Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting the most charge from your Garmin battery

• 03-12-2012 12:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭

What is the best way to set up a Garmin 305 to ensure maximum battery charge for a run?
    I intend to do quite a long run over the xmas and would need the battery to last for 6hrs+ but the battery usually runs low at 5hrs. I have the 'Smart recording' option selected (As opposed to the 'per second' option) but was wondering if there is anything else that I can do to improve the charge lifespan??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭rom

Krusty said that 'Smart recording' does not improve battery life only what is stored on the watch. I thought it did but looking at the manual it seems it only saves space. When I had my 305 turning down the contrast so that the screen is lighter and not having the backlight on much seemed to get the most out of it battery wise. The backlight being the biggest killer. http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2009/07/going-really-really-really-long-with.html may be an option for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

rom wrote: »
    Krusty said that 'Smart recording' does not improve battery life only what is stored on the watch. I thought it did but looking at the manual it seems it only saves space. When I had my 305 turning down the contrast so that the screen is lighter and not having the backlight on much seemed to get the most out of it battery wise. The backlight being the biggest killer. http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2009/07/going-really-really-really-long-with.html may be an option for you.

Thanks for that rom.
    I have contrast set at 50% and the backlight wouldn't really be in use much as the run will be during daylight.
    That charger seems interesting but a bit bulky. I may just use my brother's garmin for the second half of the run but it would be good to fit it all on the one garmin if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,495 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

For more than 6 hours, you really are better off with a 310 or 910. I have one of those Duracell chargers that rom linked (think it cost me around €4 in Tescos). I didn't manage to successfully get it to charge my watch on the fly (I reckon the male/female USB adapters I picked up were not functional), but I have brought it with me several times before when my mp3 player was out of juice and charged it on the hoof. It's very light. You could put both the watch and charger into a zipped up pocket for an hour or two to let it charge. You wouldn't have to keep it strapped to your wrist. GPS watch should still have good satellite reception in a zipped up pocket or in a bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭hot to trot

I used my 305 in Sixmilebridge and it lasted 9 hours ( and wasnt dying) when I used it without a heart monitor. The old HRM seems to be a massive drain on them.
    I also used the display to just show time- something that wasnt changing every few seconds and then just checked pace/distance/whatever from time to time. If you are doing a 6+ hour run , pace wont be an issue as much anyway.
    Enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Thanks Finn, I'll go with that setup so as HR won't matter on this run and as long as it records time, distance and route i'll be happy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭lway

Cork Running Blog have an article on this today

http://www.corkrunning.blogspot.com/2012/12/giving-your-old-garmin-watch-new-lease.html

Again it's just ONE person's experience so neither they or I am endorsing them (I have no experience/connection of/with them). Also the website listed doesn't work.

Perhaps there are other companies out there offering the same service.

Advertisement