Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Seems like a good deal on firewood....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

I think he just calls it a ton bag, that's how every one refers to them really, don't think that's underhand

I don't even think all builders bags are necessarily 1m3, some are .6 of a cubic meter, so if the bag wasn't in fact 1m3, that would be sly

at the price delivered, if dry, it might be value

I’m just letting people know that a “ton bag” is not a tonne of logs, that Facebook page has “ton bag” all over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Sasso

Agree. There are three types/sizes of ton bags. What some advertise are technically correct as they say a ton bag of hardwood etc but are using ton bags that are used for sand etc. So it's a play on words. When comparing suppliers' prices you may not be comparing like with like. So shop around and ask plenty questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

My experience with a tonne bag of logs was that the top few rows were lovely blocks but as I went down through the bag the timber was getting smaller and worse quality.
    Eventually got to the bottom of the bag and last barrowful were dirty and wet.
    Some places fill bags from a bulk heap and all blocks are similar. This is the ones to buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

My experience with a tonne bag of logs was that the top few rows were lovely blocks but as I went down through the bag the timber was getting smaller and worse quality.
    Eventually got to the bottom of the bag and last barrowful were dirty and wet.
    Some places fill bags from a bulk heap and all blocks are similar. This is the ones to buy.

where had you it sitting? did you move them on the day?

I moved them all on the day, was a fairly consistent load, air dried, which is what i want, most were 20% a few slightly higher, but each tree is going to be slightly different, especially if mixed varieties

• Registered Users Posts: 4,380 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

whats the better wood for a wood burning stove in my house - both are kiln dried..

Ash or Oak?

DT

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭deisedav

whats the better wood for a wood burning stove in my house - both are kiln dried..

Ash or Oak?

DT

Both are good, the oak will last a bit longer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

Ash or Oak?

DT

I prefer ash. It’s not as messy as oak which tends to have lots of splinters and flakey bark.

I also prefer the brighter flame with ash

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭deisedav

Cloudio9 wrote: »
    I prefer ash. It’s not as messy as oak which tends to have lots of splinters and flakey bark.

I also prefer the brighter flame with ash

Yeah ash is good alright. Beech another good one too but not as easy to come by

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

I always thought if it was kiln dried it didn't matter what breed of tree it was.
    Wrong again I suppose.

I always thought if it was kiln dried it didn't matter what breed of tree it was.
    Wrong again I suppose.

Well there’s not much in it, I just prefer ash.

There’s a lot of kiln dried birch around which smells nice but burns a little fast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭ablelocks

bumping for winter 2019...

spotted this on the coop store website

600kg kiln dried ash €199.99

oak available too...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭the.red.baron

i'd say the original price was a bit on the high side for a meter cubed crate

ablelocks wrote: »

oak available too...

Is that a genuine discount? Would this normally be €289 or is that a home store and more price?:D

Also, which is better burn. Ash or oak?

i'd say the original price was a bit on the high side for a meter cubed crate

Any alternatives cheers?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,121 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Don't think you'll find cheaper than that for a crate of kiln dried Ash, though I'd appreciate the link too if there is.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

oak available too...

You have to pick up something for €1.01 to save €40 delivery :D

Edit: That should be €0.01 really but it tells me €1.01 when I add it to the basket.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭Homer

Do they deliver nationwide or just in the regions where they have stores?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭ablelocks

Homer wrote: »
    Do they deliver nationwide or just in the regions where they have stores?

nationwide i think.

201 with free delivery is decent value.

Wheety wrote: »
    You have to pick up something for €1.01 to save €40 delivery :D

Edit: That should be €0.01 really but it tells me €1.01 when I add it to the basket.

What to buy for €1.01 or €0.01 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

nationwide i think.

201 with free delivery is decent value.

Will it fit in my balcony😁😁

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,609 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

oak available too...

Thanks for bumping, Im new to the wood buring lark this winter and just shopping around at the moment. Its seems you can get shafted over these ton bags if they are not 1mx1mx1m. Some of them are 80cm3 which is only 0.512 of a cublc metre.

The crate in the picture seems to be 1m3 or maybe even bigger? The ad doesnt say the crates size.

I've comes across the Dublin Firewood Company selling a 1.6m3 bag of kiln dried hardwoods for €285 with free delivery. They do the same size in softwood for €220. I only want to have one delivery hence thinking that 1.6m3 should do the trick for the winter.
    https://www.dublinfirewood.ie/product/1-6m3-bag-kiln-dried-hardwood-firewood-free-nationwide-delivery/

Anyone here bought from that company before and how was the wood?

