Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What to do during hosepipe ban?

• 30-06-2018 11:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 19,646 ✭✭✭✭

Perhaps a stupid qn but is there anything that can be done to try help a garden when the hosepipe ban is in force and you can’t water ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Grey water... Put a few buckets under yer shower in the morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

My grass is yellow. Just going to bear it.
    It will rain again in Ireland and all will return to normal.

I'd let it suffer / go brown. It'll be grand again in a few weeks. Anything that requires more than a gallon or two out of a watering can at night cant be done much for Imo

• Registered Users Posts: 19,646 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Yes that’s fair enough we spent a lot getting the garden done last year I’m just loath to let things die !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Few water butts of rain water.
    They come up cheap on Aldi from time to time. I think I have 500l between the two off a small shed roof.
    They don't be long filling up when there's a shower.

I won't last long if you're watering a lawn (grass is remarkably resilient anyway) but for the fruit and veg it's a life saver without going near a tap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,206 ✭✭✭standardg60

To be honest I think it's great news, there's way too much water being wasted hosing down a garden which does very little to benefit plants anyway. All established lawns and plants will recover anyway, and newly planted plants are much better served by applying a full watering can (rose removed) directly to the roots two or three times a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

I don't care what they say. I'll play with my hosepipe anytime I feel like it l.

To be honest I think it's great news, there's way too much water being wasted hosing down a garden which does very little to benefit plants anyway. All established lawns and plants will recover anyway, and newly planted plants are much better served by applying a full watering can (rose removed) directly to the roots two or three times a week.

Good advice there. Also you should consider a couple of water butts for the future. We’ve got 2 and are still using them for vulnerable plants especially those in tubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,783 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Grass is a very resilient plant, a few weeks of little or no rain will be fine, don't waste expensively treated water on it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Frynge

I have an automatic watering system for all the hanging baskets and pots. Does this have to be turned off during the hosepipe ban?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

I've used about half my water butt. Could have done with a second one but this weather is not normal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,783 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Frynge wrote:
    I have an automatic watering system for all the hanging baskets and pots. Does this have to be turned off during the hosepipe ban?

Technically, probably yes

Frynge wrote: »

If you have those little drip feed spikes inserted in the compost I would call that very sensible water management

I don't care what they say. I'll play with my hosepipe anytime I feel like it l.

I'll put you in the same bracket as the woman I saw power hosing the public path outside her house for at least an hour the other day. Some people will never understand the concept of social responsibility no matter what.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭KaneToad

I'll put you in the same bracket as the woman I saw power hosing the public path outside her house for at least an hour the other day. Some people will never understand the concept of social responsibility no matter what.

Whoosh...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,282 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Patww79 wrote: »
    Fill a watering can repeatedly in the kitchen. That's what I'll be doing for my herbs, lawn, and flowers anyway.

Hose pipe ban isn’t literal it means you can’t use water for non essential uses, you’d still be breaking the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,282 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Patww79 wrote: »
    Cheers, didn't know the exact wording. If that's the case I may just replace what dies after so.

Don’t know the technical terms but they were talking about it on the radio yesterday

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

if you need to water pots outdoors, stand them in an inch of water for half an hour, instead of watering from above. far less likely to waste water that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭emeldc

I washed the van last night using the power hose and water from the water butt. In Kilkenny the rain water from the butt is cleaner than the tap water anyway. But so as to not 'waste' any water I drove the van onto to the lawn :)

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Lockheed

As a kitchen porter/dishwasher I kinda laugh at the prospect of a hosepipe ban. I'd say we use more water in a day then most houses would in a week. The hosepipe ban is unnecessary and only serves to remove more personal freedoms

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭august12

emeldc wrote:
    I washed the van last night using the power hose and water from the water butt. In Kilkenny the rain water from the butt is cleaner than the tap water anyway. But so as to not 'waste' any water I drove the van onto to the lawn

I love it, fair play.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

salmocab wrote: »
    Hose pipe ban isn’t literal it means you can’t use water for non essential uses, you’d still be breaking the law.

No, using a watering can is allowed according to a spokesperson from Irish Water who was on The Last Word Today FM yesterday. Same goes for using a bucket of water and a sponge to clean your car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Frynge

If you have those little drip feed spikes inserted in the compost I would call that very sensible water management

That's exactly what I have and I can turn off any points that aren't currently in a pot or basket.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,289 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

A hosepipe ban is virtually unenforceable from what I can see. It is up to people to be socially responsible. For example if I am using grey water from my kids bath I would be likely to use a hosepipe to spread it thereby looking like a gouger to the casual observer.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,571 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    A hosepipe ban is vitually unenforceable from what I can see. It is up to people to be socially responsible. For example if I am using grey water from my kids bath I would be likely to use a hosepipe to spread it thereby looking like a gouger to the casual observer.

I have no intention of breaking this ban, but I don't quite understand - did Irish Water make a new law here? Are they allowed make laws? How can anyone tell if I'm hosing the lawn or not? If a neighbour is watching out the back to see if I am doing it - which itself raises many questions - is it not his word against mine?

All a bit mental.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    I have no intention of breaking this ban, but I don't quite understand - did Irish Water make a new law here? Are they allowed make laws?
    no, they did not make a new law, and they are not allowed make laws. the law they are basing the hosepipe ban on already exists.

section 56 (16) of the water services 2007 act:
    (16) Where a water services authority is of the opinion that a serious deficiency of water available for distribution exists or is likely to exist in all or part of its functional area, either by itself or by another provider of water services, then it may by order, for a specified period, prohibit or restrict such class or classes of use, including use at specified times of the day, of any water supplied by it or the other provider of water services. Without prejudice to the generality of the foregoing, an order under this subsection may so prohibit or restrict the use of water—

(a) drawn through a hosepipe or similar apparatus for the purpose of—

(i) watering a garden,

(ii) watering recreational parks or sports grounds, either generally or any particular type of such park or ground,

(iii) irrigating or spraying crops, either generally or any particular type of crop, or

(iv) washing a mechanically propelled vehicle or a trailer,

(b) used for the provision of a commercial washing service for a vehicle or trailer, or

(c) used for filling or replenishing a swimming pool, artificial pond, lake or similar application.
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2007/act/30/section/56/enacted/en/html#sec56

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,367 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Patww79 wrote:

Ban or not she was being an irresponsible twat.

Advertisement