Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Go-Ahead Dublin City Routes - Updates and Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭thomasj

No timetables yet but statement on the TFI website about the next takover of routes next sunday. says timetables will be up early next week.
    https://www.transportforireland.ie/go-ahead-ireland/

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,565 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Summary of changes
    Route 17 Blackrock to Rialto via University College Dublin (UCD) & Dundrum
    Route 17 will continue to operate every half hour and serves the following key locations along its routing: Blackrock DART Station, UCD campus, Dundrum, Nutgrove, Terenure, Kimmage, Dolphin’s Barn and Rialto. There are additional morning peak departures on Monday to Friday and one additional morning and evening departure on Sundays.

The routing of the service remains unchanged from that operated by Dublin Bus, however for clarity new route numbers have been introduced as follows:

17 – Blackrock to Rialto Via UCD
    17C – Blackrock to Rialto Not Via UCD
    17D – Dundrum to Rialto

Route 104 Clontarf DART Station to Dublin City University (DCU)
    Route 104 has a minor route change and will terminate at Clontarf DART Station rather than Clontarf Bus Garage.
    Route 104 will continue to serve the following key locations along its routing:

Clontarf DART Station, Killester, Artane, Beaumont Hospital Campus, Shantalla Road, Collins Avenue and DCU Campus.

The timetable has been re-designed to better integrate with Route 220.

Route 114 Blackrock DART Station to Rockview
    The routing of Route 114 remains unchanged and some additional peak and off peak services have been added to the timetable with departures every forty minutes. In addition, a new Sunday service will also be introduced.

The timetable has been re-designed to better integrate with DART Services at Blackrock DART Station.

Route 114 serves the following key locations: Blackrock DART Station, UCD Smurfit, Newtownpark Avenue, Whites Cross, Sandyford Industrial Estate, Lambs Cross and Rockview.

Route 161 Dundrum to Rockbrook
    The routing of the 161 remains unchanged, however the number of weekday departures has been doubled from 4 to 8.

Route 161 serves the following key locations: Rockbrook, Ballyboden, Whitechurch, Marlay Park, Nutgrove and Dundrum Village and Luas.

Route 220 Dublin City University (DCU) to Lady’s Well Road

The routing of Route 220 remains unchanged apart from being extended from Ballymun to serve the DCU Campus.
    One journey per day will continue to operate via Coolmine Fire Station, this will be renumbered 220A for clarity.

Route 220 operates hourly and serves the following key locations: DCU Campus, Ballymun, Finglas Village, Ballycoolin, National Aquatic Centre, Connolly Hospital Campus, Blanchardstown Shopping Centre and Lady’s Well Road.

Route 236 Blanchardstown Shopping Centre to Damastown IBM
    Route 236 operates a Monday to Friday timetable and an additional 3 departures have been added to make a total of six departures in each direction. These three new services will be renumbered 236A to distinguish from its more direct routing between Tyrrelstown and Blanchardstown Shopping Centre.

There is a slight change to the routing of Route 236 at Tyrrelstown Stop 6005. Plaza Apartments will now be served to match the routing of Route 238 in this area.

Route 236 serves the following key locations: Blanchardstown Shopping Centre, National Aquatic Centre, Ballycoolin Business Park, Corporate Park, Cruise Park and Damastown IBM.

Route 238 Lady’s Well Road to Tyrrelstown
    Route 238 will continue to operate an hourly service seven days a week.

The routing of the 238 remains unchanged and serves the following key locations: Lady’s Well Road, Blanchardstown Shopping Centre, National Aquatic Centre, Corporate Park, Cruise Park and Tyrrelstown.

Route 239 Blanchardstown Shopping Centre to Liffey Valley Shopping Centre
    Route 239 has an improved timetable. There will be additional departures with hourly weekday operations. Saturday service will commence operations earlier in the day and will run until later.

The routing of the 239 remains unchanged and serves the following key locations: Blanchardstown Shopping Centre, Clonsilla Station, Lucan Village, Arthur Griffith Park, Castle Road, Fonthill Retail Park and Liffey Valley Shopping Centre.

Route 270 Dunboyne to Blanchardstown Shopping Centre
    Route 270 will continue to operate hourly Monday to Friday, Saturday and Sunday. There have been a few minor timetable changes to better integrate with Dublin Bus Route 70 between Dunboyne and Littlepace. Two additional services in each direction have been added on Sunday mornings.