Oh and on log stores- I bought this a couple of weeks back. It comes flatpack but is really easy to put together with a drill, took about 20 minutes. It is 60cm deep so designed to take two rows of 25cm logs. Volume of logstore is about 1.4m3, it would be 1.6m3 but the slanting roof chops a bit off.
    https://www.woodford.ie/log-store.html

That company is in Cavan but they distribute to Agri stores around the country- I got mine from a company called Glanbia Connect. It was €179 delivered.

Otherwise whats the deal on kindling, was in B&Q a few days ago and a bag was €9 :eek: Is that normal, seems very pricey. Do you need much of it to get a fire going or does a bag last ages or something??

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Oh and on log stores- I bought this a couple of weeks back. It comes flatpack but is really easy to put together with a drill, took about 20 minutes. It is 60cm deep so designed to take two rows of 25cm logs. Volume of logstore is about 1.4m3, it would be 1.6m3 but the slanting roof chops a bit off.

That company is in Cavan but they distribute to Agri stores around the country- I got mine from a company called Glanbia Connect. It was €179 delivered.

Otherwise whats the deal on kindling, was in B&Q a few days ago and a bag was €9 :eek: Is that normal, seems very pricey. Do you need much of it to get a fire going or does a bag last ages or something??

For kindling, I chop up the crate that comes with the logs using a reciprocating saw and that will last a good while. You don't need much kindling if using kiln dried logs.

Thanks for bumping, Im new to the wood buring lark this winter and just shopping around at the moment. Its seems you can get shafted over these ton bags if they are not 1mx1mx1m. Some of them are 80cm3 which is only 0.512 of a cublc metre.

The crate in the picture seems to be 1m3 or maybe even bigger? The ad doesnt say the crates size.

I've comes across the Dublin Firewood Company selling a 1.6m3 bag of kiln dried hardwoods for €285 with free delivery. They do the same size in softwood for €220. I only want to have one delivery hence thinking that 1.6m3 should do the trick for the winter.
    https://www.dublinfirewood.ie/product/1-6m3-bag-kiln-dried-hardwood-firewood-free-nationwide-delivery/

Anyone here bought from that company before and how was the wood?

The 1m crate of ash above for €200 is much better value than the 1.6m bag as the logs are stacked in the crate whereas the logs are just thrown in to the bag so you're not getting 60% more wood.

vicwatson wrote: »
    Is that a genuine discount? Would this normally be €289 or is that a home store and more price?:D

Also, which is better burn. Ash or oak?

I prefer the brighter flame with ash and with oak the bark tends to break off so ash is cleaner inside the house.

Cloudio9 wrote: »
    The 1m crate of ash above for €200 is much better value than the 1.6m bag as the logs are stacked in the crate whereas the logs are just thrown in to the bag so you're not getting 60% more wood.

Thanks that makes sense.

One company I spoke to a few weeks back said they have some sort of vibrating machine that shakes their bags as theyre being filled from a conveyor. Not sure how much more gets in doing that but it makes sense to buy wood that is tightly stacked over bags with a lot of air in them.

The whole quantity thing with buying wood is a bit of a minefield really, its good we have this thread to discuss.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,121 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

We have a very similar log store and it's great, though I would advise if anyone is buying kiln dried wood then you need to put a tarp or similar on the front as it defeats the purpose of paying extra for the kiln dried stuff if it's left exposed to the elements.

Below is what we did with ours and it keeps it bone dry for the most part and still lets air circulate:

R5fIpfwl.jpg

For kindling I just buy zip the bags in tesco for 3 or 4 euro.

Yeah I bought a tarp in B&Q for €6 yesterday. Have yet to rig it up but it should do the trick. I have the log store pointing away from the prevailing rain so hopefully that helps. I believe it is important not to suffocate the wood too much as humidity will make the moisture level rise, it needs some airflow to keep it dry.

Yeah you want some gaps and definitely don't want the tarp actually touching the wood.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Nice, I'd been on the look out for a while and this seems like a decent deal. Ordered some Ash and chucked in some waxy firelighters to get the free delivery. The Crate just seems tidier than a bag for storing.

This is our first year with a stove, was all oil up to now. Any idea how long that crate should last us? I know that's like how long is a piece of string, but the house would have someone there 4 out of the 7 days and we'd all be in bed by 9 :) So there won't be a raging fire all day.

Advertisement