Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

They're Alive!!!

• 02-07-2018 5:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭

After being trapped in the caves for 9 days, the Thai schoolkids have just been found alive.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-44688909

No idea how long it will take to actually get them out of the caves. But, given that most people were probably giving up hope at this stage, it's great to actually have some "good news" story to compete with the usual brexit/trump/terrorism horror stories that dominate the international news so much these days

I would love to know how they survived. Doubt they had much in terms of food/clothing/drinking water. Perhaps the water in the caves was safe for drinking, and was neither too warm, nor too cold?

Should we take bets on who will be the first to make a reference to Father ted?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

dotsman wrote: »
    After being trapped in the caves for 9 days, the Thai schoolkids have just been found alive.

No idea how long it will take to actually get them out of the caves. But, given that most people were probably giving up hope at this stage, it's great to actually have some "good news" story to compete with the usual brexit/trump/terrorism horror stories that dominate the international news so much these days

I would love to know how they survived. Doubt they had much in terms of food/clothing/drinking water. Perhaps the water in the caves was safe for drinking, and was neither too warm, nor too cold?

I saw that earlier. Didn't think there was much hope left for them to be honest.

From what I understand they had a little food and water with them and the temperatures in the caves (if I remember correctly) was something between 19 and 21 or so.

Great news

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Great news. I had begun to think it was looking hopeless.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rhyme

Just read that all who went in are still safe. That's one theory of their survival out the window.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

that's made my day. what amazing news!!!!!

fair dues to the rescuers

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,614 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Wow that's great, nice to see a bit of good news

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Jim Bob Scratcher

"I don't believe it"

Great news though.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Wonderful relief.. Praise be.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

They spent 8days on a bender in Phuket and snuck in the back entrance.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,073 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Nice news to hear very lucky I'd say their story will be interesting to hear once they're up to telling it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,221 ✭✭✭✭gammygils

Let's see who can screech the loudest........

Great News though

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Great news

Is this the first thread in years, no one is triggered, outraged or offended?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,644 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

dotsman wrote: »

Thanks for posting good news, on any subject. I was hoping this is what it'd be when I saw the thread title.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

What are they little frankensteins?!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,812 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

They aren't safe yet. It's going to be so difficult to get them out through the totally flooded passageways.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Poochie05

I saw a report yesterday that the divers were close to the area they thought they were in. 'Close' was 3 km away.
    Imagine having to travel 3 km underwater, even with breathing apparatus, that's some swim!

Poochie05 wrote: »
    Imagine having to travel 3 km underwater, even with breathing apparatus, that's some swim!

Actually not that bad at all, lots of sports divers would do that regularly.

It's the whole cave thing that makes it so dangerous and arduous. Cave diving comes with lots of it's own challenges (stirring up silt being a big one) that make it very very dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,105 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Poochie05 wrote: »
    I saw a report yesterday that the divers were close to the area they thought they were in. 'Close' was 3 km away.

apparently they swam in, dropped tanks, went back and got more tanks. Each time they did this they'd go a bit further to drop more tanks. So they created all these staging areas.

I know the kinds are safe but jesus this is going to be a traumatic experience. Imagine being trapped in the dark for that long.

Discodog wrote: »
    They aren't safe yet. It's going to be so difficult to get them out through the totally flooded passageways.

Yeah but I guess at least if they have been located and people can get to them and get supplies to them it will help a lot. Poor feckers must be starving at this stage I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Meanwhile in the Philippines :

kids compessor diving for gold :

• Registered Users Posts: 20,407 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Starvin.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Malayalam

Oh crikey, are they not actually out yet? They have to swim underwater for a few miles?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Sycamore Tree

Great story. Delighted for them. I do a bit of caving and I was pessimistic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Malayalam

https://twitter.com/ABC/status/1013853984904433664

there's a video there, gives a very idea of their circumstances, I don't know how to make it embed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Pero_Bueno

Nice to see a good news story

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Malayalam wrote: »
    Oh crikey, are they not actually out yet? They have to swim underwater for a few miles?

Hopefully the waters recede soon and they can walk out. There may also be the tunnel option. I believe they dug a tunnel into another part of the cave system.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭dotsman

As you look at the RTE's timeline, it really has the hallmarks of a Hollywood movie (albeit with american kids no doubt!).

https://www.rte.ie/news/2018/0702/975882-thailand-cave-rescue/

When you look at how difficult it was (and, in the last few days, how unlikely it was going to have a happy ending), the families must currently be experiencing levels of joy and elevation no drug could ever hope to give.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

I feel claustrophobic thinking about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Stigura

there's a video there, gives a very idea of their circumstances.

Fcuk You!!! I was sitting here, Enjoying my dinner. Now, it's fcuking choking me, as I try to see it through these tears!

https://twitter.com/ABC/status/1013853984904433664

there's a video there, gives a very idea of their circumstances, I don't know how to make it embed.

I find that video both incredibly uplifting and moving. Myself and my wife virtually high-fived each other when we heard the news. Great kids.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

Chilean Miners; The Sequel.

Advertisement