun begins with legislation,
    just watch the no side restart their PR machine,

Nothing of substance they can do about the legislation. Vast majority of TDs are committed to supporting the proposals set out by Simon Harris before the referendum. I suspect they'll barely even bother lobbying.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,951 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Nothing of substance they can do about the legislation. Vast majority of TDs are committed to supporting the proposals set out by Simon Harris before the referendum. I suspect they'll barely even bother lobbying.

I expect that, as ever, they'll quietly move their previously unassailable barriers of what they are actually opposed to, and just set them up again a little further back and act as though that's what they were fighting against all along.

IOW their new battle will be all about conscientious objection.

• Advertisement

The waiting period is a farce and should be removed.

Seems like you're not the only one thinking this way
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/health/doctor-fears-on-abortion-pause-37332018.html

I reckon the waiting period was part of the broader 'don't frighten the horses' approach that (reasonably at the time) thought necessary to getting repeal past 'middle Ireland.' If they knew the referendum result was such a foregone conclusion I doubt it would have been proposed but it looks like they're stuck with it now...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement