Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imagine LTE Rural Broadband

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭mossie

jelem wrote: »
    phone line or cable\fibre (imagine) ?.
    political chest beating is going on with "rural" by government

I don't have cable / fibre and no prospect of this for years. Phone line gives 2 Mbps if I'm lucky. Being rural gives me no advantage. Didn't you mention you have Virgin as an option? we'll never see that

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭jelem

in your case my comments do not refer to.
    the nbp which is part funded with eu money
    (i raised issue with OLAF) and MEP luke Ming Flanagan 2018 EU
    posted questions for EU response)-
    is a sham and as i pointed out to greens with their support
    for government - the plan for miles of cable "environmental etc. footprint"
    is bad when a single tower with range in miles 18 radius can provide 5G.
    But the greens prove they just want government pay and to hell with "green".
    Vested interests supported by FG and FF both whom need "culling",
    ensure you get what they decide and NOT what is possible in a short space
    of time at reasonable cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭alec76

It could indeed, speeds would be slower than LTE though, but who cares?
    Another lobbyist for Wireless broadband as a national solution.
    2G were supposed to replace cables , then 3G , then 4g , 5g now.
    Day when i've got FTTH installed was the one of the happiest day in my life , Imagine - is the scam for desperate people , without a proper choice of fibre solutions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭rodge123

in your case my comments do not refer to.
    the nbp which is part funded with eu money
    (i raised issue with OLAF) and MEP luke Ming Flanagan 2018 EU
    posted questions for EU response)-
    is a sham and as i pointed out to greens with their support
    for government - the plan for miles of cable "environmental etc. footprint"
    But the greens prove they just want government pay and to hell with "green".
    Vested interests supported by FG and FF both whom need "culling",
    ensure you get what they decide and NOT what is possible in a short space
    of time at reasonable cost.

If your emails to Luke were as coherent as your last few posts then I’d imagine he didn’t pay much attention to them!

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Ultimanemo

reading all these posts and living in south county dublin estate where eir have refused to supply fibre\cable
    along with just one company supply cable\fibre "monoply", even nbp ireland\cccp etc. no response to situation.
    it seems rural is being over supported whilst we suffer on old phone line.
    this as i have stated clearly is government supporting and involved in Cartel and monopolies.
    Well done in gaining in rural what i cannot get in D18.
    (even got notice lately from Siro that they will not supply hence "virgin" monopoly goes on).
    How fast is your Internet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭verizon

Anyone having problems tonight in kilkenny?

Edit: it was fine this morning again

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭1jcdub

A friend of mine had imagine installed today in Termonfeckin. The installer say he was getting 50 mb download speed. He checked it after her left and he was only getting 20 mb at 2pm. I'm due for for installation on Thursday. I'm having having second thoughts...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

deadl0ck wrote: »
    So this is interesting - I was chatting to an old school friend of mine yesterday.
    He mentioned how bad his broadband is and asking about mine.
    I said I'm on imagine and I get pretty good speeds and I'm happy with it - he's in the local town on a vodafone fibre connection and is getting 2.5 download speeds and is sick of complaining to them about it.
    Here's my test just now - this is pretty typical for me since I was moved to a new mast a couple of months ago

That’s because he’s on Fibre to the cabinet which gets slower the further of distance via to the cabinet. It’s only fibre to the green cabinet. Copper wiring to his house could stretch for miles and be of poor quality/faults in parts. He’d have faster broadband if he could downgrade to an older Adsl2+ product. Not all exchanges got adsl2+, a lot are still ADSL(1)

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭SkepticQuark

Down again for me. Getting pretty ****ing sick of this service the last 2 weeks or so. I can pull 90mbps on GoMo for 9.99 a month, but can't even get service half the ****ing time anymore during peak hours on imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Does anyone have a phone connected/working? Mine never came back up (internet is fine) after the other day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

That’s because he’s on Fibre to the cabinet which gets slower the further of distance via to the cabinet. It’s only fibre to the green cabinet. Copper wiring to his house could stretch for miles and be of poor quality/faults in parts. He’d have faster broadband if he could downgrade to an older Adsl2+ product. Not all exchanges got adsl2+, a lot are still ADSL(1)

Ah interesting - I didn't realise that as I've never had any mention of the word fibre near where I am so I never really looked into it.
    Thanks for that - makes sense!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭mossie

god's toy wrote: »
    Does anyone have a phone connected/working? Mine never came back up (internet is fine) after the other day.

Yes, working fine. Maybe reboot the router and see if that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭adm

1jcdub wrote: »
    A friend of mine had imagine installed today in Termonfeckin. The installer say he was getting 50 mb download speed. He checked it after her left and he was only getting 20 mb at 2pm. I'm due for for installation on Thursday. I'm having having second thoughts...

Be sure to check with an ethernet cable plugged directly from a laptop to the router to get the true speed.

Just to rule out wifi being an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭1jcdub

adm wrote: »
    Be sure to check with an ethernet cable plugged directly from a laptop to the router to get the true speed.

