Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Latest cosmetic purchases and reviews

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Saorenza

EmilyO, please let us know what you think of the Gosh powder. I was thinking of branching out into Gosh cosmetics since I like their nail polishes so much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ilyana

Saorenza wrote: »
    EmilyO, please let us know what you think of the Gosh powder. I was thinking of branching out into Gosh cosmetics since I like their nail polishes so much.

Well I tried it today, applied with a brush over Revlon Colorstay foundation. It was grand, nothing all that special. I went to the gym and my make-up stayed put, but I think that had more to with the good foundation than the powder. I think I'll get my previous Catrice one next, for less than half the price :pac:

Also, I tried to apply the GOSH powder over bare skin and it didn't make any difference, although the sponge is pretty crap so that might have been it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭lil'bug

IMG_3629.jpg

I like this alot, it cost me €11 from boots and it gives a lovely rosy glow, but its very strong just a little dab will do you

• Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭lindtee

I'm a bit *meh* about the benefit porefessional to be honest:( Not really hiding the pores at all, its an ok primer but would prefer the clarins perfect touch, elf primer and a boots one which I am also using at the moment. Have used the clinique pore minimizer too which I was not impressed with. Back to the drawing board to find something that actually works on the open pores:( Any tips greatly appreciated!
    Anyone know anything about the "too faced" range of products? Their primer and face powder sound very interesting if they actually do what they say on the tin!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭booboo88

Benefit-Hello-Flawless-Oxygen-Wow-Brightening-Makeup-Oil-free-SPF-2.png&w=560&h=528&ei=HfAyT9iyBJKJhQer15z2BA&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=537&vpy=355&dur=2940&hovh=218&hovw=231&tx=122&ty=241&sig=112807878335958217247&page=1&tbnh=155&tbnw=154&start=0&ndsp=17&ved=1t:429,r:13,s:0
    anyone know when this is releasing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Dark Phoenix

Got the soap and glory mascara free with Elle magazine it's fab!! I've long lashes and this makes them look so full and black I may need to get another copy of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭aristocat

Got the soap and glory mascara free with Elle magazine it's fab!! I've long lashes and this makes them look so full and black I may need to get another copy of it!

Yep I also got this with Elle magazine, and I can confirm that it is a great mascara. Black and silky with no clumps. Can achieve a very strong look with just one coat. Two coats and you're simply divine!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 qwerty111

oh im gna have to get that is it this months mag?:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭gingernut125

I'm not that pushed by the mascara, well worth the price, but i wouldn't re purchase i don't think

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

Has anyone tried the Samantha Chapman brushes from Realtechniques yet? I really want to try the buffing brush for foundation but I think it only comes in a set which is a shame!

• Advertisement

kandr10 wrote: »
    Has anyone tried the Samantha Chapman brushes from Realtechniques yet? I really want to try the buffing brush for foundation but I think it only comes in a set which is a shame!

Haven't tried them personally, but have read many good reviews. They will be available through Boots from 14 March apparently (well, thats in the UK so I suppose in or around that here). Am eager to try their stipple brush for foundation, my MAC one just doesn't do the job for me. Don't like buying online so glad to finally be able to buy them here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

aristocat wrote: »
    Haven't tried them personally, but have read many good reviews. They will be available through Boots from 14 March apparently (well, thats in the UK so I suppose in or around that here). Am eager to try their stipple brush for foundation, my MAC one just doesn't do the job for me. Don't like buying online so glad to finally be able to buy them here.

That's interesting that you weren't mad on the mac one. I thought I'd have to wait til march too but then letzmakeup said she bought a set in boots in one of her videos so I'm wondering if they're out earlier? Exciting!

kandr10 wrote: »
    That's interesting that you weren't mad on the mac one. I thought I'd have to wait til march too but then letzmakeup said she bought a set in boots in one of her videos so I'm wondering if they're out earlier? Exciting!

Very exciting! Have wanted to get my hands on these for a long time. I think they are a great inbetween price range, so I'm hoping the quality is half-way decent. If they are in Boots already, yippeeee!

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭silverspoon

The Real Techniques brushes are out already! I got the core set on Friday and I've only used them yesterday so I haven't had enough time to be able to give a proper review on them. They're all really soft which is great for synthetic brushes.

The buffing brush is great - like I said, I've only used it yesterday so this is just a first impression - but it's great for applying face powder. Want to see how it applies foundation but lovely for powder!

The contour brush is a bit small, good for powder highlighter but not for using contour powders.

The other two brushes are weird. One is a 'detailer' brush which is very small, recommended to apply lipstick or concealer. I don't really like using lip brushes and I haven't tried it for concealer yet but I don't really know what to do with it. The other one is recommended as a foundation brush but it's way too small to be a foundation brush. It's a bit large to be a concealer brush, so again, not really sure what to do with it. Maybe it would work for liquid highlighter.