The routing of Route 270 remains unchanged and serves the following key locations: Dunboyne Village, Dunboyne Station, Clonee Village, Littlepace and Blanchardstown Shopping Centre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

No mention of the 17 journies on Saturdays that serve Vicent's Hospital are these being kept or gotten rid of I wonder? Also why are they using 17c and 17d but not 17b is 17b reserved for a variant of the 17a. Personally I think the 17a should given a different number as it has no connection with the 17.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,459 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

devnull wrote: »
    however for clarity new route numbers have been introduced as follows

That has got to be the complete opposite, reducing clarity by getting people confused now that both north and southside 17 routes have letters. Time to renumber the northside 17A.
    There have been a few minor timetable changes to better integrate with Dublin Bus Route 70 between Dunboyne and Littlepace.

More nonsense. Dunboyne-Littlepace journeys aren't that frequent nor have that much demand to remove the 270's old clockwork timetable.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

A thorough re-design of the timetable for the 114 when aligned with the DART sounds good to me. Also the confirmation of a new Sunday service is very encouraging to increase demand of the route on the weekends. The biggest changes needed on the timetable are the M-F evening peak times because they are currently woeful when they depart Blackrock DART Station with Dublin Bus.

I cannot understand though what's the purpose of the 17 when it's going to be split up to 3 separate route numbers by GAI. It going to make a lot of the passengers confused when the timetable is released online soon. I don't what the reaction from it's passengers will be if the route to St Vincent's Hospital is not featured in the new timetable. The frequency of the 47 at the current time is not great for passengers to use at any time of the day. I think the best thing most people can do when the new 17 timetable is released is to get off the 17 at the UCD Flyover & walk down along the N11 past RTÉ down to St Vincent's Hosp.

The only thing is that if you're elderly & use the 17 to/from St Vincent's Hosp. Your only choice then is getting a bus from Blackrock down to/from the Hospital.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 100 ✭✭obby1

GA's failure to recruit drivers has meant DB have had to hold onto the 18 route, this has forced the delay of the much need 155 along the stillorgan road.

A thorough re-design of the timetable for the 114 when aligned with the DART sounds good to me. Also the confirmation of a new Sunday service is very encouraging to increase demand of the route on the weekends. The biggest changes needed on the timetable are the M-F evening peak times because they are currently woeful when they depart Blackrock DART Station with Dublin Bus.

I cannot understand though what's the purpose of the 17 when it's going to be split up to 3 separate route numbers by GAI. It going to make a lot of the passengers confused when the timetable is released online soon. I don't what the reaction from it's passengers will be if the route to St Vincent's Hospital is not featured in the new timetable. The frequency of the 47 at the current time is not great for passengers to use at any time of the day. I think the best thing most people can do when the new 17 timetable is released is to get off the 17 at the UCD Flyover & walk down along the N11 past RTÉ down to St Vincent's Hosp.

The only thing is that if you're elderly use the 17 to St Vincent's Hosp. Your only choice then is getting a bus from Blackrock down to the Hospital.

I think the 114 will benefit from having a consistent hourly service throughout the course of the day as there are a number of gaps in the timetable over the course of the day where the service has a worse than hourly frequency eg there is a bus at 12:10 but the next one isn't until 1:30 a 1hr20 gap also the last bus is at 9:30 as opposed to 11:30.

17d appears to be reserved for short workings to Dundrum these appear to be something new to the 17 timetable so perhaps it's similar to city centre short working being marked as c eg the 14c. It does seem a bit confusing alright but also over the last number of months the 17 has been unable to use the Owenstown Park entrance to UCD meaning it has to loop back around on the N11 this seems like something that must cost time on the journey.

I don't know if there's a good reason for it but what's the point on the 17 terminating at Vincent's as it's only once a week a Saturdays that seems pretty useless to most people who'd need to use the hospital. Also most hospital appointments would be during the week so why do this diversion on Saturdays?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭p_haugh

Stephen15 wrote: »
    No mention of the 17 journies on Saturdays that serve Vicent's Hospital are these being kept or gotten rid of I wonder? Also why are they using 17c and 17d but not 17b is 17b reserved for a variant of the 17a. Personally I think the 17a should given a different number as it has no connection with the 17.

The stops that the 17 serves on the route to Vincent's all have the new TFI bus flag on them. As well as this, there is routes marked for St. Vincent's on the journey planner.

They obviously haven't mentioned it in the press release but it should still be operating.

obby1 wrote: »
    GA's failure to recruit drivers has meant DB have had to hold onto the 18 route, this has forced the delay of the much need 155 along the stillorgan road.

