Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shannon radar down again.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

There must be a big fault on the Shannon radar. It is offline for at least 5 days now. I suppose the bank holiday weekend in the middle of summer didn’t help as so many people like to be off.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,834 ✭✭✭pauldry

At least Sligo is on the coast.

Today there was less than 1mm in Sligo but heavy thunderstorms nearby in Ballymote that were barely visible on radar but showed on satellite

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭Kutebride

..........and still not working ;(

• Registered Users Posts: 18,078 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Tweet issued again today, as well an an update, or more lack of one! "No further updates – 8th August"

• Registered Users Posts: 23,370 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Pain in the neck not having this available.

• Advertisement

Pain in the neck not having this available.

Very much so.

Went camping during the week, very much missed the rainfall radar when trying to figure out when we had time between showers!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,853 ✭✭✭Storm 10

My other half wanted to go for a walk yesterday so she asked the Son was there any rain coming, he checked not knowing the radar was down and said no rain, she headed out and fifteen minutes later she was absolutely soaked not impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭Joe Public

They mentioned on the RTE weather forecast yesterday evening that Shannon radar was waiting for a part. Going back through the years when it was out of service for extended periods this was always the story. What makes Shannon radar so unique that it's very prone to faults and often not an easy fix?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,423 ✭✭✭weisses

Its a pathetic ... third world meteorological infrastructure in a first world country

• Registered Users Posts: 4,730 ✭✭✭Comhrá

A page from Boards weather forum from ten years back.

Sadly little has changed since then. Nothing to suggest anything will change going forward either.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin//showthread.php?t=2055754470&page=4

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Latest Update on their website

Friday 9th August: A major repair is being carried out as a matter of top priority by Met Éireann especially given the current unsettled Atlantic weather pattern. The progress will be updated here on Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,730 ✭✭✭Comhrá

from 2012:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056821074&page=2
    Quote:
    Met Eireann apologises for the continued interruption of service from the Shannon Radar. During routine maintenance, a faulty drive motor and gearbox were diagnosed. Met Eireann technicians have been working on the faults all week; the drive motor has been replaced, but the delivery of a new gearbox from suppliers has been delayed and is expected by Monday 10th. The installation of the new gearbox and other tasks necessary to bring the Radar back into service are likely to take a few days thereafter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Portsalon

Latest Update on their website

Friday 9th August: A major repair is being carried out as a matter of top priority by Met Éireann especially given the current unsettled Atlantic weather pattern. The progress will be updated here on Monday.

Which, to me, suggests that it won't be fixed before Monday at the earliest. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Popoutman

It'd be nice to have a weather radar in Belmullet and somewhere in west Kerry, to give better coverage of the incoming weather from the West..

If the problem was discovered during "routine maintenance" does that mean it was fine until they touched it? now it's a big overtime claim :)

An Joanne said on TV that with Shannon down the country has lost half its rainfall radar coverage.

Popoutman wrote: »
    It'd be nice to have a weather radar in Belmullet and somewhere in west Kerry, to give better coverage of the incoming weather from the West..

West Kerry would just overlap with the Shannon one. A waste of money.

Perhaps Belmullet or somewhere in Donegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭Bsal

Looking at netweather's radar it looks like they are not using data from the Dublin airport radar, you can see the range ring ends just before Shannon airport which suggests they are only using Belfast radar, but if you go to met.ie website you can see the range ring from the Dublin airport radar extending as far as Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭REBELSAFC

Popoutman wrote: »

Here in West Cork the Met Radar really doesn't cover us at all.The showers are on top of us before they show on the radar. A radar at Sherkin or Valentia would offer much better coverage for the South West of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭ecowise

I suspect part of the problem with the ME service is that they have a monopoly in Ireland. It is interesting to see how the UK Met Office have upped their game on Youtube since they lost the BBC contract:

https://youtu.be/qPbNN-hW69o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Today's update on the ME website:

Come on lads.....I've gotten soaked twice this week because of the lack of radar coverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,795 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

If it was the Airport radar it would be fixed in hours.

Discodog wrote: »
    If it was the Airport radar it would be fixed in hours.

At least, they would have a plan B

Bsal wrote: »
    Looking at netweather's radar it looks like they are not using data from the Dublin airport radar, you can see the range ring ends just before Shannon airport which suggests they are only using Belfast radar, but if you go to met.ie website you can see the range ring from the Dublin airport radar extending as far as Cork.

No, that's just the format they use, they are using the Dublin radar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Phileas Frog

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    Today's update on the ME website:

Come on lads.....I've gotten soaked twice this week because of the lack of radar coverage.

Ball.cocks. you got soaked because it rained.

We are in a part of the country that depends on Shannon radar for accurate rainfall coverage. Here in Limerick we do get coverage from Dublin but we don't have a clue how intense the nearby rainfall is. I noticed other posters reporting getting caught out because of the lack of coverage towards the south west. Kerry and West Cork have absolutely no coverage at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭seefin

Does Shannon radar cover Cork city? No mention of rain on met.ie today yet a horrendous downpour a half hour ago. Am going to have to stop checking weather online as invariably it's pretty unaccurate on all the sites. Noticed this especially this summer

It would cover the cork area yes. The Dublin radar is very poor at picking up precipitation from that distance. (Curvature of earth, hills in the way etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭ecowise

"Does Shannon radar cover Cork city? No mention of rain on met.ie today yet a horrendous downpour a half hour ago. Am going to have to stop checking weather online as invariably it's pretty unaccurate on all the sites. Noticed this especially this summer"

In theory but it is not reliable in practice. We are located in west Waterford and it sometimes picks up precipitation and sometimes not. Besides the Earth's curvature the W-E line of high ground from the Galtee's to the Comeraghs is presumably part of the reason for this. It appears to me to work better (but not perfect) at this range for precipitation coming from a greater height such as in a warm front but appears less able to pick up showers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,752 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Do these radars have to be based at airports? I'm thinking one in the Slieve Blooms would provide a good range for most of the island.

Advertisement