The set is great for the buffer and contour brushes, but the other two brushes are kind of pointless. I'll find uses for them, but they are pretty awkward sizes. They are lovely quality, all of them. No shedding (yet anyway), really soft, the handles are really sturdy and you can stand the bigger ones up, should you want to. The little case they come with is quite nice, and you can convert it into a stand which is very handy. It was 30.49 for the set which was OK for 4 brushes. I don't regret buying them but I'll have to do a bit of experimenting to figure out what to do with the two weird sized brushes!

Recently bought 'Lasting Finish by Kate' lipstick from Rimmel. Got it in colour 08 Rossetto. I find this really good. Although it is quite moisturizing it also has great staying power. Lasts quite a long time without having a matt or heavy appearance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Denisejcc

thick_fast_mascara.jpg

Soap and Glory Thick & Fast mascara.. really impressed with this! I usually use Benefit Theyre Real but this is just as good for a tenner less ;)

Picked up soap and glory lipstick on naked beige on Friday and I really like it I rarely wear lipstick as a lot of colours don't suit me but this is nice

Oh and I also spent my boots points on two more Barry m nail polishes - pink flamingo and indigo

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Saorenza

I got the Soap and Glory mascara free with Elle and I really like it. I have dark eyelashes anyway but it is not clumpy, doesn't irritate my eyes and best of all, doesn't come off and give me panda eyes.

It was still in place after a long day involving an emotional family party and a long walk along the Prom.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Ok, was dying to come on and show you why i am in love with Benefits They're Real mascara. I posted after xmas saying it was great but id give it a good test run (now at week 7 or so) and its still amazing.
    benefittheyrerealmascar.jpg

So, i was doing my eye makeup on saturday and took some before and after pics. I would hardly ever give a product 10/10 but i cant praise this mascara enough :D Im dreading when this runs out as its around €25 in the shop, double what id spend normally.

004ntv.jpg my left,before mascara003jit.jpg my right with mascara

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭ams

Love Benefit's they're real as well - was gonna get the soap and glory mascara with Elle but read some bad reviews so reckoned Id just save my pennies. Tempted to now though with the good reviews above!

I picked up the Avon super shock gel eyeliner pencils over the weekend - brilliant pigmentation. I find it difficult to draw a thin line though as the tip is quite soft due to the gel texture. They're only €4 in this months catalouge so brilliant value.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭mysteries1984

anniehoo wrote: »
    Ok, was dying to come on and show you why i am in love with Benefits They're Real mascara. I posted after xmas saying it was great but id give it a good test run (now at week 7 or so) and its still amazing.

I think I'll be getting this one next even though it's a good tenner more than what I'd normally spend...I got a MAC one most recently but I used to love Benefit, and now I see why. Thanks for the before and after, looks brilliant! I can't believe the difference!

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭pencilsharp

Hi all,

Had a bit of a splurge yesterday in Boots, well only a small one!

I got the Boots essentials toner (the blue one) I use this religiously, find it really good for the price.

There was a special on Schwarzkopf got2b products- 2 for 6euro. So I picked up the Rockin' it dry shampoo which I used this morning and have to say is really good. It goes on invisible and my hair is so soft and silky after using it and it smells lovely- kind of like peaches or pears-really nice. I also got the Powder'ful volumising powder which I'm yet to try out, but I'll let you know what I think once I've used it.

I also got the Boots exfoliating skin sponge- it really does exfoliate your skin but ouch is it rough, I imagine it would be very easy to use it too hard and mark your skin! I definitely wouldn't use it everyday, its a bit like a scouring pad but saying that I do like it!

I saw Amor Amor perfume (30mls) for 19euro in Boots but when I went into Unicare pharmacy it was only 13euro so I picked it up there. Its a lovely fresh floral scent, will be really nice for spring!

Last week I tried out softsole exfoliating foot peel. Its really easy to use and has worked so far but it seems to have slowed down working a lot but there is still a lot of cracked skin left. I used it last Sunday so thats only a week ago and it says it can continue working up to two weeks so we'll see what happens.I'm a bit dubious about it doing any further work as the peeling has nearly completely stopped and I find it hard to believe it'll pick up again but we'll see!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

I can't believe the difference!
    I know, everytime i use it...which is everyday because im now addicted :D i cant believe it either. I really should just wear it on sat nights as its so dramatic but am hooked. Also, its more vibrant in real life but on my eyelids i have the bronzey colour in the Essence Ballerina range which lasts really well.

atqabeautyblogspotcomes.jpg

double post! Mods can you delete please? Thanks

anniehoo wrote: »
    I know, everytime i use it...which is everyday because im now addicted :D i cant believe it either. I really should just wear it on sat nights as its so dramatic but am hooked. Also, its more vibrant in real life but on my eyelids i have the bronzey colour in the Essence Ballerina range which lasts really well.

Quality mascara and cheap but good make up? You're spoiling us :D

• Registered Users Posts: 84,319 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I got the new Revlon Colorburst Lip Butter in colour Tutti Frutti from my friend in the USA as it wont be out here until May

• Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭PlayGirl

Little review of all the things (off top of my head) that I've bought recently...