Where'd you hear this from?

p_haugh wrote: »
    Where'd you hear this from?

talking to a 145 driver i know, the stillorgan road is a mess, needs extra buses, the 155 was supposed to be launched 20 jan, but has been put back as GA can't take on the 18 as dont have enough drivers

• Advertisement

talking to a 145 driver i know, the stillorgan road is a mess, needs extra buses, the 155 was supposed to be launched 20 jan, but has been put back as GA can't take on the 18 as dont have enough drivers

Well if that's the case lets hope it doesn't get delayed by too long

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭xper

Route 17 Blackrock to Rialto via University College Dublin (UCD) & Dundrum
    Route 17 will continue to operate every half hour and serves the following key locations along its routing: Blackrock DART Station, UCD campus, Dundrum, Nutgrove, Terenure, Kimmage, Dolphin’s Barn and Rialto. There are additional morning peak departures on Monday to Friday and one additional morning and evening departure on Sundays.
    This is extremely disappointing if true and nothing like the increased frequency touted a couple of pages back. The late evening and Sunday service on this route is a joke. Has there been a scale back of plans due to lack of drivers or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭SG317

There is a notice on stop 2086 along Nutley Lane, that from January 20th 2019 route 17 will no longer serve St. Vincent's Hospital, and that it will be operated by Go Ahead Ireland. Also I suspect that the 17D buses, will perhaps be interworked with the 161 and thus this is the reason for the new 17D.

SG317 wrote: »
    There is a notice on stop 2086 along Nutley Lane, that from January 20th 2019 route 17 will no longer serve St. Vincent's Hospital, and that it will be operated by Go Ahead Ireland. Also I suspect that the 17D buses, will perhaps be interworked with the 161 and thus this is the reason for the new 17D.

Must have been a last minute decision as they've had the TFI Bus flag on those stops since the start of December.

The 18 has been penciled in for some time to launch as part of the last phase of the transfer, along with the 76 and 76A which takes place on the 10th February.

This schedule has been in place since at least mid November, possibly before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭KD345

xper wrote: »
    This is extremely disappointing if true and nothing like the increased frequency touted a couple of pages back. The late evening and Sunday service on this route is a joke. Has there been a scale back of plans due to lack of drivers or something?

The NTA Journey Planner this morning still shows an increased frequency for the 17 starting on Sunday January 20th. There are 28 departures from Blackrock showing for Sunday January 20th up from the current 8. The number of weekday departures is over 40 with a 20 minute frequency for parts of the day. If things have changed then it hasn’t been altered on the planner.
    We’ll have to wait until timetables are published to be sure.

The 18 has been penciled in for some time to launch as part of the last phase of the transfer, along with the 76 and 76A which takes place on the 2nd February.

This schedule has been in place since at least mid November, possibly before.

10th February not the 2nd is the correct date.

Yeah, thinking 2nd, 2nd month, my bad, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭StreetLight

Don't be surprised to see even further slippage on that date.

xper wrote: »

I think it has to be asked why Go-Ahead are struggling to get drivers over here in Ireland. I know wages are a fairly big factor as they are lower compared to DB but I don't think it's by a whole lot much also even DB have struggled to get drivers too despite being perceived to pay higher wages than GAI.

However over in England and specifically London there appears to be no shortage of people applying for bus driver roles. I get the general impression that the reason for this is because the quality of applicant that's accepted is a whole lot lower over in the UK than here in Ireland.

I have read for example that many people applying for bus driver jobs in London are given nearly more than 5 opportunities to pass their PCV driving test whereas the likes of DB will only give two. Also I get the general impression that London bus drivers are of a lower standard than over here as many appear to be not great drivers and have poor interpersonal skills and in some cases a poor grasp of the English language. I'd imagine for example that Garda vetting takes a lot of time and is effecting recruitment times badly something I don't really view as all that nessecary myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭john boye

We've heard the same lack of drivers guff from the same people before every round of the changeover. It's just tiresome now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

Hiring close to 20 drivers a week, before the last phase.

Stevek101 wrote: »
    Hiring close to 20 drivers a week, before the last phase.

I do believe there is an issue with Garda vetting taking a while to come through so not nessecarily a recruitment issue 6 weeks or so. I don't really see why bus drivers have to be Garda vetted as they are not specifically working with children for example retail or service workers come into contact with children but don't need Garda vetting unless they're in security. I don't know if drivers in other jurisdictions have to be vetted such as in the UK.

john boye wrote: »
    We've heard the same lack of drivers guff from the same people before every round of the changeover. It's just tiresome now.

