Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

golden state killer arrested

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Specialun wrote: »
    looks like a break through in this well known case

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-43899483

So well known that I've no idea wtf you're on about. Would it kill you to include a bit of info outside of just a link. It's lazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭minikin

No wonder they didn't catch him at the time, the 'suspect' posters are far too young looking... sure he's seventy two!

_101041903_mediaitem101041902.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭Specialun

Omackeral wrote: »
    So well known that I've no idea wtf you're on about. Would it kill you to include a bit of info outside of just a link. It's lazy.

the golden state killer was arrested..its that simple really. just because you dont know of it doesnt mean that others do not

fcuk sake pal

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

I wonder did he actually stop in 1986

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

Getting to serial killer levels of fame is surely at a point where you gain admirers and fascination from the public. To kill so many and not get caught, it is pretty interesting I must say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Anyone interested in this case should listen to the Casefile podcast episodes on the East Area Rapist. Absolutely compelling listening. Can’t believe they may have found him after all these years

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

Getting to serial killer levels of fame is surely at a point where you gain admirers and fascination from the public. To kill so many and not get caught, it is pretty interesting I must say.

It's pretty impressive

• Registered Users Posts: 4,203 ✭✭✭sonic85

Hope he has an extremely slow and painful death

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Seems unlikely that he killed and raped so many people for a decade and then just completely stopped for the next 40 odd years

• Registered Users Posts: 10,220 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

There was a recent book about it, a writer Michelle McNamara, seems to have drawn attention back to it, she did her own research.

She sadly died very young maybe 2 years ago? She was married to the comedian Patton Oswalt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

Was that the zodiac case ?

TomSweeney wrote: »
    Was that the zodiac case ?

No

• Registered Users Posts: 8,094 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

He is also confirmed to be the Visalia ransacker which has long been a theory and was working as a police officer while he was committing those offenses. His crimes seem to have escalated to rape and eventually murder once he was fired from the police.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭SouthernBelle

Series "on the trail" of this guy advertised on Discovery, starting this Friday at 10pm. Will definitely be watching it now!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

EPAndlee wrote: »
    It's pretty impressive

I guess he knew how to get away with it. As he was a cop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭Chaos Tourist

I read the BBC link, what a seriously disturbing case. Hopefully scientists find the psychopath gene someday, whatever else it's called or do other things and eliminate it. It's either that or better technology/security because these fcukers are still going to be born and carry out atrocities.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭LETHAL LADY

The two recent serial documentaries (It's Not Over and Unmasking a Killer) which I'd binge watched knowing very little about him must have helped in his capture.

A really frightening individual who deserves far worse than the prison sentence he'll get.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Omackeral wrote: »

Here you go:D.

California police have arrested a former police officer for a notorious spree of murders, rapes and burglaries in the 1970s and 80s.

"Sacramento police say they arrested suspect Joseph James DeAngelo, 72.

The suspect has been living in the Sacramento area and was identified after new efforts to solve the case, investigators say.

Police blame the so-called Golden State Killer for 12 murders, 51 rapes and more than 120 burglaries.

Mr DeAngelo is being held on suspicion of four counts of murder - the 1978 deaths of Brian and Katie Maggiore in Sacramento and the 1980 killings of Charlene and Lyman Smith in Ventura County.

Prosecutors say additional charges are likely to follow."

job seeker wrote: »
    I guess he knew how to get away with it. As he was a cop.

Living in the area where the vast majority of the rapes were committed. You couldn't make it up!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭greencap

Specialun wrote: »
    the golden state killer was arrested..its that simple really. just because you dont know of it doesnt mean that others do not

fcuk sake pal

Ohh the *GOOOLDEN* state killer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

Living in the area where the vast majority of the rapes were committed. You couldn't make it up!

Unbelievable. As disturbing as this is. I still love watching these types of documentaries. If only it came out on netflix..

job seeker wrote: »
    Unbelievable. As disturbing as this is. I still love watching these types of documentaries. If only it came out on netflix..

I watched them on UK Turk's addon. It has everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭drugstore cowboy

I read the BBC link, what a seriously disturbing case. Hopefully scientists find the psychopath gene someday, whatever else it's called or do other things and eliminate it. It's either that or better technology/security because these fcukers are still going to be born and carry out atrocities.

There's nothing illegal about being a psychopath and experts seem to agree that many psychopaths contribute to society in high pressure jobs and don't all go and commit the crimes of the now arrested EARONS or a Ted Bundy.

It's understandable in cases like these to be emotional but kind of alarming to hear stuff like 'eliminate the gene' or say the 'fcukers will still be born'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭RichT

Michelle McNamara's prophetic "Letter to an Old Man"

DbogQY7X0AE6ni3.jpg:large

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭drugstore cowboy

Birneybau wrote: »
    There was a recent book about it, a writer Michelle McNamara, seems to have drawn attention back to it, she did her own research.

She sadly died very young maybe 2 years ago? She was married to the comedian Patton Oswalt.

The book was good for people new to the case but after reading previous books on the case and going down the rabbit hole on forums dedicated to the case I found nothing new in her book. The recent made for tv 5 part documentary was more interesting to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

I read a statistic before that 75% of the world's known serial killers are in the US. Crazy stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭Chaos Tourist

There's nothing illegal about being a psychopath and experts seem to agree that many psychopaths contribute to society in high pressure jobs and don't all go and commit the crimes of the now arrested EARONS or a Ted Bundy.

It's understandable in cases like these to be emotional but kind of alarming to hear stuff like 'eliminate the gene' or say the 'fcukers will still be born'

They're mostly human trash though, predators. Don't fall for the politically correct spinning. Granted, some of them do live relatively normal lives.

Overall, they're more trouble than they're worth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

They're mostly human trash though, predators. Don't fall for the politically correct spinning. Granted, some of them do live relatively normal lives.

Overall, they're more trouble than they're worth.

I think you'd find the vast minority are actually a danger to society.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

The vast majority of psychopaths are not dangerous, and the vast majority of dangerous violent individuals are not psychopaths - they're just assholes!

It's reckoned that at least 1% of the worlds population is psychopathic. 1 in every 100 people, at least - you probably know a few and they most likely don't have a bunch of dead hookers under the patio.

Advertisement