Rimmel lasting finish lipstick by Kate Moss - shade 1 (red)
    Just bought this today and put it on when I got home, so have been wearing it for a few hours, had dinner etc. It's my first red lipstick and its very red! firetruck red! Nice feeling when its on, good moisture but also lots of staying power, not sure if the other colours in the collection would stay on as long, red always seems to last ages but either way its still on now.

MAC Face and Body Foundation (C1)
    Really like this. A year ago I was using Estee Lauder double wear (shell), then MAC studio fix liquid (NC20), now this, so it's quite a big change. Its lovely and light, kind of tacky when you put it on, I was told to put it on with my fingers not my MAC 187 brush as it gives better coverage (need to kind of 'pat' it into your skin). Stays well all day, I do get a shiny nose that I need to top up with MSFN a few times in the day. It gives a very light coverage but Its quite nice for daytime in college. I feel I can look very tired with it sometimes though.

MAC Lipstick in Blankety
    I have loads of MAC lipsticks at this stage. I like this one, nice muted brownish toned one. Nice colour payoff. Like most MAC lipsticks doesn't last overly long.

Lancome Hypnose Mascara
    Bought this over christmas after reading about the little boxset available in Arnotts for €25 (mascara, eye makeup remover and eyeliner). Haven't used either of the 'freebies' tbh, they're at the bottom of my makeup bag somewhere. As for the mascara, my eyelashes are naturally long and full-ish, but blonde tipped, so any clumps in mascaras show up allot. Wasn't overly impressed with it tbh. Left me quite spider-legged :( I usually use L'oreal Millionise which I love, but also rooted out the Essence falsh lashes one (green tube, not pink) and I love it!

No7 Eyebrow Pencil
    Got the brown/black one of these, tbh anyone with black hair/eyebrows would be out of luck with this one as it is quite light. Don't like it at all. Very hard and too pencil like. I prefer creamier ones like the MAC one, found no7 one too hard.

LUSH Lip Scrub - Bubblegum
    This works well for removing dead skin from lips, of which I get allot in winter, but my god the smell/taste! Its revolting! Try to use it as sparsely as possible

Elizabeth Arden 8hour Lip Balm
    This is fine, not the best at all considering the price (£20stg). Its grand to put on under lipstick but not if you suffer badly from chapped lips. I usually use Blistex Relief Cream (which I love).

Naked 2
    I also have the first Naked pallet. Its lovely, another set of browns. Much prefer the original pallet as the colours seem allot more thought out and matched. Naked 2 seems a little mis-matched, also lacking in darker colours. Still a great set though.

Bojours Khol Eyeliner - Brun
    Really like this, lovely brown shade as I find black too harsh for daytime. Very good colour payoff and staying power :)

Bojours Bronzer
    Had this before, really like it for contouring during day, nice and light but can be built up. It also smells yummy !

BaByliss Thermo Ceramic Heated Rollers
    These ones : http://www.babyliss.co.uk/stylers_3035u.html
    I wanted these purely for volume/style (Kim Krdashian hair :o ), but these give very curly hair. My hair is very curly naturally so didn't like these at all. Might be good for anyone with naturally straight or maybe quite thin hair. Mine is thick and curly naturally, and the roller curls fell out after an hour or two (I had just blowdried my hair straight before using them).

Acrylic Nails (done in J Nails on Capel St)
    Got these done today (full set white tips for €35). Love them! Had gotten gel nails before but much prefer the acrylic and how he did them, as on these the acrylic tips make the white bit, not painted on like I had with gel. Will definitely go back and would recommend to anyone :)

Eyebrow Threading - Body Shop Grafton St
    Horrible experience. I got my eyebrows done in there two weeks ago. Now my eyebrows are in bad enough shape anyways,(long hairs instead of nice shapely short ones) but when I got them done they were a mess! Just thinned out, uneven, the "arch" was more a "step" if that makes sense, basically the same as before but thinner, which I didn't want. I specifically said I wanted neater. II also had to specifically ask her to trim the hairs, anywhere else I've gotten my brows done they've done this without being asked (my eyebrows are v long :o ). Ended up going into MAC and getting them filled in with pencil, the makeup artist said they were so bad I should go get a refund so I did.

Can't think of anything else but I'm sure there's more..

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Shame that the rollers didn't work out for you! I have curly hair and find them a god send! If you're into trying them again, check out this video. It helped my get the long curly blow dry style. I put hairspray in when they're all rolled up and I leave them in until long after they've gone cold. When the rollers come out you need to lightly comb them out with a wide tooth comb, until about half way down.

Maybe blow drying your hair made it too silky, causing them to fall out?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭SmokeyEyes

Oh my god I'm getting that Benefit Mascara!!:D

Got these today, love it!
    nailsinc.jpg

Also this little cutie:

22221-300.jpg

Advertisement