Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2017-21 help to buy scheme - megathread. All help to buy discussion here please

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Zedarg wrote: »
    Hi. I just got approwed for help to buy. Do I have to use it until end of this year?
    Yes. It needs to be claimed by December 19th. The government may extend it in budget 2020 but who knows if that’ll happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Febreeze

Myself and my partner have put in an application for the Help to Buy scheme. Our application is currently under review and has been for the last 2 weeks now. Does anyone know how long it can take before we hear back? Also, what is the process of it all? We've seen houses we like and we've got a location in mind. Has anyone gone through this process before? What was their experience? Did they have any back up plans in cause other plans have failed?

Both negative and positive feedbacks are welcomed as we have no clue what we are supposed to do. So far we are saving as much as we can

Edit: we are both in late 20s if that helps anything and based in Dublin

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Mod Note

Threads Merged

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Doff

Febreeze wrote: »
    Myself and my partner have put in an application for the Help to Buy scheme. Our application is currently under review and has been for the last 2 weeks now. Does anyone know how long it can take before we hear back? Also, what is the process of it all? We've seen houses we like and we've got a location in mind. Has anyone gone through this process before? What was their experience? Did they have any back up plans in cause other plans have failed?

Both negative and positive feedbacks are welcomed as we have no clue what we are supposed to do. So far we are saving as much as we can

Edit: we are both in late 20s if that helps anything and based in Dublin

I had the same issue, give them a ring and they will tell you exactly whats wrong and how to rectify it. Once we rectified our issues the application was proved within a day.

Apply for HTB
    Save enough for mortgage
    Get approval in principal
    Find a new home and place 5k deposit on it, from your savings (This still counts towards your mortgage deposit)
    Provide the seller with your HTB number

Get full approval before roughly 21 days while they send the paperwork to your solicitor
    Work with solicitor to fill in paperwork
    Pay the rest of the deposit on the house once you get full approval
    Draw down the mortgage and pay through your solicitor

Not a bad process to be honest, our solicitor was amazing and guided us through the whole process.

Doff wrote: »
    I had the same issue, give them a ring and they will tell you exactly whats wrong and how to rectify it. Once we rectified our issues the application was proved within a day.

Apply for HTB
    Save enough for mortgage
    Get approval in principal
    Find a new home and place 5k deposit on it, from your savings (This still counts towards your mortgage deposit)
    Provide the seller with your HTB number

Get full approval before roughly 21 days while they send the paperwork to your solicitor
    Work with solicitor to fill in paperwork
    Pay the rest of the deposit on the house once you get full approval
    Draw down the mortgage and pay through your solicitor

Not a bad process to be honest, our solicitor was amazing and guided us through the whole process.

Thanks so much for replying.
    Do you know how long we can wait before using the HTB number? Can we wait until we have just about enough before we use it or do we have to have a set amount first?

• Advertisement

Febreeze wrote: »
    Thanks so much for replying.
    Do you know how long we can wait before using the HTB number? Can we wait until we have just about enough before we use it or do we have to have a set amount first?

HTB will match what you have up to 20k, depending how much you qualify for. So if the house is 340k and you qualify for the HTB, you will get a contribution of 17k (5% of house cost) from HTB on the condition you provide the remaining 17k to make up to required 10%.

Generally new home sellers give 21 days from initial 5k deposit for you to get full approval and submit the rest of the deposit, so if you are confident that within that time frame you can get the rest of the funds and full approval then go for it. The actual HTB amount doesn't get taken until draw down, when you submit it first its more of a "I'm using help to buy to cover half of my deposit"

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭FrankC21

Hi,

My fiancee and I are approved with max relief of 17K, I am unsure of what will be the next step in order to claim it what are the things/Documents I need.
    At the moment we do not have a price in mind, were still going to the bank to get the maximum mortgage they can give us?

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭rosmoke

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Mod Note

Threads merged.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Offtotheraces

Do you recall how long it took for Revenue to give you the approval in the first place?

Mine seems to be taking ages and I'm getting nowhere with them.

Cheers!

• Advertisement

Do you recall how long it took for Revenue to give you the approval in the first place?

Mine seems to be taking ages and I'm getting nowhere with them.

Cheers!

I'm still waiting myself. Applied a few weeks ago and made enquires on the revenue website and still heard nothing. I've tried ringing and I can't get to them at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 CeCe2017

Hiya, it took about a week or a week and a half. Unless it was a quiet time we happened to apply but I’d check in with them if you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,733 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

BOI are telling me that to apply for sanction that includes HTB as a part funding measure I need to have identified an actual property before they will sanction. Does that sound right? Sounds baffling to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 WAL1992

Hi All

At the very start at the process where I've cleaned up the bank account and am now starting to save some money for a deposit. I like the look of this scheme but does anybody think it will be around next year? I seen an economist recently stated that the scheme should be kept to encourage development but the government isn't great in taking advice from economists :pac:

We've just been approved for the scheme. Now its to properly crack down on savings, we have plenty but it's nice to have a decent amount and to check out some places. Excited doesn't begin to describe it

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭murfilein

how is the procedure?

do i apply for the scheme first? do i sign a contract with an agency/developer for a house first?

i mean, unless i get money first, how is it going to "help" me buy a house? i put in 2 offers for 2 houses we liked, one was turned down outright as "its not enough", on the other someone else offered more money.

with the money we have, i dont see us getting a house anytime soon as there will always be someone who can offer more than we can.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

murfilein wrote: »
    how is the procedure?

do i apply for the scheme first? do i sign a contract with an agency/developer for a house first?

i mean, unless i get money first, how is it going to "help" me buy a house? i put in 2 offers for 2 houses we liked, one was turned down outright as "its not enough", on the other someone else offered more money.

with the money we have, i dont see us getting a house anytime soon as there will always be someone who can offer more than we can.

