Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

BusConnects Dublin - Big changes to Bus Network

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

I wonder if something like this would address some of the issues that disabled users are pointing out

https://www.translink.ca/Rider-Guide/Accessible-Transit/HandyDART.aspx

Dublin Bus already have this or something very like it

http://www.dublinbus.ie/Your-Journey1/Accessibility/Travel-Assistance-Scheme/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,363 ✭✭✭Shedite27

devnull wrote: »
    Considering all of the articles in the IT about BusConnects, from the woman with the massive garden and now this and all of the rest of it, I think it's reasonable to ask exactly why is the IT going all out against BusConnects?

Poor people take the bus
    People with massive gardens in Terenure buy the Irish Times

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

MJohnston wrote: »
    I've submitted a complaint to the Digital Editor of the Irish Times about that article. May be useless (although if I don't see a correction I'll complain to the Ombudsman next) but I can't do nothing, and I'm fed up with these kinds of small inaccuracies or lies just sliding by without comment.

I did similar this afternoon:

Hi,

I wish to cancel my digital subscription to the Irish Times.

I've been a regular user of the subscription and typically buy the physical paper at the weekend. I've become increasingly frustrated at the lack of journalistic integrity around the reporting on BusConnects. The following article is a particularly crass instance of this: https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/blind-man-s-view-busconnects-fails-me-it-should-be-all-inclusive-1.3670960

This was posted yesterday with completely inaccurate information, information that is easily verifiable. The reality of the situation has been clarified by the NTA (https://twitter.com/BusConnects/status/1054300368954421248) and the Irish Times have made no efforts to clarify the truth of the matter in their original article, let alone issue a retraction (has the man in question even been informed?). In an era where fake news abounds, I'm happy to pay for journalism that investigates properly and reports on facts. The Irish Times just doesn't seem to be willing to follow that philosophy.

Thanks,
    Amirani

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Poor people take the bus

I don't think gross generalisations help. I buy the Irish Times, I have a small/moderate sized garden in an area beside Terenure and I take the bus regularly.

The problem isn't with people being for or against BusConnects, it's with supposedly reputable source spouting misinformation.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,867 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

A letter to the editor might have had more impact.

Life ain't always empty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

A letter to the editor might have had more impact.

Nah, I'm not interested in boosting their page views by providing argumentative clickbait. It is a factual error, and not an opinion that needs to be debated.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,362 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Amirani wrote: »
    I did similar this afternoon:

Hi,

I wish to cancel my digital subscription to the Irish Times.

I've been a regular user of the subscription and typically buy the physical paper at the weekend. I've become increasingly frustrated at the lack of journalistic integrity around the reporting on BusConnects. The following article is a particularly crass instance of this: https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/blind-man-s-view-busconnects-fails-me-it-should-be-all-inclusive-1.3670960

This was posted yesterday with completely inaccurate information, information that is easily verifiable. The reality of the situation has been clarified by the NTA (https://twitter.com/BusConnects/status/1054300368954421248) and the Irish Times have made no efforts to clarify the truth of the matter in their original article, let alone issue a retraction (has the man in question even been informed?). In an era where fake news abounds, I'm happy to pay for journalism that investigates properly and reports on facts. The Irish Times just doesn't seem to be willing to follow that philosophy.

Thanks,
    Amirani

Fair play. You might want to share this on Twitter - could get a bit of attention there.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,730 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Poor people take the bus

on permanent rotation in the IT office:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,363 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Amirani wrote: »
    I don't think gross generalisations help. I buy the Irish Times, I have a small/moderate sized garden in an area beside Terenure and I take the bus regularly.

The problem isn't with people being for or against BusConnects, it's with supposedly reputable source spouting misinformation.
    Yup, I was giving my opinion as to why it was spouting misinformation

(I'm also a bus-using IT reader)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭circular flexing

I wonder if something like this would address some of the issues that disabled users are pointing out

https://www.translink.ca/Rider-Guide/Accessible-Transit/HandyDART.aspx

Dublin Bus already have this or something very like it

http://www.dublinbus.ie/Your-Journey1/Accessibility/Travel-Assistance-Scheme/

That’s not the same at all. HandyDART is a network of buses that provide point to point service for disabled users for the cost of a regular fare.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

That’s not the same at all. HandyDART is a network of buses that provide point to point service for disabled users for the cost of a regular fare.