Just to rule out wifi being an issue.

I'll get him to check again using his laptop. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Flyer1

Currently in contract with imagine for another 11 months - has anyone any experience with leaving imagine while in contract ? The service is just beyond crap ! Constant loss of service, speeds consistently below 3MB and often as low as 0.5MB, loss of phone service. I'm simply not getting the product I am paying for, I have spoken with technical support 6 times - all to no avail. I have just accepted it's a sh!te product and there are alternatives out there.

rodge123 wrote: »
    If your emails to Luke were as coherent as your last few posts then I’d imagine he didn’t pay much attention to them!
    pointed out luke not state i contacted him.
    why keep posting to one whom is already active
    when the likes of myself will ensure as many
    as possible at higher levels are contacted

Ultimanemo wrote: »
    How fast is your Internet?
    was 14 down and 1 up as line tested and capable of 23.3.
    18 was unstable.
    when search for better price since eir had advertised eirfibre
    fail\refuse to supply a cable\fibre connection so it was media company
    "virgin" or phone line. Monopoly for virgin and corruption allowing eir
    to use virgin network to sell eir service, this because if not connected\contract
    with virgin already you cannot get eir cable\fibre speeds.
    siro have also stated they will not provide a service.
    whilst seeking a cheaper provider from resellers ALL yes ALL the
    web advertisements stated my line speed was 12Mb of which one
    in particular i produced screenshots of data speed test passing on route through their
    servers at 14Mb.
    a complaint to comrreg of False speed test results being pushed on the public.
    received gobblydeegook and obsfucation with a month or so after eir reduced
    my bandwidth to 11down and 1 up (if im lucky).
    i have the evidence and proof of cartel and monopoly along with lies to
    public and government \ministers \depts. \bodies are all in cahoots.
    theft from citizens IS the game whilst supporting poor service.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Hallowed

was 14 down and 1 up as line tested and capable of 23.3.
    18 was unstable.
    when search for better price since eir had advertised eirfibre
    fail\refuse to supply a cable\fibre connection so it was media company
    "virgin" or phone line. Monopoly for virgin and corruption allowing eir
    to use virgin network to sell eir service, this because if not connected\contract
    with virgin already you cannot get eir cable\fibre speeds.
    siro have also stated they will not provide a service.
    whilst seeking a cheaper provider from resellers ALL yes ALL the
    web advertisements stated my line speed was 12Mb of which one
    in particular i produced screenshots of data speed test passing on route through their
    servers at 14Mb.
    a complaint to comrreg of False speed test results being pushed on the public.
    received gobblydeegook and obsfucation with a month or so after eir reduced
    my bandwidth to 11down and 1 up (if im lucky).
    i have the evidence and proof of cartel and monopoly along with lies to
    public and government \ministers \depts. \bodies are all in cahoots.
    theft from citizens IS the game whilst supporting poor service.

Apt

Hallowed wrote: »
    Apt
    seemingly accepted by weak sheep

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭rodge123

pointed out luke not state i contacted him.
    why keep posting to one whom is already active
    when the likes of myself will ensure as many
    as possible at higher levels are contacted

You may want to remove that tin foil hat.
    I think it’s interfering with your ability to write any readable posts!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Tommy Lagahan

rodge123 wrote: »
    You may want to remove that tin foil hat.
    I think it’s interfering with your ability to write any readable posts!

Ah now tinfoil can be handy, I used to use tinfoil to boost my Three modem from 1mbit to 2mbit! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 15 fdiddy110

Hi all,I've been following this thread for the last few weeks because my speed goes down to 1.5mb every evening.

I'm with imagine for the last 2 + years, and have found them extremely good during the day, yesterday had 90mb down but kept running speed tests every 30 mins from 5PM on. What I found was as follows, it was pretty strong until just after 7,ie Peak hours.then the hammer came down at about 1-2mb until after 11 which is began rising steadily again.

It looks pretty obvious to me that imagine are charged a lot more for these peak hours,therefore limiting the bandwidth so we cant use it much during these expensive hours.not sure can we do anything about this but that's my 2 cents worth on the subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭_Puma_

fdiddy110 wrote: »
    Hi all,I've been following this thread for the last few weeks because my speed goes down to 1.5mb every evening.

I'm with imagine for the last 2 + years, and have found them extremely good during the day, yesterday had 90mb down but kept running speed tests every 30 mins from 5PM on. What I found was as follows, it was pretty strong until just after 7,ie Peak hours.then the hammer came down at about 1-2mb until after 11 which is began rising steadily again.

It looks pretty obvious to me that imagine are charged a lot more for these peak hours,therefore limiting the bandwidth so we cant use it much during these expensive hours.not sure can we do anything about this but that's my 2 cents worth on the subject.

It would nice and easy to say its down to imagine been charged for peak hours or some such and cheaping out... But alas I think its a technical limitation of the LTE product.