As this is only for new build houses, you won't be putting and bid/offers in.

You apply for Help to Buy approval first, find out how much you are eligible for, then you go looking at new houses. When you put a deposit down and sign contracts, you'll submit a Help to Buy claim and the developer will be able to claim the sum.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Htbhelp

Quick question - have heard varying reports as to the process.

Am I right in saying when paying deposit on signing contracts, you pay 5% and the other 5% is claimed by the vendor from Revenue via your solicitor? Or is it that you pay the 10% and claim back 5% from Revenue?

Many thanks

Apologies, should specify - I was referring to a new build as part of a new development.

Htbhelp wrote: »

Am I right in saying when paying deposit on signing contracts, you pay 5% and the other 5% is claimed by the vendor from Revenue via your solicitor? Or is it that you pay the 10% and claim back 5% from Revenue?

Many thanks

Apologies, should specify - I was referring to a new build as part of a new development.

You only need 5% and to have paid sufficient tax in the last 4 years to equal the remaining 5%. You get a code from revenue that you provide to the builders when signing so they can claim it.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Daniogroove

Many thanks

The first one is correct as it's to "help you buy", that's the whole idea. Although apparently some developers are trying to make people do the second way which isn't how it's meant to operate as you need to have a full deposit then.

• Advertisement

Thank you both for the replies. We had understood it as you’ve explained but heard recently that the developer asked another buyer to foot the full 10% and claim the HTB back which as you said defeats the purpose of help to buy. Are they entitled to do this? We are approved for help to buy wouldn’t be in a position to foot the other 5% on top of our savings.

Thank you both for the replies. We had understood it as you’ve explained but heard recently that the developer asked another buyer to foot the full 10% and claim the HTB back which as you said defeats the purpose of help to buy. Are they entitled to do this? We are approved for help to buy wouldn’t be in a position to foot the other 5% on top of our savings.

Technically they can get away with it. My advice would be to not mention it until after you've paid your holding deposit. Say it to the solicitor then and let them handle it. I just had it written into the contract as a stipulation. The developers are in that far then they just leave it and if you have to argue it at that stage you're in a better position then.

Technically they can get away with it. My advice would be to not mention it until after you've paid your holding deposit. Say it to the solicitor then and let them handle it. I just had it written into the contract as a stipulation. The developers are in that far then they just leave it and if you have to argue it at that stage you're in a better position then.

Great thanks, will check out the contracts and chat with the solicitor about it.

Great thanks, will check out the contracts and chat with the solicitor about it.

Is the developer listed on the approved contractor list? If they are, once your application is approved they can get their money in a few days. Mine was in the process of getting on it so my sale was done and dusted before he got on the list so my solicitor asked me to send it in then and he had his money as few days after accepted it. Sound of him though, most wouldn't do that.

Is the developer listed on the approved contractor list? If they are, once your application is approved they can get their money in a few days. Mine was in the process of getting on it so my sale was done and dusted before he got on the list so my solicitor asked me to send it in then and he had his money as few days after accepted it. Sound of him though, most wouldn't do that.

They are yeah, have already sent the HTB codes to the solicitor as requested so am hoping this will all be a non-issue. Just started questioning when I’d heard about another buyer in the same development.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭colly10

We recently got our approval on HTB.
    Just wondering if we we’re to put down a deposit in August and the house wasn’t actually completed till February, at what point do they take the grant?

If you don’t pay till it’s ready I assume we’d loose the grant?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Phileas Frog

colly10 wrote: »
    We recently got our approval on HTB.
    Just wondering if we we’re to put down a deposit in August and the house wasn’t actually completed till February, at what point do they take the grant?

If you don’t pay till it’s ready I assume we’d loose the grant?

When you sign contracts

• Registered Users Posts: 21,113 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Put in our application a while back, all approved and claim code forwarded on to developers solicitor. No claim has been made yet. Does this lie with the solicitor to sort, or is it us? We haven't received contracts back, loan offer letter is signed and returned to bank. Supposed to move in on 28th (Or that week anyway), so don't want this holding it up unnecessarily.

Edit: all sorted, didn't realise it was our side to upload contracts and mortgage info

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭fungie

Mushy wrote: »
    Put in our application a while back, all approved and claim code forwarded on to developers solicitor. No claim has been made yet. Does this lie with the solicitor to sort, or is it us? We haven't received contracts back, loan offer letter is signed and returned to bank. Supposed to move in on 28th (Or that week anyway), so don't want this holding it up unnecessarily.

Edit: all sorted, didn't realise it was our side to upload contracts and mortgage info

We just signed our contracts and gave the HTB details to our solicitor and bank.

Do we have to do something? Our solicitor said nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭niamhzie

fungie wrote: »
    We just signed our contracts and gave the HTB details to our solicitor and bank.

Do we have to do something? Our solicitor said nothing.

When the builders solicitors countersign the contract you need to upload it and your mortgage agreement to the HTB portal. Our solrs weren't too familiar with the process and I think it set us back a couple of days. Your solrs will receive a copy so follow up with them to get a pdf of it.

Advertisement