Sorry I looked at the start of it and saw someone helping someone onto the bus and thought it was the same.:o

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,263 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

It is a Dial-A-Bus service. Which makes more sense. Instead we pretend the current service works and that Busconnects will destroy it. Even if the BC will improve the lives of 95% of people it really isn't that hard to find the 5% and the IT is pretending that that is reporting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Closer to home TFL has a dial a ride service has done since the 1970s I think too. It's more something which would benefit people with disabilities who cannot currently access Dublin's public transport system rather than as a replacement for services lost due to Bus Connects. However I would be sceptical about how nessecary it would be these days considering public transport is more accessible for persons with disabilities than ever before.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 GarrettRodgers

More than the other problems with The Irish Times article, I wonder if anyone has gotten in contact with Mr. Murray. As a blind man, he is completely dependant on others to read maps for him. I've sent the journo an email asking him to get in contact.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

More than the other problems with The Irish Times article, I wonder if anyone has gotten in contact with Mr. Murray. As a blind man, he is completely dependant on others to read maps for him. I've sent the journo an email asking him to get in contact.

Yeah, that's what I tweeted at him and the Irish Times about. Zero response. Also mentioned it to the digital editor. Zero response.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Yeah, that's what I tweeted at him and the Irish Times about. Zero response. Also mentioned it to the digital editor. Zero response.

I very much doubt that you'll get much meaningful response.

Most of these journalistic set-pieces will have been orchestrated on a parallell level,usually by somebody with skin-in-the-game,and with a predetermined result in mind.

Journalism,of the Woodward & Bernstein variety,is largely dead in the water,now that the "Quality" organs recruit straight from College.

The reality of Busconnects representing the first major reorganization of Dublins Bus Services in 40 years is lost upon many,as is the reality of over €750,000,000 in direct funding actually being in place,as opposed to requiring approval or acccquisition.

There has NEVER been a more positive time for Bus Transport in Dublin,but it will not hang about for long,either we grab it and work with it,or we kiss our bus service goodbye in favour of yet more multi-story car parks and shopping malls USA style !

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 13 GarrettRodgers

He got back to me stating Mr. Murray does know his options. I wrote back saying I think he's gotten that wrong and why and to get in touch with him if the options I've prevented make sense to get in touch with the man. I'll take him at his word.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,199 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

First time poster to this thread and bus connects is something which is badly needed. Will it happen who knows??

However one thing that stands out for me is they promise quicker journey times. How can that be delivered on when current Dublin bus journey times are only getting worse. Some drivers can do a route in half the time of others.

For example this morning's 6.10 145 to town took 1 hour 20 minutes from bray to pearse street. Simply because of driver slowness, while others will do it in 50 minutes given the time of morning.

Nothing will improve until there is consistency

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭StreetLight

First time poster to this thread and bus connects is something which is badly needed. Will it happen who knows??

However one thing that stands out for me is they promise quicker journey times. How can that be delivered on when current Dublin bus journey times are only getting worse. Some drivers can do a route in half the time of others.

For example this morning's 6.10 145 to town took 1 hour 20 minutes from bray to pearse street. Simply because of driver slowness, while others will do it in 50 minutes given the time of morning.

Nothing will improve until there is consistency

But everyone is different, so the only way is intermediate timing points strictly adhered to. It may mean a bus waiting several minutes at certain points until the correct departure time is reached.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭haulier

Maybe put an earlier bus on the 145 ? 0730 would appear to be a little late for the first bus to city centre to be arriving at.There are a few buses based in Bray that could be used.

Or maybe put one of the two early staff buses into the timetable, for the benefit of the travelling public who need to be in the city before 0700 ??

Its been going on a while - the solution is not rocket science, but does appear to be beyond solving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,199 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

haulier wrote: »
    Maybe put an earlier bus on the 145 ? 0730 would appear to be a little late for the first bus to city centre to be arriving at.There are a few buses based in Bray that could be used.

Or maybe put one of the two early staff buses into the timetable, for the benefit of the travelling public who need to be in the city before 0700 ??

Its been going on a while - the solution is not rocket science, but does appear to be beyond solving.

I agree, 7.30 is way too late. It can vary between 7.10 and the extreme of 7.30 some days simply depending on who is driving.

The solution is of course an earlier departure than 6.10 but as you said it's been going on a while, people know the solutions however we see plan after plan and no implementation

• Registered Users Posts: 33,867 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Some years ago I used to get the 14 occasionally, there was one driver who was chronically slow, very annoying when you get on the bus in good time for work and are then left wondering if you'll make it or not just down to the whims of one guy who wouldn't exceed 20MPH.