Contention on a Masts numerous cell sectors during peak hours. Think of a pizza, each customer on a Mast is assigned a slice, loading their slice with lots of data but their is still just one cabinet on the Mast piping it out. When everyone is trying to get out at the same time you just wait in line and why we see it manifest in download speed nosediving and not necessarily connection drops.

Its been very acute on our Mast since the latest lockdown and the clocks went back. More people indoors streaming overloading thier sectors.

Real Estate on the Mast itself (more sectors) is not going to solve the bottlenecks at the Mast cabinet.

Why I think it completely wrong headed by imagine themselves imposing daily download limits underhandedly (detailed earlier in this thread),whatever about the monthly limits. Its not solving the problem. I know they try and limit the number of customers on a Mast but all our slices are getting bigger and more overloaded and the pipes off the Masts are still the same size since they launched this LTE product.

More capital into the Mast infrastructure is the solution but could be out of their hands as they just lease real estate on them. Likely no say on the cabinets off them.

FTTH can't come soon enough for the the majority. will even benefit people sticking with Imagine as the contention issues will ease for their remaining customers

yes they oversell what they have -
    take as much money and hope all do not demand full use at same time.
    government allow this theft by allowing "upto" words to con you.
    if tied to "we supply 10 Mbits download" then on a "pipe" of 600 MBytes
    they can only supply and when oversell they commit crime.
    NB
    watch for company-men whom try waffle with tech to hide the theft and
    abuse the isps and resellers are allowed away with.
    tech (625 allow for overhead).
    want waffle try isps reply to why bandwidth reduced -"more subscribers".
    well F__ Me reduce my price as you have sold to more and taken bandwidth from me.
    government allows and citizen has no legal channel to pursue.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

mossie wrote: »
    Yes, working fine. Maybe reboot the router and see if that helps.
    Thanks for the reply. Yea I have restarted it and reset it too but it hasn't fixed it.
    .. hmmm...

• Registered Users Posts: 15 fdiddy110

_Puma_ wrote: »
    It would nice and easy to say its down to imagine been charged for peak hours or some such and cheaping out... But alas I think its a technical limitation of the LTE product.

Contention on a Masts numerous cell sectors during peak hours. Think of a pizza, each customer on a Mast is assigned a slice, loading their slice with lots of data but their is still just one cabinet on the Mast piping it out. When everyone is trying to get out at the same time you just wait in line and why we see it manifest in download speed nosediving and not necessarily connection drops.

Its been very acute on our Mast since the latest lockdown and the clocks went back. More people indoors streaming overloading thier sectors.

Real Estate on the Mast itself (more sectors) is not going to solve the bottlenecks at the Mast cabinet.

Why I think it completely wrong headed by imagine themselves imposing daily download limits underhandedly (detailed earlier in this thread),whatever about the monthly limits. Its not solving the problem. I know they try and limit the number of customers on a Mast but all our slices are getting bigger and more overloaded and the pipes off the Masts are still the same size since they launched this LTE product.

More capital into the Mast infrastructure is the solution but could be out of their hands as they just lease real estate on them. Likely no say on the cabinets off them.

FTTH can't come soon enough for the the majority. will even benefit people sticking with Imagine as the contention issues will ease for their remaining customers

It is really suspicious that it drops all of a sudden - its not like every subscriber on the dot @7pm drops what they are doing and rush to stream Netflix from 7-11.

On a hunch here but something sinister is going on here to limit peak hours because its costing Imagine more to provide data at these peak hours.

god's toy wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply. Yea I have restarted it and reset it too but it hasn't fixed it.
    .. hmmm...

Do you have the login for the router ? It should show you the connection status for the phone - like this:

mKpvL4H.jpg

It is really suspicious that it drops all of a sudden - its not like every subscriber on the dot @7pm drops what they are doing and rush to stream Netflix from 7-11.

On a hunch here but something sinister is going on here to limit peak hours because its costing Imagine more to provide data at these peak hours.

I used to think this also and of course not ruling it out but the fact, for my service anyway, it's starting to become an acute problem the past couple of weeks. Seemed to be very smooth during the summer months.

_Puma_ wrote: »
    I used to think this also and of course not ruling it out but the fact, for my service anyway, it's starting to become an acute problem the past couple of weeks. Seemed to be very smooth during the summer months.

Have you done a speedtest at that time with WiFi off and you the only person connected with a cable ?

Just to be sure it's nothing internally causing the issue (I had this with my work laptop kicking off a hard drive backup and took me ages to figure it out)

• Advertisement

deadl0ck wrote: »
    Have you done a speedtest at that time with WiFi off and you the only person connected with a cable ?

Just to be sure it's nothing internally causing the issue (I had this with my work laptop kicking off a hard drive backup and took me ages to figure it out)

Yes ive wired Cat6 in my house, Only use Wifi for the phone(Noticed there too). Ive been working late evenings the past week or so and notice RDP connections at first, then Zoom meetings etc start to become unstable usually between 6-7 and start to nomalise again after 9 or so but no 2 days have been the same so far. Speeds Up & down usually degrade by about 90% with astronomical ping. Jitter seems to be fine so its not the signal.

Advertisement