Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What Really Scared You As A Child?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Did anyone else find the original Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory pretty scary as a young child?

Especially the part when they all went through that tunnel full of very nasty things? :(

Boy...they really did make disturbing and frightening material for children in the days of yore...

Willy Wonka as played by Gene Wilder scared me right up until the very end of the film every time I watched it. You could never really tell if he was benign or a baddie.

The Child Catcher in Chittly Chitty Bang Bang was absolutely horrifying to me. Truly frightening to a small child.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭frosty123

In no particular order...the dark, dogs, strangers, spiders, spooky movies and...catholics (I grew up as a timid southern protestant during the troubles) ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Cal4567

Dr Who. Sounds embarrassing now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Cali_girl wrote: »
    Triffids
    To this day they still freak me out.
    Tapping at the windows, crossing barren tarmac buffers, engulfing buildings and nobody could stop them? :eek::eek::eek:

THE NIGHTMARES.

The book by John Wyndham is top notch. Anyone who likes zombie or post-apocalypse films and shows should read it, a lot of the tropes in them are taken straight from the book.
    Wyndham also wrote Chocky which was made into a creepy childrens drama in the 80s.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

One of my favourite books, and authors ever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Rockbeast2

Wyndham also wrote Chocky which was made into a creepy childrens drama in the 80s.

That intro music for the Chocky TV show gave me the chills as a kid but I loved it!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Lupophobia is what i had as a kid.
    Look it up. Still uneasy at times thinking bout it

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭ClydeTallyBump

I watched Alive and I was petrified of cannibals and being stranded and having to eat people. Had a few nightmares about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭sallysue2

Guns. Terrified of them, still hate seeing them. Many years ago when I was a young one and the army used to go around with the money van, my mother was stuck in the post office while they were delivering cash. That was back in the 80's so I was left in the car alone. Think i was about 4 at the time. I was terrified. My grandad had a shot gun so I was always warned how dangerous guns were.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

My sister showed me Scream when I was about six or seven, scared the absolute sh!te out of me

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Lupophobia is what i had as a kid.
    Look it up. Still uneasy at times thinking bout it

https://phobia.wikia.org/wiki/Luposlipaphobia :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Genuinely wet myself there 😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Musefan

Being the last one to fall asleep, aliens and comets!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

PsychoPete wrote: »
    My sister showed me Scream when I was about six or seven, scared the absolute sh!te out of me

It's technically a comedy

It's technically a comedy
    But certainly not suitable for kids. The first 5 mins alone would give children nightmares.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Cyrusmekon

Critters.....To this day can't watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭accensi0n

Cyrusmekon wrote: »
    Critters.....To this day can't watch.

Loved that film, think I saw it when I was about 9.

Don't think I was scared of too much in that sense as a kid, but one thing that used to freak me out was sometimes I would wake up but couldn't move my body for a minute or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭2006

The incredible hulk, I always though he was going to jump out of the tele and kill me 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 13,355 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

2006 wrote: »
    The incredible hulk, I always though he was going to jump out of the tele and kill me 😂

Ha. I knew someone like that. I pissed myself laughing at him :)

Some of Stephen King's short stories scared me way more than his novels.
    The children of the corn, Jerusalem's Lot, the one where the teacher goes round the twist (or does she?) and starts to think her pupils are really demons in disguise.

Any horror film with spooky little children like the twins in The Shining, Village of the Damned, The Omen etc.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The producers originally planned to use a stop-motion model created by Ray Harryhausen for the bird. However, due to budgetary limitations ...

... It has been reported that the marionette of the "Giant Claw" monster, made by a model-maker in Mexico City, cost producer Sam Katzman a mere $50.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,644 ✭✭✭storker

RTE used to have a late-night weekend spooky movie slot called Lights Out. I must have been around 12. One night it was The Masque of the Red Death and I pleaded with my parents to be allowed watch it as I was developing an interest in horror. They warned me it might be too much and so it turned out, not far into the movie, when Vincent Price looks in on the sick woman and her red face looks at the camera and screams. That was the end of my viewing and for years afterwards, until well into my teens, I would never lie in bed facing to my left, because I was convinced I would see her face there, staring at me, screaming...

It didn't put me off the genre though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,644 ✭✭✭storker

Wibbs wrote: »
    The earliest fear I can remember is walking as a toddler on a very windy beach in Kerry with my parents and clutching so tightly to my teddy bear, because I was afraid he'd blow away and be lost in the sea. I was terrified and kep holding him tightly in the car as we drove away. I didn't lose him, he's safe and sound in a wardrobe today. :D

Be honest, he's still in your bed isn't he.

Seriously though, when the stories about the church's treatment of the kids in its care came out, the thing that I thought was particularly cruel and vile, even alongside the beatings and sex abuse, was when the kids' teddy bears etc were taken away from them on arrival. Even if they had otherwise been treated kindly those kids would still have needed their cuddly toys for comfort. It made me think that those people weren't just content to be cnuts; they worked at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

I was totally freaked out by the Babooshka video by Kate Bush. Her mad looking eyes in the video terrified me. I even had a nightmare that she appeared in my living room and tried to devour me.

Any time I was misbehaving I was told by my parents or brother that a gypsy named "Con Sheridan" would come and take me away. I was terrified of this "Con Sheridan" character whoever he was.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Baybay

A combination of our hallway & front door terrified me as a child.
    The hall was T shaped with the bedrooms at one end of the cross bar & kitchen, living room etc at the other. The front door was at the end of the vertical bar.
    The porch light was always on at night but not the hall lights so I suppose I could see my reflection in the glass as I passed by. So I used to sprint from my bedroom to the kitchen, barely glimpsing this reflection chasing after me as I ran. TerrIfying.
    As an adult, when visiting my parents, I’d force myself to walk down the hallway like a normal person even though part of me still wanted to sprint & I always kept a wary eye on the front door.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 EasterSheep

being outside alone in the dark always got me

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I was totally freaked out by the Babooshka video by Kate Bush. Her mad looking eyes in the video terrified me. I even had a nightmare that she appeared in my living room and tried to devour me.
    I had a similar dream but devour was used in a different context... :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

my brother used to shove me face first into the corner of our couch so my head squeezed inside the couch. i remember the stale smell and sometimes hitting off crumbs or a coin or two that was in there. he called it ''the hole'. fuelled my claustrophobia.

he wasnt a monster, just a typical dick move trying to get a rise out of me in sibling rivalry. when we fought i used to pray he'd forget all about ''the hole'' and try something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

I remember plays being on TV back in the eighties, Kind of thing reserved for sky arts etc today ,im talking about the one's that required sub titles

Anyway, there was always a character with a big dramatic voice, just the whole singing at each other deal

Strange what spooks you as a kid

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Did anyone else find the original Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory pretty scary as a young child?

Especially the part when they all went through that tunnel full of very nasty things? :(

Boy...they really did make disturbing and frightening material for children in the days of yore...

Oh I hate those Willy Wonka films!Also The Wizard of Oz and Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.I really hated those as a small child, and still wouldn't be lining up to watch them.

Advertisement