Letter in today's Irish Times:

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/letters/busconnects-and-journey-times-1.3673278

BusConnects and journey times

Sir, – In a news item in your edition of October 22nd, it is claimed that under the BusConnects redesign of the bus network in Dublin, a journey from bus stop 1190 on Collins Avenue to Spencer Dock will require two buses and a Luas, compared to the current one bus and a Luas. One passenger is quoted as saying that he currently takes the 14 bus to Connolly Station, and changes to the Luas to complete his journey to the Spencer Dock area. It is further claimed that under the new plan, a passenger travelling from Collins Avenue to Spencer Dock will be required to walk further to a different bus stop. They will then be required to take a northbound bus towards Artane, before they can board a city-bound bus service which will bring them to a Luas Red Line.

None of this is true. In fact, far from becoming a “six-stage ordeal”, as claimed in the piece, under our proposals the journey between bus stop 1190 on Collins Avenue and Spencer Dock will be a better and more direct service. The proposed N4 route will run along Collins Avenue and will stop at the existing stop number 1190. It will then continue towards the Howth Road and along the East Wall Road, terminating in Spencer Dock. This will be a direct route with no bus or Luas change required, unlike the existing journey taken by the passenger quoted. Just as significantly, the N4 route will run every 10 minutes all day, a very high frequency and much more frequent than the existing 14 bus service to Connolly Station. – Yours, etc,

ANNE GRAHAM,

Chief Executive Officer,

National Transport

Authority,

Harcourt Lane, Dublin 2.

The Irish Times should print a retraction and an apology though. Disgraceful tabloid-style "journalism", put that lad back on making the tea (if he can manage that.)

Life ain't always empty.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

• Registered Users Posts: 8,300 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

SG 471 has an experimental white coloured LED display fitted on the front of the bus.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/darren_hall/45570540571/in/faves-48770310@N05/

Is this idea of experimenting with the colour of these LED displays part of BusConnects?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

SG 471 has an experimental white coloured LED display fitted on the front of the bus.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/darren_hall/45570540571/in/faves-48770310@N05/

Is this idea of experimenting with the colour of these LED displays part of BusConnects?

Thats unreadable. Yes its nice and clear close up, what we need is a modern version of the older blinds that you could read from 500 yrds away.

White is another headlight in traffic for some with vision problems.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Another day, another Irish Times article.

In fairness, I can't disagree with what the article says, it's about Transport Infrastructure Ireland's submission to the BusConnects consultation and the NTA's response.
    “NTA and TII are working together to identify and exploit all opportunities to add additional bus facilities,” an NTA spokeswoman said.

“At the moment TII is developing proposals to widen the N3, which is the road the Blanchardstown core bus corridor will travel on, and the NTA is collaborating with TII to provide additional bus lanes as part of that proposal.”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

prinzeugen wrote: »
    Thats unreadable. Yes its nice and clear close up, what we need is a modern version of the older blinds that you could read from 500 yrds away.

White is another headlight in traffic for some with vision problems.

I'd agree it is quite hard to see. The problem with roller blinds is there is difficulty adding new places to them whereas LED can easily be changed to accommodate new place names and new routes being added to the system. The displays on Lothian buses for example look well are white and quite visible. London uses roller blinds but the destinations are unlikely to change over there.

I think it's always going to be difficult to display place names in Ireland when we have to have destinations displayed in two languages.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

I've submitted a complaint to the Digital Editor of the Irish Times about that article. May be useless (although if I don't see a correction I'll complain to the Ombudsman next) but I can't do nothing, and I'm fed up with these kinds of small inaccuracies or lies just sliding by without comment.

There's still being no correctons/refutes/retractions on this from what I can see? Disappointing that the Irish Times coverage has become so out of touch with reality.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,457 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

The NTA instead offered to provide hard copies of brochures for the Dublin southwest area, and Powerpoint slides showing details about the revised network.

I attended one of these local meetings, in fairness, there most have been over 100 very high quality brochures from the NTA there, focused on the routes of my local areas. Plus slides and big map print outs on the wall.

The councillor who had organised the meeting had also previously meet with the NTA and was pretty well informed, I was pretty impressed with this councillor. I was however unimpressed by the Minister who turned up half way through.

It would have been better if someone from the NTA was there, but it would have been a hard job with the screaming lad from PBP there shouting nonsense and the hundred or so OAPs who just don't want change full stop and aren't interested in listening.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

This gave me a good laugh, the Irish Times opines on the future of Dublin.

"Official defensiveness and political cowardice, along with deep-seated inertia, have obstructed innovation in the city", which is accurate, but totally ignores their own behaviour when it comes to projects that are innovative. Their behaviour around BusConnects and Metrolink is nothing short of appalling.

Advertisement