Well here is something that will shock you to the core!!!!
    The GA drivers are just like everyone else, shock horror, you could even be bold and strike up a conversation with them, they won't bite, just ask them whats the story with the routes they are currently operating and the routes coming in the future.
    Stunning results are they are friendly and will answer your questions, now those on here posting could be anyone, but i believe it when i hear it coming out of the mouth of a man wearing a GA uniform and who is driving one of their buses.
    So you task for the coming week is to pluck up the courage and turn off you PC and go out into the real word and interact with a GA driver, you will find they are willing to answer polite questions and give you a look behind the curtain if you ask nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭thomasj

Folks , if you want a clearer idea of the new timetables were talking about, my suggestion would be to download or open the transport for Ireland journey planner app.

In the timetable online there is a mix of Dublin bus and go ahead services that would confuse people. On the app, you can filter the timetable results to have just go ahead.

In settings (top right) deselect the non bus modes of transport and also Dublin bus so you should be left with all other buses selected . In the maximum walk time cut down to 5 minutes. Untick The alternative stops box . Go back to the search page now.

In the from and to boxes enter the stop number of the 2 terminus stops (first and last). A list will come up and you should see the stop in question .

In the date field I'd say select a February date (the app shows the days and dates) and then put in a time of 05:00 or 06:00 and search . It will bring back the first 4 buses after that time.

There is a later button at the top right . Clicking that will expand the list. Keep clicking the button until the last bus to get an idea of the timetable .

Was on the 145 going by the top of Nutley Lane a while ago and saw the stop for the 17 from Vincent's was back to a normal DB stop flag. Earlier in December the same stop had the TFI flag on it, so it was either a last minute timetable change or that they put it up by accident?

tfwjgK7M_JrnPgV1Y13XLNhQYl4pOUXUYZ_z6nDsrIefLeiZodq8k-ABICZiBLT5iTfp_EAM4thaapFedV3nXclTflVkxMLZSmKqdUk8rcvXXnWX2DVdiZSnwvT7X9wIRATOqYWI4cHyESTELbn0GCLvA4f0Km2exFl40ER8zibrVvltUUpAPMTbciB7hoKIrT_E7rYdMdgdy6cIxZGNmc0180blnS9Aya7KcNPAIXJO1uUOupRtEuD-G5pnoWyqz7tK8BDDigPFKN6H8ZPqhbW1V2wMs6GzSVnd7R0bZc5odkShULyMn39NDX0aaRUEIPkLiqafoXAurn9t-9YoulzPH8SJvBRIgH59R1U43mXCPdE5sgqE6_8E_usvbScKOX13HC6h4ToRVLLgLcLJF-x73snCcFif0uEBAF0ltq9dC_5yFjjl5q8uTLXlRpkX2h9KLcj1gPiIyVCl-AmXkMfwIrK64TQZLckbEMBByD4AwMLxAgv604m3xer9EVzpjsHUV6FRbvpGVqGUF0Xy4Bl1wuwAeq4AVJjv3zWHUkaM0khn04ajb3tL7wzW0HAdwAR_furr2T3WmyYDVMRNaJDLFBxlc1rLElhWC6yw39Glkel_fnqrk3zbVV58SkF4D-jp_Tq_cxtijfg5B45MumZrWw=w437-h898-no

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭john boye

Well here is something that will shock you to the core!!!!
    The GA drivers are just like everyone else, shock horror, you could even be bold and strike up a conversation with them, they won't bite, just ask them whats the story with the routes they are currently operating and the routes coming in the future.
    Stunning results are they are friendly and will answer your questions, now those on here posting could be anyone, but i believe it when i hear it coming out of the mouth of a man wearing a GA uniform and who is driving one of their buses.
    So you task for the coming week is to pluck up the courage and turn off you PC and go out into the real word and interact with a GA driver, you will find they are willing to answer polite questions and give you a look behind the curtain if you ask nicely.

I really shouldn't bite but.... Last night you said you heard it from a 145 driver you "know". Works for both does he?

Honestly what the point on sending the 17 to Vincent's as it was only on Saturdays?

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭ITV2

It never picked anyone up on it.

• Advertisement

ITV2 wrote: »
    It never picked anyone up on it.

Also remember they tried to extend the 18 up to UCD via Vincent's.

Advertisement